Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 guyinkk

Had KN out here for an install on Feb 11th. Failed with no light at DP. I now have cable coming from the DP opposite my house coming across my garden, left unattached in a spool at the side of my house.

Waiting impatiently for OE to fix the issue.

My service provider seems to have no influence on how quickly this happens. First world problem, I know, however the lack of information that flows between OE and the service provider in a situation like this seems odd to me. I've been told there's no information on the OE ticket and they'll be in touch as soon as they know anything. Wait wait wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

How are installers informed about changes in procedure such as this? Are there training days or is it something like a mass email and hope that everyone understands the implications of the changes?

Email and to contact line manager if unsure of procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Sorry if this has been asked many times before.

Does anyone know roughly from when the fiber passes the house how long after that work is complete before you can order?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

limnam wrote: »

Does anyone know roughly from when the fiber passes the house how long after that work is complete before you can order?

Four months for me and two months for someone else - two pages back in the thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

limnam wrote: »

It was about 4 months for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Install due for the morning. Fingers cross.

Kn on site and ducked is clear. Hopefully light at the dp.

Kn on site and ducked is clear. Hopefully light at the dp.

How did ya get on?

Great job. He had a 60mt cobra and needed more. He rang a fella and tipped of for a half hour and returned with a 150mt. Topping fella he was. Got the 150 package and it’s around the 140 mark wired. About 100 on the iPad Wi-Fi and 50 on the xcover4 phone. Happy out.

How do I change nat settings on this gigabox router. Thanks.

• Advertisement

How do I change nat settings on this gigabox router. Thanks.

Wouldn't be too sure but there's an app for the Vodafone gigabox sh3000
    On play store or iTunes Vodafone app
    Can change ssid passwords and lock out users or see who's at home by devices on network. Diagnostics and all that good stuff.
    You'll probably find it in there if you can change it.

Thank you. Some difference in fairness worth the wait. Turned out the delay was two fibers spliced incorrectly. Mixed up is what the guy said.

Thank you. Some difference in fairness worth the wait. Turned out the delay was two fibers spliced incorrectly. Mixed up is what the guy said.

Two fibres spliced incorrectly?
    A bad splice on both ends or network splices in wrong place?

In the network he said. When I have a wired connection from laptop to router should the speed on Speedtest be steady say over a few tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

In the network he said. When I have a wired connection from laptop to router should the speed on Speedtest be steady say over a few tests.

On 150 package I get 143/144 without fail over wired.

I am getting anywhere between 70to 140 and ping is from 8 to 20, upload is always 28.something. Does it take a while to settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does it take a while to settle.

No it should just work I get 5/6 ping for Irish speed test servers.
    Which ISP are you with?

Vodafone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Vodafone

Are you using the same Speedtest server each test? You can specify the server it uses and Vodafone's is probably going to give you the best performance.

Vodafone and airwire. Both are close enough to each other in fairness. Looking like a call to 1907 in the morning. I’d imagine it’s closed now.

• Advertisement

Ok speeds are well up this morning. Rang care and the guy said it should be spot on after a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

correction wrote: »
    I've got the 1GB line with Airwire. Everything is great and has been since we got it but the last few days the wifi has been consistently dropping for a few seconds at a time. It's fine when plugged in so it's just the wifi dropping but I've no idea why. Anyone have this problem and know of a fix?

Still been having this issue for the past few weeks. I've tried changing the channel but it didn't help any.

I'm plugged into my PC so the only place I'm noticing it is on the phone and PS4. It doesn't bother me much on the phone as it's only a few seconds it drops for but on the PS4 it will kick me from games and parties.

I'm planning on plugging the PS4 in directly now anyway but if I could sort the wifi drops out I'd still like to.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

babi-hrse wrote: »
    An openeir van or a kn van with time on their hands and a light meter.
    There really isn't any real way of knowing unless someone takes an order and someone comes to install.

KN here right now, and said the DP was live as it was hanging, before it got put up fully! Ducting is clear thankfully even though he would have put a line across to the gable end of the house if it wasn't. Putting the modem in the middle of the house too...sound guy.
    Oh, and I only ordered this connection this morning at 11am...was supposed to come Monday but he said he was in the area & could do it if I was home!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,331 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Back again in this thread after giving up for a few months as I was too busy.

First off, can anyone clarify or confirm that the KN chaps will install in my attic? I've been told that they aren't supposed to, but also that if you have everything in place for them, they will do. I had a failed installation 5 months ago or so and the guy then, who couldn't access my underground duct, offered to take an overhead line to the side of the house and into the attic.

I'm planning on laying new duct and a pull line all the way from the pole to the side of the house and up into the attic.

Secondly, who's got the best deals at the minute? Eir quoted me €46 a month the other day for 150mbps but today told me that the offer has ended and its now €65.

Vodafone have a great deal if you're on the Siro network but as I'm on the Eir network the best they have is a 12 month contract that works out at €42 a month average for 150mbps.

Pure Telecom are €44 on an 18 month deal and 1000mbps.

Normally I would pay a little over the odds for Eir because it gives me free BT Sport but that deal ends in August so I'm less inclined to stick with them, especially with the €20 increase from yesterday's offer.

myate wrote: »
    KN here right now, and said the DP was live as it was hanging, before it got put up fully! Ducting is clear thankfully even though he would have put a line across to the gable end of the house if it wasn't. Putting the modem in the middle of the house too...sound guy.
    Oh, and I only ordered this connection this morning at 11am...was supposed to come Monday but he said he was in the area & could do it if I was home!

You ordered it today and got it installed the same day? I haven't a clue how that got through so fast. There's no way in would even have the order that fast to action on it.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Back again in this thread after giving up for a few months as I was too busy.

First off, can anyone clarify or confirm that the KN chaps will install in my attic? I've been told that they aren't supposed to, but also that if you have everything in place for them, they will do. I had a failed installation 5 months ago or so and the guy then, who couldn't access my underground duct, offered to take an overhead line to the side of the house and into the attic.

I'm planning on laying new duct and a pull line all the way from the pole to the side of the house and up into the attic.

Secondly, who's got the best deals at the minute? Eir quoted me €46 a month the other day for 150mbps but today told me that the offer has ended and its now €65.

Vodafone have a great deal if you're on the Siro network but as I'm on the Eir network the best they have is a 12 month contract that works out at €42 a month average for 150mbps.

Pure Telecom are €44 on an 18 month deal and 1000mbps.

Normally I would pay a little over the odds for Eir because it gives me free BT Sport but that deal ends in August so I'm less inclined to stick with them, especially with the €20 increase from yesterday's offer.

If there's a drawstring through the loft area to bring it through they usually will and install to a board next to the access hatch they're not supposed to but if you cite you'll be renovating it and want them to leave a few loops of fibre loose in the loft area and just mount all their Stuff on a sheet of plywood the size of an A3 page they should oblige. They could cite the customer is renovating the attic and wants to be able to move the connection by screwing the connection plywood to a finished wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

You ordered it today and got it installed the same day? I haven't a clue how that got through so fast. There's no way in would even have the order that fast to action on it.
    I kid you not! The most efficient service I've ever had to do with a house!!
    I was on the Eir web chat going through it, ordered it at around 11am. There were KN vans a couple of doors up the road doing an install but they left around midday. Just before 2pm, KN rings, guy said he was still in the area & if I was home he could install it. He came within 10 mins of that call, by 4pm he had it installed! He said when he finished the first job, he went & his boss gave him his work for the week, seen where my house was & went back to get the same area done!

From 3-5mb down, 0.3up (more important for me) to 135-145mb, 26-30mb up! I was stuck with Eir because of contract, but ordering this was hassle free. I know KN do the install but Eir still sent the details over immediately. Worth the 99 quid install fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,331 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

babi-hrse wrote: »
    If there's a drawstring through the loft area to bring it through they usually will and install to a board next to the access hatch they're not supposed to but if you cite you'll be renovating it and want them to leave a few loops of fibre loose in the loft area and just mount all their Stuff on a sheet of plywood the size of an A3 page they should oblige. They could cite the customer is renovating the attic and wants to be able to move the connection by screwing the connection plywood to a finished wall.

Thanks.

Another question, with regards to the line into the house. Do I need to carry the duct through into the roofspace or just take the duct up to the entry point and then just drill a big enough hole for the fibre cable, rather than a dorty big 32mm hole to put the duct and all through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thanks.

Another question, with regards to the line into the house. Do I need to carry the duct through into the roofspace or just take the duct up to the entry point and then just drill a big enough hole for the fibre cable, rather than a dorty big 32mm hole to put the duct and all through?

My duct was blocked so came in through the attic, used an existing hole I'd drilled for a cat6 cable in was using for a WISP
    A hole just big enough for the fiber cable should be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement