Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

myate wrote: »
    I know KN do the install but Eir still sent the details over immediately. Worth the 99 quid install fee!

It all goes through the same system. For all the providers. No difference.

You just got very lucky, that KN in your area was down on jobs that day and somebody started looking through jobs, that could be pulled forward.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thanks.

Another question, with regards to the line into the house. Do I need to carry the duct through into the roofspace or just take the duct up to the entry point and then just drill a big enough hole for the fibre cable, rather than a dorty big 32mm hole to put the duct and all through?

An 8mm hole should suffice
    If you can fit a cat5 cable through you can fit a fibre cable through.
    It doesn't need to be ducted per se in attic it's just if your going to be leaving a path to pull fibre around. If it's an easy enough without Twists and turns around joists and purlins you could just lay it across the edges of the attic space

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aymzter

I just dropped you a PM, as I couldn't get hold of you. No problem getting you a connection though. OpenEIR have you on a different street name than eircode.ie and that's where that one goes amiss. It's a simple fix.

Looking forward to install tomorrow - will update when sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,331 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the folk who have been quoting me for broadband are also offering to keep my landline for a fiver a month.

Does that mean I would still have the standard copper line providing my landline, or would it be a phone line via the broadband?

Just checking if I would need to change my monitored alarm to a GSM unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the folk who have been quoting me for broadband are also offering to keep my landline for a fiver a month.

Does that mean I would still have the standard copper line providing my landline, or would it be a phone line via the broadband?

Just checking if I would need to change my monitored alarm to a GSM unit.

Only 'they' can tell you for sure.

I have retained my landline on copper when getting an eir install of FTTH, without any additional cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I opted for VOIP over fibre and in retrospect, wish I had retained the copper phone line. Main reason is that there are far more ,and cheaper, options for routers that don't have phone ports. The other is not putting all your eggs in one basket when the lights go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

cnocbui wrote: »
    I opted for VOIP over fibre and in retrospect, wish I had retained the copper phone line. Main reason is that there are far more ,and cheaper, options for routers that don't have phone ports. The other is not putting all your eggs in one basket when the lights go out.

I bought one of these APC UPS.

I have the ONT, router, phone, sat boxes and TV plugged into it. If the power drops, I can power off the TV and have about an hour of internet and VoIP calls on battery. Also lets the sat box keep recording if there's a power blip or lightening trips the circuit. Been very useful in the last few storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Secondly, who's got the best deals at the minute? Eir quoted me €46 a month the other day for 150mbps but today told me that the offer has ended and its now €65.

I got this deal today. I signed upto Eir 12 months ago when they were going door to door and was on this deal:

Bundle Name: eir Complete Broadband & Phone
    Your Bundle Includes: eir Broadband Talk Unlimited National, Mobile & UK
    eir Fibre Extreme 150Mb
    Contract Length: 12 Months
    Promotional Price: €50.00 per month
    Regular Price: €81.00 per month

My 12 months had passed and my bill increased to the €81 so I rang them up this morning on the 1901 number. I haven't even setup the phone so was expecting to just change to a broadband only plan or was even considering changing to Airwire from reading about them on here but as soon as I got through and said I'm not even using the phone he said there's another deal that's cheaper than what I was on and he moved me straight over to it.

Bundle Name: eir Complete Broadband & Phone
    Your Bundle Includes: eir Broadband Talk Off-Peak 2018
    eir Fibre Extreme 150Mb
    Promotional Price: €45.99 per month
    Regular Price: €65.99 per month

Was very happy with the broadband I was on so was happy to stay as long as I was paying less than the €50 I was expecting to pay for Airwire and still have the phone option.

Wait times were bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I see eir are closing the Talk To forum for good this time.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057966402

OK, next question...

Is the fibre line waterproof?

I finally managed to locate my duct. The old copper line is intact although there is a break in the duct under the garden.

My plan is to splice a new line off the old one and run the new duct up to the attic.

However I cut into the duct today and it sprayed water for a few minutes. The duct was apparently full of water seeping in from the break under the garden.

So if I that duct is going to fill up again later, will the fibre line be OK in it?

• Advertisement

OK, next question...

I finally managed to locate my duct. The old copper line is intact although there is a break in the duct under the garden.

My plan is to splice a new line off the old one and run the new duct up to the attic.

However I cut into the duct today and it sprayed water for a few minutes. The duct was apparently full of water seeping in from the break under the garden.

So if I that duct is going to fill up again later, will the fibre line be OK in it?

It should be fine. I expect many of the access chambers are permanently flooded.

Idiots.

Good they were throwing out utter skutter for answers. They'd tell people some off the cuff nonsense and tell they to contact the technical team. Sales and customer care never worked on any of the network and most don't seem to understand what their selling and why would they. They were never shown any of it they were just coached on how to sell.

OK, next question...

Water doesn't get through the black outer jacket on both copper or fibre lines.
    Copper can be jointed it can get water ingress in these points. As for fibre the fibre is end to end the only place water can get into the fibre is on the end and that's highly unlikely as one end is inside a bpeo dp which is airtight and waterproof to 1.5m The other end is inside your house.

It should be fine. I expect many of the access chambers are permanently flooded.

Thanks.

The duct has been full of water for 7 years and still working fine but I wasn't sure if the fibre would be the same.

Got a duct rod all the way from the hole I cut, to about 2m short of the pole. There's a blockage, but I'll have another go tomorrow and try to clear it. At least I know exactly where it is so I'll just dig up the duct from where it meets the pole until I find the point where the rod is stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Martin, just to clarify, do you deal exclusively up the West or ye all over with FTTH? Sunny South East here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

Quick question, after finally getting FTTH installed I'm more than disappointed to not even by hitting 100Mb/s... We signed up for the 150Mb's package and while the ping is great the disappointing speeds leave a lot to be desired. I remember on the old FTTH thread something being said about a 'break in period' with FTTH... Tests were preformed on 5GHz. Only getting 30Mb/s down and up...

What device are are you using to measure the speed and are you connected to the router (which router?) via ethernet cable or WiFi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Tests were preformed on 5GHz. Only getting 30Mb/s down and up...

That's a WIFI issue not a FTTH issue but do a wired test to be sure. Wired is the only way you can be sure of max speed every time. If all is fine on wired then you will have to start reading up on WIFI trouble shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

cnocbui wrote: »
    What device are are you using to measure the speed and are you connected to the router (which router?) via ethernet cable or WiFi.

5Ghz Wifi. Phone is an iPhone SE well capable of seeing more than 30Mb/s down especially on 5GHz. I know ethernet is a true representation of speed and that these eir routers are notoriously bad when it comes to wifi. view?usp=sharing

• Advertisement

5Ghz Wifi. Phone is an iPhone SE well capable of seeing more than 30Mb/s down especially on 5GHz. I know ethernet is a true representation of speed and that these eir routers are notoriously bad when it comes to wifi. view?usp=sharing

Try 2.4GHz. It should nearly max out 150Mb.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

tvercetti wrote: »
    as long as I was paying less than the €50 I was expecting to pay for Airwire and still have the phone option.

Airwire is 49 EUR for 150 Mbit/s FTTH on OpenEIR. That obviously is broadband only. We lowered the price a little a month or so back.
    Roen wrote: »
    Martin, just to clarify, do you deal exclusively up the West or ye all over with FTTH? Sunny South East here.

We have customers anywhere from Malin Head to Mizen Head. So generally nationwide on OpenEIRs platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers, your sig and first line of Béarla on the site is likely to throw people off the scent though.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Roen wrote: »
    Cheers, your sig and first line of Béarla on the site is likely to throw people off the scent though.

Our website needs an overhaul, to be honest. We will get to that eventually. As for our slogan: That can as well apply for the west of Europe, which would include all of Ireland.

KOR101 wrote: »

More of eirs silverware will be sold off and a new owner will be announced in the coming year and they'll be rebranded down to 1 remaining letter e

KOR101 wrote: »

Renationalise the wholesale business maybe? Would it even be possible? It would solve the NBP issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Renationalise the wholesale business maybe? Would it even be possible? It would solve the NBP issue.

It seems to be the most sensible option. As a layman, I've long thought it would make sense to have 1 State infrastructure company covering Gas, Electric, BB, National Grid and Water.

It seems to be the most sensible option. As a layman, I've long thought it would make sense to have 1 State infrastructure company covering Gas, Electric, BB, National Grid and Water.

Corbyn's Labour in the UK have apparently promised to renationalise rail, water, energy and the Royal Mail if elected. Interestingly not telecoms though for whatever reason. Ideologically I don't think Fine Gael and probably Fianna Fail are of the same beliefs.

https://www.ft.com/content/90c0f8e8-17fd-11e8-9e9c-25c814761640

• Advertisement

Spent half an hour on the live chat system to Eir earlier...

The summary, with gaps of nearly 5 minutes between each response, was something like this:

Me: The best deal on your website is €65, this is worse than Vodafone, Pure Telecom and Airwire. Can you offer anything better or I will have to cancel?

Eir: sure, I'll see what I can do, confirm your details blah blah blah

Me: (confirm all)

Eir: great news, we can offer you 150mb fibre for just €75!

Me: well done, you have just kept me online for 30 minutes only to offer me the same deal I found on your own site, but for €10 per month more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement