Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

On that note, are there any major differences in the router each company offer? And if so, what sort of cost would I be looking at to take a good deal but a bad router and then just change the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Roen wrote: »
    Martin, just to clarify, do you deal exclusively up the West or ye all over with FTTH? Sunny South East here.

I'm on the east coast and have a great service from Airwire. Highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

DrPhilG wrote: »
    On that note, are there any major differences in the router each company offer? And if so, what sort of cost would I be looking at to take a good deal but a bad router and then just change the router?

Every company is different in the sense, that OpenEIR only provides the last mile.

So it depends on where OpenEIR hands the service off to the provider, what the providers network is like, what their upstream (connections to the internet is like), what their support is like and how spot on their billing is .... all those on top of the router.

Replacing Eirs router only works, if you don't have their phone service via VoIP. In the case, where you have Eirs phone service via VoIP, you can't replace their router. Same goes for Vodafone AFAIK.

In the case, where you replace the router (or can replace the router), a Fritz!Box 7530 for example is around 100 EUR retail.

/M

Thanks Marlow, chances are I'll still have a landline via copper.

Next question...

I've finally managed to dig up the duct. I now have a duct rod from the pole, to just outside my garden where I'm going to splice off a new line for the fibre.

What is the best thing to use for a pull string? I had a 100m line of fishing line but I don't think its strong enough.

• Advertisement

Thanks Marlow, chances are I'll still have a landline via copper.

That's only possible with a few of the providers, if you want it as a bundle, and limits your options.

Eir will entertain it. Vodafone will want to move you to VoIP. So will most of the others.

In some cases you "may" be able to negotiate a package, where your copper line stays with another provider and you get a reduction on the FTTH cost.

Oh .. and besides ... the reason, that Eir quoted you a price 10 EUR higher per month is because you're probably a current customer with Eir. The advertised pricing on their website is only for new customers coming from other providers.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Anyone know if Eir FTTH would need a Class B+ or C+ GPON SFP Transceiver if someone had notions of using one?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Anyone know if Eir FTTH would need a Class B+ or C+ GPON SFP Transceiver if someone had notions of using one?

No can do. The ONTs serial number is coded into the OLT in the exchange and you can not replace it. Neither OpenEIR nor SIRO will allow you to use your own optical gear on your end.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Next question...

I've finally managed to dig up the duct. I now have a duct rod from the pole, to just outside my garden where I'm going to splice off a new line for the fibre.

What is the best thing to use for a pull string? I had a 100m line of fishing line but I don't think its strong enough.

2-3mm Dyneema kite line or really heavy duty fishing line. Is your duct 100m?

Clothes line ... can be got in any decent hardware or DIY store .. will also do nicely.

/M

• Advertisement

Duct is probably about 60m or so, from pole to attic. There's a few annoying turns in there so it's a pain in the hole. I've had to cut in and clear blockages, straighten bends etc a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Marlow wrote: »
    No can do. The ONTs serial number is coded into the OLT in the exchange and you can not replace it. Neither OpenEIR nor SIRO will allow you to use your own optical gear on your end.

/M

Back at this topic again! :pac:
    I know it's been established that 3rd party ONTs are a bad idea but is there a chance it would work with models that let you set the serial number?
    It's easy get the serial as it's labelled on the official ONT.

tuxy wrote: »
    Back at this topic again! :pac:
    I know it's been established that 3rd party ONTs are a bad idea but is there a chance it would work with models that let you set the serial number?
    It's easy get the serial as it's labelled on the official ONT.

It may work for a little while. But there are other things that will get flagged on the OLT and OpenEIR would just blacklist the port then.

You're basically playing havock with their equipment and possibily interfering with the other up to 31 customers on the same cluster. They just won't allow this. The possibility of using third party ONTs has been discussed with both them and SIRO and been point blank shot down. Not even the providers are allowed.

Having said that .. there will be a wires only FTTH product on the IFN, that will allow providers to use certified ONTs. But that's another platform. The IFN will be 10gig GPON (XGS-GPON or the likes) from day one.

/M

I like the ONT with an ethernet connection anyway it means there are a large selection of routers I can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

I'm on the east coast and have a great service from Airwire. Highly recommend
    Whats your ping on Airwire?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Marlow wrote: »
    Every company is different in the sense, that OpenEIR only provides the last mile.

So it depends on where OpenEIR hands the service off to the provider, what the providers network is like, what their upstream (connections to the internet is like), what their support is like and how spot on their billing is .... all those on top of the router.

Replacing Eirs router only works, if you don't have their phone service via VoIP. In the case, where you have Eirs phone service via VoIP, you can't replace their router. Same goes for Vodafone AFAIK.

In the case, where you replace the router (or can replace the router), a Fritz!Box 7530 for example is around 100 EUR retail.

/M

You can replace the router with a non VOIP one if you link the F2000 to the main one via ethernet and change a couple of setting on the main router. That's what I did. The phone is plugged into the F2000, which is about all it's used for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Anyone using ubiquiti kit? edge router/gateway? Any problems or pitfalls?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    Whats your ping on Airwire?

3ms on my phone

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/4796012664

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭rob808

Im going to go with Airwire at start of august contract up with Eir on 27 july.Im just wondering do I have to ring Eir hate think about ringing them or would Airwire do that for me.

limnam wrote: »

I'm use the Ubiquiti Unifi kit. Gateway, Switch and 2 APs all working flawlessly, I'm very happy with the setup. I imagine the edge router would work great too.

• Advertisement

I'm use the Ubiquiti Unifi kit. Gateway, Switch and 2 APs all working flawlessly, I'm very happy with the setup. I imagine the edge router would work great too.

Thanks Tuxy

Is it just a case of briding the F2000 or whatever router provided to the gateway or can it go directly to that ?

Thanks Tuxy

Is it just a case of briding the F2000 or whatever router provided to the gateway or can it go directly to that ?

No need to bridge, any router that supports Vlan tagging will work.

For Eir just set connection type to DHCP and set Vlan ID to 10.

For some providers it's PPPOE(You may or may not need the correct user id and password, ask the ISP) and also Vlan ID 10.

Thinking of going with Pure Telecom. Its an 18 month contract but works out at €48 a month average, free installation, I get to keep my copper line for the phone and I get free landline calls to the 32 counties which is a bonus as I live in Donegal and have both work and family in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

How technical are you? There’s some work in getting things going and then setting up access points etc use a usg so you have that single pain of glass view as the edge router doesn’t intergrate with the controller.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    How technical are you? There’s some work in getting things going and then setting up access points etc use a usg so you have that single pain of glass view as the edge router doesn’t intergrate with the controller.

Fairly technical

It was more if the ISP themselves make it problematic to switch out gear outside provided routers. But it sounds like I'm all good from that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Fairly technical

It was more if the ISP themselves make it problematic to switch out gear outside provided routers. But it sounds like I'm all good from that perspective.
    ah ya be grand so! Sky is the only isp that won’t let you bridge.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    ah ya be grand so! Sky is the only isp that won’t let you bridge.

Why would you need to bridge with FTTH? Just connect the WAN port of your router of choice to the ONT.
    Set connection type and Vlan ID 10

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

rob808 wrote: »
    Im going to go with Airwire at start of august contract up with Eir on 27 july.Im just wondering do I have to ring Eir hate think about ringing them or would Airwire do that for me.

Generally, if you change from one provider to another on the same platform, your old provider get notified and that is it.

If it's on different platforms (like OpenEIR to SIRO), that is not the case. You need to ensure to cancel yourself in that case.

We always advise our new customers to cancel with their old provider anyhow. Just for a good measure. In regards to Eir, they have re-introduced the possibility of cancelling by letter. So there would be no need to ring them.

In regards to Eir, they have re-introduced the possibility of cancelling by letter. So there would be no need to ring them.

No need to call them in any situation, you probably won't get through. I switched from Vodafone to Eir by giving my UAN to Eir. It worked, Vodafone got notice and cancelled my account. When I move from Eir in a few months I'm going to send them a letter by registered post and cancel the direct debit just to be sure. Eir have a habit of continuing to charge people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

No need to bridge, any router that supports Vlan tagging will work.

For Eir just set connection type to DHCP and set Vlan ID to 10.

For some providers it's PPPOE(You may or may not need the correct user id and password, ask the ISP) and also Vlan ID 10.

And on some routers like the sky Q box you need to go into the config page and set from DSL to wan otherwise it'll be expecting an ADSL cable in DSL port wan port in the sky Q is ethernet port 2 if you plug in port 1 nothing will happen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement