Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm use the Ubiquiti Unifi kit. Gateway, Switch and 2 APs all working flawlessly, I'm very happy with the setup. I imagine the edge router would work great too.

Me too, have more ubiquiti than common sense;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aymzter

I just dropped you a PM, as I couldn't get hold of you. No problem getting you a connection though. OpenEIR have you on a different street name than eircode.ie and that's where that one goes amiss. It's a simple fix.

Just signed up with Airwire (Kinsale) - delighted !

65Mb/s down; 18Mb/s up on Wi-fi (Samsung phone) & 97Mb/s on laptop !

The guys are great and do what they promise....no BS. Highly recommended.

Eir, Vodafone, Sky all said they couldn’t offer us ANY internet connectivity !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Marlow wrote: »

Replacing Eirs router only works, if you don't have their phone service via VoIP. In the case, where you have Eirs phone service via VoIP, you can't replace their router. Same goes for Vodafone AFAIK.

/M

Why can't Eir and Vodafone just give the customer their SIP username and password so they can use their own router with VOIP?

Again Comreg should force them to give out details like this. In Germany it is a requirement. They are some great routers out there with VOIP and DECT build in.

I think this was discussed before but I am not sure if it was this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

aymzter wrote: »
    Just signed up with Airwire (Kinsale) - delighted !

65Mb/s down; 18Mb/s up on Wi-fi (Samsung phone) & 97Mb/s on laptop !

The guys are great and do what they promise....no BS. Highly recommended.

Eir, Vodafone, Sky all said they couldn’t offer us ANY internet connectivity !

I told you airwire had a reputation of sorting this stuff out for people :)
    It's fiber to the cabinet isn't it? Excellent speeds for that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

user1842 wrote: »
    Why can't Eir and Vodafone just give the customer their SIP username and password so they can use their own router with VOIP?

There is no legal baseline for Comreg to do anything here. It's not a regulated product either.

Only choice you have is to vote with your wallet and go with a provider that gives you that freedom of choice. If you don't do that, then that's your own fault.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

J65Mb/s down; 18Mb/s up on Wi-fi (Samsung phone) & 97Mb/s on laptop !

Wifi speed sounds like your phone is connected on 2.4 GHz. If you only see one network name (we usually split them before shipping the router out), then you can split/rename it in the routers configuration interface, so that you can force your device to either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.

On 5 GHz, you should be able to get near to the full 100 Mbit/s, once you're near enough to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Marlow wrote: »
    There is no legal baseline for Comreg to do anything here. It's not a regulated product either.

Only choice you have is to vote with your wallet and go with a provider that gives you that freedom of choice. If you don't do that, then that's your own fault.

/M

Ok bring in a law then, Germany has set the precedent:

https://www.cio.com/article/3101864/new-law-lets-german-internet-users-connect-with-their-own-routers.html

Airwire seems to be the only provider supplying these details, in Ireland.

Correct. That law was passed August 2016 (3 years ago) in Germany and basically boils down to freedom of choice for the router. But that would require a government that has an interest in pushing this and a regulator, that actually regulates the market. Neither of which we have in Ireland.

That law only relates to the router though. It does not force german operators to give you the VoIP credentials.
    Airwire seems to be the only provider supplying these details, in Ireland.

No, there are a few more. Northwest Broadband (http://www.nwb.ie) and Westnet (http://www.westnet.ie) for example also seem to have no problems giving out the credentials.

Then again .. you can always opt to get your phone service from an independant 3rd party VoIP provider like Goldfish and the likes and completely be done with the issue.

/M

tuxy wrote: »
    I told you airwire had a reputation of sorting this stuff out for people :)
    It's fiber to the cabinet isn't it? Excellent speeds for that service.

Hey Tuxy,

You did indeed tell me that !

Yes, FTTC....house is just 90m from the cabinet :) absolutely delighted

Wifi speed sounds like your phone is connected on 2.4 GHz. If you only see one network name (we usually split them before shipping the router out), then you can split/rename it in the routers configuration interface, so that you can force your device to either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.

On 5 GHz, you should be able to get near to the full 100 Mbit/s, once you're near enough to the router.

Thanks Martin - tbh we are happy with the speed on phones via Wi-fi.

Also, should have said, KN engineer said NOT to use 5GHz as that’s for FTTH only (?!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

brianbruff wrote: »
    Me too, have more ubiquiti than common sense;-)

Who needs common sense when you have Ubiquiti ;)

Again Comreg should force them to give out details like this. In Germany it is a requirement. They are some great routers out there with VOIP and DECT build in.

I think this was discussed before but I am not sure if it was this thread.

I've just got three old F2000, I said a while back that I was going to try and pull if off the serial port if possible. I'll message you if I find anything out but I want the ability to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

I put my eircode into the Airwire website and it says the only thing available is VDSL...I’m struggling to believe I can get this where I live, I saw TLI engineers putting up fibre boxes on telephone poles a couple of weeks ago in my area but the last one was put up 1.5km away from my house and according to the fibre rollout map they won’t be rolling it out on my road. Can I really get better broadband than what I have now (2.5mb)??? I have emailed Airwire but have yet to get a reply.

Also, should have said, KN engineer said NOT to use 5GHz as that’s for FTTH only (?!)
    No idea why he said that WIFI has nothing to do with FTTH or FTTC.
    5Ghz for new devices that are fairly near the router. 2.4ghz for old devices that don't support 5Ghz or devices that are far away.

Toxica wrote: »
    I put my eircode into the Airwire website and it says the only thing available is VDSL...I’m struggling to believe I can get this where I live, I saw TLI engineers putting up fibre boxes on telephone poles a couple of weeks ago in my area but the last one was put up 1.5km away from my house and according to the fibre rollout map they won’t be rolling it out on my road. Can I really get better broadband than what I have now (2.5mb)??? I have emailed Airwire but have yet to get a reply.

Where do you live? If it's rural and you're not on Eir's rollout plan then it won't be coming to your area anytime soon. The rural broadband scheme was planned to cover cases like yours but of course the government made a complete balls of that :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi lads,

In terms of removing the F2000 out of the loop and replacing it with my RT-AC68U (Latest DDWRT Kong build) where am I looking?

I have the WAN port on the Asus set to Vlan 10, a cable running from the WAN port on the Asus to the ethernet port on the ONT. But in basic set up what am I selecting?

OL6pNspl.png

Tried DHCP but no dice.

Guess I need to mimic these settings from the F2000 on to the Asus, but how is the trick?

kyBHtv8l.png

EDIT, port set up on Asus:

5cZA5EVl.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I've just been told by Sky that if you are with Éir and have ftth but your land line is still on the old ptsn cable you cannot switch to sky for ftth

That would be most people then :mad:
    If you want to move to a VoIP landline to resolve this,Éir will put you on a new 12 month contract

How is that getting by the consumer and competition authority??
    Seems a very monopolistic sharp practice to me
    You can't move your ftth because of having the separate old landline

Anyone come across this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I've just been told by Sky that if you are with r and have ftth but your land line is still on the old ptsn cable you cannot switch to sky for ftth

That would be most people then :mad:
    If you want to move to a VoIP landline to resolve this,r will put you on a new 12 month contract

How is that getting by the consumer and competition authority??
    Seems a very monopolistic sharp practice to me
    You can't move your ftth because of having the separate old landline

Anyone come across this?

my neighbours were told the exact same thing. They have Eir FTTH and an eir copper cable. Sky told them it's not possible to switch to Sky FTTH because of this.

Gonzo wrote: »
    my neighbours were told the exact same thing. They have Eir FTTH and an eir copper cable. Sky told them it's not possible to switch to Sky FTTH because of this.

It's an arbitrary Éir rule to prevent competition
    No wonder things cost more in this country :mad:
    It couldn't be right and they should be told where to go by the competition authority

To get around it you'd have to leave Éir completely, do without service for a while and do a new installation
    People won't do that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

But why can Sky not handle this situation?

If they want to sell their product/service then it is up to them to do so, it seems to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

If they want to sell their product/service then it is up to them to do so, it seems to me.

Very strange situation alright, especially since they could sell dsl and phone through the copper before fibre was a thing

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No technical or regulatory reason that I'm aware of.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No technical or regulatory reason that I'm aware of.

Yeah it's a weird one and sky are the only one with this issue afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

m99T wrote: »
    Who needs common sense when you have Ubiquiti ;)

I've just got three old F2000, I said a while back that I was going to try and pull if off the serial port if possible. I'll message you if I find anything out but I want the ability to do the same.
    Serial port?
    Rs232 DB9?

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Serial port?
    Rs232 DB9?

JTAG?

hg659b_serial_ft232.jpg?w=400&tok=54154e

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

He was unfortunately wrong. The Wifi frequencies have nothing to do with the technology, that connects you to the internet. But he may have been dealing with other installations before, where the 7430 was supplied. The predecessor of the router you got didn't have 5 GHz. Yours has.

Sky may just not have got the procedures in place to deal with this scenario. It is not a problem for a provider to deal with this situation (if they want to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Is it not just more penny pinching by Sky? FTTH + POTS will cost them more per month from open eir compared with FTTH from open eir + VoIP with whoever they deal with.

Is it not just more penny pinching by Sky? FTTH + POTS will cost them more per month from open eir compared with FTTH from open eir + VoIP with whoever they deal with.

Yes, no, maybe. Essentially they can order the phone line and FTTH as a bundle the same way as Eir, as they have the pots contracts in place. But the same as Vodafone ( and Eir for that matter, when no copper is in place), they are moving to VoIP because it costs them even less and they don't have to deal with OpenEir for that portion then.

By forcing people to take VoIP when ordering FTTH, they are accellerating their cost cutting.

But technically and contractual .. there is nothing hindering them from doing a POTS/FTTH bundle. The copper line being there as part of the seal means they get the cheaper FTTH wholesale rate if ordered on the same UAN.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭kazoo106

No reason
    All $ky have to do is put in standalone fibre, and when they verify that the installation has been successful (75% of orders pass) - they can port the number across to fibre.
    No joined up thinking $ky to follow up on this. Try one of the Independent operators who I know will be able to sort you out.
    airwire.ie
    net1.ie
    bbnet.ie
    wi.ie
    lightnet.ie
    westnet.ie

The independent operators are not live in all exchanges as there is a €50 cost to them to enable each exchange, and there are a lot of exchanges - so on that list you should find one which covers your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Actually apart from the above query, do eir do static IPs for fiber or is it a question of ordering one?

• Advertisement

kazoo106 wrote: »
    No reason
    All $ky have to do is put in standalone fibre, and when they verify that the installation has been successful (75% of orders pass) - they can port the number across to fibre.
    No joined up thinking $ky to follow up on this. Try one of the Independent operators who I know will be able to sort you out.
    airwire.ie
    net1.ie
    bbnet.ie
    wi.ie
    lightnet.ie
    westnet.ie

The independent operators are not live in all exchanges as there is a €50 cost to them to enable each exchange, and there are a lot of exchanges - so on that list you should find one which covers your area.

But if you want the sky bundle price,what's the option?
    Get out the land line and ask sky to just port the ftth connection? Can you imagine how long that will take?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement