Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Roen wrote: »
    Actually apart from the above query, do eir do static IPs for fiber or is it a question of ordering one?

You'd have to order it and pay either a one off fee or monthly rental I believe.

As for the router query here are instructions for the Asus firmware of your router. I don't know if DD-WRT is similar but it might help.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057781999/1

Edit: DHCP is correct for eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Edit: DHCP is correct for eir.

DHCP and PPPoE. For fixed IP PPPoE is requirement.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers lads, will have another bash at it tomorrow as I can't risk invoking the ire of the household. Your replies are appreciated.
    R.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

tuxy wrote: »
    JTAG?

hg659b_serial_ft232.jpg?w=400&tok=54154e

You wouldn't happen to know which part of the PCB does the synching for dsl? Be a useful thing to turn into a field kit if the Megger runs flat when your up a telegraph pole looking for a spare?

Thought I had it there, was missing the tick in the 'Tagged' box previously. So potentially port was in vlan 10 but not being tagged as such. But nope, still fails to obtain an IP from the ONT when set to DHCP.

Checking the logs doesn't reveal a whole lot, just failed nslookups which you'd expect if there's no outbound connectivity.

XSJHQO1l.png

Just wondering should the 'Assigned to bridge' be set to LAN..I tried setting this and saving it but every time I do it just reverts back to 'None'.

Off to work so won't be able to eyeball this til later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

airwire availability checker gone from "available soon" to "not available" ?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

turbbo wrote: »
    airwire availability checker gone from "available soon" to "not available" ?

Try it again. You might just have got it during the database update of the line data this morning.

Speaking of joined up thinking, is there a reason why Onts don't just be ported over from one provider to another
    Alot of provider changes seem to be change port and change ont in house. Surely it should be a phone call to a provider and quote serial number on ont. Provider does a request to open eir and requests service to run through another's network and tell the customer there's a modem in the post?
    Is there a facility for this or is it just all lines have to be treated as new lines?
    Can the providers see the 8882 numbers?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Speaking of joined up thinking, is there a reason why Onts don't just be ported over from one provider to another
    Alot of provider changes seem to be change port and change ont in house. Surely it should be a phone call to a provider and quote serial number on ont. Provider does a request to open eir and requests service to run through another's network and tell the customer there's a modem in the post?
    Is there a facility for this or is it just all lines have to be treated as new lines?
    Can the providers see the 8882 numbers?

Sounds like a process issue with the provider. If the ONT is powered on, a PNO order will switch providers without a truck roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Try it again. You might just have got it during the database update of the line data this morning.

Yeah back to available soon. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Mortelaro wrote: »
    But if you want the sky bundle price,what's the option?
    Get out the land line and ask sky to just port the ftth connection? Can you imagine how long that will take?

Managed to move them to Vodafone for their gigabit broadband home phone and TV with sky cinema
    Saving a grand in 12 months :eek: on that package
    Phone will be moved to VoIP

Sorry Sky,your incompetence lost you a customer it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Gotta love the guys at Eir.

I gave them one last shot at keeping me as a customer. Contacted them and told them I was about to sign up with Pure Telecom for €48 a month and free installation and asked what their best price was to tempt me to stay.

With great fanfare they announced that they could offer me the same deal for just €69.99 a month and asked if I would like to go ahead with it.

Eh...

No.

Thanks to Martin from Airwire too by the way, prompt reply to the pm. Pure's offer is just too good though Martin but thanks for getting back to me. Airwire have a reputation for good customer service and I can see why.

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Pure's offer is just too good though

This is where you vote with what you value most.

We are competitive with our overall pricing, but we do not want to participate in the discounting frenzy just to loose a customer the following year. With the cost of providing services on OpenEIRs platform, we are lucky, if we break even the first year as it is.

Our pricing model is based on long term customer relationship. And that means no bad surprises to the customer when they go into year 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Spotted an OpenEir van in my village near Rathdrum last Thursday morning... but my Eircode still shows as not available except for VDSL. Got all excited for nothing.

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Spotted an OpenEir van in my village near Rathdrum last Thursday morning... but my Eircode still shows as not available except for VDSL. Got all excited for nothing.

If you're within 500m of a cabinet, then you unlikely to be enabled for FTTH. Are you in a green shaded area on the fibreollout.ie map or is your house labelled with a green circle with a house logo in it ?

Also, OpenEIR van just means somebody is out to maintain the network. It's when vans from KN, Diffusion and the likes turn up, that you should be hopping. The build is mostly done by contractors.

/M

Hi, funny you should say that, the van was parked at the spot where the fibre ends going by the map. But I'm now noticing my neighbours have access to FTTH but not my house. So I wonder is it just a mistake in the map that will eventually get updated. If not I'm going to bite the bullet and go with the VDSL service, but as I'm 700 meters from the exchange I would be getting well under 50mbps at a guess.

Hi, funny you should say that, the van was parked at the spot where the fibre ends going by the map. But I'm now noticing my neighbours have access to FTTH but not my house. So I wonder is it just a mistake in the map that will eventually get updated. If not I'm going to bite the bullet and go with the VDSL service, but as I'm 700 meters from the exchange I would be getting well under 50mbps at a guess.

If you PM me your Eircode, I can have a look if they just have your premise wrongly indexed.

Ok cheers for the offer.... PM sent

Ok cheers for the offer.... PM sent

You are in a VDSL designated (green shaded area) on the fibrerollout.ie map, but there is something very odd going on around that area, because random houses inside the green shaded area have been FTTH enabled.

Either way ... everything is live there. So your issue is, that your premise is not even indexed correctly in OpenEIRs database. The reason our checker knows you may be able to get VDSL is that we know your distance to the cabinet. As you said: it may not be great though given the distance.

Ok so that was more annoying than it should have been.

Set up > Basic Setup

uuD1jSBl.png

Set up > VLANs (None for 'Assigned to bridge')

XSJHQO1l.png

Set up > Networking

GFkLseal.png

For the benefit of anyone rocking DD WRT ^^

• Advertisement

If I recall correctly, DD-WRT doesn't support Vlan tagging on all routers. The underlying platform (the router) has to support it hardware wise.

But good so have the steps outlined. TP-Link is equally awkward with their firmware. And OpenWRT ... well, that's awkward full stop.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

More progress with loops of cable now hanging from the pole and and the engineers in the village (Shannonbridge) pushing out the cable through some ducting.

Spent half the day digging trenches perpendicular to where I think the duct is running into the house with no luck. Found it out near the pole and a general direction put it obviously takes a turn somewhere. Looks like trying to hire a Cat and Genny will be on the cards, my back will thank me for it... spoke to the engineers hoping the would have one but no joy.

What thickness is the actual fibre line that will come from the pole to the house? And how flexible is it?

Will it be safe enough to negotiate a 32mm duct with a few right angles, provided I have a pull string in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Absolutely no right angles. Forget it. i'd say 8cm radius as a minimum and 10cm would be better. Diameter - without getting the calipers - looks to be about 7mm. It's basically the same as a standard copper POTS cable. It's fairly stiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What thickness is the actual fibre line that will come from the pole to the house? And how flexible is it?

Will it be safe enough to negotiate a 32mm duct with a few right angles, provided I have a pull string in place?

use 'hockey stick' or pre-made ducting bends for best results ...... gives a gradual bend which is usable for the cable.

Some examples here
    https://www.mdoshea.ie/Building/sewer-drainage/Ducting

The copper coming into my house negotiates 2x90 degree turns before it even gets on my property.

I'm buggered if the fibre can't make the same turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The copper coming into my house negotiates 2x90 degree turns before it even gets on my property.

It depends on the radius of the bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Light travels in straight lines - the exception being when passing a star or black hole. Fibre optic cables work by having a cladding on the glass fibre of a different refractive index that makes the interface between them act like a mirror to the light in the fibre, allowing it to bounce off the sides in order to zig-zag it's way around a bend. This mirror effect works best for shallow angles of incidence.

Have you ever swum underwater? If so, you have likely noticed that when looking at the surface in the distance, the air water interface will look like a mirror if the surface is fairly calm, but if you look straight up, you can see what's above the water clearly. Bending an optical fibre severely is like looking straight up when underwater.

I am not saying you won't get away with 32mm ID ducting as I think that would allow for the cable to negotiate the bend at a 8-9 cm radius so you will probably be OK.
    Bending a Fiber Optic Cable

Bending a fiber optic cable excessively may cause the optical signal to refract and escape through the cladding. It could also cause permanent damage by creating micro cracks on the delicate glass fibers. And when overbending interferes with light transmission, the resulting increased attenuation compromises the integrity of your valuable data. So, always remember that do not bend the fiber beyond it’s specified fiber bend radius.
    Bend Insensitive Fiber

Bend insensitive fiber cables are designed for improved bend performance in reduced-radius applications, such as residential or office environments which have less bend sensitivity. Optical fiber manufacturers used a refractive index “trench” in bend insensitive fiber, which means a ring of lower refractive index material, to basically reflect the lost light back into the core of the fiber. Compared with the conventional fibers, the bend insensitive fiber employs a moderately higher numerical aperture (NA) and offers improved bend performance for applications in the 1310nm and 1550nm range.

Bend-Insensitive Fiber
    Summary

Fiber bend radius is always a real issue that we should really need to be concerned about when installing fiber optic cables. Make sure to know the minimum fiber band radius of your installed cables, and do not bend it beyond the specified bend radius. Additionally, if the application needed, you can try to use the bend insensitive fiber.
    http://www.fiber-optic-transceiver-module.com/is-bend-radius-really-a-concern.html

I would say any right hand turns outside should be no narrower than a 12" radius if it bends inside the circumference of an alloy wheel your adding alot of resistance one or two bends ok add about 4 with no access hatches you'd be surprised how much resistance it'll add on a long ug line. Had a job with only 2 bends and a child's trike wheel rolled to it that's less than a 500g weight sitting loosely on it and it was impossible to pull. Try keep em straight and gradual until it gets to the house

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Light travels in straight lines - the exception being when passing a star or black hole. Fibre optic cables work by having a cladding on the glass fibre of a different refractive index that makes the interface between them act like a mirror to the light in the fibre, allowing it to bounce off the sides in order to zig-zag it's way around a bend. This mirror effect works best for shallow angles of incidence.

Have you ever swum underwater? If so, you have likely noticed that when looking at the surface in the distance, the air water interface will look like a mirror if the surface is fairly calm, but if you look straight up, you can see what's above the water clearly. Bending an optical fibre severely is like looking straight up when underwater.

I am not saying you won't get away with 32mm ID ducting as I think that would allow for the cable to negotiate the bend at a 8-9 cm radius so you will probably be OK.

http://www.fiber-optic-transceiver-module.com/is-bend-radius-really-a-concern.html

The fiber can be bent around the radius of a euro coin as it's about a third of a millimeter wide but of course I wouldn't be advocating for that anywhere other than through a wall and the fibre cradle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement