Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

babi-hrse wrote: »
    10mm max size SDS bit we carry

Hmm, that might be tight. I might borrow a drill from my neighbour who works in construction. Drill a wee bit bigger and put a duct through so it's a wee bit bigger and easier to run the external ethernet cables.

Would it make sense for me to drill the hole in advance and just have it sitting ready to go?

Does the duct need to run up the wall a little or will they just run it from ground level? Assuming that they need to come up a bit to avoid flooring, skirting boards etc.

I'll add a picture in a second to explain.

476517.jpg

OK, so the duct now doesn't need to turn the corner etc, it just ends at the wall. Obviously I'll raise it slightly as it reaches the wall but it will end at about ground level aiming slightly up. Red X number 2. Is that OK? Or do I need to curve the duct up out of the ground and end it at red X number 1? Or will they abandon the duct once it reaches ground level and just run the cable?

Either way, does the KN guy just drill straight in at the blue dot, as that would hit God knows what like skirting boards, floors etc, or does he run up the wall a little to the black dot instead, which will bring it in around socket level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

DrPhilG wrote: »

OK, so the duct now doesn't need to turn the corner etc, it just ends at the wall. Obviously I'll raise it slightly as it reaches the wall but it will end at about ground level aiming slightly up. Red X number 2. Is that OK? Or do I need to curve the duct up out of the ground and end it at red X number 1? Or will they abandon the duct once it reaches ground level and just run the cable?

Either way, does the KN guy just drill straight in at the blue dot, as that would hit God knows what like skirting boards, floors etc, or does he run up the wall a little to the black dot instead, which will bring it in around socket level?

My opinion would be end the duct at the level of the path so X2. The cable can be tacked to the wall. He'll likely drill at the black dot or above. Also it is going to be to the left a bit as where you have those dots the drill won't fit. Again babi-hrse can give you the definitive answer as he's doing this daily.

If you want to cover the cable(s) on the wall a small piece of trunking like this poster used is neater than dirty black pipe running up your wall.

425905.jpg

If you want to cover the cable(s) on the wall a small piece of trunking like this poster used is neater than dirty black pipe running up your wall.

Yeah I like that. And they will cover the entry with a wee box like that? I hope there's room there for me to squeeze 2 ethernet cables out at the same time!

I probably will run a bit of trunking there alright. Then just paint it all to math the light and dark grey of the wall.

God I can't wait now. 7 years in that house and averaging 2.5mbps throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You could also go with a long length of trunking from the duct end to the attic, which would sit in the corner and not be an eyesore.

Personally I would prefer that to having those boxes on the wall inside.
    They are untidy, IMO, and liable to damage during cleaning or re-arranging of furniture.

The boss here would not countenance having the odp/ont wiring in bedroom .... got it into a media press with door closed so she has no worries :)

To each his own :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The Eir Talk To Support forum here on boards is closing tomorrrow. I have always found answers and quick help using that forum, going to be a real pity when its gone.

I only got around to asking for the data cap to be removed from my account yesterday and now have it removed! While it was being removed I was temporarily put on the 1000meg speed, now I'm back on the 300.

I only noticed the higher speed when downloading off Steam yesterday evening and decided to check my speed and indeed it was much higher than 300. However my network card seemed to struggle with the higher speed, the needle would just freeze and then produce a score at the very end. Highest I got was over 800, never reaching 900.

Temporary speed increase last night:

8144928016.png

Back to my usual speeds today:

8146224560.png

Logged into 'my eir' and my usage breakdown stats are now gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

And after all that planning and debate about how to send the duct up the wall to the attic...

"She who must be obeyed" has gone off the idea of ducting up the wall. I tend to agree mind you, it would be a bit ugly.

So we will just take the line through at ground level into the bedroom. I'll not worry about turning left or up, just run the duct to the side of the house and then presumably the installer will just drill straight in and fit the socket on the inside wall?

That leads me to 2 other questions.

1 - am I right in thinking that the installer will fit 2 things. A terminal for the fibre and then the router beside it? Is there any reason I can't just have him install the terminal inside the wall there, and then I can run an ethernet cable up inside the internal ducting from a nearby TV ariel socket and install the router in the attic myself? I'd prefer to have it there. It's a long bungalow and centrally located is a better place for the router. Plus I have ethernet cables running everywhere from there for things like xbox and sky etc.

2 - what's the chances that the installer would drill a slightly larger hole than needed? I want to run a few network cables externally for cctv. Do they feed a duct through when they drill or just slide the cable through?

A store in the US tested a lot of commercially available ethernet cables and found most of the supposed Cat 6 cables didn't even meet Cat 5 specs, so you might want to be picky about the ethernet cable you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Hmm, that might be tight. I might borrow a drill from my neighbour who works in construction. Drill a wee bit bigger and put a duct through so it's a wee bit bigger and easier to run the external ethernet cables.

Would it make sense for me to drill the hole in advance and just have it sitting ready to go?

Does the duct need to run up the wall a little or will they just run it from ground level? Assuming that they need to come up a bit to avoid flooring, skirting boards etc.

I'll add a picture in a second to explain.

Yeah you'll want to come up a bit depending on which odp used you'll either end up hitting off skirting board with odp or trying to get a fibre patch lead with skirting knocking off it.

As for phone cable if it's a two pair it won't do if 4 pair your in business if two pair you could try use as draw rope to pull a 4 up

You could also go with a long length of trunking from the duct end to the attic, which would sit in the corner and not be an eyesore.

Personally I would prefer that to having those boxes on the wall inside.
    They are untidy, IMO, and liable to damage during cleaning or re-arranging of furniture.

The boss here would not countenance having the odp/ont wiring in bedroom .... got it into a media press with door closed she has no worried :)

To each his own :D

Problem is that chimney brace narrows in half way up so the trunking wouldn't stay in the corner and would become an eyesore.

I don't like the boxes either, that's part of the reason (among others) that I didn't bother trying to repair my original duct under the garden. That duct comes into the cavity wall at the front door, then up along the inside wall and terminates in the hallway behind a table.

But when the previous KN guy visited, he said that he couldn't follow that previous route and would just drill straight through from the first point of entry at the house which would have left me the boxes sitting in the middle of the front hall.

If he goes straight in at the bedroom entry, the boxes will be behind the bed. And our bed is a "sleigh" style which means that the top of the bed head is against the wall but the bottom is about 6-8 inches in. So the boxes will be both invisible and immune to being hit when moving the bed.

• Advertisement

Yeah I like that. And they will cover the entry with a wee box like that? I hope there's room there for me to squeeze 2 ethernet cables out at the same time!

I probably will run a bit of trunking there alright. Then just paint it all to math the light and dark grey of the wall. Awkward bit though is that the dark grey trim comes out further than the light grey. So trunking might not work.

God I can't wait now. 7 years in that house and averaging 2.5mbps throughout.

KN will do none of that work (box and trunking). That was all done by the homeowner. KN drill the hole, cable through, job done.

KN will do none of that work (box and trunking). That was all done by the homeowner. KN drill the hole, cable through, job done.

Yep and they just use clear silicone to seal hole. Kn only drill from the inside out never in from out otherwise your plaster will liberate itself from the internal wall under the hammer action of the drill

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

476517.jpg

Looking good! I see you went with it into the corner then to the left. The KN fella will probbably be scratching his head why you didn't do overhead but headache saved ;) Your inbox is full, i'll PM you again tomorrow in responce.

Underground is always best takes longer to do but less can go wrong with it and we don't have to worry about blowback (trucks snagging line, overhead parallel power lines, trees chewing at line and a whole list of cpi standards. It's in the ground it doesn't need to be neat down there also able to leave coils of slack in the ground. Overhead there isn't much scope for excess cable. There was a day I had too much coffee on an empty stomach and the fibre kept snapping on the end as I was trying to splice it I started with a foot and a half and after 8 snapped splices I ended up with six inches from flush with wall before I got it clean. I did not want to have to go trying to find excess along the line. Underground you can leave yourself 5ft in every pit

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

You are in a VDSL designated (green shaded area) on the fibrerollout.ie map, but there is something very odd going on around that area, because random houses inside the green shaded area have been FTTH enabled.

Either way ... everything is live there. So your issue is, that your premise is not even indexed correctly in OpenEIRs database. The reason our checker knows you may be able to get VDSL is that we know your distance to the cabinet. As you said: it may not be great though given the distance.

Thanks for looking into it, PM sent Re land line number request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Vodafone installed for my friends today
    Kn did the job
    Only ordered Monday installed today
    All hd channels standard compared to Éir
    It's taking about 8 or 9 mg off the top 150 speed
    They're saving close to a grand a year and it's a slightly better system in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Pole put in on Thursday, hopefully the final engineer callout on Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Mortelaro wrote: »
    All hd channels standard compared to Éir
    It's taking about 8 or 9 mg off the top 150 speed
    They're saving close to a grand a year and it's a slightly better system in my opinion

I don't think that's how it works. Looks like the speed test is done over WIFI which is never very accurate. 147mb is the most you will get on the 150 package over a wired connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't think that's how it works. Looks like the speed test is done over WIFI which is never very accurate. 147mb is the most you will get on the 150 package over a wired connection.

It's done on the 5g wifi though beside the modem which usually is almost as good as a wired test
    Different story of course if you did a wifi test on the 2.5g or in another room of course
    The TV package does take some of the bandwidth

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It's done on the 5g wifi though beside the modem which usually is almost as good as a wired test
    Different story of course if you did a wifi test on the 2.5g or in another room of course
    The TV package does take some of the bandwidth

Sorry the max speed I gave earlier was incorrect, no one ever gets above 144Mbs on the 150 package

Here's my test results going back months, standard 150 FTTH no TV service all wired 1Gbps connection to the router. The TV package is not taking any bandwidth from the internet package. Someone that knows more about it than me may be able to explain how the multicast TV service works.

573e73e6e6b1f65ab58a0f7f8493aa07.png

• Advertisement

Well the Vodafone TV does take more not exactly sure how much eir TV takes up to 9mb first box and up-to-date 5mb for each zapper box

Vodafone's TV requires more their box is a bit more on the heavy side used to have to have at least a 25meg connection before you'd be allowed to install one. They lowered the requirements but I'd hazard a guess they were looking about upto 14meg.
    Had a fault call to go to investigate someone's TV box not working went there the carpenter let me in first box worked no issues second box did not work
    Checked the line and was maxed out on about 23meg so I was surprised there was even a second box in the house given the line speed.
    Second box wouldn't activate. Contacted Vodafone and I explained that I couldn't fix this as there's more boxes than allowed the Vodafone chap was on the ball he said there isn't a second box on the account. It's only one
    Contacted the customer back and told him the fault didn't exist and to contact his provider as he didn't have a second box on the account.
    He started waxing on before admitting he brought it over from his last house.
    I explained it's a new line a new port in a new location with different speeds he then started shouting that Vodafone were in breech of contract so i had to stay at his house and make it work he didn't care how. I then explained that I don't work directly for Vodafone and that's a him and provider issue and gave him the analogy of he might as well be complaining to a wrench when he should be complaining to the mechanic and hung up. The only person at fault was himself.

But you're talking about VDSL where bandwidth can be very limited but what about GPON.

Checking the speedtest thread everyone seems to be getting about 143Mbit on the 150 package, the same as I do.
    If that's the max speed how can his friend get 142Mbit and still have 14Mbit available for TV?

You would think that FTTH would allow the TV service to not take any bandwidth from the regular internet service except maybe on the 1Gbit package.

But you're talking about VDSL where bandwidth can be very limited but what about GPON.

Checking the speedtest thread everyone seems to be getting about 143Mbit on the 150 package, the same as I do.
    If that's the max speed how can his friend get 142Mbit and still have 14Mbit available for TV?

You would think that FTTH would allow the TV service to not take any bandwidth from the regular internet service except maybe on the 1Gbit package.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/109808093

Guy on 150Mb on Vodafone complaining that large downloads affect his TV so I'm pretty sure it is as babi-hrse says (although I don't believe it requires 14Mb). Maybe open eir slightly over provision multicast lines so that the speedtest gives similar results to unicast tests.

Something like over provision is what I expected when so much bandwidth is available. Either that or the TV service is really low picture quality and only uses 2Mb allowing him to get 141 as max download speed but I really doubt that's the case.

I'm surprised I've not heard more about people on SIRO and the TV package having issues like that guy. You would think if downloading caused the TV service to pause there would be a lot of upset customers.

Something like over provision is what I expected when so much bandwidth is available. Either that or the TV service is really low picture quality and only uses 2Mb allowing him to get 141 as max download speed but I really doubt that's the case.

I'm surprised I've not heard more about people on SIRO and the TV package having issues like that guy. You would think if downloading caused the TV service to pause there would be a lot of upset customers.

He's using two routers which I suspect is interfering with the QoS built into the system. Actually I probably should post and tell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

On SIRO it shouldn't actually matter, because it's on a different VLan there and that's not part of the package limit as far as I know. Different setup to OpenEIR.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its a pity that OpenEir don't sync at a slightly higher speed to give exact speeds allowing for overheads. e.g sync 160 to give 150 and sync at 320 to give 300.

I'm hoping OpenEir revise their speeds later this year to give better upload speeds. They can't sync at over 1000 to give 1000, so maybe boost the upload speeds instead.

I thought OpenEir were supposed to deliver new speed packages at the end of last year but never happened, although at least they got rid of the cap which is a big plus.

Interestingly I saw recently an old Eircom document before FTTH became available, and at the time they were saying that the FTTH packages were going to be 250, 500 and 1000, obviously they revised this prior to launch and went with 150, 300 and 1000.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I thought OpenEir were supposed to deliver new speed packages at the end of last year but never happened, although at least they got rid of the cap which is a big plus.

The cap is/was Eir ... that's different to OpenEIR. Don't confuse the two.

As for the packages, it looks like OpenEIR is going to follow suit and adapt to the same packages, that SIRO is changing to shortly. Apart from the upload. They don't have much interest there.

That is 150, 500, 1000 (SIRO is upgrading the 350 to 500 and dropping the 600).

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    On SIRO it shouldn't actually matter, because it's on a different VLan there and that's not part of the package limit as far as I know. Different setup to OpenEIR.

/M

Are you sure about that because with the involvement of Huawei in both networks it would be surprising that there would be different approaches taken to solve the same issue? There are built in traffic classes with GPON that don't require separate VLANs.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that because with the involvement of Huawei in both networks it would be surprising that there would be different approaches taken to solve the same issue? There are built in traffic classes with GPON that don't require separate VLANs.

Yes, I am. SIRO has different pricing for these wholesale packages. The provider can decide for the normal pricing and do VoIP and TV in-band or they can pay a little bit more and they will get out of band VLans for voice and another package with out of band voice and tv.

They also allow providers to retail business packages with symmetric speeds, guaranteed CIR, QinQ VLan tagging and premium SLA. Something, that OpenEIR wasn't really too interested to offer on FTTH, because it eats into their NGN business.

Like below:
    8104818475.png

That's on SIRO in Athlone.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement