Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Warning to anyone thinking of signing up to a FTTH bundle

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057866483

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

spix wrote: »

I saw you asking Sky about FTTH from them. There is no indication that they are going to resell Openeir in the near future. The testing they are referring to is on the Siro network.

plodder wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the onboard VOIP capability of the Eir F2000 router can be used with third party services like goldfish?

Should do although I haven't tried it. There are two phone ports and the routers interface allows you to enter details for the second line. The only issue may be the periodic TR-069 communications from eir may overwrite the newly entered credentials.

I saw you asking Sky about FTTH from them. There is no indication that they are going to resell Openeir in the near future. The testing they are referring to is on the Siro network.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/106753214

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Should do although I haven't tried it. There are two phone ports and the routers interface allows you to enter details for the second line. The only issue may be the periodic TR-069 communications from eir may overwrite the newly entered credentials.
    That would be pretty annoying. Do you know how often they do this update? I'd be amazed if it did overwrite credentials that weren't provisioned by themselves. But, I don't want to be finding out a week(say) after I sign up for some service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That would be pretty annoying. Do you know how often they do this update? I'd be amazed if it did overwrite credentials that weren't provisioned by themselves. But, I don't want to be finding out a week(say) after I sign up for some service.

If the unit is branded then every time it re-connects on WAN it will re-reg with the NBBS. It dials out first, not the NBBS in.

A problem like that is rare, but if it does happen just set your unit as desired, call support and have them load from modem to device profile then your settings are the ones that will be pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

spix wrote: »

Been there, got the T Shirt. It would drive you loopy. You have my sympathy.

Eir are utterly incapable and incompetent in dealing with customer service issues. Their staff lie, over promise and under deliver.

Once service up and running smoothly (FTTH 300) in my case, the product is great.

But it will drive you bonkers getting there with issues like yours/mine.

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Been there, got the T Shirt. It would drive you loopy. You have my sympathy.

Eir are utterly incapable and incompetent in dealing with customer service issues. Their staff lie, over promise and under deliver.

Once service up and running smoothly (FTTH 300) in my case, the product is great.

But it will drive you bonkers getting there with issues like yours/mine.

Yeah it was pretty good for all the 18 hrs I had it. Already past the bonkers state if I'm being honest.

I highly suspect they wrongly cancelled my contract in order to try get me to sign up to worse deal. After the installer left I logged into my Eir and said my contract was 26th April 18 - 26th October 19. The next day when I called it was brought to my attention (not right away mind you) that were was a cancellation on my account and I had no choice but to make a new account and order again. The first person asked did I request that and I said no. At this point I said I'm not agreeing to any cancellation until I'm guaranteed that I'm given the same deal. This was agreed by at least 2 people, maybe 3. However when it got to actually getting that done with sales/loyalty they wouldn't or couldn't do it. I also got a letter in the post stating that because "I" cancelled I'd have to return the equipment or be charged 139.99. I find it very odd that it keeps being mentioned that I done the cancelling when I didn't and suspect someone put this down as a cancellation done by me within the cooling off period.

Anyway I'm not giving up yet, luckily I have the recordings or I'd be screwed as the customer complaints person who replied today clearly didn't listen to it properly or intentionally misheard.

Probably siros network rather than Eirs

https://siro.ie/siro-sky-partnership/

Yeah it is Siro. There has been nothing said, that I have seen, about them joining the Openeir network.

• Advertisement

You can turn off the TR-069 in the router but you would not get any firmware updates but they don't happen very often. I'll try my Blueface connection later on to see if I can get it working with the F2000.

ED E wrote: »
    If the unit is branded then every time it re-connects on WAN it will re-reg with the NBBS. It dials out first, not the NBBS in.

A problem like that is rare, but if it does happen just set your unit as desired, call support and have them load from modem to device profile then your settings are the ones that will be pushed.

Mine connects daily even without WAN reconnection. You can see it in the router's logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, it'll renew periodically. The NBBS references only the serial number so you want the fleet checking in to keep the SN -> IP mapping current.

I was wrong. I can not get the F2000 to register with the Blueface SIP server. My advice would be if you want third party VoIP buy an ATA on Amazon or elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandstream-HT802-Analogue-Telephone-Adaptor/dp/B01JH7MYKA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525284680&sr=8-2&keywords=voip+ata

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

I was wrong. I can not get the F2000 to register with the Blueface SIP server. My advice would be if you want third party VoIP buy an ATA on Amazon or elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandstream-HT802-Analogue-Telephone-Adaptor/dp/B01JH7MYKA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525284680&sr=8-2&keywords=voip+ata
    Can't say I'm surprised. But, thanks for checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Sorry for the vague / general question but I haven't been following this as closely as I used to - resigned to my fate of crappy 4G broadband, lost all hope.
    Whats the craic with anyone just outside of Eir's blue lines now then?
    I saw a post a few days ago where a lad had the lines stop 130m away not being able to get hooked up, I thought I was getting teased at 900m!

Eir pulled out of the NBP so are the likes of us destined to some more wireless crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I saw a post a few days ago where a lad had the lines stop 130m away not being able to get hooked up, I thought I was getting teased at 900m!

You're mixing up the parameters.

FTTH starting 900m from the FTTC cabinets. That's now been brought down to 500m in most places. If you're inside that radius, you can't get FTTH, because FTTC is available.

150m from the last pole and there isn't a chance in hell, you'll get it in this round.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    You're mixing up the parameters.

FTTH starting 900m from the FTTC cabinets. That's now been brought down to 500m in most places. If you're inside that radius, you can't get FTTH, because FTTC is available.

150m from the last pole and there isn't a chance in hell, you'll get it in this round.

/M

I'm 900m from the last pole of the FTTH lines, I'm 11KM outta town so VDSL definitely isn't happening. Eir covered almost the entire area barring the last dead end lane that I'm on with 10 other houses.
    I'm moreso asking who is gonna service people outside of Eir's commercial rural rollout, probably a bit off topic from this thread but up til Eir dropped out of the NBP I was assuming it was a waiting game til they got the tender for the rest of the houses they left behind in the area.
    I was hoping the contention on 4G would drop a good bit with 160+ houses in the area switching to FTTH but it didn't help at all, I'm actually still forcing 3G only on the modem since the contention on it is lower.

I was hoping the contention on 4G would drop a good bit with 160+ houses in the area switching to FTTH but it didn't help at all, I'm actually still forcing 3G only on the modem since the contention on it is lower.

Just because 160 houses were enabled for FTTH doesn't mean they've taken that product. And with 3's recent promotion of 750GB, contention on their network certainly hasn't been helped.

For a lot of families the price tag of FTTH is simply too high and they stick with alternative solutions.

So you'll have to wait for the tender to be awarded and whoever gets it then to roll out to you.

/M

So you'll have to wait for the tender to be awarded and whoever gets it then to roll out to you.

/M

I'll drop back into the thread in 5 years at this rate of going then :(
    Wish I could throw a couple grand at them to throw some fiber up the poles

• Advertisement

I'll drop back into the thread in 5 years at this rate of going then :(
    Wish I could throw a couple grand at them to throw some fiber up the poles
    Try and find a friendly neighbour who already has FTTH and ask if you can install one (of a pair) wifi repeater at their house, put the other one your end and "streach" it to yourself that way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sky dont have a direct contract with Eir, it's all done via BT, so I wouldnt be sure that this is true.

Sky dont have a direct contract with Eir, it's all done via BT, so I wouldnt be sure that this is true.

It's correct, that all of Sky's dealing are through BT. The problem there is, that if you buy OpenEir FTTH through BT, it's even more costly than from OpenEIR themselves.

That's why it's unfeasable for them.

So Sky only does OpenEIR FTTC and SIRO FTTH eventually, when they get going.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

It's correct, that all of Sky's dealing are through BT. The problem there is, that if you buy OpenEir FTTH through BT, it's even more costly than from OpenEIR themselves.

That's why it's unfeasable for them.

So Sky only does OpenEIR FTTC and SIRO FTTH eventually, when they get going.

/M

Sky will be selling FTTH using both the open eir and SIRO networks.

joe_99 wrote: »

Got an official reference for that ? So far their clear statement has been, that they're not interested due to the high cost. Same reason Vodafone doesn't sell OpenEIR FTTH.

/M

joe_99 wrote: »

What has changed since February when they were saying the €270 access fee was too high?

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/high-prices-force-firms-to-boycott-eirs-rural-network-36558816.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Got an official reference for that ? So far their clear statement has been, that they're not interested due to the high cost. Same reason Vodafone doesn't sell OpenEIR FTTH.

/M

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/bt-ireland-signs-major-broadband-deal-with-sky-ireland-1.3240977

What has changed since February when they were saying the €270 access fee was too high?

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/high-prices-force-firms-to-boycott-eirs-rural-network-36558816.html

Well Vf are selling via Siro so they are boycotting Eir.

Sky havent started selling through anyone so its a bit of a leap to say they are boycotting when they arent selling.

That article is from October last year. Since then Sky have made a clear statement, that they're not going to roll out on OpenEIR FTTH, because the price for the installation is too high.

Whis is in the article, that navi posted: https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/high-prices-force-firms-to-boycott-eirs-rural-network-36558816.html ... that's from February 2018.

/M

• Advertisement

That article is from October last year. Since then Sky have made a clear statement, that they're not going to roll out on OpenEIR FTTH, because the price for the installation is too high.

Whis is in the article, that navi posted: https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/high-prices-force-firms-to-boycott-eirs-rural-network-36558816.html ... that's from February 2018.

/M

Sorry missed his post, I wouldnt put too much weight on that statement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement