Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

kazoo106 wrote: »
    You do all know that the bandwidth used is metered and charged for by Openeir. For 1TB it's approx €7.18 +VAT

It varies, depending on where the provider picks up the traffic, but yes, it is not free to the provider.

Matter of cost/benefit analysis for the provider.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

kazoo106 wrote: »
    You do all know that the bandwidth used is metered and charged for by Openeir. For 1TB it's approx €7.18 +VAT

At a guess those who do exceed 1tb per month probably don't go too far beyond 1tb. Very few would use more than 2tb, unless they are doing complete backups to the cloud regularly or a business sending large amounts of data on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Tomorrow's the day, hoping all will go well as far as the wall of the house, not a fun time pulling a drawstring through the attic while walking on rafters but I need the cable to be brought deep inside the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Great success!
    5iIsOPI.png
    cLtZeWj.png

Ping down around 10 for the first time ever

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

that unlimited power meme is hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

I'm with eir a year on Thursday so my contract is up then. I'm paying 65euro per month for the full calls package (I never used the phone) and 1Gb/s with free eir sport pack. When I logged in there is a notice saying that they have extended my discount of 36 euro for another 6 months which is great, but the price has gone up to 72euros instead. I'm OK paying this for a few months until I see what happens with BT sports and how much they will cost once they are distributed via Sky.

Is it best to hold off for now I wonder and just pay the extra for a few months? I don't really need the 1Gb/s either, 150Mb/s would probably even do me. I've no interest in calling them up and going on hold for an hour either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I had occasion today to view the switcher.ie website to compare prices ..... and was really surprised that the main option listed was 100Mb/s ....... no mention of FTTH 150 Mb/s or 300 Mb/s packages from any provider.

Now maybe I just got peed off quickly and did not find the other options, although I did see 1Gb/s from SIRO, and the others are hidden somewhere?

I had occasion today to view the switcher.ie website to compare prices ..... and was really surprised that the main option listed was 100Mb/s ....... no mention of FTTH 150 Mb/s or 300 Mb/s packages from any provider.

Now maybe I just got peed off quickly and did not find the other options, although I did see 1Gb/s from SIRO, and the others are hidden somewhere?

Switcher.ie, comparebroadband.ie and uswitch.ie are just sales sites. They don't really compare broadband prices.

They only work with the providers that pay them and they're not interested in working with smaller providers, because there isn't enough of a slice of the cake for them there.

So ... it's actually not really an objective comparison to use those sites. It's just a lazy way of choosing between the big providers. The packages you find on there are whatever the providers, that have access, have entered.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Has anyone got Eir FTTH 1000mb installed? According to the Eir website it's available to me home now. Looking to know which is the best deal to go with. Have had people from Eir and Vodaphone call in the last few days but haven't had time to talk to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Has anyone got Eir FTTH 1000mb installed? According to the Eir website it's available to me home now. Looking to know which is the best deal to go with. Have had people from Eir and Vodaphone call in the last few days but haven't had time to talk to them.

Just 3 posts above yours, digiman is saying he's on 1 Gbps but thinks 150 Mbps would be adequate.

I'm on 150 Mbps and find it is more than adequate.

cnocbui wrote:
    Just 3 posts above yours, digiman is saying he's on 1 Gbps but thinks 150 Mbps would be adequate.

I'm on 150 Mbps and find it is more than adequate.

Sorry should have read back a bit first. Will have a read through the thread soon. Is the 1000mb speed more or less consistent I wonder? 1000 seems excessive but for the price of it it isn't far off what im paying now for 60mb wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There are overheads actual speeds are closer to this

150 package = 142
    300 package = 280
    1000 package = 940

For the vast majority of people those actual speeds are very consistent. I'm also on 150 and no regrets at all, personally I've never felt like I should have gone for the faster package because the speed I do get is consistent 24/7

I also am on the 150.

Mostly my downloads are limited by the speed of the server and not my own speed.
    Even if I could consistently get 1Gb/s down from servers, I doubt it would make any real difference to me, as it is not something I do consistently hour by hour.

I would like a better upload speed.
    I would be much happier with 100 down and up to help with faster uploads/backups.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I also am on the 150.

Mostly my downloads are limited by the speed of the server and not my own speed.
    Even if I could consistently get 1Gb/s down from servers, I doubt it would make any real difference to me, as it is not something I do consistently hour by hour.

I would like a better upload speed.
    I would be much happier with 100 down and up to help with faster uploads/backups.

When I was on 1000 down for 24 hours last week, I tried to maximize the speed and couldn't. Most websites were giving around 35 to 45mb/s download speeds. The Highest I got was about 68mb/s on Steam. A 1000meg line can max out at just over 100mb/s, but very few places allow you to download at such a speed.

I agree on the upload speeds, they are a bit on the low side compared to the download speeds. Hopefully OpenEir will adjust their upload speeds this year to something more similar to Siro's upload speeds.

Thanks for the replies lads. I priced the 1000mb package and it's 65 a month with phone and TV, none of which I want. For Broadband only its 83.... Any other providers apart from Eir or Vodaphone? I looked up Airwave but that's only showing for wireless broadband. Really want to try get a good deal before I jump over L, one with no data cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

tuxy wrote: »
    There are overheads actual speeds are closer to this

150 package = 142
    300 package = 280
    1000 package = 940

For the vast majority of people those actual speeds are very consistent. I'm also on 150 and no regrets at all, personally I've never felt like I should have gone for the faster package because the speed I do get is consistent 24/7

We are on 300 package but would consider downgrading to 150 package to save a few bob if 300 unnecessary. Family with 3 teenagers all watching 4K/iPad Netflix, social media etc at same time. Mam and dad would also be streaming 4K Netflix etc.

Worth having 300 package in above scenario?

Thanks for the replies lads. I priced the 1000mb package and it's 65 a month with phone and TV, none of which I want. For Broadband only its 83.... Any other providers apart from Eir or Vodaphone? I looked up Airwave but that's only showing for wireless broadband. Really want to try get a good deal before I jump over L, one with no data cap.

Is airwire available to you?
    http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/ruralftth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/

AFAIK Airwire cover most areas that have openEir FTTH and SIRO available.

I looked up Airwave

That's because you're looking at the wrong provider.

Airwave = Fixed Wireless Provider in Cork
    Airwire = Provider in Galway, that does Fixed Wireless in the West, SIRO in many places of the country and OpenEIR FTTH and VDSL nationwide.

http://www.airwire.ie/ is where you need to check.

Also .. many of the ones on this list do FTTH on OpenEIRs network: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

The message on Airwire FTTH regarding my eircode has changed from 'not available' to 'coming soon'.
    I have contacted Airwire but their sales are busy.

What does 'coming soon' mean?
    Can I place an order?
    When will it be available or when should I expect it to be available?

manshay wrote: »
    The message on Airwire FTTH regarding my eircode has changed from 'not available' to 'coming soon'.
    I have contacted Airwire but their sales are busy.

If you don't get sales, as they are busy, we try and get back to you within an hour or two. Worst case, next day. We will return every call.
    What does 'coming soon' mean?
    Can I place an order?
    When will it be available or when should I expect it to be available?

It means, that OpenEIR now have indexed your premise for FTTH. For the majority of premises it means about 1-2 months, but you can't place an order yet. We will take your order, once OpenEIR sets a delivery date (Available on XX.XX.XXXX).

Sometimes it takes longer. It is a good sign though.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Thanks Martin!

Will that message about the available date eventually show on your website checker?

Will that message about the available date eventually show on your website checker?

Yes, it will. We are updating our database nearly every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Hey All, there was news recently of further upgrades to exchanges which will provide FTTH, anyone got a link to the list,
    I believe our local exchange which covers quite a large area of both rural and semi rural was mentioned to me as being on the list.

Anyone know if they'd do the whole exchange coverage area or selected homes only

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Check the fibre rollout map: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

Solid areas in green covered by fibre to the cabinet, won't be getting fibre to the home - that is only for marked routes out along roads where the houses that can avail of FTTH are marked as blue dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

cnocbui wrote: »
    Check the fibre rollout map: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

Solid areas in green covered by fibre to the cabinet, won't be getting fibre to the home - that is only for marked routes out along roads where the houses that can avail of FTTH are marked as blue dots.

Yeah, seen that map long time ago, this was related to presser in Feb i think when they announced further FTTH exhanges to be passed with FTTH once the current rollout is completed this year. Our exchange was mentioned if I recall but I'm curious how much of the Exchange they might possibly do as its quite a vast area this particular exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

BobMc wrote: »
    Yeah, seen that map long time ago, this was related to presser in Feb i think when they announced further FTTH exhanges to be passed with FTTH once the current rollout is completed this year. Our exchange was mentioned if I recall but I'm curious how much of the Exchange they might possibly do as its quite a vast area this particular exchange

Here are the list of towns. It is going to be a more urban centric rollout so if you are rural to one of these I would not hold out much hope.

DzHHnneX4AAfVrC.jpg

Here are the list of towns. It is going to be a more urban centric rollout so if you are rural to one of these I would not hold out much hope.

Also, the IFN rollout is unlikely to start before August/September. Latest info is, that they only are about to agree on a vendor for the gear.

It will offer the same products as the 300k, but will be 10 GBit/s based GPON (10G-PON or XGS-PON). So it's all new shiney gear.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Marlow wrote: »
    Also, the IFN rollout is unlikely to start before August/September. Latest info is, that they only are about to agree on a vendor for the gear.

It will offer the same products as the 300k, but will be 10 GBit/s based GPON (10G-PON or XGS-PON). So it's all new shiney gear.

/M

Well the rural project is unlikely to be finished by then anyway. Are they not sticking with Huawei?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement