Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Are they not sticking with Huawei?

The notion I got, is that they are going with whoever is delivering best value for money (as in ... the cheapest they can get). It has been tendered by several vendors and as long as the contracts aren't signed nobody over there is talking.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Marlow wrote: »
    The notion I got, is that they are going with whoever is delivering best value for money (as in ... the cheapest they can get). It has been tendered by several vendors and as long as the contracts aren't signed nobody over there is talking.

/M

That's interesting as they seemed to have a good working relationship with Huawei but I guess money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Here are the list of towns. It is going to be a more urban centric rollout so if you are rural to one of these I would not hold out much hope.

DzHHnneX4AAfVrC.jpg

Thats what I was on the look out for, yeah the exchange is listed, its Athlunkard in Clare, its a big area, covers some 4000+ premises, so I'd be surprised but thankfull if it covers the entire exchange area !

BobMc wrote: »
    Thats what I was on the look out for, yeah the exchange is listed, its Athlunkard in Clare, its a big area, covers some 4000+ premises, so I'd be surprised but thankfull if it covers the entire exchange area !

I'm afraid it is highly unlikely to cover the whole exchange area. They will be looking to target high density areas.

think our estate is 150+ or so houses, already with two Cabinets FTTC so hopefull they'll see it as a good investment

• Advertisement

think our estate is 150+ or so houses, already with two Cabinets FTTC so hopefull they'll see it as a good investment

Yeah that would be a good shout I would have thought.

I'm afraid it is highly unlikely to cover the whole exchange area. They will be looking to target high density areas.

The main target for the IFN is VDSL and Urban NBP premises. So if you have VDSL now, especially if it is sub 30 Mbit/s, then you're nearly guaranteed to be covered under that build.

/M

The main target for the IFN is VDSL and Urban NBP premises. So if you have VDSL now, especially if it is sub 30 Mbit/s, then you're nearly guaranteed to be covered under that build.

/M

Yep comes in about 15/18mbs, fine for the most part but you can tell its a speed thats starting to struggle, all of us online at one time, netflix, deezer running, plus I've the house wired to the moon with other bits and bobs of tech etc etc. - I know compared to some with worse speeds its not as bad as it could be but the thoughts of 150mb ++ does excite me (sad basta$d)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This was their press release, also includes the list of towns
    eir launches €0.5 billion fixed network investment programme

"Ireland's Fibre Network" available within five years to every town with more than 1,000 premises

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-launches-0.5-billion-fixed-network-investment-programme/

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

/M

Does this mean there will be two different kinds of ont on the network or will they be swapping everyone over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Just wondering about something: The paths the fibre took in the village left people without the chance of FTTH. But on the map, which is so out of date is the reason I have to ask, it says there's a cabinet planned for the area. I presume it's for FTTC for those not on the yellow lines.

1) Is the cabinet for VDSL? If so what's the distance limit from the cabinet because if it's only 1KM then there are definitely premises that will have been missed by both FTTH and FTTC
    2) Would the cabinet likely have been finished at the same time as the main initial fibre stringing back in Feb or is it something that could take a few more months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Does this mean there will be two different kinds of ont on the network or will they be swapping everyone over?

The IFN will be a 10G (xgspon) network so likely to have a different ONT

babi-hrse wrote: »
    joe_99 wrote: »
    The IFN will be a 10G (xgspon) network so likely to have a different ONT

There will be different ONTs for the 300k network and the IFN. The IFN will have an ONT with the standard RJ45 1 GBit/s port and another port for 10 Gbit/s.

/M

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    1) Is the cabinet for VDSL? If so what's the distance limit from the cabinet because if it's only 1KM then there are definitely premises that will have been missed by both FTTH and FTTC
    2) Would the cabinet likely have been finished at the same time as the main initial fibre stringing back in Feb or is it something that could take a few more months?

The cabinet is for FTTC/VDSL. It has nothing to do with the yellow lines and FTTH.

The range for VDSL is 2km, but it gets crummy at 500m+ very quickly. Generally 500m is all that is covered by each cabinet.

The rollout of cabinets and FTTH has nothing to do with each other. In some cases the cabinets came first, in some cases the FTTH came first. It's being build by different teams.

And there are cabinets in place 2+ years, that yet still have no connectivity.

/M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Just wondering about something: The paths the fibre took in the village left people without the chance of FTTH. But on the map, which is so out of date is the reason I have to ask, it says there's a cabinet planned for the area. I presume it's for FTTC for those not on the yellow lines.

(Assuming I know the village you're talking about based on recognising the road from the photo you posted before...)

It's annoyingly misleading terminology - it says there's a cabinet planned, but you'll notice that reference for it ends with "E01". This indicates that it's actually an exchange, not a cabinet.

Granted, the exchange in question basically is a cabinet, but not in the FTTC sense.

Anyone in the village who missed out on FTTH will have to wait for the NBP, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Hello all - is it normal to be waiting ages for a reply from fibrepower@openeir.ie - I have sent them 2 emails over the past month and it says in my thunderbird that the messages were delivered - i havent got a read reply notification, so is the email address still in use/looked at does anyone know?

Thanks.

Hello all - is it normal to be waiting ages for a reply from fibrepower@openeir.ie - I have sent them 2 emails over the past month and it says in my thunderbird that the messages were delivered - i havent got a read reply notification, so is the email address still in use/looked at does anyone know?

Thanks.

They had been completely silent on Twitter since January until one message a few days ago. I would not be expecting a response to be honest. Certainly don't expect an explanation for why your area is delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

They had been completely silent on Twitter since January until one message a few days ago. I would not be expecting a response to be honest. Certainly don't expect an explanation for why your area is delayed.

oh alright - thanks anyway

The range for VDSL is 2km, but it gets crummy at 500m+ very quickly. Generally 500m is all that is covered by each cabinet.

And there are cabinets in place 2+ years, that yet still have no connectivity.

/M

This is not entirely accurate

Experience dictates 0 400m from cabinet gets about 100mbs
    After that it drops off
    500m90mpbs
    600m 80 - 70mpbs
    And so forth at 1.3km it can be anywhere from 12 - 1mpbs
    there are some that are upgraded to 1.8km but nobody really knows which those are so at 1.4km it won't even be entertained and frankly the end user isn't going to be happy with the results if it did lock on as it can just as easily loose synch.
    Of course this is only the norm as there are places with copper so poor that you struggle to get 50mpbs on a 300m line that should be pushing 100.

Thankfully I haven't had the misfortune to have to build a line in one of those areas for a while now knock on wood.

For anyone wondering how to tell if there's fttc in their area.
    Not all cabinets are VDSL enabled a quick glance around the cabinet will tell you if there's a second green box within 30m (usually right next to it or across the road from it) that would be the DSLAM fibre optic links come from the exchange to DSLAM which has ports in the cabinet. So no DSLAM no vdsl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So it's from the fibre rollout site so not the greatest upto date resource but.

What's the deal here, single house out of a few hundred listed as live.

477091.jpg

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »

Most likely it is a mistake. It doesn't make much sense otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wally82

I've seen the same in my area. There is one house out of all the houses in the area that are getting FTTH that shows it is live. The rest including mine are still not live. Even checked the eircode for the "live" house on the airwire availability checker and that came back with a service available for that house, so maybe not a mistake on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wally82 wrote: »
    I've seen the same in my area. There is one house out of all the houses in the area that are getting FTTH that shows it is live. The rest including mine are still not live. Even checked the eircode for the "live" house on the airwire availability checker and that came back with a service available for that house, so maybe not a mistake on the map

Did the same, house seems to be new as the aerial picture on the eircode site doesn't have it but I could get an eircode and tried it.

Using the post code says yes on rollout site but on Airwire and elsewhere says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭John mac

Varik wrote: »

have the same in Foxford ,
    couple of houses are green but no fibre laid yet
    477104.JPG

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

John mac wrote: »
    have the same in Foxford ,
    couple of houses are green but no fibre laid yet
    477104.JPG

It looks like those four houses actually qualify for VDSL, but not at the 30M speed that would justify marking them as covered from the NBP perspective (I checked one, and it prequals at 15M).

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It looks like those four houses actually qualify for VDSL, but not at the 30M speed that would justify marking them as covered from the NBP perspective (I checked one, and it prequals at 15M).

They have done that in other areas also, marking premises green even though they don't meet the 30Mb target.

They have done that in other areas also, marking premises green even though they don't meet the 30Mb target.

Maybe they have plans to introduce vectoring on these cabs so it can push higher speeds?
    Wouldn't explain the random houses though

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

NOOB questions coming up :)
    Would the vectoring have to start at the exchange/ cabinet or could it start from the final connection on the fibre cable?
    Could a mini cabinet be placed at the end of the fibre line?
    What problems/costs would be encountered?

Altreab2 wrote: »
    NOOB questions coming up :)
    Would the vectoring have to start at the exchange/ cabinet or could it start from the final connection on the fibre cable?
    Could a mini cabinet be placed at the end of the fibre line?
    What problems/costs would be encountered?

The exchange or DSLAM would be enabled for it. Many have vectoring enabled I was thinking along the lines of some kind of new updated version that could eke more distance and speed from existing infrastructure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

Hello all I have sent them 2 emails over the past month and it says in my thunderbird that the messages were delivered - i havent got a read reply notification, so is the email address still in use/looked at does anyone know?

Thanks.

I recently sent an email regarding local exchange been upgraded and got a reply back within 24 hours saying all contact regarding connections would have to go through my provider.

The map and details marked on road seem to show that fibre cable will stop at my neighbours house and im left to the NBP.

Been onto my provider and they just keep saying they will contact me when the exchange is updated :( Asked for a manager to call me back but still waiting. That said they do have another 24 hours to get back to me according to response times.
    I live in hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement