Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

babi-hrse wrote: »
    The exchange or DSLAM would be enabled for it. Many have vectoring enabled I was thinking along the lines of some kind of new updated version that could eke more distance and speed from existing infrastructure

How could i find out if it has been enabled? As i am a considerable distance from the exchange it may not be relevant to me anyways. Im 4Km away by road from it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Share with the neighbors. That or wait for the NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Altreab2 wrote: »
    How could i find out if it has been enabled? As i am a considerable distance from the exchange it may not be relevant to me anyways. Im 4Km away by road from it :(

How far are you from the cab if there is one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Maybe they have plans to introduce vectoring on these cabs so it can push higher speeds?

Supervectoring was completely shelved in favour of the IFN rollout. So there's only the 4 trial exchanges and that's that. It's not available as a product to the public.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

They probably should have gone ahead with the super vectoring, everything was in place to do so?

It will be years before many premises in urban areas get connected to OpenEir FTTH.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    They probably should have gone ahead with the super vectoring, everything was in place to do so?

It will be years before many premises in urban areas get connected to OpenEir FTTH.

Yes ... everything was in place as such apart from linecards that maybe needed upgrading or replacing. And the new ownership didn't want to fork out for that as he was more interested in FTTH.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Small box next to the cab is the DSLAM
    This has a fibre optic connection from exchange to it where it can add broadband along copper lines from cab onwards.

How far are you from the cab if there is one?

By road im 4Km but closer to 5km on the line id say from the speeds im getting at present. 4.5 Megs stable.
    Small box next to the cab is the DSLAM
    This has a fibre optic connection from exchange to it where it can add broadband along copper lines from cab onwards.

Could a Cabinet/DSLAM box be connected at end of the fibre run and then VDSL rest of the way? In theory at least. The cost to install would im guessing be to high in reality.

is this the supervectoring that was mentioned earlier? https://en.avm.de/guide/high-speed-and-range/35b-supervectoring-explained/

300MB would suit me fine until NBP kicks in :D

Altreab2 wrote: »
    By road im 4Km but closer to 5km on the line id say from the speeds im getting at present. 4.5 Megs stable.

Those 4.5M are ADSL2 of the exchange. VDSL cabs only do 2km tops.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can we stop derailing the thread with FTTC when Altreab2 made it clear ages ago he was on the town periphery miles from the VDSL footprint and just outside the 300K GPON footprint.
    Share with the neighbors. That or wait for the NBP.

^ this is what you need to know.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Can we stop derailing the thread with FTTC when Altreab2 made it clear ages ago he was on the town periphery miles from the VDSL footprint and just outside the 300K GPON footprint.

^ this is what you need to know.

looking more and more like i will have to wait for the NBP :(:( Way too far to run a cable to my neighbour and there isnt line of sight to them :( Feck it anyway!!!
    Thanks for all your help. Now to derail the derailing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

There's been an FTTH unit installed on the pole right outside my house for the past year or so, but it doesn't appear to be connected to anything yet and fibre is still not available. Do you guys know if there's any way of finding out when a unit or area is due to go live?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wally82

There's been an FTTH unit installed on the pole right outside my house for the past year or so, but it doesn't appear to be connected to anything yet and fibre is still not available. Do you guys know if there's any way of finding out when a unit or area is due to go live?

I've had fibre and a DP on the pole outside my house for 6 weeks now and it's driving me mad waiting for the rollout map and availability checkers to say it's live. I had hoped it wouldn't take this long but having it sitting there for a year would drive me around the twist. I'd imagine all you can do is check the availability checker on openeir but it all tends to be a vague "first/second half of [insert year]" response.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

With the 300k June 30th commitment agreement date fast approaching are they focusing more on passing premises than actually connecting them I wonder?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

It's a big update this week, as there is over 13000 new premises in the file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

It's a big update this week, as there is over 13000 new premises in the file.

That's great Martin, finally showing as available 8th May so will probably be in contact. :D

Having issues at the minute tracing the duct from the pole to the house.Is blocked along it length somewhere and trying to locate it. Did hire a Cat and Genny and thought I had the route traced but it seems to disappear off somewhere or is burried very deep. Looking like I will be hiring a mini excavator to dig a new trench if I can't trace the problem. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Just checked for availability now..ftth available from 8th May:):).. Splice boxes in the ground a week now..Kells exchange Kilkenny..

It seems to be that those within the village of Kells, Kilkenny are only getting FTTC though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

pegasus1 wrote: »
    It seems to be that those within the village of Kells, Kilkenny are only getting FTTC though

That's what they do. Those within range of the exchange will get eVDSL while the FTTH will start further out.

• Advertisement

That's what they do. Those within range of the exchange will get eVDSL while the FTTH will start further out.
    This was my thinking as no fibre was being run in the village or splice boxes on poles...thankfully I am in the next village over, fed from the exchange..splice boxes were installed a week ago so putting a recent availability timeframe in of 5 weeks from splice box install

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Eir FTTH live in my area from April 17th. A lot of bad reviews on boards but their 300mb package on a 12 month contract at €40.99 is hard to beat.They have an online offer at €99.99 for installation (normally €249.99).

Any thoughts?

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Eir FTTH live in my area from April 17th. A lot of bad reviews on boards but their 300mb package on a 12 month contract at €40.99 is hard to beat.They have an online offer at €99.99 for installation (normally €249.99).

Any thoughts?

First of all, if you're already an Eir customer, then the price on the website won't be what you get. It'll be 10 EUR/month more.

And then, that price is only for the first year, after which it goes up. Vastly.

So, if you like to change providers a lot, then it's probably a good deal .. if you can live with the waiting times on their support line.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Thanks.

Not an existing customer. Thinking of signing up for the 12 months and then move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It all depends on how important internet is to you. If nothing goes wrong then it works out very cheap, if not you could be waiting weeks for Eir to resolve the problem as there is a good chance you will have to contact COMREG to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The connection is solid ...... same for all providers.
    Getting through to eir by phone has been a huge hassle for a long time, but my recent experience is quite good ....... less than 10 min wait after the auto BS does its thing.
    After that I spoke with two Irish guys working out of Limerick who arranged for a replacement modem (orig burned out in lightening strike) which was sent out via courier, who took back the old one.
    No charge as I am in contract.

I was quite impressed with both the guys I spoke to ...... friendly and reasonably 'with it' so knew what my situation was.

Based on this one experience I would think eir have their customer service problems in hand, since moving it in house.

The negative side of an eir connection is the cost ..... I went with them for the free sports package.
    I think the monthly charge I contracted at is about €59 for the 150 Mb/s package ..... but this has changed I understand.
    It was at least €10 more than I would have had to pay if I was not an existing eir customer. That is eir loyalty for you!

I am happy with the service but will leave them at the end of contract due to their lack of loyalty to their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Baoithin66 wrote: »

Any thoughts?

You can save even more by opting for 150 Mbps, as 300 is overkill for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cnocbui wrote: »
    You can save even more by opting for 150 Mbps, as 300 is overkill for most people.

150 and 300 are currently the same price with Eir for the first year, it would seem they hope people go for the 300 and don't switch after 12 months.

The new structure to Open Eir's pricing seems to have allowed Eir to be much more aggressive with their prices. Is there any conclusion on if this new pricing structure is bad for smaller providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

One off installation fee
    €99.99
    One off bundle activation fee
    €39.99

This implies that a change of provider will cost the customer €40, IF that installation fee is really a ONE OFF.
    Is that the case for those changing provider?

So the 150 from eir is now about €5 dearer for new customers, than I saw it recently?

• Advertisement

This implies that a change of provider will cost the customer €40, IF that installation fee is really a ONE OFF.
    Is that the case for those changing provider?

Who knows ? ... It costs them 170+VAT to OpenEIR no matter if it's a provider change, electronic enablement or an engineer call.

Wouldn't wonder me, if they still charged both amounts.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement