Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Apologies for this lads but can someone give me the TLDR what is the procedure for Eir extending their rural fiber line to reach a house. Planning to build a house not far from a city but unfortunately their FFTH stops about 400 meters for where I'm planning to build. :(

I have 1Gb/s FTTH for about 3-4 years now and I don't want to loose it.

Thanks

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

There is no chance. You will have to wait for the NBP.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Marlow wrote: »

/M

not sure there is going to be a NBP either. FG have no interest in it.

/M
    Disaster...you wouldn't mind but if you carry on another 500 meters it meets another live fibre line.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Disaster...you wouldn't mind but if you carry on another 500 meters it meets another live fibre line.???

And then they might as well extend another 500 and another.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »

Your very funny...

Your very funny...

Why extend it 500 metres and then stop at that? I don't find it funny that the NBP is a disaster.

Your very funny...

It's actually the argument you'd have with OpenEIR when asking them. Their maximum reach from the exchange is 20 km total. That includes all spurs and customer connections. So the entire cluster (each port on the OLT in the exchange) can not exceed a maximum of 20km fibre run.

And then there is the limitation in ports.

So what Tuxy said is the reality. Unless they have planned for it, there is no extensions. It's hard enough to get them to connected houses they missed en route. And houses more than 150m from the road are also not connected, even though the fibre passes them.

They won't even go 50m from the last listed premise. Nevermind 400m.

/M

It's actually the argument you'd have with OpenEIR when asking them. Their maximum reach from the exchange is 20 km total. That includes all spurs and customer connections. So the entire cluster (each port on the OLT in the exchange) can not exceed a maximum of 20km fibre run.

And then there is the limitation in ports.

So what Tuxy said is the reality. Unless they have planned for it, there is no extensions. It's hard enough to get them to connected houses they missed en route. And houses more than 150m from the road are also not connected, even though the fibre passes them.

They won't even go 50m from the last listed premise. Nevermind 400m.

/M

Its all a bit crazy really because I was one of the first to get FTTH about 4 years ago from eir. I live in an estate in Cork and they brought it through thier own ducts. But what Im seeing over the last couple of weeks SIRO pulling new fibre in the estate so Im in the position I have now 2 fibre cables running past my door....I cant see the logic really. Why cant eir rent their infrastructure. These SIRO guys looking at it are spending a fortune putting in chambers and cabinets etc. Im sure here are other estates that don't have anything

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

And someone at SIRO is probably asking why you didn't choose to build a house somewhere that will be serviced by fibre if it's so important to you.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    And someone at SIRO is probably asking why you didn't choose to build a house somewhere that will be serviced by fibre if it's so important to you.

Whats with all the negative vibes in this sub:confused::confused::confused: all I asked was a simple question....

Im out

Why cant eir rent their infrastructure. These SIRO guys looking at it are spending a fortune putting in chambers and cabinets etc. Im sure here are other estates that don't have anything

They can rent eirs infrastructure, but the prices are too high. Also, they would be limited to what OpenEIR allows them to do etc. So, if they did that, they wouldn't be able to offer their partners the wholesale pricing they do.

There are lots of reasons for building your own infrastructure.

Virgin does the same thing. Virgin even went as far as starting to pull their own fibres across the country, so that they didn't have to sublet from others anymore.

Also, SIROs build is actually extremely cost effective, because they use the existing ESB infrastructure (chambers and ducts). A lot more cost effective than Virgins build.

You just look at what's happening on the ground. But there is a far bigger picture to the whole thing. And the cost of the current build is going to pay back quick enough. Calculations of this magniture span over 15-25 years.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Are open eir actually making their money back on the current rollout?
    I don't think they're gonna care about the people left behind once they get their 300k done just all chatter about urban rollouts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Payback will be many years, no profit until then. Right now theyve absorbed nearly all the cost but have a small subsribed base from the rollout. That'll rise over time.

They will need to continue with urban work as VDSL becomes outpaced. Virgin are at 500 and SIRO are a gig. Doesnt mean rural work cannot happen simultaneously. Lots of KNN vans on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

How likely are they to achieve the June deadline? No sign of work here since January when they did some duct work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

medoc wrote: »
    How likely are they to achieve the June deadline? No sign of work here since January when they did some duct work.

That's a good question - it would be a guess from me that they won't.
    Have you checked the Airwire checker to see if you can order yet?
    Mine is due 8th of May but I've been told that it can be pushed out so not holding my breath.
    BTW - same as you they've done some duct work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The end is finally in sight...

Installation booked for Thursday. All guns blazing tonight as I still need to route the remainder of the duct and pull a line through.

Someone posted a picture for me earlier in the thread but I can't find it so maybe someone could explain again?

When they take the line in through the wall, they will fit 2 boxes (can't remember the name of them).

Then an ethernet cable comes from one of those boxes to the router and we're good to go.

So the KN guys can do their job in probably under an hour and then we're all set?

Am I right in thinking that there is then nothing stopping me from running a cat 5 cable up through the wall (there is a duct there from an old phone line) and then repositioning that router in the attic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

KN ran the ducting along our road in November. No sign of anyone since.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Same here - we have coiled fibre on posts for a while now, but no sign of any activity for a number of weeks.

Frustrating as just outside Dublin (not that this necessarily means anything) and practically everywhere within a 20-30km is green on the map (more in some directions).

Trying not to be impatient but this 8Mb PTP is killing me!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

ED E wrote: »
    Payback will be many years, no profit until then. Right now theyve absorbed nearly all the cost but have a small subsribed base from the rollout. That'll rise over time.

They will need to continue with urban work as VDSL becomes outpaced. Virgin are at 500 and SIRO are a gig. Doesnt mean rural work cannot happen simultaneously. Lots of KNN vans on the road.

Correct. I've seen them in rural areas that they already covered in their original rollout (read: NBP grab) with "eFibre" but they are now back again to cover the entire area which is marked on the FTTH rollout map. I must admit that I honestly thought that they would never actually bother rolling out FTTH in the areas I've seen them in, so it bodes well that they will actually complete the entire rollout they promised.

One thing that did strike me though is that they seem to be running it through ducts they are digging into the ditches along the roadside rather than along the poles like they did in the FTTC rollout. Is this the norm now? Never really took too much notice in the past, so forgive me if it's a stupid question! :o :P

DrPhilG wrote: »

Installation booked for Thursday. All guns blazing tonight as I still need to route the remainder of the duct and pull a line through.

Someone posted a picture for me earlier in the thread but I can't find it so maybe someone could explain again?

When they take the line in through the wall, they will fit 2 boxes (can't remember the name of them).

Then an ethernet cable comes from one of those boxes to the router and we're good to go.

So the KN guys can do their job in probably under an hour and then we're all set?

Am I right in thinking that there is then nothing stopping me from running a cat 5 cable up through the wall (there is a duct there from an old phone line) and then repositioning that router in the attic?

Nope nothing stopping you running cat5 to another location in house and using router from that location. The ont and odp both take about the same footprint of your closed fist you may be getting the cradle version which the ont sits into odp, it looks neater and you won't have a ringed around fibre patch lead hanging under it.

BandMember wrote: »
    Correct. I've seen them in rural areas that they already covered in their original rollout (read: NBP grab) with "eFibre" but they are now back again to cover the entire area which is marked on the FTTH rollout map. I must admit that I honestly thought that they would never actually bother rolling out FTTH in the areas I've seen them in, so it bodes well that they will actually complete the entire rollout they promised.

One thing that did strike me though is that they seem to be running it through ducts they are digging into the ditches along the roadside rather than along the poles like they did in the FTTC rollout. Is this the norm now? Never really took too much notice in the past, so forgive me if it's a stupid question! :o :P

There's alot of it underground too some areas you wouldn't think it to be there but generally if you see it on poles then another stretch ahead it may be in the pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

DrPhilG wrote: »

Of the 3 installations I've seen since February (including one just installed at work today), they seem to put a single cradle on the wall which holds the ONT in place.
    The ONT has 3 sockets on it, power in, fibre in and ethernet out.

7kOj4d4.jpg

The picture is of my own house so the specific information I give here won't apply to all installs.

The cradle was installed on the wall in the same box where an old eircom socket used to be (I took it off the wall before KN arrived) so it has a conduit straight into the attic. The fibre comes from the far gable, all the way through the attic then down the conduit into the ONT. Ethernet from the ONT to the router, then another ethernet cable from the router goes back up behind the cradle (there was already enough of a gap in the plaster from an old phone setup we had going) through the attic to another room.

If:
    -there's room to fit your ethernet cable behind the cradle
    -you already have the ethernet cable through the conduit
    -the conduit is big enough for both the fibre cable and the ethernet (my 22mm oval conduit was fine)
    -you have a plug in the attic for the router

then there should be no problem.

Just to clarify about fitting the Ethernet cable that goes to the attic behind the cradle
    kFt8mhg.jpg?1

After they ran out of stock of the cradle I think they went back to separate ODP and ONT.

After they ran out of stock of the cradle I think they went back to separate ODP and ONT.
    Guess the stock depends on where you are. It was installed in work today and they had a cradle left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thanks babi-hrse and Airbiscuit.

In my case the fibre line will be coming in through a newly laid duct, via a newly drilled hole and installed on the inside wall.

So the fibre line won't need to come down the old phone line duct.

The plan is for KN to install the cradle or dual box version, then rather then take a short ethernet from the ONT to the router, I'll already have a long cable running down the duct so that can plug into the ONT and then the other end into the router in the attic.

There are already cables in place to go from there to the Sky box, CCTV recorder etc.

Finally buried the duct this evening and pulled a string through all the way from the pole, to the joint from the old duct:
    477966.jpg

-and up to the side of the house.
    477967.jpg

I'll trim the duct at the house once I've spoken to the installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

turbbo wrote: »
    That's a good question - it would be a guess from me that they won't.
    Have you checked the Airwire checker to see if you can order yet?
    Mine is due 8th of May but I've been told that it can be pushed out so not holding my breath.
    BTW - same as you they've done some duct work.

Airwire checker still says unavailable. Every time there’s an update I check lol. I’m lucky there’s only two of us in the house and we are getting about 5.6 mb from Eir which is just about ok if we manage it. At least we will be getting FTTH soon, many are stuck with the vain hope of the NBP.

Oh well a while longer checking the poles as I arrive home from work every evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

On fibrerollout.ie the FTTH-Day-of-install document states

"it is important to note that open eir do not install in attic spaces"

Does that exclude the cable passing though the attic space or does it mean the technician will not enter an attic space?

My home is shaped like an L, its a dormer with attached garage, the only dormer end facing the pole has no external doors and the cable would have to enter a bedroom which would be unsuitable. The current copper wire leaves the telegraph pole by a narrow bore unsealed plastic pipe, it reappears in an external service hatch which has no power supply and is probably not suitable to have electrical equipment in.

The best solution is that the cable enters the attic, the attic must be reached by ladder but is floored with chipboard. If I was there during the install could I offer to pull the cable through the attic, so it could be installed outside the attic in a more suitable location?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement