Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ok, I misunderstood your install - I thought you took the fibre into the attic and then down the wall to the ONT.

The fibre cable itself is terminated with a connector which plugs into the cradle/ONT combo somewhere. I was thinking that if the cable came via the attic, and the duct was big enough for the fibre connector to pass through, you could have relocated everything to the the Attic, if you had a power socket installed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Attic install had been the original plan but we ended up just going in through the wall. New plan is that the ethernet goes up the wall and the router lives in the attic.

On a other note, Pure confirmed that the courier bringing the router is working tomorrow and will definitely deliver.

Also its not the Technicolor router, its a Fritzbox 7530. Is that any better?

From Marlow's descriptions, Fritzbox are the bees knees.

Do you have existing ducting up the wall to the attic or were you going to take ethernet back through the wall to the outside then up the wall and in through the soffit? If the latter, seems very messy.

cnocbui wrote: »
    From Marlow's descriptions, Fritzbox are the bees knees.

Do you have existing ducting up the wall to the attic or were you going to take ethernet back through the wall to the outside then up the wall and in through the soffit? If the latter, seems very messy.

Good news on the Fritz.

I have existing ducting, which now has 3 ethernet cables going through it.

1 is plugged into the fibre terminal, and will go into the router in the attic.

The other 2 will plug into the cctv recorder (also located in the attic) and the downstairs end will hopefully (pending wife approval) then go out a fresh hole in the wall and off into the great outdoors.

478073.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

So is what your saying is you have put one cat5 cable from ont up inside the wall to attic plugged modem in up there and are trying to use the duct to bring back down multiple cat5 cables but not to ont just back out external wall to ducting?
    If your handy with plastering you could colour match the paint buy paint and a steel knockout box bury it in wall get a lid bring cables through plaster around it and paint it.
    If internal wall you could get a drylining box and a multitool from Aldi or Lidl
    They have a plunge saw blade that can cut neatly through plasterboard without leaving scars all over the wall. Retrieve cables and put drylining box in place drop a faceplate on it and it'll look like it belongs there.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Good news on the Fritz.

I have existing ducting, which now has 3 ethernet cables going through it.

1 is plugged into the fibre terminal, and will go into the router in the attic.

The other 2 will plug into the cctv recorder (also located in the attic) and the downstairs end will hopefully (pending wife approval) then go out a fresh hole in the wall and off into the great outdoors.

478073.jpg

You could buy a tackwise ct60 wire stapler and bring the cable down to the skirting and across and back up to duct.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    You could buy a tackwise ct60 wire stapler and bring the cable down to the skirting and across and back up to duct.

To be honest there's normally a locker in front of that whole setup so it'll be fine. The only issue is getting the 2 cables out through the wall.

New problem...

New router not coming til tomorrow, but my Eir service has now ended because my Pure Telecom account has begun.

Is it possible for me to use the old Eir Zyxel router in the meantime?

New problem...

New router not coming til tomorrow, but my Eir service has now ended because my Pure Telecom account has begun.

Is it possible for me to use the old Eir Zyxel router in the meantime?

Not too sure about that but does your laptop have Bluetooth
    You could try to connect your computer to the ont set up the interface then check use the Bluetooth to share this computers connection.
    Zyxtel router Afaik I don't think so not unless you can twiddle with its config then I'm not sure it will even speak the same language as that wouldn't even work with VDSL.
    Perhaps someone else has more info.
    I tried to see if there was a way to get a hg659 to work with it but with providers that aren't eir Vodafone and sky the pppoe authentication requires login details that would be saved on your modem before it was posted out to you. As far as I could see there was no way to change any of these settings on the main 3's plug and play modems

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Zyxtel router Afaik I don't think so not unless you can twiddle with its config then I'm not sure it will even speak the same language as that wouldn't even work with VDSL.

Balls and balls again.

Called Pure to ask if I would. Be able to use the old Zyxel router until the new one arrived.

First bad news - no is the answer. The old router isn't even compatible as it has the old phone sized I put socket rather than the rj45. Router needs to be WAN compatible.

Second bad news - the eejit who assured me earlier that DPD were working on good Friday and my router would definitely arrive, was talking out of his rear. DPD are not working tomorrow, router won't arrive until Tuesday. No Internet throughout the Easter weekend.

Glimmer of good news - Pure Telecom guy said that if I can get hold of a compatible router, I can use it until the Fritzbox arrives. I've sent out an SOS on Facebook to see if anyone has an old one around. Barring that I'm just going to go buy a cheap cheerful one in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I think DPD deliver Good Friday, they just don’t do collections.

https://dpd.ie/About-DPD/The-Company/Key-Closure-Dates/Republic-of-Ireland-Closure-Dates
    Balls and balls again.

Called Pure to ask if I would. Be able to use the old Zyxel router until the new one arrived.

First bad news - no is the answer. The old router isn't even compatible as it has the old phone sized I put socket rather than the rj45. Router needs to be WAN compatible.

Second bad news - the eejit who assured me earlier that DPD were working on good Friday and my router would definitely arrive, was talking out of his rear. DPD are not working tomorrow, router won't arrive until Tuesday. No Internet throughout the Easter weekend.

Glimmer of good news - Pure Telecom guy said that if I can get hold of a compatible router, I can use it until the Fritzbox arrives. I've sent out an SOS on Facebook to see if anyone has an old one around. Barring that I'm just going to go buy a cheap cheerful one in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Possibly not secure but you can connect a pc or laptop to the ONT with an ethernet cable and setup the connection in windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Balls and balls again.

The router needs VLAN tagging on WAN. That is not usually included in cheap routers. Best look on Adverts for used eir F2000 or similar.

AidenL wrote: »
    I think DPD deliver Good Friday, they just don’t do collections.

https://dpd.ie/About-DPD/The-Company/Key-Closure-Dates/Republic-of-Ireland-Closure-Dates

Well I've had 2 different stories from 2 different people at Pure Telecom. Both put me on hold to go confirm and then gave opposing answers.

Just bought a tp-link WR940N router, cost £30 and I'll just flog it on second hand afterwards. Supports VLAN tagging.

Just bought a tp-link WR940N router, cost £30 and I'll just flog it on second hand afterwards. Supports VLAN tagging.

On WAN? I can't see it in the specs.

On WAN? I can't see it in the specs.

Balls. Will find out shortly... I was in a hurry and believed the guy in Currys which is always a risk but he seemed to know what I was on about.

I'll be back to return it tomorrow if he was spoofing me.

Balls. Will find out shortly... I was in a hurry and believed the guy in Currys which is always a risk but he seemed to know what I was on about.

I'll be back to return it tomorrow if he was spoofing me.

LOL Currys! That's the best one I've heard in a while! Amazing!

LOL Currys! That's the best one I've heard in a while! Amazing!

I know, I know...

Only option at this hour of the day unfortunately. Apart from Argos and they're even worse.

I know, I know...

Only option at this hour of the day unfortunately. Apart from Argos and they're even worse.

I'd be very surprised to get VLAN tagging at that price point. That's why I suggested the used F2000. Though with a bank holiday weekend it might be awkward to arrange meetings with sellers.

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised to get VLAN tagging at that price point. That's why I suggested the used F2000. Though with a bank holiday weekend it might be awkward to arrange meetings with sellers.

Yeah it's not looking good. And I'm in Donegal, not exactly a hotbed for second hand market.

I might list off a few more shortly that are available in Currys or Argos in Derry which is my only market.

I'm just getting an orange light on this one instead of blue. And the WiFi just says "Internet not available".

Well I've had 2 different stories from 2 different people at Pure Telecom. Both put me on hold to go confirm and then gave opposing answers.

At least one of them is telling you the truth ðŸ˜

A friend has offered me a lend of a Belkin F5D8233. Any use?

A friend has offered me a lend of a Belkin F5D8233. Any use?

Unlikely. There have been very few confirmed routers working outside of the ISP provided ones. High end Asus and TP-Link, Ubiquiti, Microtik. They are not cheap though for a weekend's use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The WR940N doesn't even have Gbit ports. I mean did you even read the description or specifications ? It's only 100 Mbit/s on each port .. including the WAN port. And no, it certainly does not do Vlan tagging on the Wan port.

You'd need to be fairly far up in the Archer series to get anything that does what you need.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The WR940N doesn't even have Gbit ports. I mean did you even read the description or specifications ?

Unfortunately no, I didn't read the spec properly. I was in a hurry and took the word of the sales assistant who, unsurprisingly, was talking out of his arse.

Marlow wrote: »
    You'd need to be fairly far up in the Archer series to get anything that does what you need.

How far up? Currys and Argos etc have a variety of them, VR400, VR600, VR900 all the way up to VR2800. But I can't see from the spec whether they have the VLAN tagging requirement. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right thing.

For example:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/tp-link-archer-vr900-v2-wifi-modem-router-ac-1900-dual-band-10158005-pdt.html

Has Gbit ports, but no idea on the tagging question.

They are not cheap though for a weekend's use.
    I realise it's mental to talk about spending the guts of 100 quid on a router that I'm going to sell for a big loss 5 days later, but it's been a mental few weeks and we're both off for the weekend for the first time in months so we have a few days of Netflix binging planned (call me sad but that's life).

Unfortunately no, I didn't read the spec properly. I was in a hurry and took the word of the sales assistant who, unsurprisingly, was talking out of his arse.

How far up? Currys and Argos etc have a variety of them, VR400, VR600, VR900 all the way up to VR2800. But I can't see from the spec whether they have the VLAN tagging requirement. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right thing.

For example:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/tp-link-archer-vr900-v2-wifi-modem-router-ac-1900-dual-band-10158005-pdt.html

Has Gbit ports, but no idea on the tagging question.

I realise it's mental to talk about spending the guts of 100 quid on a router that I'm going to sell for a big loss 5 days later, but it's been a mental few weeks and we're both off for the weekend for the first time in months so we have a few days of Netflix binging planned (call me sad but that's life).

I think the VR are VDSL modem routers. They can do VLAN for the VDSL connection but I am unsure of whether it can do it on the Ethernet WAN which is what you need.

There is a firmware emulator here (click browse):

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/archer-vr900/#Emulators

I went to advanced > operation mode and set it as "Wireless Router Mode" but the page doesn't reload properly to see if the VLAN option is there. You'd be taking a chance buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Trust the DPD website. I’m in Donegal and having a delivery tomorrow.

AidenL wrote: »
    Trust the DPD website. I’m in Donegal and having a delivery tomorrow.

Excellent, thanks. Fingers crossed they manage it, I work in Derry during the day so I'll have to try to make contact to find out when they're coming.

• Advertisement

A TP-Link AC1750 would do the trick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement