Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cnocbui wrote: »
    A TP-Link AC1750 would do the trick.

It would be they are not cheap.
    €100 in PC World/Currys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

tuxy wrote: »
    It would be they are not cheap.
    €100 in PC World/Currys

If it definitely works, I'll grab one today. If the Fritzbox shows up too then I'll return it.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/tp-link-archer-c7-wireless-cable-router-ac-1750-dual-band-21472770-pdt.html

Available in Currys Derry, I've reserved one. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

DrPhilG wrote: »
    If it definitely works, I'll grab one today. If the Fritzbox shows up too then I'll return it.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/tp-link-archer-c7-wireless-cable-router-ac-1750-dual-band-21472770-pdt.html

Available in Currys Derry, I've reserved one. Thanks all.

Dpd are working
    Got a text that I'd be getting a delivery today
    Better to save yourself the effort and just wait on it. It'll be in before you have the loaner configured up

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Dpd are working
    Got a text that I'd be getting a delivery today
    Better to save yourself the effort and just wait on it. It'll be in before you have the loaner configured up

Yeah just off the phone to the local DPD depot. Its due for delivery today and they're going to call in advance so I can nip out of work and take delivery.

478110.jpg

Won't get it set up until tonight but at least its arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Fritzbox have released v7.10 for the German language versions of the 7590, 7580 and 7560 (among others).

Probably be a few weeks before the other language versions are released.

Downloads - https://ftp.avm.de/fritzbox/
    Release date: 15.04.2019
    ** New features: **

- Over 50 new features and enhancements: more power and comfort in Wi-Fi, Mesh and Smart Home
    - Seamlessly meshed: Wi-Fi Mesh Steering, Shared Phonebook and Smart Home
    - Well informed: Important information is easily and directly sent by e-mail to the e-mail address of your MyFRITZ! Account
    - News on the Internet: more information on DSL, faster LTE and advanced VPN features
    - Additional benefit for FRITZ! Fon: Easy access to WLAN guest access, direct phone numbers, and much more
    - Practical in operation: Quick overview of updates for FRITZ! Products, switchable LEDs
    - More support for new products: FRITZ! Repeater 3000 and Smart Home pushbutton FRITZ! DECT 400

Info - https://en.avm.de/products/fritzos/fritzos-710/

This is right beside the router, but still an impressive score on WiFi compared to my old system.

478164.jpg

I'll get the hard wired devices checked next.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Does it make any difference if the router is in the attic or downstairs? Getting fibre in next week and it would be easier to place in attic (if I can persuade the installer).

According to the xbox it's only getting 18mbps.

Any suggestions?

According to the xbox it's only getting 18mbps.

Any suggestions?

18 Megabytes is 144 Megabits.

• Advertisement

18 Megabytes is 144 Megabits.

I'm confused.

The xbox is connected direct to the router by a cat 6 cable, and is getting (currently) 15.53 mbps while my phone is getting 37mbps on WiFi. That doesn't make sense.

Also the phone has a ping of 16ms, the Xbox is 36ms.

I'm confused.

The xbox is connected direct to the router by a cat 6 cable, and is getting (currently) 15.53 mbps while my phone is getting 37mbps on WiFi. That doesn't make sense.

Also the phone has a ping of 16ms, the Xbox is 36ms.

What speed test are you using on the xbox? The default one measures in megabytes not megabits. Multiply the number by 8 to get your speed in bits.

That's why I was saying 18 Mbs = 144 mps which would be max real world speed for the 150 package.

What speed test are you using on the xbox? The default one measures in megabytes not megabits. Multiply the number by 8 to get your speed in bits.

That's why I was saying 18 Mbs = 144 mps which would be max real world speed for the 150 package.

Ah now I understand.

Can't be that though, did another check and got 39 which would be over 300 and I'm only on a 150 package.

I'm going into the network settings and viewing "detailed network statistics"

Also 36ms latency isn't good for a wired connection, especially when the phone is getting 15 on WiFi.

I just looked it up and the test should be in Megabits
    Downloading a large free to play game or demo may give you a better idea of the speed. Also I don't have xbox but have a playstation and find the PSN server much slower than steam game servers on PC.

It days Mbps with a capital M.

But like I say, if you're right and it's Bytes not Bits, then my 39Mbps doesn't make sense as that's way above my package. And the upload is a steady 28Mbps which is about the same as I'm getting on the phone speed test everywhere.

I'll try downloading something now. I've actually just connected by WiFi and getting 28Mbps down and the same up.

Yeah sorry my mistake it's actually capital B for megabytes so it would be MB vs Mb

Even on the 150 package which is the slowest FTTH you will find many services that can't provide to it at full speed.

I'll plug the laptop into the same cable in a sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

On a 5Ghz Wifi connection and using the Edge browser on my Xbox One X, I get a ping of 32ms to a server in London and a download speed of 42.73 Mbps and upload of 29.66 Mbps. That's using speedof.me

I intermittently get faster speeds downloading game updates, but it's rarely over 75 Mbps.

Ethernet cable may not be up to spec. Lots aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Make sure you have a static ip for the Xbox as well so your Nat is open.
    Iam with 3 sim in the router job and can’t get a static ip to work

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ethernet cable may not be up to spec. Lots aren't.

It's a fairly new cable, bought on amazon based on good reviews.

Some more tests.

Connected the laptop and my phone via WiFi and placed both beside the Xbox, so all 3 are on WiFi.

Wifi:
    Xbox - 25 down, 28 up, 36 ping
    Laptop - 33 down, 31 up, 26 ping
    Phone - 59 down, 18 up, 15 ping

Via ethernet:
    Xbox - 36 down, 28 up, 35 ping
    Laptop - 2 down, 3 up, 28 ping

Wtf?

PS it's a 25m cat6 cable. Running from the router to the living room via wall duct.

Very strange is the connection speed to the router 1 Gbp like this screenshot?

0a59399f0533b8eca27eaf626e7f0fef.png

Very strange is the connection speed to the router 1 Gbp like this screenshot?

On WiFi its bouncing between 90 and 120 Mbps.

On the ethernet connection its 100Mbps.

It's a fairly new cable, bought on amazon based on good reviews.

The vast majority of ethernet cables don't measure to spec, irrespective of age. I posted a link earlier in the thread to a shop that tested their stock and most cat-6 cables didn't even meet cat-5 standards.

On WiFi its bouncing between 90 and 120 Mbps.

On the ethernet connection its 100Mbps.

Is it a gigabit ethernet port on your laptop?
    It should be 1 Gps, anything lower would indicate a fault with the cable!
    Move the laptop closer to the router and test with one of the cables that came with the router.

The confusion continues...

I just reset the ethernet port on the laptop (Google suggestion) and the speed jumped from 2-3 up and down, to 33 up, 31 down.

Is it a gigabit ethernet port on your laptop?
    It should be 1 Gps, anything lower would indicate a fault with the cable!
    Move the laptop closer to the router and test with one of the cables that came with the router.

I don't know, but it's a crappy old laptop. How do I check?

I'll climb the attic later and check with a different cable. Wife will kill me if I don't stop troubleshooting soon.

I hope it's not the bloody cable, took me an age to pull it through the duct in the wall. :(

I guess the best way to check would be get the name of the NIC from device manager and google details about it.

A dodgy cable is the most likely cause with the symptoms you have, if it's not properly shielded that would case transfer speeds to be unstable.

Didn't a short cable come with the router?

• Advertisement

Didn't a short cable come with the router?

It did. But the router is in the attic and I'll be shot if I down tools and go off troubleshooting tonight, lol.

I'll check in the morning with the short cable, and with a spare 30m cat6 that I have around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement