Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Elaborate Pegasus please?
    For example for me, when tomorrow arrives FTTH will be available as from Airwire, so does it change from available 8-5 to available automatically or do they wait for the next database figures next week before I can order?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Why didn't you wait till tomorrow when a lot of places become available..or meant to be?

Prequal files are released on Tuesdays.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Prequal files are released on Tuesdays.
    So does this mean that come next tuesday I can order FTTH OB?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So does this mean that come next tuesday I can order FTTH OB?

If your RFO date is May 8th, you can order tomorrow. Airwire are updating their availability checker tool, which has no bearing on their ability to place orders.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Why didn't you wait till tomorrow when a lot of places become available..or meant to be?

As others have pointed out, that is not how it works. The premises that go live tomorrow are already in the database. With a launch date of tomorrow.

Our update adds premises that were not listed before. At all. And these updates come every Tuesday from OpenEir.

The update can also change the RFO (Ready-for-Order) date for some premises, if there are delays.
    limktime wrote: »
    Hi Martin,

any chance you'd check my PMs?

I will indeed, once I have a solid update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Gboyd

Hey all,

After a couple of years of following this thread it looks like the end might be in sight.

The fibre has been run along all the poles and the black DP boxes with the yellow sticks on several poles through the village.

KN guys vanished for around a month afterwards and yesterday I spotted the van back and went and spoke to a couple of really helpful chaps. They we splicing the cable in the back of the van (there was 3 plastic covered pipes coming out the ground into a clamp in the van) and they told me they had 32 points to splice from my village back to the main fibre link and they would be finished by next Wednesday.

They then told me quite confidently that I'd be able to place my order the following Tuesday.

From user experience and those informed does that sound at all feasible?

I must admit from starting to think it would never happen to 6 weeks from first seeing them cutting the trees to potentially being able to order I'm pretty impressed! Although I'll refrain from getting too upbeat until I've actual got it installed and my DP is live ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gboyd wrote: »
    Hey all,

After a couple of years of following this thread it looks like the end might be in sight.

The fibre has been run along all the poles and the black DP boxes with the yellow sticks on several poles through the village.

KN guys vanished for around a month afterwards and yesterday I spotted the van back and went and spoke to a couple of really helpful chaps. They we splicing the cable in the back of the van (there was 3 plastic covered pipes coming out the ground into a clamp in the van) and they told me they had 32 points to splice from my village back to the main fibre link and they would be finished by next Wednesday.

They then told me quite confidently that I'd be able to place my order the following Tuesday.

From user experience and those informed does that sound at all feasible?

I must admit from starting to think it would never happen to 6 weeks from first seeing them cutting the trees to potentially being able to order I'm pretty impressed! Although I'll refrain from getting too upbeat until I've actual got it installed and my DP is live ðŸ˜

It would be unusual that it would be available to order so soon after work taking place. I guess you'll find out in two weeks.

It would be unusual that it would be available to order so soon after work taking place. I guess you'll find out in two weeks.
    Navi we had splice boxes installed in the ducts 2 weeks ago and its available from today, finding out if Airwire does FTTH in kilkenny,.. if not have to waut till data is updated elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Got FTTH installed today. The router is coming from Airwire tomorrow. Do they have to activate the line from their side as I tried plugging a Laptop into the ONT and the PC says "no connection" ?
    Thanks

nanook5 wrote: »
    Got FTTH installed today. The router is coming from Airwire tomorrow. Do they have to activate the line from their side as I tried plugging a Laptop into the ONT and the PC says "no connection" ?
    Thanks

You need to set VLAN 10 on your network adapter and set up PPPoE I think for Airwire. Not all adapters support setting VLAN though.

• Advertisement

You need to set VLAN 10 on your network adapter and set up PPPoE I think for Airwire. Not all adapters support setting VLAN though.

Ah yes, thanks Navi. Just searched the thread and PPPoE credentials are needed however so I'll just wait until the router comes tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

What's the typical timeline for FTTH being available from the time ducting has been installed nearby?

nanook5 wrote: »

Hi,
    you will need the PPPoE credentials (which our Support can hand out to you) and tag the connection with Vlan 10. It's not straight forward with a laptop.

It sounds like you're the one lucky person, that got ready for order and installation done and dusted on the same day. We literally never have seen that happening before. It usually takes 4 workdays from when we place the order, until OpenEIR/KN install. Normally the router would arrive a day or two before the installation.

The router will be preconfigured. All you need to do is plug the cable from the ONT into LAN1 of the Fritz!Box. Everything will be pre-configured.

Be aware, that the WiFi key is the long string of digits on the router. Not the password (which is for configuring your router).

What's the typical timeline for FTTH being available from the time ducting has been installed nearby?

Typically 1-2 months. If there are complications, it will take longer.

Hi,
    you will need the PPPoE credentials (which our Support can hand out to you) and tag the connection with Vlan 10. It's not straight forward with a laptop.

It sounds like you're the one lucky person, that got ready for order and installation done and dusted on the same day. We literally never have seen that happening before. It usually takes 4 workdays from when we place the order, until OpenEIR/KN install. Normally the router would arrive a day or two before the installation.

The router will be preconfigured. All you need to do is plug the cable from the ONT into LAN1 of the Fritz!Box. Everything will be pre-configured.

Be aware, that the WiFi key is the long string of digits on the router. Not the password (which is for configuring your router).

Perfect! Thanks Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

What are the chances of using the existing copper line to pull the fibre line through ducting? Don't see us requiring this when we get the fibre.

Have been doing a bit of digging and investigating and it appears there is a blockage in the duct, seems to be just under the tarmac driveway so don't want to start digging that up if can be helped. The copper line can be pulled easily, just not enough room to pass the cobra reel through to put in a draw string.

There is also a blockage in the hockey stick entering the house so plan in running a new piece of ducting up beside a downpipe into the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

THE ALM wrote: »
    What are the chances of using the existing copper line to pull the fibre line through ducting? Don't see us requiring this when we get the fibre.

Have been doing a bit of digging and investigating and it appears there is a blockage in the duct, seems to be just under the tarmac driveway so don't want to start digging that up if can be helped. The copper line can be pulled easily, just not enough room to pass the cobra reel through to put in a draw string.

There is also a blockage in the hockey stick entering the house so plan in running a new piece of ducting up beside a downpipe into the attic.

Hi,
    KN can not touch the copper line. But you could in theory replace it with a pull rope at your own.

The attic is a no go. KN are not allowed to enter or work in the attic. It's a health and safety issue. If you install a duct in the attic from where the fibre enters the premise and where you want it to go in the house, then install a pull rope, they will use that.

/M

The risk is that the fibre gets stuck as you try to pull it through leaving you with no fibre or copper. I don't think an installer will go for it to be honest. You could try pulling rope through with the copper if you want to risk it yourself though technically it's not your cable and you could have issues with tampering.

Marlow wrote: »
    Hi,
    KN can not touch the copper line. But you could in theory replace it with a pull rope at your own.

The attic is a no go. KN are not allowed to enter or work in the attic. It's a health and safety issue. If you install a duct in the attic from where the fibre enters the premise and where you want it to go in the house, then install a pull rope, they will use that.

/M

Thanks Marlow, no problem with the attic as I do intend putting a pull rope there to bring the fibre back down to the utility room, is a bungalow so access is good and I could feed it up and down to the engineer easily enough.

Just looking at cobra reels and it appears they come in different diameters, the one I hired looked to be the 14mm one I would say, maybe the narrower 4.5mm would do the job for me. Do the engineers have different diameter reels with them on the job?

Thanks Marlow, no problem with the attic as I do intend putting a pull rope there to bring the fibre back down to the utility room, is a bungalow so access is good and I could feed it up and down to the engineer easily enough.

Just looking at cobra reels and it appears they come in different diameters, the one I hired looked to be the 14mm one I would say, maybe the narrower 4.5mm would do the job for me. Do the engineers have different diameter reels with them on the job?

No. One reel I believe. Probably 8 or 10mm.

• Advertisement

The risk is that the fibre gets stuck as you try to pull it through leaving you with no fibre or copper. I don't think an installer will go for it to be honest. You could try pulling rope through with the copper if you want to risk it yourself though technically it's not your cable and you could have issues with tampering.

That is my slight worry as well. I have cut the ducting closer to the house before I get to the blockage on the hockey stick (entering the house side) and the copper cable slack will pull freely from the pole to where I have split the ducting, approx. 50m away.

From the split in the ducting I can run the reel towards the pole before it hits a blockage, it I really push the reel in will jam as if the ducting pipe has been crushed slightly and will take a pit of pulling to free it. Pushing the reel towards the house just hits a blockage and as it it only 6-7m I will just put in a bit of new ducting. (The house was pumped with closed cell foam, which goes in as liquid, and I fear it may have run down the hockey stick internally causing the blockage.)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

They carry 60m 4.5mm reel
    Civils carry 120m 13mm reel
    You won't get a 13mm to bend easily it's really used for trying to push past silt in a long duct

• Registered Users Posts: 36,115 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How hard is the switch from Eir to Digiweb if one already has FTTH with Eir. Is it seamless as nothing needs to be installed, except plug out the Eir modem and plug in the Digiweb modem.?

babi-hrse wrote: »
    They carry 60m 4.5mm reel
    Civils carry 120m 13mm reel
    You won't get a 13mm to bend easily it's really used for trying to push past silt in a long duct

Thanks.

The 60m would probably do the length of the duct. Might see if one of the local hire depots have one before I get to ordering the fibre which is available from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

How hard is the switch from Eir to Digiweb if one already has FTTH with Eir. Is it seamless as nothing needs to be installed, except plug out the Eir modem and plug in the Digiweb modem.?

Did you get a cost for getting the new provider?

I am wondering about the 'install' cost when changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

You would need your UAN number from current provider and give to your new provider so they know that you have service on such and such a port and to migrate over.

Install costs was discussed earlier in thread you still get charged unless the provider wants to absorb it. Think there was concerns of poaching customers. (Getting one provider to put line in and changing to another for service leaving the former holding the bill)
    I may need correcting on this but that was what I took away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

babi-hrse wrote: »
    You would need your UAN number from current provider and give to your new provider so they know that you have service on such and such a port and to migrate over.

Install costs was discussed earlier in thread you still get charged unless the provider wants to absorb it. Think there was concerns of poaching customers. (Getting one provider to put line in and changing to another for service leaving the former holding the bill)
    I may need correcting on this but that was what I took away from it.

I have not seen a post from someone who changed from one provider to another stating the cost, which is why I asked.

There is speculation and from reading the new regs that each time you change provider you could be charged €100 install charge.

That would really hit customer choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So the old cost to the providers was €270 for install and some tiny cost for a switch.
    Now it's €170 for a new install and also the same cost for a switch.

I think Airwire are the only company that are totally clear on the cost to the customer for a switch. €100 for 6/12 month contract and free for 18 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's seamless with very little disruption, if you change using the UAN.

I have not seen a post from someone who changed from one provider to another stating the cost, which is why I asked.

There is speculation and from reading the new regs that each time you change provider you could be charged €100 install charge.

That would really hit customer choice.
    tuxy wrote: »
    So the old cost to the providers was €270 for install and some tiny cost for a switch.
    Now it's €170 for a new install and also the same cost for a switch.

I think Airwire are the only company that are totally clear on the cost to the customer for a switch. €100 for 6/12 month contract and free for 18 month contract.

It used to be 270 EUR installation + 2.50 EUR activation for a new installlation .. plus VAT .. to the provider.

It used to 2.50 EUR activation for a change over or electronic enablement. Again + VAT.

It now is 170 EUR activation, zero installation + VAT .. disregardless if it is a new install, an electronic enablement or a provider change. That is cost to the provider.

As for retail .. some providers split it up into installation and activation fee (Eir does and charges both on a new installation, but only the activation fee on changes) and other providers just call it an installation and charge that fee across the board, no activation fee involved (like Airwire).

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

It should be straight forward but with Eir notting easy can't wait to leave them and go with Airwire.Eir a nightmare company to deal with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement