Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,115 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

rob808 wrote: »
    It should be straight forward but with Eir notting easy can't wait to leave them and go with Airwire.Eir a nightmare company to deal with.

Yea don't I know. Had a guy on chat on Eir site the other day questioning a bill and his attitude stunk. He actually said I'm going to make your bill higher, I'm going to add charges to it.
    I'm on 55.00 a month set charge, got a bill for 143.00. Back in Jan I got a bill for 236.00 and on Eir chat in Jan it was sorted pretty fast, but this guy was having none of it. Said in the end he'll add that 236 from Jan on next bill, and won't change the 143.00 to the 55.00

If I could switch seamlessly to digiweb I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Yea don't I know. Had a guy on chat on Eir site the other day questioning a bill and his attitude stunk. He actually said I'm going to make your bill higher, I'm going to add charges to it.
    I'm on 55.00 a month set charge, got a bill for 143.00. Back in Jan I got a bill for 236.00 and on Eir chat in Jan it was sorted pretty fast, but this guy was having none of it. Said in the end he'll add that 236 from Jan on next bill, and won't change the 143.00 to the 55.00

If I could switch seamlessly to digiweb I would.
    well you can when your contract up just give Eir 30 day notice before your contract up by either letter or phone.Im going to do both and record everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Was chatting to a neighbour over the weekend and I knew her husband does a lot of conferences via Skype, or other, from home and I had asked if they had fiber installed. They said no, couldn't get fiber as it wasn't available yet. They have satellite installed (tooway I think). When I said we got fiber installed last November they didn't even realise it was available. Their house is on the roll out. Media/politicians go on about poor take up when there are many cases like this, where people are just unaware its available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

chris_ie wrote: »
    Was chatting to a neighbour over the weekend and I knew her husband does a lot of conferences via Skype, or other, from home and I had asked if they had fiber installed. They said no, couldn't get fiber as it wasn't available yet. They have satellite installed (tooway I think). When I said we got fiber installed last November they didn't even realise it was available. Their house is on the roll out. Media/politicians go on about poor take up when there are many cases like this, where people are just unaware its available.

Yep. Next to no promotion by many ISPs. They all have a list of Eircodes. A targeted mailing perhaps or would that be seen as spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

So I had kn out this morning to look at installing - couldn't go ahead too many trees on the neighbours property where the line runs through to another neighbours with a bunch of trees also. Openeir have to send somebody out to assess the next steps. It will be either pole accross the road to feed through to me or road cut to the ducting other side of road - the waiting begins.

• Advertisement

Yep. Next to no promotion by many ISPs. They all have a list of Eircodes. A targeted mailing perhaps or would that be seen as spam.

I'm sure many people wouldn't be too angry and something like that coming through the post. But I suppose its down to the ISPs and if they all did it, then it may be too much. Ideally it would be open eir, just a simple notification leaflet sent out to the eircodes saying Fiber broadband is available, but as OpenEir aren't selling the service themselves they have no interest, which is understandable.

I think that fact the fiber has been advertised for a long time not, when its not FTTH, and the fact that people are used to seeing ads/posters/leaflets when they have previously tried and can't avail of the advertised speeds, they just don't bother checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ideally it would be open eir, just a simple notification leaflet sent out to the eircodes saying Fiber broadband is available, but as OpenEir aren't selling the service themselves they have no interest, which is understandable.

OpenEIR is not in a position to do advertising on behalf of their partners.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Marlow wrote: »

/M

Surely OpenEir, ie. Eir would fully be if it from a flyer going out to newly FTTH passable premises, The way around is for each ISP to chip in a percentage of the cost of the flyer.. thereby negating cost to OpenEir..
    I also contacted a friend who was waiting for FTTH and he thought he wasn’t able to get it, till I showed him

/M

Why not though? A leaflet with all participating ISPs included on it seems sensible. A few lines explaining it's an open access network and that the customer can order from any of the suppliers.

/M

Yeah, that's why I mentioned as they weren't selling the service they'd wouldn't do it. I said 'ideally' it would be them as they do the roll out, single point to handle notification of public, but the aforementioned obviously means its not possible. I would hope it would go better with the NBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Our road is supposed to be done as part of the eir 300k rollout although nothing has happened since KN ran ducting last Nov. Most people I've spoken to aren't even aware that its supposed to be installed. Now Imagine have put up posters indicating their services are available. People will assume this is what they need as no information about fibre had been provided.

I passed a pole recently with a FTTH distribution point on it. Below the DP on the pole was an Imagine poster advertising their service. Which one will the general public notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

/M

They could, and possibly should, advertise the availability of their infrastructure as it becomes available, to the general public, in the various areas.

That would generate more interest, as well as informing people, and thus generate more connections to the network, and benefit Openeir directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Lot of people only take it up when they have a fault with the copper line they get told there's ftth to the home from that pole there why don't you get that it'll be faster cause they're sick of fixing an old copper line that keeps breaking down. It's win win for the tech and for the customer. They always say they didn't know or weren't told and that they heard fibre this or that was available but they are too used to everything ADSL and VDSL being called fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wally82

Had install scheduled for today but got a text yesterday from ISP saying technician advised them my install couldn't be completed due to a technical issue. Rang ISP and they seemed surprised that tech said install couldn't be completed a day before it was supposed to happen. They are looking in to it and will get back to me. Is this common enough, that kn or openeir cancel claiming technical issues before going to site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

So Eir have their 'Ultra Broadband 1000Mb' which is meant to have no cap unlike their previous 'Fibre Extreme 1000Mb' product (but their FUP applies)

Is there any other provider what provider a 1000Mb package with no cap? Just had 'fun' on the phone with Eir, want to move my custom now

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kd82

Wally82 wrote: »
    Is this common enough, that kn or openeir cancel claiming technical issues before going to site?

We had an issue when they came out to install but not beforehand. The duct up to the pole was blocked. Someone came out last week with a digger, cleared the duct and has it ready hopefully. Our second install is scheduled for tomorrow morning so we'll see.

Wonder how long I will have to wait for Openeir to send somebody out to assess the work needed to be done -(kn couldn't install yesterday because old POTS line runs through private property with lots of trees).
    kn guy said it will either be a new pole erected across the road or a road cut to get access to duct other side of road. I've heard people on here mentioning months! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Wally82 wrote: »
    Had install scheduled for today but got a text yesterday from ISP saying technician advised them my install couldn't be completed due to a technical issue. Rang ISP and they seemed surprised that tech said install couldn't be completed a day before it was supposed to happen. They are looking in to it and will get back to me. Is this common enough, that kn or openeir cancel claiming technical issues before going to site?
    Openeir has delayed my connection for a week. so Airwire told me last week a day after ordering from them a mistake by openeir on the available time and on the 8th an eir van was in the estate...the rep came to my door heard the dogs and ran..:D...fingers crossed I will get word soon this week

Edit Airwire just this minute confirmed Friday Morning...!! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wally82

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Openeir has delayed my connection for a week. so Airwire told me last week a day after ordering them a mistake by openeir on the available time and on the 8th an eir van was in the estate...the rep came to my door heard the dogs and ran..:D...fingers crossed I will get word soon this week

I figure it's the same with me. Openeir jumped the gun on the rfo date. Annoying as I had rearranged stuff at work to be home today for the install

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    So Eir have their 'Ultra Broadband 1000Mb' which is meant to have no cap unlike their previous 'Fibre Extreme 1000Mb' product (but their FUP applies)

Is there any other provider what provider a 1000Mb package with no cap? Just had 'fun' on the phone with Eir, want to move my custom now

Might Airwire might be the way to go? Any feedback on their service (ignoring installation)?

Might Airwire might be the way to go? Any feedback on their service (ignoring installation)?

Went with Airwire myself. Fantastic so far. No issues, quick install, fast replies to any emails and active on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Everything about dealing with Airwire has been good in my experience. Connection has been pretty much rock solid and customer service has been great, any queries I've had were dealt with quickly and followup calls made a few days later to ensure everything was ok. No difficulties recommending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm on 150 Mbps with Eir and have what they term 'unlimited'. There is no cap, but they might throttle, going by what happened to someone trying more than 1TB a day. I think someone said the wholesale cost for data was something like €7 a TB, so I doubt any provider is going to tolerate an uneconomic customer for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 guyinkk

turbbo wrote: »
    Wonder how long I will have to wait for Openeir to send somebody out to assess the work needed to be done -(kn couldn't install yesterday because old POTS line runs through private property with lots of trees).
    kn guy said it will either be a new pole erected across the road or a road cut to get access to duct other side of road. I've heard people on here mentioning months! :(

I'd say there a lot of factors that determine how quickly they fix a problem for you. I am now in week 13 waiting for OpenEir to fix a no light at DP issue for me.
    I have given up pestering Airwire about this as it seems they are not in a position to do anything except raise tickets with OpenEir only to see nothing happen. Last time I spoke to Martin from Airwire he said that OE had discussed with him the fact that the DP outside my house services just my property. So there is no urgency it seems to send an engineer out to my property, as I'm assuming they're flat out elsewhere with the rollout.

The wait is killing me. I (very) foolishly cancelled my imagine contract when I got an install date leaving a few weeks of overlap in case they needed to fix any issues. Little did I ever think it would take this long. Imagine are now looking from the end of this month for me to go back on contract with them :-(.

guyinkk wrote: »
    I'd say there a lot of factors that determine how quickly they fix a problem for you. I am now in week 13 waiting for OpenEir to fix a no light at DP issue for me.
    I have given up pestering Airwire about this as it seems they are not in a position to do anything except raise tickets with OpenEir only to see nothing happen. Last time I spoke to Martin from Airwire he said that OE had discussed with him the fact that the DP outside my house services just my property. So there is no urgency it seems to send an engineer out to my property, as I'm assuming they're flat out elsewhere with the rollout.

The wait is killing me. I (very) foolishly cancelled my imagine contract when I got an install date leaving a few weeks of overlap in case they needed to fix any issues. Little did I ever think it would take this long. Imagine are now looking from the end of this month for me to go back on contract with them :-(.

Yeah - I'd assume most of the FTTH installs aren't straight forward it's the turnaround of issues I'd be interested in knowing. Your issue and mine are squarely with OE but hearing their lack of interest really is off putting. 13 weeks is totally unreasonable - do you cancel install with Airwire and get your money back?

Yeah - I'd assume most of the FTTH installs aren't straight forward it's the turnaround of issues I'd be interested in knowing. Your issue and mine are squarely with OE but hearing their lack of interest really is off putting.

If there is road opening involved I'd be fearful for you. The pole option should be quicker.

If there is road opening involved I'd be fearful for you. The pole option should be quicker.

Yeah narrow back road though it would be done in 30 mins with a digger.

Went with Airwire myself. Fantastic so far. No issues, quick install, fast replies to any emails and active on here.
    Everything about dealing with Airwire has been good in my experience. Connection has been pretty much rock solid and customer service has been great, any queries I've had were dealt with quickly and followup calls made a few days later to ensure everything was ok. No difficulties recommending them.
    Thanks for the feedback folks! Just noticed that I would loose basic phone if I went with the basic packages with Airwire. Ummm, it is an addon though
    cnocbui wrote: »
    I'm on 150 Mbps with Eir and have what they term 'unlimited'. There is no cap, but they might throttle, going by what happened to someone trying more than 1TB a day. I think someone said the wholesale cost for data was something like €7 a TB, so I doubt any provider is going to tolerate an uneconomic customer for long.
    I think you would have joined Eir after they removed the cap and renamed their FTTH product. I was on the initial package which had the 1TB and then a charge per GB after that. I've gone over by 0.2TB before and got a chunk of a add on to the bill - don't use/abuse but don't want to have to artificially have to limit traffic and watch the stats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 guyinkk

Yeah - I'd assume most of the FTTH installs aren't straight forward it's the turnaround of issues I'd be interested in knowing. Your issue and mine are squarely with OE but hearing their lack of interest really is off putting. 13 weeks is totally unreasonable - do you cancel install with Airwire and get your money back?

Honestly I would like to try to hang on and give my business to Airwire if possible due to the reports from happy customers in this forum. I'm considering as a stop gap of buying an LTE modem and using prepaid 3 if Imagine are not interested in extending me for another month. I'm not even certain if this will work or not.

I did consider cancelling, but I don't believe it will solve any issue for me. If you search for my eircode in any of the online databases they tell you my house is green and ready for fibre. OE doesn't seem to care now and it seems that the way it is structured currently I have nowhere to turn to. I can't complain to comreg as I have no contract with Airwire, so I play the waiting game.

Let it be a lesson to all reading this, fixes are carried out at the pleasure of OpenEir before you have a contract with a retail supplier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement