Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The Cush wrote: »
    Anyone on less than 30Mbps will be in the NBP, any town with more than 1,000 premises will be fibred under the IFN rollout. Some of the premises will fall under both projects.

Don't know what will happen those that fall outside both of those areas, outside the NBP intervention with greater than 30Mbps and less than 1,000 premises, my local village for example?

They'll likely be left until the IFN finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

Is that at the pole GAA posted? They hardly had to replace 5km of cable though.

480826.jpeg

Only replaced cable between two Dp boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Where these poles are located was part of the R498 before 1993/4. They dug down and realigned this part from Fishmoyne into Bouladuff(The Ragg) back in 1992/1993 and these poles ended up on “private” property. I don’t know the legality of this but to that pole was once a public roadway. Either the council have abandoned this (as they have in other parts nearby Ballypatrick or they still technically have a claim to this land. I hope eircom are going to bill the insurance of the farmer that caused this damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

No it wouldn't be a continuous 5km stretch it would be jointed in every dp and splitter box if damaged only the points between them would need replacing.
    I'd say they just said that could be many breaks or a lad with an otdr would be measuring the reflections to see if there's any bad kinks

babi-hrse wrote: »
    No it wouldn't be a continuous 5km stretch it would be jointed in every dp and splitter box if damaged only the points between them would need replacing.
    I'd say they just said that could be many breaks or a lad with an otdr would be measuring the reflections to see if there's any bad kinks

To be fair he spoke with a Dublin accent and he was reading back the technician notes and advice sought from his manager. He has probably never seen a rural DP nor knows how many DP’ are affixed to poles here and can only go on what he sees on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

They'll likely be left until the IFN finishes.

That's rough on them, if they have to wait that long. Many of them probably on just 30 mb/s and a fibre optic cable already on the road outside their door.

Surely it would be tempting low hanging fruit for OpenEir to pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Poulgorm wrote: »
    That's rough on them, if they have to wait that long. Many of them probably on just 30 mb/s and a fibre optic cable already on the road outside their door.

Surely it would be tempting low hanging fruit for OpenEir to pick up?

Tough on them alright, the surrounding countryside could have up to 1Gb connection available under the NBP while the village or small town at the centre will be stuck on up to 100 Mbps copper.

Maybe if the fibre cable is passing outside it might be done but running fibre along streets and into estates is unlikely with €500m being directed into the IFN rollout over the next 5 years or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Tough on them alright, the surrounding countryside could have up to 1Gb connection available under the NBP while the village or small town at the centre will be stuck on up to 100 Mbps copper.

Maybe if the fibre cable is passing outside it might be done but running fibre along streets and into estates is unlikely with €500m being directed into the IFN rollout over the next 5 years or so.

I live in Dublin 4, and I have fibre outside my house, but have FTTC with 50 mbs service. I have no idea when I might get FTTH. It is not just rural premises that are stuck on FTTC. Fortunately, I am quite close to the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

I live in Dublin 4, and I have fibre outside my house, but have FTTC with 50 mbs service. I have no idea when I might get FTTH. It is not just rural premises that are stuck on FTTC. Fortunately, I am quite close to the cabinet.

Aren't there already plans by Eir to rollout 10gb fibre in those areas. The only reason they didn't cover urban areas first is because of the massive drop off in customers in ruralish areas hence the 300k rollout and also to pick off the low lying fruit before the NBP got going.
    I'm on the 300k and live just outside Limerick city I got my phoneline disconnected 5 years ago as my adsl maxed out at 2.5mbs to this day that is the max on a wired connection I can get. Also a lot of urban areas already have their choice of infrastructure - virgin - siro or openeir. That will more than likely NEVER happen in rural areas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

turbbo wrote: »
    Aren't there already plans by Eir to rollout 10gb fibre in those areas. The only reason they didn't cover urban areas first is because of the massive drop off in customers in ruralish areas hence the 300k rollout and also to pick off the low lying fruit before the NBP got going.
    I'm on the 300k and live just outside Limerick city I got my phoneline disconnected 5 years ago as my adsl maxed out at 2.5mbs to this day that is the max on a wired connection I can get. Also a lot of urban areas already have their choice of infrastructure - virgin - siro or openeir. That will more than likely NEVER happen in rural areas.

Well, I got FTTC some years ago when Eir rolled out their green cabs in Dublin, but it was a year from when the cab arrived and I was connected, and I was the first subscriber in the box. Since then, they have repaired the ducting and ran fibre outside my house. (Now I know this because I talked to the techies doing the install).

It would be easy to give me fibre, (it is actually on the pole just outside my house), but there is no plan as far as I can see. Is there anyway I can shake the tree and dislodge a bit of low hanging fruit?

• Advertisement

Is there anyway I can shake the tree and dislodge a bit of low hanging fruit?

Big difference between 50mb and 2.5mb or most cases 0mbs. I'd be happy on 50mbs for the next 10 years. I will be signing up for 150 when I eventually get connected as it's the cheapest and possibly more than enough for me.
    Give you another few years it will be 10gb FTTH for you - not sure it will be needed. However that's where it's going.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-ftth-broadband-roll-out

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

I had a FTTH install last week. There was no light at the pole.
    The LOS light was red.

Today the LOS light has extinguished, the PON light is flashing green.
    I have reset the ONT and power cycled it.
    Still no internet.

Is this normal or do I need to contact my provider?
    Will it just start to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

manshay wrote: »

Most certainly contact your provider.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Big difference between 50mb and 2.5mb or most cases 0mbs. I'd be happy on 50mbs for the next 10 years. I will be signing up for 150 when I eventually get connected as it's the cheapest and possibly more than enough for me.
    Give you another few years it will be 10gb FTTH for you - not sure it will be needed. However that's where it's going.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-ftth-broadband-roll-out

Eir's Urban FTTH rollout will more than likely be exactly the same as the rural one. Speeds of up to 1000 meg. They are saying 10gigs capable, as in it's future proofed just like the rural FTTH. FTTH with speeds of more than 1000meg will probably not happen till well past 2020, more like after 2025.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eir's Urban FTTH rollout will more than likely be exactly the same as the rural one. Speeds of up to 1000 meg. They are saying 10gigs capable, as in it's future proofed just like the rural FTTH. FTTH with speeds of more than 1000meg will probably not happen till well past 2020, more like after 2025.

The upload will likely be significantly better as they will have 10Gb/s to share over whatever split ratio they use. Maybe we'll see symmetric products offered.

The upload will likely be significantly better as they will have 10Gb/s to share over whatever split ratio they use. Maybe we'll see symmetric products offered.

Not really. Politically that would be a bad move for them, as it eats into their NGN business. It's the big difference between them and SIRO. SIRO doesn't have that "baggage".

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Not really. Politically that would be a bad move for them, as it eats into their NGN business. It's the big difference between them and SIRO. SIRO doesn't have that "baggage".

/M

I think they'll want a differentiator with SIRO so I expect they'll beat SIRO's upload at least. 500Mb/s upload on top package as a minimum IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

manshay wrote: »
    I had a FTTH install last week. There was no light at the pole.
    The LOS light was red.

Today the LOS light has extinguished, the PON light is flashing green.
    I have reset the ONT and power cycled it.
    Still no internet.

Try contact kn and explain they should have the serial number on ont and 8882 number and should be able to activate it

Gonzo wrote: »

Not sure what the need for 10gb would be but however I guess what I'm saying is be happy with 50mb fttc, it ain't that bad. Plus you can look forward to ftth it is coming from a selection of providers if you live in D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Not sure what the need for 10gb would be

In densely populated areas it would allow a larger number of connections per fibre I assume, the current ratio is 1:32 on a 2.4 Gb fibre assuming they maintain the existing packages.

• Advertisement

In densely populated areas it would allow a larger number of connections per fibre I assume, the current ratio is 1:32 on a 2.4 Gb fibre assuming they maintain the existing packages.

That benefits the provider - but my question was why would you need 10gb as a domestic customer. I'm struggling to see a usecase.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That benefits the provider - but my question was why would you need 10gb as a domestic customer. I'm struggling to see a usecase.

I don't think they will be offering 10gb to the domestic customer, not for many years to come anyway. By the time this urban rollout actually happens, the rural FTTH will propably be upgraded to the same standard. Eir's FTTH can easily be upgraded to that standard, but I guess only business's would need more than 1 gig internet, and then only some of them.

I don't think FTTH speeds greater than 1 gig will really become common for domestic customers till after 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nobody needs 10 GB/s. If the technology allows for it then it makes some sense to use it for future proofing but there isn't a domestic need for such speed at present and the wholesale cost of data would need to fall 90%.

To put it in perspective, the state of the art seems to be the Pacific light cable between Hong Kong and Los Angeles, at 144,000 Gbps which is planned. That could only handle 14,400 10 Gbps streams concurrently.

Each of the OLT ports can in theory handle 128 subs. With the current 300k setup OpenEIR have 32 subs per port.

So yes .. with more capacity, they could hang more subs of a cluster without creating too much contention.

Also, while I do not see them offering a 10gig profile, there are talks about profiles with more than 1gig. And for that you need a 10gig port on the ONT in the first place. They will start out with the existing profiles though.

/M

cnocbui wrote: »
    Nobody needs 10 GB/s. If the technology allows for it then it makes some sense to use it for future proofing but there isn't a domestic need for such speed at present and the wholesale cost of data would need to fall 90%.

To put it in perspective, the state of the art seems to be the Pacific light cable between Hong Kong and Los Angeles, at 144,000 Gbps which is planned. That could only handle 14,400 10 Gbps streams concurrently.

If i ever get around to building something like a holodeck I might need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

I tried searching but I wasn't sure what to search for. I was leaving our (new broadband-less) estate this morning and Diffusion Utility services were working at a manhole on the main road. We asked what they were doing and they said fibre optic for our estate.

We're not included in the 335k rollout (the main road was and is live) and I've been trying to get info on an estimated date that we should expect any services to be available since we moved in in November, without any luck.

Does anyone know what stage we're at, in relation to the work done today? How can I tell the fibre has been run to the nearest manhole to our house? I had a look but I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks!

Defusion do splicing work which would be towards the end of the fibre build process. If they are finished it could be available to you within a couple of months, perhaps sooner. Keep checking your Eircode on Airwire or eir's pages.

You can't tell if fibre is in a manhole without lifting the cover.

Also.

It may not be Openeir. It could actually be SIRO, if you are in an Urban or near Urban setting.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I think they'll want a differentiator with SIRO so I expect they'll beat SIRO's upload at least. 500Mb/s upload on top package as a minimum IMO.
    It will be interesting to see where they start. Areas where SIRO and VM are already established, or elsewhere. Also, I assume SIRO could easily match anything Eir offered, even 10gb.

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see where they start. Areas where SIRO and VM are already established, or elsewhere. Also, I assume SIRO could easily match anything Eir offered, even 10gb.

I think areas around Dublin are a good bet. Carolan Lennon has previously mentioned their historical lack of investment that had allowed Virgin (UPC) to steal a march on them.

SIRO could go to 10Gb but for existing customers it would require a new ONT and new OLT line cards at the "exchange" side. I don't know if they'll go down that road in the short term.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement