Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sorry if this has been asked already.
    What is the story with premises currently receiving fttc in towns.

Are we likely to see eir just chasing these now that they are out of the NBP? I presume these would be profitable to service for eir/Virgin etc.

Getting serviced by Virgin could be a bad thing as you may not be able to get iptv services offered by other providers, e.g. eir sports.

Thanks

Supervectoring very soon will give a 10-20% boost. After that expect no real changes in most FTTC areas in the next 4yrs excluding where SIRO are planning and the tiny bit of VM expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

ED E wrote: »
    Supervectoring very soon will give a 10-20% boost. After that expect no real changes in most FTTC areas in the next 4yrs excluding where SIRO are planning and the tiny bit of VM expansion.

In speeds or distance?
    Surely there is a profit for companies to offer ffth within town centres. Just work outside the NBP, or is that not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In speeds or distance?
    Surely there is a profit for companies to offer ffth within town centres. Just work outside the NBP, or is that not allowed?

Yes, SIRO will. Slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'm part of the Rural 300K

And currently i'm being told via : http://fibrerollout.ie/
    Great news! Your Eircode is on open eir’s rural fibre rollout programme offering fibre speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the first half of 2018.

It's May, the fifth month.. no sign of any work locally. Doubt i'll have it by June

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mikeecho wrote: »

It's May, the fifth month.. no sign of any work locally. Doubt i'll have it by June

those messages don't mean much.
    My Eircode is still displaying that message and I've FTTH over a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Airwire.ie check tool

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

If theres been no work you probably wont be seeing it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm also due for first half of 2018 but we had new poles a few months back, then reels of cable along the road, and a few weeks ago the black boxes appeared on a few poles.

It's all a big tease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Airwire.ie check tool

Where do these guys get their info. I've been living in a new estate for the past 15 months and told I can only get ftth.

On sheets here it says town is complete but hitting a stone wall with eir/open Eir. Is it open Eir advising airwire?

recyclops wrote: »
    Where do these guys get their info. I've been living in a new estate for the past 15 months and told I can only get ftth.

On sheets here it says town is complete but hitting a stone wall with eir/open Eir. Is it open Eir advising airwire?

Openeir sends them a list I think. There’s an Airwire rep here who could probably answer that better. They normally come on here around 9am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Openeir own the network, and they provide information to Airwire and others about the state of the network in all areas.
    So Airwire, like others, are really dependent on the quality of the information provided by Openeir.

...... as I understand it ......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm also due for first half of 2018 but we had new poles a few months back, then reels of cable along the road, and a few weeks ago the black boxes appeared on a few poles.

It's all a big tease.
    That's the normal sequence. So, you should have it soon. Where I am, the initial dates slipped, but they were spot on for the revised dates. The uptake has been pretty high because there was extremely limited fixed line broadband in the area previously. Ironically the easy part was sending the fibre along the roads. That aspect is incredibly quick. The hard part is getting it from the road into people's houses. But, the KN guys are very good. They have a lot of practice it at by this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

DrPhilG wrote: »

It's all a big tease.

I'm due for end of year ...... most recently poles have been replaced, manholes 'found' again, old 'eircom 'ducting cleared and fibre ducting inserted.
    No fibre installed or DP boxes fitted yet ......... looks like there will be a considerable time-break before that part of the job is done.

Openeir sends them a list I think. There’s an Airwire rep here who could probably answer that better. They normally come on here around 9am.

this may be a massive help, my disdain for Eir grows with each passing day and if i was able to get FTTH and stay as far away from them as possible id be so happy

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Every wholesale partner/operator using the OpenEIR infrastructure gets the same information. Our availability check is based on our own data for fixed wireless and jet, OpenEirs data for VDSL and rural FTTH with some optimisations and SIROs data for the cities/towns that we cover for their FTTH offering.

The FTTC data we receive from OpenEIR lacks a lot, so often a manual check is required, if a customer wants to order.

Obviously we can't help you with other operators, like Eir.

Every wholesale partner/operator using the OpenEIR infrastructure gets the same information. Our availability check is based on our own data for fixed wireless and jet, OpenEirs data for VDSL and rural FTTH with some optimisations and SIROs data for the cities/towns that we cover for their FTTH offering.

The FTTC data we receive from OpenEIR lacks a lot, so often a manual check is required, if a customer wants to order.

Obviously we can't help you with other operators, like Eir.

Hi Martin, thanks for that currently i dont have an open order with anybody due to the situation being so cloak and dagger and it dragging on. If i had a number for you guys could i speak to someone and hopefully more info may be available

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Hi Martin, thanks for that currently i dont have an open order with anybody due to the situation being so cloak and dagger and it dragging on. If i had a number for you guys could i speak to someone and hopefully more info may be available

Our phone number is 091-395000 and is in the signature below and can also be found on our website. boards.ie touch website doesn't seem to show signatures, which is why you may have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

So eventually the pole/DP serving my house was lit so an install was planned for last Friday - failed install as the install needed 2 KN folks as the DP was on diagonally across a road on a corner :/ was of a half day, the previous 'no light there' engineer should have marked the future install as a two person job...anywho, new install date Tuesday next week so lets see what happens.
    When initially walking the path with the KN installer, I could see him trying to find out a way which he could get out of the install job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Absolutely no movement on starting the rollout in Bweeng Co.Cork as of this evening. They say on the website “first half of 2018” but without even a start made they will surely be months and months behind schedule.

Is it still the case that Eir will be subject of penalties if this goes into 2019?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

irishfeen wrote: »
    Absolutely no movement on starting the rollout in Bweeng Co.Cork as of this evening. They say on the website “first half of 2018” but without even a start made they will surely be months and months behind schedule.

Is it still the case that Eir will be subject of penalties if this goes into 2019?

There is a provision in the contract for, I believe, six months delay without penalties. I think it is likely that they will need this extra time as it seems unlikely that they can make the end of 2018 deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

There is a provision in the contract for, I believe, six months delay without penalties. I think it is likely that they will need this extra time as it seems unlikely that they can make the end of 2018 deadline.

Could very well be part of any NBP deal with using the Eir network - government waive it if an agreement can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

There are some areas that cables are old and have been damaged several times over the years by trees and one could reason that it will never be truly replaced as there's a brand new ftth network next to it that's made for the future why would anyone spend new money for old rope. Building a pstn line seems an exercise in futility as the customer doesn't want it and you know there's no customer satisfaction for building 7km worth of a line back that will never carry broadband and it will be abandoned as soon as the ftth order comes through. To make it worse there could be a ftth node right outside their door that they said they cannot get an order for until the pstn line is in and completed off.
    An hour or two to put in a ftth line and get it up and running or two men spending all day on a copper line thats not even wanted by the customer? Tell me where that makes sense?
    Fair enough if the customer wants the line but in the majority of cases they are only accepting it because they have been told it's required to get the ftth line.
    As for the orders the tech does not get to choose what he can do for you. He gets his order from the provider he can do it or can't do it he cannot change what the job is.
    VoIP is the way to go. Call quality is crystal clear it only requires one job to be completed rather than two separate jobs that will not be on the same day. one for a phone line then another for a fibre line.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

Borrisoleigh rollout update.kn crew laid fibre on backroad heading for Barnane last Friday . Today fibre attached to poles on Templemore road along yellow line.Backroad heading for fishmoyne and ballinlonty and Pallas road at other side of exchange are only sections left now for fibre in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

A big reel of fibre cable was left outside my house... Amazed it's still there this morning....

Anyhow for the geeks it says on it;

UND 1534 AERIAL 2018 12 ACOME 36xG652D OPENEIR and marked with a figure for every metre (I could see 18552M to 18632M).

So 36 core single Single Mode Fiber G652D (has significantly reduced optical attenuation at water absorption wavelength around 1383nm - funny that in Ireland...)

http://www.acome.fr/en/content/download/28192/530416/file/UND1534%20Outdoor%20Distribution%20Cable%20Aerail%20Duct%2002%20to%20288%20Fo.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Passatb7 wrote: »
    Borrisoleigh rollout update.kn crew laid fibre on backroad heading for Barnane last Friday . Today fibre attached to poles on Templemore road along yellow line.Backroad heading for fishmoyne and ballinlonty and Pallas road at other side of exchange are only sections left now for fibre in this area.

Typical, I'm on the road to Pallas and we haven't had a single van or cable ran yet. "Grab All Association" has their installation booked today i believe in drom off the borris exchange, so interesting to see if they keep to that date.

My parents were booked for today as well in the town, but we need a tree surgeon out before kn will touch it - which i half expected as we dont have the 1m clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Vego wrote: »
    Great News!
    Fibre to the Home is available at.....

eir Advanced Broadband unlimited up to 24Mb ... Something up there right ? .... I see a connection fee of 99 euro as well

Does this mean I can book FTTH ...seems odd the 24mb

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

_sheep wrote: »
    Typical, I'm on the road to Pallas and we haven't had a single van or cable ran yet. "Grab All Association" has their installation booked today i believe in drom off the borris exchange, so interesting to see if they keep to that date.

My parents were booked for today as well in the town, but we need a tree surgeon out before kn will touch it - which i half expected as we dont have the 1m clearance.

KN crews attaching fibre to poles along Fishmoyne ,Ballinlonty road near Borrisoleigh today.Pallas should be next .

No sign of eir/kn yet. Booked an evening install slot. Highly unlikely they’ll install/survey this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

The official fibre live date for my exchange is today (9th May) .

I preordered a couple of weeks ago and was told that I'd get a call / email / text today with an installation date .

Me , being the impatient type , rang after lunch today to enquire about any updates .

I was told that there was a survey / installation scheduled for the morning of Monday 14th May but that the message hadn't been sent yet :D

She asked would I like to confirm if Monday suited , I said "Yes please "

Can't wait :D:D

Only a few more days to go ( hopefully )

:D

• Advertisement

I just called them and it’ll be Monday 14th before I’ll get an appointment. Had it confirmed the other day the appointment would be today as booked online. Absolute joke of a company.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement