Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Gilbey

our ones in our village went up last July and are only going live from tomorrow , although I dont think thats the norm . I think we was waiting on an OLT exchange or some other problem that delayed it

Did they let you know before it gos live or is it just a matter of waiting....they are working at the exchange all day yesterday and today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Gilbey wrote: »
    Did they let you know before it gos live or is it just a matter of waiting....they are working at the exchange all day yesterday and today

best thing is to check airwire eircode checker every Tuesday evening at https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail thats your best bet - also the eir eircode checker you could try: https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

But in all honestly I have asked people like Vodafone and other ISP's to let me know near to the time it was about to become available ... and they have said yes, but they never did - so in the end its best you just keep checking every tuesday . Airwire checker the best they seem to be on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

I'm in the same boat, boxes were installed 2 months ago and I'm checking airwire every Tuesday eve to see if my post code shows up. Hopefully this evening it will!!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Lol what's the chances! My postcode is showing up as Available soon now!! Any idea how soon after it shows this?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Generally .. 1-2 months in most cases.

Generally .. 1-2 months in most cases.

It's already been 2 months since boxes went up! So I have another month or 2 wait? Damn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

E46Dream wrote: »
    It's already been 2 months since boxes went up! So I have another month or 2 wait? Damn

It has taken 6+ months from the boxes going up to service going live in some areas. Every area is different.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    It has taken 6+ months from the boxes going up to service going live in some areas. Every area is different.

/M

Ah suppose another bit of waiting will do no harm so!

I'm lucky to be even getting ftth at all.

well I might be in the situation that I have been waiting so long for FTTH to become available to me that i am too'ing and fro'ing just keeping my 12mbps FWA connection - sure i love the idea of going from 12mbps (sometimes down to 3mbps when its busy) to a more stable 150mbps - but the installation charge is so putting me off , what are we talking, average of 99euro + 30connection/activation fee - now to most its most probably a drop in the ocean but to me its not like shelling out 30-50eur at the moment. I am having to penny pinch most of the time to pay up other bills let alone having to fork out 130eur plus for installation. I know its a one-off payment but still . 2 years back i paid out 150eur for installation charge for FWA and and now I am same boat of having to fork out 130eur for FTTH so i keep thinking I have put up this long so shall i just carry on with what i have (pretend like I cannot even avail of FTTH lol - keep saying that to myself) or will it just eventually eat away at me (especially when my internet goes bad or drops out) and I end up giving in and go against my principles (and wallet) and order it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

As a matter of interest, anyone else on 1Gbps and only gettin 200-400mbps for the vast majority of the time?
    the odd day for a few hours i hit 800+
    but
    most speed tests start at 800ish and quickly fall back down between 200 and 400

same hardware/networks/os/speedtestServers etc that has seen 940mbps on occasion.

While it's better than the LTE and WISP connections I use to have (by miles!) before signing up to FTTH
    it's still a bit disappointing if my exchange is the only one suffering some sort of contention.
    I understand that my speeds are in excess of a fully contended FTTH line, but i can't imagine that there are so many other users sharing my line it's so consistently poor, must be the exchange no?

I'm curious if any other 1Gbps connections notice the same?

brianbruff wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, anyone else on 1Gbps and only gettin 200-400mbps for the vast majority of the time?
    but

same hardware/networks/os/speedtestServers etc that has seen 940mbps on occasion.

While it's better than the LTE and WISP connections I use to have (by miles!) before signing up to FTTH
    it's still a bit disappointing if my exchange is the only one suffering some sort of contention.
    I understand that my speeds are in excess of a fully contended FTTH line, but i can't imagine that there are so many other users sharing my line it's so consistently poor, must be the exchange no?

Thats a big variation - are you doing all this wirelessly or have you tried hard wired Ethernet to your laptop or desktop PC computer? - because i would say if your doing it by wireless router and you have an 802.11 AC dual band connection then something at certain times could be blocking the signal. Microwave ovens, transformers, metal structures and loads of other things could be blocking the signal from your wireless router to the laptop

Thats a big variation - are you doing all this wirelessly or have you tried hard wired Ethernet to your laptop or desktop PC computer? - because i would say if your doing it by wireless router and you have an 802.11 AC dual band connection then something at certain times could be blocking the signal. Microwave ovens, transformers, metal structures and loads of other things could be blocking the signal from your wireless router to the laptop

what i tried to establish above is that it's not me,
    I've a linux firefox laptop hardwired and proven Gibabit capable locally and on occasion works with SpeedTest , it's certainly the connection itself.

what i tried to establish above is that it's not me,
    I've a linux firefox laptop hardwired and proven Gibabit capable locally and on occasion works with SpeedTest , it's certainly the connection itself.

ah right sorry brianbruff I shouldnt have jumped to conclusions thinking you had windows and thinking you were using wireless - yes indeed then if your all hard wired it could be something else .. but still not too sure it would be contention issue though seeing as there is such a big difference in figures especially with fibre but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

but

First thing that comes to my mind is whether or not the source of your downloading tests is able to maintain 1Gb/s to all connections.

I would expect not, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WhoJackie

alec76 wrote: »
    How much they'll charge you for the pole I wonder?

I've heard €1400, plus fitting

First thing that comes to my mind is whether or not the source of your downloading tests is able to maintain 1Gb/s to all connections.

I would expect not, TBH.

yes typically try with 3 servers, airwire,blackknight and enet limerick,
    i've seen all these pull multiple Gbps when i try from either Azure or AWS servers in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Airwire's availability checker now says fibre available 10-7-2019! Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭f0zzy

B Rabbit wrote: »
    Airwire's availability checker now says fibre available 10-7-2019! Delighted.

For me also - Available 10-07-2019 ... wahooo ...

I really hope its not a false dawn - the boxes have been up since March so really hoping we're close to being connected now.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

f0zzy wrote: »
    For me also - Available 10-07-2019 ... wahooo ...

I really hope its not a false dawn - the boxes have been up since March so really hoping we're close to being connected now.

Says available soon or me now since yesterday. Boxes went up last Thursday. Was sort of hoping for rapid movement but looks like it’ll be into August at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

I rang up Eir home care about planning to switch my account when we have the new address (in about 3 months time!) and they suggested that I go to Eircode website,send in a query explaining I need an Eircode for a new house. If (big if) they come back with one, then I can ring Eir about switching/new connection and as you said,they will come out and survey the site to let me know if I need a new pole or where my connection might be, then I can progress the changeover.

I understand that your new house has to be on the Ordinance Survey (OSI) map before Eircode assign you an eircode. You need to check the OSI map and if the new house does not show chase that with the OSI as well as chasing Eirccode.

It is also worth talking with one of the more flexible ISPs - one of them may be able to help by getting OpenEir to add the new house to the build programme.

The OSI site will tell you how often they survey and update the maps - probably worth asking them when the next update of your area is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

hi guys,

My house is down for FTTH according to the eircode checker.

There are KN vans on the main road and there putting down the FTTH cables, I am concerned because they have not put the Fiber cable from the Distribution Point down via the duct to the pole outside my house, should they not be doing that ?

do the fiber installers after ordering run a fiber cable from the distribution point all the way back to my house ? seems quite far its like 100-150M.

I would have presumed KN would be bring the Fiber cable to a box on the pole outside my house via the underground DUCT ? and then the installers run the customer cable from the pole into my house via the duct in my garden,

I made a little diagram below to explain.

Cheers guys

bb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

A+-Guru wrote: »
    hi guys,

My house is down for FTTH according to the eircode checker.

There are KN vans on the main road and there putting down the FTTH cables, I am concerned because they have not put the Fiber cable from the Distribution Point down via the duct to the pole outside my house, should they not be doing that ?

do the fiber installers after ordering run a fiber cable from the distribution point all the way back to my house ? seems quite far its like 100-150M.

I would have presumed KN would be bring the Fiber cable to a box on the pole outside my house via the underground DUCT ? and then the installers run the customer cable from the pole into my house via the duct in my garden,

I made a little diagram below to explain.

Cheers guys

bb.png

Could be a ug distribution point?

along the main road its overhead the distribution point on main road pole, at the end of that pole there is the underground duct connecting the phone line to the pole outside my garden.

I thought KN are responsible to bring the fiber cable to the pole outside my garden why I am concerned they are forgetting me, and that the installer technicians install the connection from pole outside your house, now it seems they will be installing the fiber cable from the distribution point the whole way to the pole outside my house and then direct into my house, 150+meters,

I guess there is nothing I can do but wait and see, but I will blow a lid if it turns out KN were in-fact supposed to bring the fiber cable to the pole outside my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

I thought KN are responsible to bring the fiber cable to the pole outside my garden why I am concerned they are forgetting me, and that the installer technicians install the connection from pole outside your house
    No this is not how it’s done. They put up a fiber dp that will serve up to eight houses, then they run a fiber dropwire from the dp to the houses when someone signs up for the fiber. They run the fiber dropwire up to 200meters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

along the main road its overhead the distribution point on main road pole, at the end of that pole there is the underground duct connecting the phone line to the pole outside my garden.

I thought KN are responsible to bring the fiber cable to the pole outside my garden why I am concerned they are forgetting me, and that the installer technicians install the connection from pole outside your house, now it seems they will be installing the fiber cable from the distribution point the whole way to the pole outside my house and then direct into my house, 150+meters,

I guess there is nothing I can do but wait and see, but I will blow a lid if it turns out KN were in-fact supposed to bring the fiber cable to the pole outside my house.

If they were to bring the cable outside your premises there would need to be a distribution point outside your premises. The workers on this stage of the build don't deal with any cabling after distribution points.

It seems there are five homes there served by one DP so when you order the installer will likely bring the cable from the DP to your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

They will connect a property within 150m of the DP and probably a bit further if required, you won't require a DP closer.
    More recently Eircom have re-visited its policy on connecting end users and are adopting a FTTH network design that targets bringing a DP to within 150 meters of all premises.

thanks very much guys, i understand now :D

this is great news :D

so last week when or whenever the vodafone FTTH gigabit eircode checker was up and running I puts me eircode in and it said 'congratulations you can get speeds up to 1gbps' this week now the vodafone eir checker has gone and requires an address I put my address in today (the 12th was supposed to be the date I could order FTTH from) and guess what , 7mbps available at my address (must be VDSL FTTC) - what the blinking hell are they playing at removing the eircode checker from their site like that I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Andy .. can you explain why you are using the most outdated checker anyhow ?

You've been around for long enough to know, which checkers deliver what accuracy of data.

I think it is a sign that you just should stick with what you have !

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement