Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »
    Andy .. can you explain why you are using the most outdated checker anyhow ?

You've been around for long enough to know, which checkers deliver what accuracy of data.

I think it is a sign that you just should stick with what you have !

/M

the vodafone gigabit eircode checker wasnt outdated was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

the vodafone gigabit eircode checker wasnt outdated was it?

At least as outdated as the Eir one. Why do you think they ditched it ? They got fed up updating it ;)

They are more interested in you contacting them, so they can sign you up there and then and stick you in a contract.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    At least as outdated as the Eir one. Why do you think they ditched it ? They got fed up updating it ;)

They are more interested in you contacting them, so they can sign you up there and then and stick you in a contract.

/M

you might say the Eir one was outdated - but they** said 'Fibre to the home available at this eircode address' before the 12th June which the others were saying available from the 12th June.

** https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

so credit to them for that

but yeah some of their other pages like the fibre rollout pages and maps havent been updated since april (or longer) I dont think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

but yeah some of their other pages like the fibre rollout pages and maps havent been updated since april (or longer) I dont think

Much longer I think.

If it's not on the SIRO network Vodafone seem disinterested in selling people FTTH. If you really want to go with them they will eventually update their database and you can get it. Sky are much the same. Both these providers initially boycotted Open Eir for FTTH claiming the profit margins are unattractive, so it does make sense that they don't really push this product and probably only decided to offer it to hold more market share.

I'd be lying if I said I wasnt interested in going with Vodafone at the moment - They say that its free installation ... although small writing it says in some areas - so i am not sure if we are area they charge.

And 25eur P/M sounds very appealing as we are paying 49eur P/M for FWA 12mbps at the moment so the lower price for our BB means that money saved can go to other bills (even if its for only 6 months) so that will help us out - I know it goes up to 50eur P/M after 6months on vodafone but that still not bad and even after 12months it 55 P/M

I quite like the look of the vodafone gigabit router as well the Gigabox they call it - seems feature rich, and also has a mobile phone app too , and personally I think the aesthetics look better than the fritz box and the like (although I dont know how it performs up against them boxes - there are a lot of fans on here of the fritz boxes)

• Advertisement

Free install and 25 P/M but only in some areas, so just in SIRO areas perhaps? I can't check as vodafone.ie is currently down. The gigabox is a poor performer from the reports I've read on the SIRO thread.

tuxy wrote: »
    Free install and 25 P/M but only in some areas, so just in SIRO areas perhaps? I can't check as vodafone.ie is currently down. The gigabox is a poor performer from the reports I've read on the SIRO forum.

yeah i see that its down until 1am ..... maybe they will put the gigabit eircode checker back up again on their site after the maintenance maybe/hopefully?

yes you could be right about the SIRO I didnt see that, although their 'simply broadband' ADSL/VDSL also 25 P/M for 6months too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

you might say the Eir one was outdated - but they** said 'Fibre to the home available at this eircode address' before the 12th June which the others were saying available from the 12th June.

** https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

so credit to them for that

Erhh .. no credit to them for that .. because it's wrong information. They can not place the order before 12th of June themselves either ... so it is misleading .. at best.

You just like it, because it gives you false hope of getting a connection before the 12th.

But if you prefer to be told porkies ... then sure ...

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Much longer I think.

If it's not on the SIRO network Vodafone seem disinterested in selling people FTTH. If you really want to go with them they will eventually update their database and you can get it. Sky are much the same. Both these providers initially boycotted Open Eir for FTTH claiming the profit margins are unattractive, so it does make sense that they don't really push this product and probably only decided to offer it to hold more market share.

They had to stop the boycott as openeir more or less told them new housing estates won't have copper at all they had no choice

• Registered Users Posts: 27 repub

i installed ducting from my house across my own field to get to fibre black box last year. this was because i upgraded an existing dwelling so open eir didn't install a pole at the time they were doing the road as the house was derelict. However, despite then getting a copper connection in August, they have failed to update their system to say I'm eligible for fibre. It's infuriating. One neighbour (who connects to the same black box) has it, and the other would also use same box but doesnt want fibre, however is eligible for 1000mb/s on the Eir site. Despite over 20 phone calls and being sent around in circles I cannot get anywhere with them. The best they manage is typing my eircode into their site, i can do that myself! There seems to be no process to update the system for a new build within an existing rural fibre route.

• Advertisement

repub wrote: »
    i installed ducting from my house across my own field to get to fibre black box last year. this was because i upgraded an existing dwelling so open eir didn't install a pole at the time they were doing the road as the house was derelict. However, despite then getting a copper connection in August, they have failed to update their system to say I'm eligible for fibre. It's infuriating. One neighbour (who connects to the same black box) has it, and the other would also use same box but doesnt want fibre, however is eligible for 1000mb/s on the Eir site. Despite over 20 phone calls and being sent around in circles I cannot get anywhere with them. The best they manage is typing my eircode into their site, i can do that myself! There seems to be no process to update the system for a new build within an existing rural fibre route.

Have you been trying to contact Open Eir directly? That usually won't work. Which providers have you tried? Some are much better at dealing with such problems than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

107920 FTTH connections at the end of Q1 2019 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, open eir and SIRO being the largest. +19% QonQ and +115% YoY.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q1-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

Does anyone know how long it will take (roughly obviously) between the 'black box' connected to a pole outside my house, and when i might be able to order it? Can i expect it soon? Also - what is the black box - my 'google-it' skills have failed for this.

Does anyone know how long it will take (roughly obviously) between the 'black box' connected to a pole outside my house, and when i might be able to order it? Can i expect it soon? Also - what is the black box - my 'google-it' skills have failed for this.

Generally at least a month, maybe longer. The box is known as a distribution point. It is manufactured by 3M, model is BPEO and is used to house fibre splices and connections. When you order a fibre cable will be brought from the box into your home.

As Navi said, at least one month and can be much longer if they encounter any difficulty completing the build. All you can do is enter your eircode here every Tuesday evening and wait for the status to change.

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Most of the distribution points can connect up to 4 houses but there is a version that can connect 8 houses but it's rarely needed in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

Most of the distribution points can connect up to 4 houses but there is a version that can connect 8 houses but it's rarely needed in rural areas.

Is there any way of knowing which version is installed just by looking at it?

Altreab2 wrote: »

No. The boxes are identical. The equipment inside would vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Openeir have just put the nail into unlimited plans - watch out for the return of data caps on FTTC and FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

if the black boxes are up the airewire.ie checker might already tell you the order date

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Altreab2 wrote: »

All I see day to day are ones that house 8 very rarely see less or more but they do exist likely varies area to area.
    No way of knowing without someone looking inside as they're all built the same

• Advertisement

kazoo106 wrote: »
    Openeir have just put the nail into unlimited plans - watch out for the return of data caps on FTTC and FTTH

That's fairly cryptic, is it possible to give some more info?

A new wholesale pricing structure doesn't lend itself very well to high use.
    One thing for sure - retail prices will be on the +++ or there will have to be strict caps.
    I don't have the details to hand right now, but I believe it's out there somewhere on the openeir site

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kazoo106 wrote: »

where is the dis-like button?

Now FTTH is finally available to me after what seems like eternity waiting time I cannot seem to find any provider who can offer free installation now .. guess I am just going to have to pay for installation (and possibly connection fee) if i am to avail of FTTH

Those prices are worse than I suspected - this will mean at least a €10 price hike across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In the news today - door-to-door broadband salesman for a multi-national broadband provider jailed for seven months for carrying out a sexual assault on a disabled woman in her 50s in her own home.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/i-no-longer-feel-secure-in-my-own-home-disabled-woman-reacts-to-jailing-of-salesman-after-sexual-assault-930628.html

Thanks for the info even if it is bad news :(
    If caps are reintroduced I wonder how harsh they will be. 1 TB is too small for me but 2 - 3 would be large enough that I would never have to think about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I will be leaving Eir if 1Tb caps come back along with price increases.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    I will be leaving Eir if 1Tb caps come back along with price increases.

If I understand correctly it's Open Eir that is increasing prices that will make it difficult for any provider to offer FTTH with no cap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement