Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tuxy wrote: »
    If I understand correctly it's Open Eir that is increasing prices that will make it difficult for any provider to offer FTTH with no cap.

this is really bad news, if caps are coming back there better be an option for more than 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Did a few calculations. 2TB of usage along with line rental will cost an operator €40.80 a month inc VAT - that operator then has to source and pay for "internet" to send down the pipe, pay for datacenter space, pay staff wages, office rent all on top of this. Don't be surprised if standard price goes to €60 - €65+ a month for the entry 150Mb/s product. Eir themselves will probably just throw IOU notes on paper jets across their office to OpenEir and bring their own price down to €20 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

The Cush wrote: »
    In the news today - door-to-door broadband salesman for a multi-national broadband provider jailed for seven months for carrying out a sexual assault on a disabled woman in her 50s in her own home.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/i-no-longer-feel-secure-in-my-own-home-disabled-woman-reacts-to-jailing-of-salesman-after-sexual-assault-930628.html

its time (long past it) anyway to have door to door salesmen going around like this now anyway door to door. People can order online or the postman can just post leaflet through the doors. some of these door to door salesmen can be pretty insistent too in clinching a deal I have come across it before on a couple of occasions. I have been insistent to telling them to get lost as well , but some vulnerable people could feel quite threatened by them

• Registered Users Posts: 27 repub

No i have gone through the service provider Eir who have been contacting the infrastructure team (open Eir). At one stage Open Eir ran a line test and I thought i was getting somewhere - they then stated there was a line fault. An engineer called out to fix it, said all was fine. Then I rang back and was back to square one i.e. Customer Care just typed in my EirCode and said 'sorry its not available at your address' . Pure codswallop. As I said earlier, there is seemingly no process to update the info. on the system for a new EirCode joining an existing fibre rollout area. There's also no means to talk sense to a human being within either organisation who can understand the logical steps that need to be taken and relay the info accordingly - not exactly their fault it's a management/procedural problem. The job for my premises getting fibre would take no more than 1 hour, yet here I am going around in circles for nearly 10 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

repub wrote: »
    No i have gone through the service provider Eir who have been contacting the infrastructure team (open Eir). At one stage Open Eir ran a line test and I thought i was getting somewhere - they then stated there was a line fault. An engineer called out to fix it, said all was fine. Then I rang back and was back to square one i.e. Customer Care just typed in my EirCode and said 'sorry its not available at your address' . Pure codswallop. As I said earlier, there is seemingly no process to update the info. on the system for a new EirCode joining an existing fibre rollout area. There's also no means to talk sense to a human being within either organisation who can understand the logical steps that need to be taken and relay the info accordingly - not exactly their fault it's a management/procedural problem. The job for my premises getting fibre would take no more than 1 hour, yet here I am going around in circles for nearly 10 months.

You're likely wasting your time trying to get eir retail to resolve this. The organisation is too large and your issue will get lost among layers of support. As suggested earlier approaching a smaller ISP such as Airwire, Digiweb, Westnet to name a few is likely to be more productive.

Also contact the DCCAE at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie explaining your issue. The contract eir signed with the Government stipulates that new builds are added in a timely fashion. This has obviously not happened in your case so make your case forcefully but politely.

Also look into who is the broadband officer for your region and make contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

tuxy wrote: »
    If I understand correctly it's Open Eir that is increasing prices that will make it difficult for any provider to offer FTTH with no cap.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    this is really bad news, if caps are coming back there better be an option for more than 1TB.

Those price increases will lead to increased prices on all OpenEIR based products including re-introduction of caps for those who promote unlimited, no doubt.

There are not only changes into the monthly charges, but also changes in how OpenEIR calculates their traffic charges across the network. And while it may just about work out the same for the provider, if the current end-user pattern remains, it means that with increased traffic from end-users it becomes a lot more costly to the provider to offer these products.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭kazoo106

All these prices are ex VAT and are usage and rental charges only (before any ISP charges)
    All are based on the 150Meg FTTH

Light user (100GB a month)
    Previous €27.85
    Now €29.48

Average user (1TB a month)
    Previous €30.68
    Now €30.68 (no change)

Heavy User (10TB a month)
    Previous €32.77
    Now - €42.43

So it all seems to be geared towards an average user using 1TB a month where there is no change

However the prices above do not reflect reality

Many providers bring the OpenEir interconnect to their local area in order to eliminate the openeir traffic charges and bring their IP seperately to that point - so they never pay the OpenEir usage component

This means that now - what was costing €23.50 will now cost €29.34 (€28.90 to €36.08 inc VAT)

Assuming many of these operators were selling at €50 per month and making a modest €2.50 per month per customer, (these customers are on fixed price contracts) the operator is now LOOSING €3.34 per customer

I can see that this is not going to end well !

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

kazoo106 wrote: »
    All these prices are ex VAT and are usage and rental charges only (before any ISP charges)

Previous €27.85
    Now €29.48

Previous €30.68
    Now €30.68 (no change)

Previous €32.77
    Now - €42.43

So it all seems to be geared towards an average user using 1TB a month where there is no change

Many providers bring the OpenEir interconnect to their local area in order to eliminate the openeir traffic charges and bring their IP seperately to that point - so they never pay the OpenEir usage component

This means that now - what was costing €23.50 will now cost €29.34 (€28.90 to €36.08 inc VAT)

Assuming many of these operators were selling at €50 per month and making a modest €2.50 per month per customer, (these customers are on fixed price contracts) the operator is now LOOSING €3.34 per customer

What about offering lower tiered speeds? 30mpbs 80mpbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Fibre has just been installed along the road at the end of our lane. It is 400m to the nearest post with a "box" on it.
    All 4 houses in the lane have/had Eir landline service from that post.
    Is there any chance we can get FTTH or even FTTC?
    We don't show on the Open Eir rollout map, but neither does that road either!
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

kazoo106 wrote: »

Previous €27.85
    Now €29.48

Previous €30.68
    Now €30.68 (no change)

Previous €32.77
    Now - €42.43

This is typical of some Irish companies, lets see if we can deliver a worse service, charge more, take away some privileges and see can we get away it.

So it looks like we are getting:

- No Speed changes to download or upload.
    - Prices increasing by possibly 5 to 10 euros per plan
    - Unlimited Fair Usage Policys and data caps are coming back
    - hidden charges and excess charges also making a return.
    - increased charges to competitors making them less profitable and less customer friendly

I mean, it doesn't get much worse than this? Unlimited was limited, now unlimited really is unlimited, but soon unlimited will once again be limited. I can see alot of customers getting smacked with 100 euros excess charges when this comes back in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is the goal to reduce uptake, was uptake too high for Open Eir's liking?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Gonzo wrote: »
    This is typical of some Irish companies, lets see if we can deliver a worse service, charge more, take away some privileges and see can we get away it.

So it looks like we are getting:

- No Speed changes to download or upload.
    - Prices increasing by possibly 5 to 10 euros per plan
    - Unlimited Fair Usage Policys and data caps are coming back
    - hidden charges and excess charges also making a return.
    - increased charges to competitors making them less profitable and less customer friendly

I mean, it doesn't get much worse than this? Unlimited was limited, now unlimited really is unlimited, but soon unlimited will once again be limited. I can see alot of customers getting smacked with 100 euros excess charges when this comes back in.

I am with eir, and from the very beginning I did not believe their stats on my usage.
    Although I expected my usage to increase a bit ..... mainly due to viewing the few youtube videos I watch in a higher definition (full HD Vs 720) and a small bit more because of a few speed tests per month in the initial months.
    Yet my usage stats show 3 x what I was using previously, although my actual usage has not changed appreciably.
    I believe others have also noticed this.

I would hate to be dependent on the eir stats if I was subject to usage charges.

I am with eir, and from the very beginning I did not believe their stats on my usage.
    Although I expected my usage to increase a bit ..... mainly due to viewing the few youtube videos I watch in a higher definition (full HD Vs 720) and a small bit more because of a few speed tests per month in the initial months.
    Yet my usage stats show 3 x what I was using previously, although my actual usage has not changed appreciably.
    I believe others have also noticed this.

I would hate to be dependent on the eir stats if I was subject to usage charges.

if Eir brings back the 1tb data cap i'll be switching, even to another provider with the same data cap, because I don't trust Eir's usage calculator one bit, I can't afford the 100 euros excess charge for going over and can also get a better modem from other suppliers, so my days's with Eir are now numbered.

I think OpenEir are shooting themselves in the foot with all these very customer unfriendly changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Somebody had to pay for the 300k!

The June deadline will be missed. However eir hopes to avoid fines due to "mitigating circumstances".

https://www.independent.ie/business/eir-risks-fine-after-missing-key-rural-broadband-deadline-38219373.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The June deadline will be missed. However eir hopes to avoid fines due to "mitigating circumstances".

https://www.independent.ie/business/eir-risks-fine-after-missing-key-rural-broadband-deadline-38219373.html

I would expect if they can show solid evidence of the cause of the delays being outside their control they could well avoid most of the fines.

I would expect if they can show solid evidence of the cause of the delays being outside their control they could well avoid most of the fines.

I've no doubt that they will avoid fines because they have outplayed the Department at every turn. This will just be another occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

.. and if/whenever they do get fined you can bet your bottom dollar they dont end up paying the penalty and that it just gets passed onto the consumer , they more than likely just pass it onto the customer by hiking subscription charge or some other way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

This piece from the article is a bit concerning

"this leaves the company open to penalties, most likely the cost of reintegrating the outstanding homes into the National Broadband Plan scheme"

So are Eir not going to finish off the outstanding premises.

• Advertisement

jgbyr wrote: »
    This piece from the article is a bit concerning

"this leaves the company open to penalties, most likely the cost of reintegrating the outstanding homes into the National Broadband Plan scheme"

So are Eir not going to finish off the outstanding premises.

I think it's badly phrased in the article. I believe Weckler was trying to state that the fine, if levied, would be to cover the cost of reintegrating the premises. However I believe eir will finish the remaining premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Eir won't be paying any fine - they got the 6 month extension because of a storm ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

turbbo wrote: »
    Eir won't be paying any fine - they got the 6 month extension because of a storm ffs.

How many storm and bad weather increases is that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I think OpenEir are not allowed to start on their urban FTTH project until the rural scheme is completed. That should encourage them to finish it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I think OpenEir are not allowed to start on their urban FTTH project until the rural scheme is completed. That should encourage them to finish it asap.
    Iliads share price has stabilised and bond yields have dropped substantially, so Eir may start be a bit more relaxed about spending on capital expenditure.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/ILD:FP

https://markets.businessinsider.com/bonds/iliad_saeo-obl_201515-22-bond-2022-fr0013065372

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

Hi Guys,

doing more investigation on the ducting going from the pole outside my house to the dp on the main road 100m away.

this concerns me, I cannot see the ducting at pole end of the underground ducting outside my house, i thought the ducting is ment come up freely vertically attached to the pole, at the main road side i can see the ducting comeing up vertically attached to pole,

is this normal practice for them to be buried deep at the pole ?

20190616-181346-1-min.jpg
    20190616-181424-min.jpg
    20190612-113742-min.jpg
    20190612-113651-min.jpg

Is there an access chamber between the pole with the DP and the pole at your house? It may be buried underneath that overgrown ditch on the right side of the third photo.

The older phone cabling wasn't installed to as high a standard as the fibre. The ducting may be buried at the base of the pole. I don't know if an installer will dig down to reach it. He may refer it to a civils team. babi-hrse could clarify.

You might need to do a bit of exploratory digging to see if you can reveal the end of the duct but wait for confirmation from babi to see if the installer will do it or not.

thanks for reply,

From what I can see I do not see an access chamber, what does it look like? maybe I will go and investigate that also.

I dont mind digging around it to see,but I will wait to see what babi thinks. :cool:

Is there an access chamber between the pole with the DP and the pole at your house? It may be buried underneath that overgrown ditch on the right side of the third photo.

The older phone cabling wasn't installed to as high a standard as the fibre. The ducting may be buried at the base of the pole. I don't know if an installer will dig down to reach it. He may refer it to a civils team. babi-hrse could clarify.

You might need to do a bit of exploratory digging to see if you can reveal the end of the duct but wait for confirmation from babi to see if the installer will do it or not.

A+-Guru wrote: »
    thanks for reply,

From what I can see I do not see an access chamber, what does it look like? maybe I will go and investigate that also.

I dont mind digging around it to see,but I will wait to see what babi thinks. :cool:

A manhole. Flat metal cover buried in the road or the ditch. It seems a large distance between the poles for there not to be one.

• Advertisement

thanks, i will have a look

A manhole. Flat metal cover buried in the road or the ditch. It seems a large distance between the poles for there not to be one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement