Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 repub

I was back to Eir and mentioned i have been advised by comreg to to make a complaint.

So this is the latest back from customer care who seem to have copied and pasted from perhaps infrastructure:

'this is a new build area with a works order in place for planning.

A new line will have to be installed and when the WO updates the prequal will then update.

I hope this resolution is to your satisfaction, if you have any further queries in relation to this case please do not hesitate in contacting me
    '

funny how they can call this a resolution when it's such a general response without any tangible info.

-So when was the work order created?
    -What are the specifics of the Works order?
    -What or when is the prequal?
    -Baring in mind everything is already in place and only a line needs to be pulled couldnt they just send an engineer to sign off?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

A+-Guru wrote: »
    thanks for reply,

From what I can see I do not see an access chamber, what does it look like? maybe I will go and investigate that also.

I dont mind digging around it to see,but I will wait to see what babi thinks. :cool:

does seem an awful long distance in between poles. maybe they had to use a chamber in the road/ditch/path because I see in one of the photos there is an electricity ESB poles and wires going across the road there .

In most places the chamber has a oblong rusty looking manhole cover with raised squares on it and depending how old the cover is could have P&T or Telecom Eireann or eircom or eir just imprinted on the top of the cast iron chamber cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

Just came in from inspection. I cant see any chamber, perhaps it's buried in the ditch overgrowth. Road is very narrow. Not sure how old this ducting is, maybe in old times they did not use chambers!?! I measured the distance to be approx 100m.

Hopefully there is no issues,

will they leave the origional phone cable in the underground ducting, it's quite thick but there is some space for a fiber cable, or remove the big black phone cable?

There is 3 houses here, does that mean the underground ducting will need to carry 3 dropwires also? Or will there be just one junction box on our pole split for the 3 houses and connected to the DP with a single fiber cable in the underground ducting.

does seem an awful long distance in between poles. maybe they had to use a chamber in the road/ditch/path because I see in one of the photos there is an electricity ESB poles and wires going across the road there .

In most places the chamber has a oblong rusty looking manhole cover with raised squares on it and depending how old the cover is could have P&T or Telecom Eireann or eircom or eir just imprinted on the top of the cast iron chamber cover.

Just came in from inspection. I cant see any chamber, perhaps it's buried in the ditch overgrowth. Road is very narrow. Not sure how old this ducting is, maybe in old times they did not use chambers!?! I measured the distance to be approx 100m.

will they leave the origional phone cable in the underground ducting, it's quite thick but there is some space for a fiber cable, or remove the big black phone cable?

There is 3 houses here, does that mean the underground ducting will need to carry 3 dropwires also? Or will there be just one junction box on our pole split for the 3 houses and connected to the DP with a single fiber cable in the underground ducting.

the others are more knowlegable on here than me but i think if you are 50m or more from the pole/chamber with DP box on then you might find it difficult to even get connected

Your most probably right on that as well that they didnt use chambers in the road especially on a rural road like yours and just run the copper PSTN cable from pole to pole.

No, dont think they are allowed to remove PSTN cable at all in the duct, not even allowed to touch it - if the PSTN copper cable is not in use/connected they may be able to use it as a 'draw wire' purposes to pull the fibre cable through the duct but have to put it back in place afterwards.

I think 1 3m DP box normally has 8 junctions in it to connect up to 8 houses. (or is it 4 I cant remember)

as I say the others when they answer will supply much better and correct info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

If all three homes ordered it would be three drop wires from the box. I don't wish to alarm you but I am starting to have doubts if you will be covered. Any other situation like yours that I have seen a distribution point would have been placed on the pole outside your home. I can't see installers pulling cable throughout 100m of old ducting with a large copper cable (it can't be removed) already in it.

If you want to PM me an Eircode of one of the premises I can see if the ducting is mapped by eir. It would tell you the size of duct and whether there is an access chamber there. Not all areas are mapped however.

It will be later this evening before I can check the mapping.

• Advertisement

Thank you,

PM sent

If all three homes ordered it would be three drop wires from the box. I don't wish to alarm you but I am starting to have doubts if you will be covered. Any other situation like yours that I have seen a distribution point would have been placed on the pole outside your home. I can't see installers pulling cable throughout 100m of old ducting with a large copper cable (it can't be removed) already in it.

If you want to PM me an Eircode of one of the premises I can see if the ducting is mapped by eir. It would tell you the size of duct and whether there is an access chamber there. Not all areas are mapped however.

It will be later this evening before I can check the mapping.

Thank you,

PM sent

Unfortunately the ducting in your area is not mapped. Can you post some clear pictures of the fibre distribution point box on the pole at the end of your road?

oh no.... sure I will do this now

Unfortunately the ducting in your area is not mapped. Can you post some clear pictures of the fibre distribution point box on the pole at the end of your road?

I can't really make it out from the picture but is that loop of cable on the pole at the road made up of two cables coming down from the top of the pole or is there a third cable in the loop emanating from the base of the pole?

They haven't fitted the distribution point yet so it's possible that more work needs to be carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninkel

Looking at the original photos posted the reason for the existance of underground eir cable route is because of the proximity to ESB 20kV overhead line. Because of the insulating qualities of the eir fibre being used now, new fibre routes are again being installed overhead in these situations. To complete the fibre setup for the three houses in question a new pole would have to be installed near the bend on the road close to where the existing eir underground cable is shown bending with the road layout. (The usual planning requirements / permissions apply for this to be completed.) When pole is in position new overheard fibre could be run from pole where existing DP is shown on the photo to pole outside house. To serve the 3 houses a DP would have to installed on this pole. From that DP 3 fibre cables could be run overhead or underground as required.

• Advertisement

hi,

cables are coming down from over head, i was there when they were lifting the fiber line up and attaching to the pole. from what I can see there is no cable going from the base of the pole up to the loop, apart from the origional PTSN cable.

OpenEIR have indexed my house for FTTH, but should there have been a fiber line from roadside DP layed down to my pole with additional DP for our houses. or possible OPENEIR plan to put some poles down to connect the 3 houses ?

I can't really make it out from the picture but is that loop of cable on the pole at the road made up of two cables coming down from the top of the pole or is there a third cable in the loop emanating from the base of the pole?

They haven't fitted the distribution point yet so it's possible that more work needs to be carried out.

thank you for reply,

as long as I will be able to get connected I dont mind even if it takes little bit extra timewise, as long as it can be done thats the main thing,

Ninkel wrote: »
    Looking at the original photos posted the reason for the existance of underground eir cable route is because of the proximity to ESB 20kV overhead line. Because of the insulating qualities of the eir fibre being used now, new fibre routes are again being installed overhead in these situations. To complete the fibre setup for the three houses in question a new pole would have to be installed near the bend on the road close to where the existing eir underground cable is shown bending with the road layout. (The usual planning requirements / permissions apply for this to be completed.) When pole is in position new overheard fibre could be run from pole where existing DP is shown on the photo to pole outside house. To serve the 3 houses a DP would have to installed on this pole. From that DP 3 fibre cables could be run overhead or underground as required.

hi,

cables are coming down from over head, i was there when they were lifting the fiber line up and attaching to the pole. from what I can see there is no cable going from the base of the pole up to the loop, apart from the origional PTSN cable.

OpenEIR have indexed my house for FTTH, but should there have been a fiber line from roadside DP layed down to my pole with additional DP for our houses. or possible OPENEIR plan to put some poles down to connect the 3 houses ?

As it stands from what I can see from your images I don't see how they can get a cable from that pole to your house using the underground route.

I can't say if there was meant to be a distribution point fitted to the pole outside your house. The teams doing the overhead cabling and the underground work would be separate so it is possible that if there were to be one fitted that work could still take place. If roads have to be excavated it can lead to delays with licences needed from the Council.

I suppose there might be the option that if you ordered they could place a pole to take the fibre from the DP to outside your home but the ESB cabling may scupper that. Unfortunately I don't know what they have planned as to how you will get connected.

Thanks for reply, I guess there is no option now but to wait, if they planned to connect us there must be some sort of planning there to get the connection to us as from what I understand they were quite strict on planning which house were to get it and who was not.

Should I be contacting anyone about this or I just have to wait

As it stands from what I can see from your images I don't see how they can get a cable from that pole to your house using the underground route.

I can't say if there was meant to be a distribution point fitted to the pole outside your house. The teams doing the overhead cabling and the underground work would be separate so it is possible that if there were to be one fitted that work could still take place. If roads have to be excavated it can lead to delays with licences needed from the Council.

I suppose there might be the option that if you ordered they could place a pole to take the fibre from the DP to outside your home but the ESB cabling may scupper that. Unfortunately I don't know what they have planned as to how you will get connected.

Thanks for reply, I guess there is no option now but to wait, if they planned to connect us there must be some sort of planning there to get the connection to us as from what I understand they were quite strict on planning which house were to get it and who was not.

Should I be contacting anyone about this or I just have to wait

You'll have to wait I'm afraid. The chances of speaking to anyone who could tell you for certain are remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

the others are more knowlegable on here than me but i think if you are 50m or more from the pole/chamber with DP box on then you might find it difficult to even get connected

50 m is not correct. The DP is outside my house, but there is a house which is about 150 m away connected to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Maximum of 50m from the pole nearest to your house(doesn't have to be the one with the DP) for an overhead install.

Right , thats my FTTH order placed this evening. Going with a company called Digiweb. they are doing a special offer of FTTH installation of 49.95euro until July 31st - it will be 54.95euro per month 150mbps 12 months contract - we are currently paying 49euro per month for 12mbps FWA at the moment.

So i wonder now if there will be any problems or if it will be straightforward? - I wonder if any blocked ducts. - I have already drilled the hole already for the installer from the outside of the house. Picked up a long 16mm masonry drill from Homebase yesterday (kango make) reduced from 29euro to 7euro 9must have been clearing them out) - I dont suppose it will save the installer much time but I just did it so it was already for him (or it could be a her, I presume you could get women installers these days working for KN or whoever it will be?)

It looks like it will be a Fritz box supplied , a Fritz!Box 4040 I suppose will be supplied - cannot say I am sold on the look of them fritz routers or the colour of them (the black ones look OK I suppose but I dont personally like the red and cream colour of the other ones) - but they get a very good reviews on the positive reviews website as being a very reliable router so thats good.

Digiweb company seem to get a lot of good reviews on the whole on the Trustpilot ireland website too especially on the customer services front when compared to vodafone and eir etc who seem to have more bad reviews than good

so I wonder how long I will be waiting for now, I am predicting a week or 2 maybe, even better if its quicker , but if not I have been waiting this long now. - What are they likely to do, post out a router to me or the installer bring a router along with him in the van at time of installing?

Pat Kenny: Will you face fines though from the Department?

Carolan Lennon: Absolutely not.

Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

The 20kv parallel power lines mean all telecoms jumps down pole into duct and comes underground over to pole on otherside I know what ninkle is saying about the fact that there is no metal in the fibre cable it shouldn't be an issue. But the fibre will still be going underground it'll follow the existing networks path. If you find a pit on the ground with a blue L on it that means there's a fibre dp or splitter box in it.

Glad your finally getting sorted Andy but
    please don't talk at length to the installer about abstract things that have little bearing on his work, most don't concern themselves with the technical details of the fibre or what's happening in the backend. They want to get it in and working within tolerance and don't concern themselves with the technical details or odp olt conversations most of it'll go in one ear and out the other much as much as I'm sure a conversation about gauge of wire and amount of windings on a transformer on a sound card would with you.
    The hole he'll probably drill himself as a lot seem to put the hole too close to the skirting board.
    Best time to ask questions would be right about as he's finishing it off so he can tell you what goes where and what does what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Our phone line has to cross under a much heavier ESB wire than in the above pictures. It is a three phase line. When the phone was first installed in the seventies, after a three year waiting time, they used copper wires but the down under the powerline was insulated with blue insulation and an extra box with there was installed in the house in case the power line fell in the telephone line. Later this box was removed and a replacement was put on the last pole. Some time in the nineties I had a drain dug in the field and a passing eircom technician called and said that it was down in the books to put the phoneline underground for safety, so we dug the drain to the poles and he supplied ducting and wire and we burried it.
    KN installed fiber cables earlier in the year and they are Overground again, which I was a bit surprised at.

babi-hrse wrote: »

Glad your finally getting sorted Andy but
    please don't talk at length to the installer about abstract things that have little bearing on his work, most don't concern themselves with the technical details of the fibre or what's happening in the backend. They want to get it in and working within tolerance and don't concern themselves with the technical details or odp olt conversations most of it'll go in one ear and out the other much as much as I'm sure a conversation about gauge of wire and amount of windings on a transformer on a sound card would with you.
    The hole he'll probably drill himself as a lot seem to put the hole too close to the skirting board.
    Best time to ask questions would be right about as he's finishing it off so he can tell you what goes where and what does what.

OK thanks, duly noted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Pat Kenny: Will you face fines though from the Department?

Carolan Lennon: Absolutely not.

Says it all really.
    They should wait until Eir finish up and then impose fine. :)

here is a hole I Drilled yesterday all ready for the installer. Would there be enough clearance there you reckon for the cable & ODP or is it too near the skirting board you reckon?

I can always drill another hole higher up and just fill in the other hole if needs be.

483018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Overkill. The cable is about half as thick as a little finger - 6~7mm.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Overkill. The cable is about half as thick as a little finger - 6~7mm.

ah right , I dont mind the kango make masonry drill bit was on special offer in homebase for a fiver reduced from 24euro and i will be able to use it again on other projects ...

.... anyway , that aside - is the hole too near the skirting board or should I have drilled it higher?

ah right , I dont mind the kango make masonry drill bit was on special offer in homebase for a fiver reduced from 24euro and i will be able to use it again on other projects ...

.... anyway , that aside - is the hole too near the skirting board or should I have drilled it higher?

It should have been higher
    But let the installer make the hole he should be able to place the thing over to cover that hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I thought I would be royally screwed with the OE changes to data pricing but it turns out I only used 0.3TB all last month, and about as much to date this month. Not quite as heavy a user as I thought I'd be after waiting since 2014 for internet.

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    I thought I would be royally screwed with the OE changes to data pricing but it turns out I only used 0.3TB all last month, and about as much to date this month. Not quite as heavy a user as I thought I'd be after waiting since 2014 for internet.

I think it's mostly children who power through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There looks to be plenty of room. The most important criteria is really there being enough power sockets nearby.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement