Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Sorry if this is the wrong thread. We got our FTTH in a couple weeks before Christmas and the difference having it makes is incredible really. But consistently there's been tiny drop outs. They're so quick I only notice when watching a live stream or online gaming. The connection will drop just for a split second but it happens consistently every few minutes. It has no negative effect normally but it's a bit of a disaster when gaming or watching a live event where you need a steady connection. It happens both wired and wireless. Anyone else had this kind of problem? Could it be down to a faulty router at all? Speeds are perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

correction wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong thread. We got our FTTH in a couple weeks before Christmas and the difference having it makes is incredible really. But consistently there's been tiny drop outs. They're so quick I only notice when watching a live stream or online gaming. The connection will drop just for a split second but it happens consistently every few minutes. It has no negative effect normally but it's a bit of a disaster when gaming or watching a live event where you need a steady connection. It happens both wired and wireless. Anyone else had this kind of problem? Could it be down to a faulty router at all? Speeds are perfectly fine.

Are you connected wired or wirelessly to the router?

If wireless then it is likely a problem with the wireless connection.

Are you connected wired or wirelessly to the router?

If wireless then it is likely a problem with the wireless connection.

I notice it on PS4 and PC, which are both wired. I've tried the PS4 wireless but it's pretty much identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well it's not normal, I don't think I've lost connection once in the last 6 months.
    Can you still connect to the router when it happens? Does the admin page show a loss of connection when it happens?
    Maybe the router logs have some info.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

cnocbui wrote: »
    There looks to be plenty of room. The most important criteria is really there being enough power sockets nearby.

Thanks, i just put in a surface mounted double wall socket the area today.

• Advertisement

Engineer expected Friday to instal our FTTH (well, Survey rather but Digiweb says a lot of time if there is no problems and straight forward they will install on the same day) .

That was quick , only ordered it yesterday. router is being sent out by courier apparently...

if you suspect the router being at fault, just as a test take your WAN ethernet cable that comes out of the ONT and put it straight into your laptop, set the laptop ethernet card to wlan ID to 10 (you might have to set the connection to pppoe and username and password as well on the connection) but if its stable it might tell you the router is acting up cutting out the connection

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I notice it on PS4 and PC, which are both wired. I've tried the PS4 wireless but it's pretty much identical.

Is it an F2000 router that Eir supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Guys I’m in a serious predicament and I don’t know what other options I have.

Basically we are moving into a development that is being finished at the front of an existing estate. Currently in over 100 homes there’s FTTC.

I had ordered eir broadband for this new property 3 weeks ago and when kn came out there was no copper cabling present. Kn said this is something they used to do but now they aren’t allowed.

There is no option for me to get satellite or wireless in our area. Eir have flat out refused today to complete the order and they said it could take 6-9 months before it’s completed.

I work from home and I need a constant 10mb down and 2up. I really don’t know what options I have as openeir are refusing the work.

Does anyone have any suggestions or faced similar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Good man Andy!

300px-TBM_S-210_Alptransit_Faido_East.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

When the auld lad was preparing for FTTH the duct was blocked somewhere so he used the cable as a pull string for string to ensure all was clear.
    No worries as broadband is with imagine for now but he has gone to the effort of running fresh copper cable as far as the eir box in the ground outside so what I was wondering is when eir come out to run the fibre and all is ready will they reconnect the copper into their manhole/box in the ground.

I know eir allow the phone to go over voip too but is there any advantage keeping that part copper if the lot will be on UPS power inside regardless.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Andy don't touch the ONT :pac:

[QUOTE=tcawley29;110468935

P.S. Andy don't touch the ONT :pac:[/QUOTE]

I plan not to be having all that plethora of cables and boxes and everything on show, eventually I will box it all up, make up a cupboard/press for it , or just at least the ODP and ONT and the power supplies and cables and so the only thing on show is the wireless router - something like this:

483063.jpg

RVN10 wrote: »
    I work from home and I need a constant 10mb down and 2up. I really don’t know what options I have as openeir are refusing the work.

There was someone else in the exact same position a few weeks back but I can't find the post. All Open Eir are required to provide you with is a standard phone connection, which they can do over wireless. To them it makes no sense to go to the expense of laying new copper when they will be installing fibre direct to the home in the coming months or years. Eir is a private company and can't be forced to offer you a service.

tuxy wrote: »
    There was someone else in the exact same position a few weeks back but I can't find the post. All Open Eir are required to provide you with is a standard phone connection, which they can do over wireless. To them it makes no sense to go to the expense of laying new copper when they will be installing fibre direct to the home in the coming months or years. Eir is a private company and can't be forced to offer you a service.

The biggest issue I’m facing here is that they may not look at thee house 6-12 months apparently. This seems extreme to the highest order that they are prepared do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The biggest issue I’m facing here is that they may not look at thee house 6-12 months apparently. This seems extreme to the highest order that they are prepared do that.

Look at it from their perspective. There are thousands of homes in the exact same situation as yourselves. They can allocate funds to install copper drops that will only last a year or they can send the same crews out to work on poles/fibre that will be used for the next 20yrs.

If you're stuck then offer to pay the BB bill of the first neighbour to offer to share a connection with you.

ED E wrote: »
    Look at it from their perspective. There are thousands of homes in the exact same situation as yourselves. They can allocate funds to install copper drops that will only last a year or they can send the same crews out to work on poles/fibre that will be used for the next 20yrs.

If you're stuck then offer to pay the BB bill of the first neighbour to offer to share a connection with you.

I get ya Ed E but sharing my neighbors WiFi connection isn’t an option either as thru won’t be able to get it either

It's not extreme when there are hundreds of thousands of homes throughout the country with very limited options on internet. The government sold off the state owned infrastructure two decades ago.
    It's not just Open Eir, SIRO and Virgin have also decided not to provide network access to your house. For most people in that situation fixed wireless is the only option.

tuxy wrote: »
    Well it's not normal, I don't think I've lost connection once in the last 6 months.
    Can you still connect to the router when it happens? Does the admin page show a loss of connection when it happens?
    Maybe the router logs have some info.

I've never has any problems logging into the router and the event log never shows anything.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Is it an F2000 router that Eir supply?

Fritzbox from airwire.

Fritzbox from airwire.

Does the PON light on the ONT stay green at all times?

Airwire may be able to help, I've heard good feedback about their customer support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I get ya Ed E but sharing my neighbors WiFi connection isn’t an option either as thru won’t be able to get it either

Not what I meant.
    that is being finished at the front of an existing estate. Currently in over 100 homes there’s FTTC.

P2P link from the area of the estate that is served. Two Ubi Nanostations and an access point in your house. Easy peasy.

Hiya, would a company like digiweb.ie be able to help you with your prediciment?

20mbps Satellite broadband 44.95 p/m
    https://digiweb.ie/tooway-surfer-satellite-broadband/
    might be a delay / bad ping but if your not doing gaming it might be OK

or their FWA might be OK for you:
    30Mbps Download Speed 54.95 p/m
    https://digiweb.ie/metro-broadband/

Think they will just do 12month contracts , and by that time maybe open eir will get FTTC or FTTH sorted in your area.

By the way I dont work for Digiweb or have any connection with them (apart from I have just placed an order for FTTH with them just now) - I just though you might find the info helpful - both wont even need to use your telephone line (well the FWA definately wont - Satellite broadband used to have to use telephone line years ago for the upload , but I think that might of changed now and that the satellite dish serves both download and upload)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,361 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Tis great to see KN networks working in my area for the Fibre, they have a lot work to do.

At the moment they are opening man holes and running cables.

I was hoping they'd start with the house next to the exchange ie me but they are actually starting with the village first and working back it seems

Headshot wrote: »
    Tis great to see KN networks working in my area for the Fibre, they have a lot work to do.

At the moment they are opening man holes and running cables.

I was hoping they'd start with the house next to the exchange ie me but they are actually starting with the village first and working back it seems

In my village the anyone next to the exchange get FTTC up to 100mbps .... but drive a little out of the village up the rural roads and the 3m drop boxes are there for FTTH allowing (if someone wants it) up to 1Gbps (minimum of 150mbps connection)

- with shops and businesses in the actual centre of the village you imagine saying to them that they can only get 100mbps if they are right next to cabinet but houses up a rural road can get up to 1Gbps , but it seems thats the way the system is devised

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Fritzbox from airwire.

Hi,

if you have issues like that, please contact our support either via email or phone and we'll have a look, if we can see, what is causing this.

It's not an issue that is normal or that we are aware of.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

- with shops and businesses in the actual centre of the village you imagine saying to them that they can only get 100mbps if they are right next to cabinet but houses up a rural road can get up to 1Gbps , but it seems thats the way the system is devised

First of all ... the maximum speed here has nothing to do with it. How much does a business or a shop need ? 30-50 Mbit/s is more than sufficient for most people. For many years to come.

The reason, the system has been build like that is simple: OpenEIR have the copper in place and on short distances from the cabinet it is more cost efficient for them to roll out that particular product. With a firmware upgrade and possibly some linecard changes, they can even bring that up from 100 Mbit/s to 250 Mbit/s. So stop looking at headline figures.

As for rural homes ... to cover these using the copper infrastructure is simply not possible. So if new infrastructure has to be put into place and the fact, that OpenEIR already have a ducting and pole network in place ... FTTH is the most sensible approach. They can cover 20km from the exchange without loss of bandwidth on that.

OpenEIR had a budget for that build out. And if they had enabled all approx 2M premises (1.7M on VDSL and 300k on FTTH) that budget would have been blown completely out of proportions.

OpenEIR is a private business, that has to make money. And if they don't, then they'll go bust and you have nothing. They can't spend money they don't have.

Take SIRO on the other hand: they had no network at all to begin with. So of course all of their network is fibre from day one.

At the end of the day, it does not matter, if it is FTTC or FTTH, as long as the product delivers what you need. Even fixed wireless can do 50 and 100 Mbit/s consistently, if done right. And plenty of people choose that .... even if they can avail of FTTH ... because the cost in civils to fix their duct are too high or too intrusive ... or they are happy with what they have.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    First of all ... the maximum speed here has nothing to do with it. How much does a business or a shop need ? 30-50 Mbit/s is more than sufficient for most people. For many years to come.

The reason, the system has been build like that is simple: OpenEIR have the copper in place and on short distances from the cabinet it is more cost efficient for them to roll out that particular product. With a firmware upgrade and possibly some linecard changes, they can even bring that up from 100 Mbit/s to 250 Mbit/s. So stop looking at headline figures.

As for rural homes ... to cover these using the copper infrastructure is simply not possible. So if new infrastructure has to be put into place and the fact, that OpenEIR already have a ducting and pole network in place ... FTTH is the most sensible approach. They can cover 20km from the exchange without loss of bandwidth on that.

OpenEIR had a budget for that build out. And if they had enabled all approx 2M premises (1.7M on VDSL and 300k on FTTH) that budget would have been blown completely out of proportions.

OpenEIR is a private business, that has to make money. And if they don't, then they'll go bust and you have nothing. They can't spend money they don't have.

Take SIRO on the other hand: they had no network at all to begin with. So of course all of their network is fibre from day one.

At the end of the day, it does not matter, if it is FTTC or FTTH, as long as the product delivers what you need. Even fixed wireless can do 50 and 100 Mbit/s consistently, if done right. And plenty of people choose that .... even if they can avail of FTTH ... because the cost in civils to fix their duct are too high or too intrusive ... or they are happy with what they have.

/M

OK , all taken into account but it still does not paper over that our village shops and businesses will be served with the mixture of fibre and old copper wire technology, sre better than it was before with FWA to copper for PSTN and broadband which was shocking, but not as Ideal as totally fibre.

- I dont want to tackle your knowledge because you are more qualified than I am on Fibre and the infrastructure. But in laymans point of view surely you a better off to supply a premises totally in fibre and cut out the copper altogether for the future - we were already having the fibre cable brought to the village from another area in any case with the FTTC and FTTH and fibre is/will be the future .

Copper loses signal (or suffers from resistance and reduces speed when it comes to broadband) and whatever minuses copper has against fibre for communucation and speeds fall off the further you are away from the cabinet.

- my old house in the village was not really that far from the FTTC cabinet .. an availability check on the eir website tells me I could expect speeds of up to 20mbps there .. terrible loss of speed compared to someone being right near the FTTC box and getting 90-100mbps (in theory).

Never mind about whether 150mbps is overkill for people , it shouldnt even enter into it. My FTTH will be coming from the OLT next to the FTTC in the village. There are plenty of underground telecommunication chambers in the village under roads and paths , DP's could have been added inside them and give the village shops/businesses/house there facility (if they wanted it) for (at present) up to 1gbps broadband totally fibre to the premises (FTTH) and cut out any last leg copper

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

But in laymans point of view surely you a better off to supply a premises totally in fibre and cut out the copper altogether for the future - we were already having the fibre cable brought to the village from another area in any case with the FTTC and FTTH and fibre is/will be the future .

IF !!! you have the money to do that. OpenEIR clearly didn't have the budget to do that, when they did the rollout. This is not a technical exercise. This is a financial exercise.

Running the fibre is not all of the job. It is installing the DPs, splicing at each DP, having OLTs in the exchange with sufficient ports to provide all these premises etc. etc. etc. etc. Carolan Lennon made it very clear during her speech at the Mobile and Broadband Taskforce Forum: She was given a budget and what OpenEIR rolled out was within that budget. Not a cent more to be spend.

So they enabled as many premises as possible with whatever the feck they had. In any way, form or shape. To get them removed from the NBP intervention plan. Because here's the other thing: if they had not enabled the VDSL premises, that they did ... those 1.7M premises would also have been falling under the NBP. Apart from the ones that are covered by Virgin.

/M

• Advertisement

Hi,

if you have issues like that, please contact our support either via email or phone and we'll have a look, if we can see, what is causing this.

It's not an issue that is normal or that we are aware of.

Thank you Martin. I'll try a couple more things before contacting you. It's a weird one because I've seen no one online really having the same issue which is why I was almost hoping it may be a issue of a faulty router but even then it's not a suggestion I've seen via Google.

I'd blame my devices but I've been on different Xbox's, PS4's and PC's and they've all had the same issue playing games where I get disconnected from the game for just a couple seconds. Most games you just freeze for a second or 2 which is doable but FIFA for example kicks you out of the game when it happens which is the most annoying tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement