Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »
    IrishHomer reported Sky D2D sales active in his area. Im pretty sure its not just Eir retail using them.

We dont know what the retail breakdown is like but if I had to bet Eir would be the largest OE-FTTH retailer but not the majority.

I'd like to take that wager. I'd guess at >60% eir connections. This forum badly represents the general populations knowledge of other ISPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ED E wrote: »
    *waits for andy to dismantle his ONT to see the magic smoke inside*

ah no - i will leave well alone :D

i will have to box it all in though one day, hate all these leads and everything showing . looks untidy

What did the installer do with the copper cable he pulled out?

I understood they were not allowed to interfere with that.

Glad you finally got sorted! :)

put it back i suppose - it was never ever connected / live in this house ever anyway the PSTN line. just went into the chamber connected to ... er nothing!

Good to see you finally connected Andy. It's been some journey!

Good to see you finally connected Andy. It's been some journey!

really has, hasnt it - there were really times i thought it had been abandoned altogether to be honest. Thats how it kind of gets you, all the DP's and cabling put up a year ago and then coming to a full stop like that.

• Advertisement

Just been doing a couple of speedtest using fast.com speed checker with this 150mbps package (150/30) - this is wireless connection with a N adaptor in my win7 laptop and the Fritz! router

Theoretically 2.4Ghz will give you 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps under 2.4ghz
    when I connect through 2.4 connection and do 3 speed tests I am getting:

test 1.) 68mbps
    test 2.) 79mbps
    test 3.) 79mbps

and 25mbps upload

then when I switch to 5Ghz :

test 1.) 110mbps
    test 2.) 120mbps
    test 3.) 150mbps

upload 23mbps / 23mbps / 28mbps

I dont mind because I am blown away at present with speed - but just wondering why such a big diffrence between connected at 2.4ghz and 5ghz ?

and especially if you can get up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps speed on 2.4ghz , why am I getting the figure of 68-79mbps

any ideas please?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The higher the frequency, the greater the bandwidth.
    C(bps) = 2B * log2M (Nyquist): https://mason.gmu.edu/~rmorika2/Noise__Data_Rate_and_Frequency_Bandwidth.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

and especially if you can get up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps speed on 2.4ghz , why am I getting the figure of 68-79mbps

Only with the correct WIFI card and router are speeds even close to that possible in the real world on 802.11 n.

Most laptop come with a very cheap WIFI adaptor.

I don't understand why you are running speed tests when you want to check wifi connection speed.

Just bring up this window or download apps that can give you even more wifi data.

62263d1485962733t-wifi-speed-well-below-thereoretical-802-11ac-router.png

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Glad you got sorted you may be occasionally a wind up artist but you truly suffered waiting for fibre.
    The thing he was using to find your copper line was a tone and probe. One end makes the copper sing the other end is basically an antanne and speaker that can hear it without physically touching the copper. Every house should have one. Differences between 2.4ghz and 5ghz think of an accordion when it's compressed and the slats are closer together it's more dense (more bandwidth in a given space) tradeoff is range. 2.4ghz would be akin to pulling the accordion apart more distance but less dense (less bandwidth in a given space)
    That's a really simplistic view of it but probably the easiest way to visualise the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Just been doing a couple of speedtest using fast.com speed checker

That there .. that's your problem.

fast.com and the google speedtest are rubbish . They do not report proper figures most of the time.

Use Mozilla Firefox, do the speedtest on speedtest.net and make sure to select either the Blacknight (Carlow), Airwire (Galway) or Northwest Broadband (Sligo) Speedtest server.

Other servers may not have enough bandwidth themselves.

If you do anything else, you add a ton of variables. And yes .. you will probably never max the line on 2.4 GHz.

/M

• Advertisement

Just been doing a couple of speedtest using fast.com speed checker with this 150mbps package (150/30) - this is wireless connection with a N adaptor in my win7 laptop and the Fritz! router

Theoretically 2.4Ghz will give you 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps under 2.4ghz
    when I connect through 2.4 connection and do 3 speed tests I am getting:

test 1.) 68mbps
    test 2.) 79mbps
    test 3.) 79mbps

and 25mbps upload

then when I switch to 5Ghz :

test 1.) 110mbps
    test 2.) 120mbps
    test 3.) 150mbps

upload 23mbps / 23mbps / 28mbps

I dont mind because I am blown away at present with speed - but just wondering why such a big diffrence between connected at 2.4ghz and 5ghz ?

any ideas please?

http://www.mcsindex.com

Both sides of the link i.e. router and laptop have to support 450Mb. It's likely your laptop does not.

tuxy wrote: »
    Only with the correct WIFI card and router are speeds even close to that possible in the real world on 802.11 n.

Most laptop come with a very cheap WIFI adaptor.

I don't understand why you are running speed tests when you want to check wifi connection speed.

Just bring up this window or download apps that can give you even more wifi data.

62263d1485962733t-wifi-speed-well-below-thereoretical-802-11ac-router.png

Yes of course why didnt I check the speed from the laptop mto the router .. anyway just checked it now:

5ghz = 162.0mbps and 2.4ghz= 130.0mbps

oh yeah and its a A/B/G/N adaptor in this ol laptop no 802.11AC (might even be a pre-N in it)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yes of course why didnt I check the speed from the laptop mto the router .. anyway just checked it now:

5ghz = 162.0mbps and 2.4ghz= 130.0mbps

oh yeah and its a A/B/G/N adaptor in this ol laptop no 802.11AC (might even be a pre-N in it)

And those are raw speeds.

So your tcp throughput is lower.

/M

www.mcsindex.com

Both sides of the link i.e. router and laptop have to support 450Mb. It's likely your laptop does not.

true , its a trusty ol HP probook laptop with windows 7 - I should upgrade it to a new laptop but i cannot bring myself to part with this trusty one LOL :)

Did the installer use your massive hole Andy? ;)

haha yeah - and he filed it for me afterwards if u get my drift :eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

haha yeah - and he filed it for me afterwards if u get my drift :eek:

Nice of him to plug it for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

hahahaahha

he actually went better and complimented me on my hole ....

he actually went better and complimented me on my hole ....

Was he happy that your hole was all prepped and ready for action when he arrived?

• Advertisement

Actually serious question.

Did you get a chance to ask him about the very long delay with your area going live?

Actually serious question.

Did you get a chance to ask him about the very long delay with your area going live?

ya - i cant remember tho what the answer was .. bloody memory

ya - i cant remember tho what the answer was .. bloody memory

Is your day to day life similar to the main guy in the movie Memento? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Andy can't remember...

i cant remember if i have seen it :D

I should download it now I have fast internet :)

- shame I cannot upgrade my mind with fibre I feel like i am running at 3mbps most days

Hello all - what speed checkers are people on here using these days on FTTH for accuracy ?

Heres 3 ones that i know of I tried one after the other with differing results:

www.fast.com

483318.jpg

www.speedtest.net

483319.jpg

speedtest.googlefiber.net/

483320.jpg

and I was also wondering what has happened to all the Sligo servers now on speedtest.net now - I couldnt find any ?

I'm sure I am not dreaming this - I am pretty sure I see the installer put the end of the fibre cable after he stripped it into his mouth and lick it before putting the connector on :D

why ? - is it to clean it? - i mean he did have some alcohol wipes as well and wiped the fibre with them - is this an 'in-trade' secret to getting a good connection the licking of it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

anyone else on gigabit on the fedamore exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

i found fast .com lies to me at gigabit speeds
    usually use speedtest.net,
    sometimes i use public cloud servers i own

Hello all - what speed checkers are people on here using these days on FTTH for accuracy ?

Heres 3 ones that i know of I tried one after the other with differing results:

www.fast.com

483318.jpg

www.speedtest.net

483319.jpg

speedtest.googlefiber.net/

483320.jpg

and I was also wondering what has happened to all the Sligo servers now on speedtest.net now - I couldnt find any ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I'm sure I am not dreaming this - I am pretty sure I see the installer put the end of the fibre cable after he stripped it into his mouth and lick it before putting the connector on :D

why ? - is it to clean it? - i mean he did have some alcohol wipes as well and wiped the fibre with them - is this an 'in-trade' secret to getting a good connection the licking of it? :)

You sure this wasn't the short linking other fibre with the pre-mouded connector and he was just removing the dust cover with his teeth? I'm sure the single SC connector has a dust cover similar to the LC ones I use at work. There are tiny white end caps on the LC ones at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement