Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

MBSnr wrote: »
    You sure this wasn't the short linking other fibre with the pre-mouded connector and he was just removing the dust cover with his teeth? I'm sure the single SC connector has a dust cover similar to the LC ones I use at work. There are tiny white end caps on the LC ones at least.

could be , I wasnt concentrating enough, just saw out of the corner of my eye but he just done it before he plugged it in on DP and patch wire from ODP to ONT so yes, maybe thats what it was that he was removing the dust cap with his teeth - yes could be - that explains it then

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Image of inside a bpeo box
    Silver thing in the ribbon rack is 4 way splitter orange cable in which is for second set of 4 feeding 4 ports (note 4 coloured fibres coming out other side)
    A typical 8 port setup

You sure this wasn't the short linking other fibre with the pre-mouded connector and he was just removing the dust cover with his teeth? I'm sure the single SC connector has a dust cover similar to the LC ones I use at work. There are tiny white end caps on the LC ones at least.

so... there is this dust cap on the connector to stop dust getting on the tip of the fibre connection presumably as its got to be kept ultra clean ? from dust .... and er water and ..... er saliva???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Getting close now. Wire on the poles and the DPs are currently on the poles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Congratulations Andy! just logged back into the thread, haven't been here in a while and cant believe you finally got sorted!

Would you like to recap on your journey to this point? :D:D

• Advertisement

iPhone. wrote: »
    Congratulations Andy! just logged back into the thread, haven't been here in a while and cant believe you finally got sorted!

Would you like to recap on your journey to this point? :D:D

yeah I cannot believe it myself - didnt think it was ever going to be sorted out. I got to thinking that the DP on the poles were for cosmetic or torturing reasons - you know like I could see the DP on the pole oppsite our house and it was like laughing at me saying 'dream on sunshine, your never gonna get this' - or maybe that was just one of the voices in my head lol.

Now, I have it .. its OK , but I thought it would be tons better than it is. - I dunno why but am a bit disappointed or not as overwhelmed as I thought I would be.. I mean it should be , but sometimes it dont feel much faster that the 12mbps FWA that we had , still some sights lag and take a while to come up still and i didnt think that would still happen . Sometimes i think there are some dropouts but maybe its just in my head. .. but saying that uploading is brilliant so much faster now than the 2mbps i had before things really upload quicker.

Speedtest.net is giving me 106mbps down , 12ms, 28up .. I mean thats good I suppose but in real life it dont feel that fast ,and thats on wireless as well and with an old 802.11n in an old laptop (still havent tested it yet hard wired) - but you know its a 150mps service and I am getting 106mbps at best like , I know people would give right arm to have sppeds anywhere near that ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have a high spec desktop PC that's wired to the switch and also a low end laptop that's a few years old.
    What you are describing could be because of the laptop, that's my experience anyway.
    You now have a new bottleneck that is no longer your internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

so... there is this dust cap on the connector to stop dust getting on the tip of the fibre connection presumably as its got to be kept ultra clean ? from dust .... and er water and ..... er saliva???

Maybe he has massive teeth and thin lips...

You wouldn't use your teeth to remove the LC caps. They are very small and you could actually swallow them easily enough, while slobbering all over the fibre ends.
    I've not seen the SC dust caps but they'd be bigger so it's possible to do that I guess.
    https://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=6983

Anyhow Andy, you always have something to bring to this forum! :D

true , and a bit of a question mark with me anyway is the stability part. I know Gpon is a shared medium but i still thought speeds would be more stable with total fibre vs copper or copper/fibre mix. But like one minute I could do speed test and could be 103mbps .. the next speedtest it will be something like 74mbps - the ping and upload figures are roughly staying the same but the download speeds really is varying and alot on the speedtests I am doing .. not really as stable as I was expecting... then I think it could be because i am measuring whilst on a wi-fi connection , but then wondering why ping and upload pretty stable if it was interference over the wifi.

Just checked my wireless laptop to router speed and its good at 300mbps , so it should be good for a 150mbps fibre really, no bottleneck there it seems. Laptop has 4mb Ram and SSD drive so even though its old laptop its pretty responsive in other things i use it for.

483517.jpg

Anyhow Andy, you always have something to bring to this forum! :D

oh i do , and i knowi must sound like a right fanny keep on whingeing all the time :D

some poor sods on here are still most probably still waiting for their FTTH to become active in their area and heres me complaining!

• Advertisement

Anyone waiting for the NBP are in a desperate position.

Does the laptop have a gigabit Ethernet port? Would be worth connecting it directly to the router and doing a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Also 5GHz is quite weak so unless you're testing beside the router each time it is likely that the link rate is negotiating down from 300Mb as you move around the house. The wireless link rate will dynamically adjust to the signal rate at any instant. Digiweb also have their own Speedtest server so you should try that over several tests.

[QUOTE=tuxy;110520629 Does the laptop have a gigabit Ethernet port? Would be worth connecting it directly to the router and doing a test.[/QUOTE]

yes thats what i shall do when I get around to it. I still havent done any tests hard wired. yep its got a built in Marvell Yukon 88E8059 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller - maybe tomorrow i will give it a try.

483521.jpg

Also 5GHz is quite weak so unless you're testing beside the router each time it is likely that the link rate is negotiating down from 300Mb as you move around the house. The wireless link rate will dynamically adjust to the signal rate at any instant. Digiweb also have their own Speedtest server so you should try that over several tests.

I am getting a 404 error when i go on the digiweb speedtest page

http://speedtest.digiweb.ie/

. i have been trying to get it since having it installed but 404 every time. is it working for you by chance?

I am getting a 404 error when i go on the digiweb speedtest page

http://speedtest.digiweb.ie/

. i have been trying to get it since having it installed but 404 every time. is it working for you by chance?

I mean choose the Digiweb server on https://www.speedtest.net

I mean choose the Digiweb server on https://www.speedtest.net

ah right sorry, now I know what you mean.

was choosing airwire because server is in Galway which is nearer to me than Digiweb server in Dublin.

I havent a clue where the Sligo servers are gone on speedtest.net now , there was fastcom and westconnect i think - dont appear to be there now.

483528.jpg

483529.jpg

I suspect that Airwire test is the max you're going to get out of 5GHz WiFi N. I get similar limitations on N only devices and I'm on a 300Mb connection. You'll need to cable or upgrade the WiFi to get the extra 10Mb out of your line!

I'm not sure why the Digiweb test is so poor. It's not exactly peak usage time.

Yup odd, I'm getting 143 Mbps on the digiweb server right now. That's my max speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WhoJackie

After a lot of messing around, digging trench, cutting up concrete to install the duct, finally got the fiber in last week! It's been a long time coming.

On Fast dot com, getting 1GB per sec and as high as 4GB? Kind of odd, but not complaining! (Using ethernet)

Also, Is the Eir F2000 router capable of sending out gigabit? Or is it capped? (And is there a router available that will send out gigibit over wi-fi)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fritbox seem to be claiming some very fast speeds for their WiFi. Don't know if they are really achievable or not: https://www.amazon.de/s?k=fritzbox&__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

cnocbui wrote: »
    Fritbox seem to be claiming some very fast speeds for their WiFi. Don't know if they are really achievable or not: https://www.amazon.de/s?k=fritzbox&__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

wifi 6 is out now - if i was in the market for a new ap i'd be looking at something packing it...
    https://nasilemaktech.com/wifi-6-speed-test/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Be my guest. The article states there is only one router to choose from and that one is €548 - likely plus vat here, so €674.

WhoJackie wrote: »
    After a lot of messing around, digging trench, cutting up concrete to install the duct, finally got the fiber in last week! It's been a long time coming.

On Fast dot com, getting 1GB per sec and as high as 4GB? Kind of odd, but not complaining! (Using ethernet)

Also, Is the Eir F2000 router capable of sending out gigabit? Or is it capped? (And is there a router available that will send out gigibit over wi-fi)

glad u finally got it installed - you had to do some work there to install the duct and everything . was running overhead out of the frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

cnocbui wrote: »
    Be my guest. The article states there is only one router to choose from and that one is €548 - likely plus vat here, so €674.

A quick google and you'll find way cheaper options - reason I posted that was to demonstrate how much better the new wifi standard actually is. Of course there are very few clients that have wifi 6 - samsung s10 comes to mind. But give it a year and it will be ubiquitous. If i was in the market for a new router it's what i'd be looking at.

eg.
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07NCR8696?linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&creativeASIN=B07NCR8696&tag=geizhalspre03-21&ascsubtag=1iW3RB5ZnOief1Aq4Cfkbw

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Now, I have it .. its OK , but I thought it would be tons better than it is. - I dunno why but am a bit disappointed or not as overwhelmed as I thought I would be.. I mean it should be , but sometimes it dont feel much faster that the 12mbps FWA that we had , still some sights lag and take a while to come up still and i didnt think that would still happen.
    Try changing to a faster DNS. Cloudflare and Google resolve quite quickly, 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 respectively.
    SS6pqib.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭dam099

was choosing airwire because server is in Galway which is nearer to me than Digiweb server in Dublin.

I havent a clue where the Sligo servers are gone on speedtest.net now , there was fastcom and westconnect i think - dont appear to

Galway and Sligo servers might not be closer to you anyway if your ISP peers with Airwire etc in Dublin.

dam099 wrote: »
    Galway and Sligo servers might not be closer to you anyway if your ISP peers with Airwire etc in Dublin.

Any server with enough bandwidth should work, I think I get a consistent 143 Mbps with all servers based in Ireland at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭dam099

tuxy wrote: »
    Any server with enough bandwidth should work, I think I get a consistent 143 Mbps with all servers based in Ireland at least.

Ya agreed. Might add a ms or two to ping though.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

So I know it's getting to be like a broken record but any updates on the national broadband plan in light of today's news releating to a lack of budget surplus? Is the go ahead with granahan mcCourt a done deal or is fg doing the usual pussyfooting around until people hopefully stop bringing it up?

• Advertisement

babi-hrse wrote: »
    So I know it's getting to be like a broken record but any updates on the national broadband plan in light of today's news releating to a lack of budget surplus? Is the go ahead with granahan mcCourt a done deal or is fg doing the usual pussyfooting around until people hopefully stop bringing it up?

Any info people have about that topic can be found here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057332672&page=633

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement