Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WhoJackie

glad u finally got it installed - you had to do some work there to install the duct and everything . was running overhead out of the frame?
    Thanks - Yeah, a lot of messing around and expense, and then there's an installation fee on top of that (madness) The KN guys showed up for a survey ad ruled out the overhead option, but I would have been happy to have a line overhead coming in.

Do you happen to know if the F2000 Router is capped over wi-fi?

I spotted a discounted TP Link Gigabit router going in Tesco today for €35, I think I'll be picking it up (£70 on Amazon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

WhoJackie wrote: »
    Thanks - Yeah, a lot of messing around and expense, and then there's an installation fee on top of that (madness) The KN guys showed up for a survey ad ruled out the overhead option, but I would have been happy to have a line overhead coming in.

I spotted a discounted TP Link Gigabit router going in Tesco today for €35, I think I'll be picking it up (£70 on Amazon)

The F2000 will do about 250Mb max over WiFi.

Make sure the router you purchase supports VLAN tagging on WAN or it will not work with your connection. A lot of the cheaper TP-Link units don't do tagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Capped? No
    But I found it's WIFI performance poor, wired it worked just fine.
    Check reviews on the TP Link model before buying and it need to do vlan on the WAN port if you want to completely replace the f2000.

If you really want great WIFI performance I'd recommend this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=unifi&qid=1561494644&s=gateway&sr=8-1
    Connected to the F2000

The F2000 will do about 250Mb max over WiFi.

Make sure the router you purchase supports VLAN tagging on WAN or it will not work with your connection. A lot of the cheaper TP-Link units don't do tagging.

Thanks for the info, so potentially the wi-fi speed could be better providing the new router is up to it?

Pretty sure it was a TP Link AC750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router,

''With 433Mbps wireless speeds over the crystal clear 5GHz band and 300Mbps over the 2.4GHz band,''

would it be an improvement over the F2000? Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninkel

Extract from Irish Examiner today:

Eir is “certain” it could roll out a national broadband plan for Ireland for under €1bn, a committee has heard.

Eir CEO Carolan Lennon, appeared before an Oireachtas committee investigating the National Broadband Plan (NBP) process and how to roll out rural broadband across the country to more than 540,000 properties.

Ms Lennon told members her company could complete the infrastructure to “every home and farm” in Ireland at a much lower cost than the government’s plan, which could cost the taxpayer up to €3bn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We replaced the F2000 with a TP-Link AC1750 because the F2000 kept crashing and the WiFi performance was poor. The F2000 is connected behind the 1750 to service the VOIP phone connection.

tuxy wrote: »
    Capped? No
    But I found it's WIFI performance poor, wired it worked just fine.
    Check reviews on the TP Link model before buying and it need to do vlan on the WAN port if you want to completely replace the f2000.

If you really want great WIFI performance I'd recommend this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=unifi&qid=1561494644&s=gateway&sr=8-1
    Connected to the F2000
    Thanks for the Ubiquiti Suggestion, so that just goes into one of the ethernet ports and you're away?

Thanks for the Ubiquiti Suggestion, so that just goes into one of the ethernet ports and you're away?

It comes with a POE injection

poe3_1_1.jpg

You plug that into a power socket and then run an ethernet cable to the lan port on the F2000 and the other cable will provide power and data to the unifi WIFI.

That way you only have to run one cable if you want to relocate your WIFI to somewhere more central but if you want to leave it right beside the F2000 that's fine too.

You then install UNIFI controller software on a laptop or PC and it will find the WIFI device and walk you through setup. Just standard stuff like WIFI name and password.
    Once setup you don't need to use the software again unless you want to change setting or see who is using the WIFI.
    It can also do lots of cool things like having a different network for the kids that turns off at a certain time. Loads of features that you can find out about from youtube videos but of course you don't need to go that deep into as it can just work as a very basic stable WIFI device if that's all you need.

Thanks for the info, so potentially the wi-fi speed could be better providing the new router is up to it?

Pretty sure it was a TP Link AC750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router,

''With 433Mbps wireless speeds over the crystal clear 5GHz band and 300Mbps over the 2.4GHz band,''

would it be an improvement over the F2000? Any help would be appreciated.

That's not great really as an upgrade. Generally divide the quoted speeds by 2 for real world wireless performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Try changing to a faster DNS. Cloudflare and Google resolve quite quickly, 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 respectively.
    SS6pqib.png?1

thank you - have just inputted that now to give it a try..

EDIT:Just to confirm, do I put all 1's in the Preferred DNSv4 server and then all 8's in the Alternative DNSv4 server boxes?

• Advertisement

thank you - have just inputted that now to give it a try

The DNS is only for converting domain names to IP address, it may speed things up by a second when you first visit a site but should make no difference to throughput.

It comes with a POE injection

poe3_1_1.jpg

You plug that into a power socket and then run an ethernet cable to the lan port on the F2000 and the other cable will provide power and data to the unifi WIFI.

That way you only have to run one cable if you want to relocate your WIFI to somewhere more central but if you want to leave it right beside the F2000 that's fine too.

You then install UNIFI controller software on a laptop or PC and it will find the WIFI device and walk you through setup. Just standard stuff like WIFI name and password.
    Once setup you don't need to use the software again unless you want to change setting or see who is using the WIFI.
    It can also do lots of cool things like having a different network for the kids that turns off at a certain time. Loads of features that you can find out about from youtube videos but of course you don't need to go that deep into as it can just work as a very basic stable WIFI device if that's all you need.

Cheers for the info, I think this might be a good option!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fieldofsheep

I've just switched from Eir to Vodafone for my FTTH connection - I had posted earlier wondering what I'd get for my €99 switching fee (which is discounted from OpenEir's €170 switching AFAIK).

Got a call yesterday from OpenEir confirming the switchover, and another call this morning from the KN Networks engineer confirming my address.  The switchover basically consisted of plugging in the pre-configured Vodafone Gigabox router into the ONT, no work on the DP.  While he was there I asked him to change the ODP (where the external fibre cable terminates) as it had been damaged during some building work, which he did no problem.  He also did a small bit of work to improve the signal coming in as it was a bit weak, possibly due to dust in the ODP.

I have my own router/wifi setup (Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X and Unifi wifi) and I asked him for the PPPOE details in setting it up - he wasn't sure and said I'd have to contact Vodafone for them, but I managed to find them in a previous post (Username: Gigabox_Serial_Number@vfieftth.ie, password: broadband).  This did the trick, so the Gigabox is back in its box already.

Speeds and ping times are similar to what I had on the Eir 300mb package.  All in all it was a fairly seamless switchover - to be honest, they could have just sent the modem and a set of instructions that even a non-technical person could have followed.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Might have fixed my disconnecting issue. I had a couple of powerlines still plugged in from our previous broadband but they weren't in use, I hadn't gotten rid of them from laziness tbh. I noticed in the router log that every 10 mins or so it was reporting that the powerlines were connected which I found odd so I removed them and there hasn't been as issue since.

I have no idea why that would have been causing a problem but I don't care if it's fixed it. I won't count my chickens just yet but I did that about a week ago now and it's been perfect since.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

correction wrote: »
    Might have fixed my disconnecting issue. I had a couple of powerlines still plugged in from our previous broadband but they weren't in use, I hadn't gotten rid of them from laziness tbh. I noticed in the router log that every 10 mins or so it was reporting that the powerlines were connected which I found odd so I removed them and there hasn't been as issue since.

I have no idea why that would have been causing a problem but I don't care if it's fixed it. I won't count my chickens just yet but I did that about a week ago now and it's been perfect since.

Could have been a broadcast storm?
    If you have say a network cable plugged into a device on the other end that connects to switch or router then another cable from router to powerline adapter over to other adapter which could be plugged into the same. In essence creating a loop for the router to hear its own announcements and replying to itself over and over until it can't handle anymore. Routers are noisy things and constantly say all sorts over their network if there's a second return path back to itself it won't shut down or ignore that it will reply to it and keep it running around until it's time to live times out this is like having more and more cars go onto a roundabout and drive around without getting off pretty soon it can bring the network to a halt or slow it down dramatically.
    Fun fact wanna drive a network admin crazy find an unmanaged ethernet switch and plug two ends of a cat5 cable into it and watch the computers start locking up in a matter of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Could have been a broadcast storm?
    If you have say a network cable plugged into a device on the other end that connects to switch or router then another cable from router to powerline adapter over to other adapter which could be plugged into the same. In essence creating a loop for the router to hear its own announcements and replying to itself over and over until it can't handle anymore. Routers are noisy things and constantly say all sorts over their network if there's a second return path back to itself it won't shut down or ignore that it will reply to it and keep it running around until it's time to live times out this is like having more and more cars go onto a roundabout and drive around without getting off pretty soon it can bring the network to a halt or slow it down dramatically.
    Fun fact wanna drive a network admin crazy find an unmanaged ethernet switch and plug two ends of a cat5 cable into it and watch the computers start locking up in a matter of minutes.

That actually sounds very plausible. I had two powerline adapters plugged into the router with the other ends in two different rooms on the other side of the house. When the fibre was installed initially I just automatically connected the powerlines into the router assuming I would still be using them but when I set up the devices in the other rooms I unplugged the adapters just so I could test the wifi which was fine so I never bothered connecting them again.

This in essence left me with a single powerline connection going from the router to, well, the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Has anyone had any experience with the Fritz!box 1750E Wlan repeater? For anyone that got a Fritz!box from digiweb or Airwire it seems to be a neat way to create a mesh network in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

thank you - have just inputted that now to give it a try..

EDIT:Just to confirm, do I put all 1's in the Preferred DNSv4 server and then all 8's in the Alternative DNSv4 server boxes?

Depends on who you choose, I used only cloudflare for main and secondary so their main one is 1.1.1.1 and their secondary is 1.0.0.1. For Google's public DNS only you would use 8.8.8.8 as the main one and 8.8.4.4 for the secondary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Airwire listed as "Coming Soon". Happy days, I'll finally have decent internet when I come home to my parents :pac:

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1143866516116557825

Would put open eir at around 65000 assuming no other FTTH providers are counted in the Comreg figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1143866516116557825

Would put open eir at around 65000 assuming no other FTTH providers are counted in the Comreg figures.
    Their main complain from what I can gleam from the article is that eir made an area around towns that would make it more costly for them to get into the deep rural areas.

Tough ****? It means Eir were able to complete in the years since they announced the rollout in 2015 what SIRO would only be starting work on around now assuming that the bidding process had multiple bidders left and went fairly, meaning many homes that do have Fibre now wouldn't.

It's a shame for those in the NBP areas that it ultimately led to delays and controversy, but better 300,000 people were spared an extra needless delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Not biased but I've seen a good few people with sirio ftth get a copper BB line back in in areas around naas I mean you'd have to have some complaints with the service to want to go back to copper some only getting 30mpbs and they wanted to go back. are sirio dealing with teething issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Does anyone know what the maximum distance they will run this connection from the distribution point. Theres a black box on a pole about 100m away from my house and when i use my eircode on the checker it says im covered. This is the only black box up on the poles and im hoping that it will cover my house.

Video wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the maximum distance they will run this connection from the distribution point. Theres a black box on a pole about 100m away from my house and when i use my eircode on the checker it says im covered. This is the only black box up on the poles and im hoping that it will cover my house.

I think 150m is the stated max distance but they have probably gone further in certain instances. If the checkers say you're covered you should be connected.

Technically is there a max distance for drop cables? I guess it may depend on how strong the signal is at the DP.
    Once there are sufficient poles along the path to support the cable they can probably cover a very long distance.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Not biased but I've seen a good few people with sirio ftth get a copper BB line back in in areas around naas I mean you'd have to have some complaints with the service to want to go back to copper some only getting 30mpbs and they wanted to go back. are sirio dealing with teething issues?

It's hardly teething issues. They've been operating for five years. It's pretty much the same system as open eir so I'd tend to think it's user failure rather than any issue with SIRO.

30 Mbps is probably fine for many households right now so the deciding factor could be cost for them.

Technically is there a max distance for drop cables? I guess it may depend on how strong the signal is at the DP.
    Once there are sufficient poles along the path to support the cable they can probably cover a very long distance.

Technically as long as the total path from the OLT is less than 20km there should be no limit on drop cable length.

Practically they don't want installers climbing multiple poles to fit brackets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Depends on who you choose, I used only cloudflare for main and secondary so their main one is 1.1.1.1 and their secondary is 1.0.0.1. For Google's public DNS only you would use 8.8.8.8 as the main one and 8.8.4.4 for the secondary

great, thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement