Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Video wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the maximum distance they will run this connection from the distribution point. Theres a black box on a pole about 100m away from my house and when i use my eircode on the checker it says im covered. This is the only black box up on the poles and im hoping that it will cover my house.

you could be like what it is in my situation - havent measured it but a drop box is on a wooden pole quite a bit up the road from my house .... yet outside my house in a pavement I have an underground vault (chamber) with another DP box in it under the cast iron cover - check to see if you have a eir/eircom chamber in a path/road/pavement near your house too and maybe it will have a DP in that, and maybe thats what they will connect you to

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Max distance is 500 a roll of fibre is only 500m
    Generally 7 poles and a drop poles tend to be 50m apart it's just the longer it is the more the likelihood theres gonna be an issue somewhere done plenty of 400m jobs

I noticed the other day I have a telephony VOIP number assigned in my FritzBox.. I never took the VOIP package from my ISP which was only 10eur extra on top of the FTTH package - although its cheap enough I just thought it would be a waste reallty as i use Skype and facebook voice calling these days really on the whole to phone family and friends and also have a bill pay mobile with certain amount of calls and texts per month.

but anyway i was in the settings of the Fritz box and i see this telephone number assigned in it (stating with 071, our area code if I had a PSTN line) ... and the box also has an answering machine built in and electronics to use the fritz box as a DECT base (nice router TBF) and I though well that would hardly work because we havent taken out the VIOP package. - but just as a test I attached a phone lead to the FON socket of the FritzBox and tried dialling it with my mobile phone .. and low & behold to my surprise the phone rang! - then I set up the answering machine part on the FritzBox and tried ringing that number again and the answering machine in the Fritz Box answered the call and recorded the call .

Only thing I havent tried, but itching to, is calling out on that number stored in the Fritz Box because I am wondering that if you call out on it would the ISP pick up on it and start charging the extra 10euro a month for voice calls on top of the FTTH package then. Would anyone know? - if I get in touch with the ISP they might realise and say it was a maistake it was on there and then might decide to disable it or remove it for incoming calls maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would wait until I got a couple of bills from the ISP before doing anything ...... to ensure the cost of the phone is not added or included.
    If you use it then you have accepted it ...... if not used it you can point out their error.

On the other hand it might well be included in what you signed up for ......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

On Airwire's site what's the difference between

Coming soon & available soon, mine says available but mentioned elsewhere as coming. Just paraphrasing of posters or what.

• Advertisement

I would wait until I got a couple of bills from the ISP before doing anything ...... to ensure the cost of the phone is not added or included.
    If you use it then you have accepted it ...... if not used it you can point out their error.

On the other hand it might well be included in what you signed up for ......

good idea yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Varik wrote: »
    On Airwire's site what's the difference between

Coming soon & available soon, mine says available but mentioned elsewhere as coming. Just paraphrasing of posters or what.

There is "Coming soon" and "Available". There is no "Available soon".

And what are you looking at ? VDSL or FTTH ?

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    There is "Coming soon" and "Available". There is no "Available soon".

And what are you looking at ? VDSL or FTTH ?

/M

483772.JPG

i'm almost sure there was an 'available soon' on mine near to the end - was getting very excited about it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ah .. that means, your premise has been indexed for FTTH. But there's no date for rollout available yet.

Could be 2-6 months. Probably more like 2 months since they're at the end of the deadline.

I think the page was changed at some stage and it used to be "Coming soon" and was changed to "Available soon". It means the same thing.

/M

• Advertisement

i'm almost sure there was an 'available soon' on mine near to the end - was getting very excited about it

Showed up this week so hopefully, was meant to be December last then changed to first half 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Showed up this week so hopefully, was meant to be December last then changed to first half 2019

Same as yourself. Auld lad reckons there is plenty of eir lads about these days near us

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭f0zzy

Airwire is showing available date of 10/7 - so finally looks like we'll get FTTH ... openeir shows 1st half of 2019 ... and so low and behold I get a letter from Eir saying I can order 100Mb FTTH now.

So made me wonder ...

Do Eir get a jump on other providers (despite fact that Eir retail / Openeir are "different companies") ?

Why limit to 100Mb ?

Last question - (may be answered already) - do they only run the last connection pole-house when an order is made ? I ask because there is no activity in the neighbourhood despite it showing available 10/7.

tx

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

f0zzy wrote: »
    Do Eir get a jump on other providers (despite fact that Eir retail / Openeir are "different companies") ?
    No. When eir tell you you can order now, what they mean is that you can place an order with them and they'll sit on it until July 10th which is the earliest that they in turn can place the order with open eir.

There's nothing to stop any other provider from taking an order from you now. Airwire are just being more open about the fact that nothing will happen with that order until the tenth.
    Why limit to 100Mb ?
    There's no such thing as 100Mb FTTH.
    Last question - (may be answered already) - do they only run the last connection pole-house when an order is made ?

Of course - why would they run a fibre to your house unless you had placed an order?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭f0zzy

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No. When eir tell you you can order now, what they mean is that you can place an order with them and they'll sit on it until July 10th which is the earliest that they in turn can place the order with open eir.

There's nothing to stop any other provider from taking an order from you now. Airwire are just being more open about the fact that nothing will happen with that order until the tenth. There's no such thing as 100Mb FTTH.

Of course - why would they run a fibre to your house unless you had placed an order?

Thanks OscarBravo - I figured as much re running the line just wanted to confirm.

The Eir letter clearly says "Unlimited eir fibre broadband up to 100Mb speeds" so I assume they are restricting it in their offer even though if its fibre then in theory could go a lot faster.

The Eir letter clearly says "Unlimited eir fibre broadband up to 100Mb speeds" so I assume they are restricting it in their offer even though if its fibre then in theory could go a lot faster.

When eir (and some other providers) talk about "fibre up to 100Mb/s", they're talking about fibre to the cabinet, not fibre to the home. It's a misleading marketing tactic that for some reason is deemed perfectly acceptable in this country, especially considering that "up to 100Mb/s" can mean "as little as 4Mb/s", depending where you live.

Why limit to 100Mb ?

yep that figure is FTTC - fibre to the cabinet and then carries on to its destination by copper phone cable (losing speed the further away you get from the cabinet , and susceptible to interference)

was so funny in my area. I (as some others in our area) had a fixed dish wireless broadband at 12mbps down (on a good day, normally when hardly anyone else was on mybe 2am in the morning!) ... then the FTTH cable was run across the wooden poles and the black 3M DP boxes went up on the poles ..... then nada / nothing for 12months (think there was some big issue or were waiting for a OLT exchange cabinet to be installed in our village)
    But then .. out of the blue 'Fibre is available in your area' .. but it was only FTTC (fibre to the cabinet - and the rest run by the copper phone line, so VDSL) but when I checked what the download speed would be at my address on 'fibre checker' it reported that 7mbps would be available at my address !! - bare in mind on a good day (or at times) I was getting 12mbps from my fixed dish (FWA) broadband. so that would have been going backwards.

Then I got info from my FWA suppliers that 'if I signed up for another 18 months with them' I could have to dish replaced free of charge and get up to 20mbps download - I didnt want to sign up for another 18 months , not knowing/hoping that hopefully fibre to the home was just around the corner for us , so I kept onto the 12mbps .

Then signs outside our house on streetlamps 'Imagine Broadband now available in your area!' and a leaflet through the door. I dont know what system they run on (presuming 4G maybe) so I avoided that too.

And then finally after all the wait of seeing those DP boxes and fibre on the poles for a year ( driving past them every day , almost like tormenting me) a couple of weeks ago FTTH was finally showing up as available - feels like a long journey.

I know others now though who see the black DP boxes going up now though, dont worry you wont have to wait a year for it to become available (i'm sure/hope) - it just seemed to be our area I think that was long time coming after the hardware was put up on the poles I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

A year to wait - christ, my DP is up outside my house only 2 weeks and i'm checking every other day!

I placed my FTTH order in November 2017. My latest forecast is end of August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Max distance is 500 a roll of fibre is only 500m
    Generally 7 poles and a drop poles tend to be 50m apart it's just the longer it is the more the likelihood theres gonna be an issue somewhere done plenty of 400m jobs
    That's interesting. I'm exactly 7 poles away from the last DP. Distance to house measures at 350m. But I show up that's it's not available.

I assume the trick here is to find a small Kerry ISP that would intercede on my behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

KOR101 wrote: »
    That's interesting. I'm exactly 7 poles away from the last DP. Distance to house measures at 350m. But I show up that's it's not available.

I assume the trick here is to find a small Kerry ISP that would intercede on my behalf.

Worth a try I guess. But if you're not included in the build there may not be anything they can do.

Physically yes you can get it.
    But if your not indexed no chance of it. Eir sales will try sell you anything but if they can't reconcile your address with the dp they'll be like sorry computer says no and take it no further. You'll have to find yourself someone high up in openeir to wrangle your eircode in.

It used to be possible to cajole premises onto the rollout if they were somewhere close, but for at least the last six months it has been a straight "hell no" to any such requests, no matter who you talk to.

if a nearby or next door neighbours eircode was on the system but you wasnt , but they did not want to avail of FTTH / order FTTH could you not use their eircode to order but have the fibre re-routed to come into your house instead of them? ... or would that not work?

if a nearby or next door neighbours eircode was on the system but you wasnt , but they did not want to avail of FTTH / order FTTH could you not use their eircode to order but have the fibre re-routed to come into your house instead of them? ... or would that not work?

Sometimes people try but we pull up and knock on the door of the given eircode only to be told oh no it's my son's house next door. A quick look on eircheck shows the true address. Job gets failed due to incorrect eircode given. The fibre is going to be around for the next 50 if not 100 years people will sell their homes or move on. You can't just start putting fibre lines for one address into another itd cause havoc.
    The theory is what we've been told anyway if you blag an eircode with an available port you've taken a line from your neibhour. Imagine seeing ftth is available to you
    Putting in an order only to be told it's full or your eircode has it or someone coming out and pulling a fibre cable out to put theirs in as per the order somebody is gonna be pissed. Honestly I don't know what case would happen as it hasn't happened cause it isn't allowed happen. They're really strict on that.
    I wouldn't use someone else's house as an anchor point to get a fibre line to someone further on up.youd have falling outs in families and them cutting the fibre off their house leaving no way to replace the line as access is refused yet there's a bill payer without service.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

can anyone tell me what website this is? its not ireland offline or fibrerollout.ie by the looks of it. I saw this in another thread

ZQdXg3H.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Video wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what website this is? its not ireland offline or fibrerollout.ie by the looks of it. I saw this in another thread

It used to be https://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/ -> NGA Fibre Broadband Network

Looks like it's been replaced with the rollout map on https://fibrerollout.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KBY4dzQh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭John mac

dp was fitted across from the house last week , now to see holw long it takes .. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement