Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

John mac wrote: »
    dp was fitted across from the house last week , now to see holw long it takes .. :)

hopefully not to long .. have faith - your in a good position they have some kind of deadline at the moment i think

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

The boxes were installed on our road about 3 months ago now, but only recently has my postcode showed up as available soon on airwires website. Hopefully it will be time soon, what's this deadline they have what date is it?

anyone else notice the error in this @ https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

484116.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Ignore my last post I just checked Airwire's website and my postcode finally shows FTTH will be available on 24th of this month!! Am I able to pre-order or do I have to wait for this date to come first to be able to place an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Getting prepared for the next phase of the rural FTTH rollout: we and the neighbours just missed out on the current rollout. OE ran fibre up the road [incidentally not on their map] at the end of our lane, but no spur for us.
    There are 4 recent houses; all with copper installed. The copper runs on 2 poles, then a duct to the first house, then a duct to a manhole for the other 3 houses.We are just over 500m from the nearest DP. I'm thinking they would put a DP on the second pole and then run a fibre cable to each house. About right?
    We are thinking of running draw strings through the ducts to make us look more attractive when we finally get a site visit. Does this make sense?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Just wondering what kind of routers the ISPs are giving their customers on Openeir's FTTH these days, anyone have any more insight than what I could find so far?

Provider|Router

Airwire|Fritzbox 7530?
    Bbnet|
    chillwifi|
    Digiweb|Fritzbox 7530?
    Eir|Eir F2000
    Fastcom|
    ifa Telecom|
    ivertec|
    lightnet|
    Magnet|
    Net1|
    Pure Telecom|
    Regional Broadband|
    Sky|Sky Hub
    Rocket Broadband|
    Vodafone|Vodafone Gigabox?
    Westnet|Fritzbox 7530
    Wirelessconnect|

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Just wondering what kind of routers the ISPs are giving their customers on Openeir's FTTH these days, anyone have any more insight than what I could find so far?

Provider|Router

Airwire|Fritzbox 7530?
    Bbnet|
    chillwifi|
    Digiweb|Fritzbox 7530?
    Eir|Eir F2000
    Fastcom|
    ifa Telecom|
    ivertec|
    lightnet|
    Magnet|
    Net1|
    Pure Telecom|
    Regional Broadband|
    Sky|Sky Hub
    Rocket Broadband|
    Westnet|Fritzbox 7530
    Wirelessconnect|

with Digiweb - and got to admit it i find the FritzBox 7530 a nice bit of kit to be honest , loads of features and seems good range .. there is only one tablet upstairs that is a bit thin on signal (not a samsung or anything , a cheap china make) but i might put a extender on the landing one day to help it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

JonMac wrote: »
    Getting prepared for the next phase of the rural FTTH rollout: we and the neighbours just missed out on the current rollout. OE ran fibre up the road [incidentally not on their map] at the end of our lane, but no spur for us.
    There are 4 recent houses; all with copper installed. The copper runs on 2 poles, then a duct to the first house, then a duct to a manhole for the other 3 houses.We are just over 500m from the nearest DP. I'm thinking they would put a DP on the second pole and then run a fibre cable to each house. About right?
    We are thinking of running draw strings through the ducts to make us look more attractive when we finally get a site visit. Does this make sense?
    Thanks.

What phase are you referring to? There has been no announcement about eir extending their rural build.

You are likely in the NBP intervention area so as it stands currently it would be NBI that would be connecting you.

As to your question, they may place a DP on the pole you refer to but could also place it underground. It would depend on the plan for the area. As the homes are relatively recent the ducting should be clear.

Yes, I know OE has not announced a second rural phase. The K&N lad installing the DP boxes said he thought they would likely come back and pick up low hanging fruit like us after the new urban phase.
    It seems to me that a cost conscious NBP manager would pay OE to hook us up rather. than duplicate OE's infrastructure; dreaming I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

I have been contacting open eir on twitter in relation to existing rural broadband rollout, and what happens to households that are on that plan but not connected.. below is what was said to me last week...

"Hi Ciaran, we are working hard to connect the remaining premises agreed under our 300k rollout agreement. Due to the complexity of the solution there are a small percentage of premises that will be delivered throughout the summer and will be completed by September. We are currently looking at each cluster of premises remaining to give an adequate response with regards to each individual situation. I should have more information on this next week. Thank you for your continued patience."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Yes, I know OE has not announced a second rural phase. The K&N lad installing the DP boxes said he thought they would likely come back and pick up low hanging fruit like us after the new urban phase.
    It seems to me that a cost conscious NBP manager would pay OE to hook us up rather. than duplicate OE's infrastructure; dreaming I suppose!
    The urban plan is a five year plan, so that would be some wait.

Also, the NBI plan is indeed to duplicate some of OE's infrastructure. They plan to run their own fibre, and presumably spur off with a new DP for you. Your best hope is that Eir announce another phase of their rural rollout to try and stymie the NBP.

theduffer wrote: »
    I have been contacting open eir on twitter in relation to existing rural broadband rollout, and what happens to households that are on that plan but not connected.. below is what was said to me last week...

"Hi Ciaran, we are working hard to connect the remaining premises agreed under our 300k rollout agreement. Due to the complexity of the solution there are a small percentage of premises that will be delivered throughout the summer and will be completed by September. We are currently looking at each cluster of premises remaining to give an adequate response with regards to each individual situation. I should have more information on this next week. Thank you for your continued patience."

Wow, the fact you actually got an answer back from open eir on twitter and a pretty extensive one at that I find amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

KOR101 wrote: »
    The urban plan is a five year plan, so that would be some wait.

Also, the NBI plan is indeed to duplicate some of OE's infrastructure. They plan to run their own fibre, and presumably spur off with a new DP for you. Your best hope is that Eir announce another phase of their rural rollout to try and stymie the NBP.

You might think that the idea of doing things in parallel might occur to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

AirBiscuit wrote: »

Provider|Router

Airwire|Fritzbox 7530?
    Bbnet|
    chillwifi|
    Digiweb|Fritzbox 7530?
    Eir|Eir F2000
    Fastcom|
    ifa Telecom|
    ivertec|
    lightnet|
    Magnet|
    Net1|
    Pure Telecom|
    Regional Broadband|
    Sky|Sky Hub
    Rocket Broadband|
    Westnet|Fritzbox 7530
    Wirelessconnect|

beauty of FTTH is that you dont even need to take it out of the box right

im using a unifi security gateway

Just in case some people dont know there is a windows (and mac I suppose) desktop version of speedtest<dot>net - its supposed to be more reliable than the online version and its 'speedo' dial goes up to 500mbps whereas the online one goes up to 100mbps

windows 7 64bit:
    http://install.speedtest.net/app/windows/latest/speedtestbyookla_x64.msi

Windows 7 32bit:
    http://install.speedtest.net/app/windows/latest/speedtestbyookla_x86.msi

Windows 10 app:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/speedtest-by-ookla/9nblggh4z1jc

a lot of people on here most probably know about the desktop version , but there might be some people who have just had FTTH installed and come onto this thread and not know about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

I am finding it hard to see any Eir Broadband only FTTH plans online. I only see the packages containing off peak calls etc. Do they do a stand alone broadband option. I currently have simply broadband from them and fingers crossed any day now I’ll be able to order FTTH. Trying to work out the best option among all the providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

medoc wrote: »
    I am finding it hard to see any Eir Broadband only FTTH plans online. I only see the packages containing off peak calls etc. Do they do a stand alone broadband option. I currently have simply broadband from them and fingers crossed any day now I’ll be able to order FTTH. Trying to work out the best option among all the providers.

They don't have them on their site. The various packages are in the price list pdf on page 3 under eir Fibre Standalone eir Broadband

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

It's often better value to order a bundle for the initial 12 months then cancel the phone or move altogether.

They don't have them on their site. The various packages are in the price list pdf on page 3 under eir Fibre Standalone eir Broadband

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

It's often better value to order a bundle for the initial 12 months then cancel the phone or move altogether.

Thanks for that Navi. Yes the 300 meg with phone package is actually less than what I’m paying for my stand alone one now. I need to do a bit of thinking and work out best value

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Might be better value but there are some trouble spots where it is difficult to build a pstn line to get the following fibre line last year just about every single ftth order had a pstn line that had to be built first before they would release the order for ftth. There was even one area I know of that I had twice out for a pstn line and all that was in the ground was ftth.
    A talk with the customer said yes I know the last tech told me that and the tech told me that before and I explained that to the provider they cancelled the order (the provider did) and reordered the exact same thing they just sent you out again to build a pstn line.
    If they offer you a phone line request it through VoIP on the fibre line. Unless you really want a copper pstn line that is.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Might be better value but there are some trouble spots where it is difficult to build a pstn line to get the following fibre line last year just about every single ftth order had a pstn line that had to be built first before they would release the order for ftth. There was even one area I know of that I had twice out for a pstn line and all that was in the ground was ftth.
    A talk with the customer said yes I know the last tech told me that and the tech told me that before and I explained that to the provider they cancelled the order (the provider did) and reordered the exact same thing they just sent you out again to build a pstn line.
    If they offer you a phone line request it through VoIP on the fibre line. Unless you really want a copper pstn line that is.

In my case I already have the copper for my ADSL Broadband. It’s Broadband only and that’s all I’d want so if I go for the bundle it’ll be because it’s cheaper. I won’t be using any phone either way.

• Advertisement

You might think that the idea of doing things in parallel might occur to someone.

The potential duplication of infrastructure cost is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

The potential duplication of infrastructure cost is ridiculous.

Wrong thread. There's a thread for the NBP where all the talk about cost nonsense is going on.

When you take up a ftth sub with phone included from an ISP surely they don't use your pstn line as the means of making and receiving phone calls?? .. surely?

It must be VoIP by ftth mustn't it they use as standard practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

When you take up a ftth sub with phone included from an ISP surely they don't use your pstn line as the means of making and receiving phone calls?? .. surely?

They can and do sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its quite common for the POTS to be active, especially among OAPs. Some of the medi alert/panic button terminals cannot operate on the VOIP line.

VOIP makes your router choices more expensive and more limited. You also lose the phone in a power outage. I think I should have retained the copper.

ED E wrote: »
    Its quite common for the POTS to be active, especially among OAPs. Some of the medi alert/panic button terminals cannot operate on the VOIP line.

ah yeah i forgot about those old things! ;) ..

the equipment i mean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cnocbui wrote: »
    VOIP makes your router choices more expensive and more limited. You also lose the phone in a power outage. I think I should have retained the copper.

If that concerns you you can buy a BBU.

But I don't want to buy Bimbo Bakeries USA. My son spews a lot acronyms too, that he expects other people to know the meaning of.

• Advertisement

yeah I think the UK openreach ONT's used to come with BBU's for that reason so that you could most probably still make 999 calls .. mind you that was going back a couple of years now , I dont know if they still supply FTTH (or FTTP as they called it it - fibre to the premises) units now with BBU's

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement