Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

on my 150mbps package what could it be if i am getting constant 29mbps upload but only just over the 100mbs download mark (this check done on wireless BTW on firefox using speedtest.net with digiweb dublin as server ?

There is the likely answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

There is the likely answer!

the constant 29mbps upload though (upload supposed to be 30mbps on 150 package ) so that looks good ... but why a big difference in the download. almost feel like maybe they are throttling just the download speed but they wouldnt do that would they. - if a wireless issue would i get 29mbs upload figure all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Also are you testing on the Fritz!box WiFi or your old wireless router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

the constant 29mbps upload though (upload supposed to be 30mbps on 150 package ) so that looks good ... but why a big difference in the download. almost feel like maybe they are throttling just the download speed but they wouldnt do that would they. - if a wireless issue would i get 29mbs upload figure all the time?

It's because your ****ing WiFi isn't up to it as I told you last week. Do you ever listen?

Also are you testing on the Fritz!box WiFi or your old wireless router?

both

• Advertisement

It's because your ****ing WiFi isn't up to it as I told you last week. Do you ever listen?

sorry didnt see it - i will look back .. dont sweat the small stuff :)

here is my current wi-fi link speed from laptop to router 300Mbps - should be ok for 150mbps package

484779.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Test it wired ....... this has been posted many many times throughout the FTTH section so you must be aware of it.

Test it wired ....... this has been posted many many times throughout the FTTH section so you must be aware of it.

OK will do, yeah I know all about it - its just shifting my lazy arse to actually do it .

just seems mad that I have such a good link speed and the proper upload speed but there is such a deficit in download thats all

medoc wrote: »
    On the Eir (retail) site when I put my Eircode in the checker it now finally says I’m available for FTTH and it gives me the 150,300 and 1000 package options. Picking an option it asks me to put in my address (not eircode) or my phone number. Putting in my number (the 8883 number) it says then sorry not available.

Is it a case of phoning them up to order or is it a matter of waiting a while longer as the eircode checker is premature? I’ve been checking the Airwire checker weekly for ages but there seems to have been no update last Tuesday when the Eir one started saying available.

The eir checker can say available when the product is not actually available for a few weeks. eir will allow you to pre-order but no ISP can connect you before the RFO (ready for order) date. The Airwire checker gives you this date the eir one unfortunately does not. If you ring they will probably take your order but you may be waiting for the RFO.

You could try the Digiweb or Sky checkers and if they say available it would be a decent sign that it is actually live.

I'm not sure about the 8883 number part of your question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

FOR GODS SAKE ONLY WIRED TESTS COUNT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

on my 150mbps package what could it be if i am getting constant 29mbps upload but only just over the 100mbs download mark (this check done on wireless BTW on firefox using speedtest.net with digiweb dublin as server ?

How much have you downloaded - if it's terabyte than you probably have been throttled?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

An 8883 is an ADSL only number
    8881 is VDSL 8882 is ftth it's basically a stand in number when there's no landline number. It doesn't dial or ring but it's the number given to the port so it can be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

So i was finally able to order FTTH, and eir gave me an install date of yesterday (Monday 8th). Nobody arrived (and suspiciously no contact from install team). Eir now tell me that it's not actually live until the 31st of this month and i'm 'in the system'. Does anyone know what this means - because the girl on the phone didn't seem sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

just seems mad that I have such a good link speed and the proper upload speed but there is such a deficit in download thats all

Generation IEEE Standard Maximum Linkrate
    Wi‑Fi 6 802.11ax 600–9608 Mbit/s
    Wi‑Fi 5 802.11ac 433–6933 Mbit/s
    Wi‑Fi 4 802.11n 72–600 Mbit/s

You're on wifi 4 or N - well old at this stage (maxes out in your case at 100Mbits - prolly radio interference from other aps etc.)- also you'll need to make sure you've got clients that have newer wifi it takes 2 to tango and all that.
    WIFI 6/ax kicks ass - it picks it's own channel etc. - it's a major upgrade from previous versions. But as everybody here just mentioned a wired connection is by far the best. I see new consumer grade mobos coming with 2.5gbs ethernet ports theses days - connectivity is racing ahead.

turbbo wrote: »
    Generation IEEE Standard Maximum Linkrate
    Wi‑Fi 6 802.11ax 600–9608 Mbit/s
    Wi‑Fi 5 802.11ac 433–6933 Mbit/s
    Wi‑Fi 4 802.11n 72–600 Mbit/s

You're on wifi 4 or N - well old at this stage (maxes out in your case at 100Mbits - prolly radio interference from other aps etc.)- also you'll need to make sure you've got clients that have newer wifi it takes 2 to tango and all that.
    WIFI 6/ax kicks ass - it picks it's own channel etc. - it's a major upgrade from previous versions. But as everybody here just mentioned a wired connection is by far the best. I see new consumer grade mobos coming with 2.5gbs ethernet ports theses days - connectivity is racing ahead.

Thanks for that - I dont think I am maxing out on 100mbps on my wireless card in my laptop but I could be wrong.

I have just tried a test with my laptop placed bang beside the wireless router , and on firefox done a speedtest with ookla to airwire server in Galway and link speed was showing 300mbps for my wireless card and I was getting 137mbps download and 29mbps upload speed reported .

if I was maxing out at 100mbps with my wireless lan card in the laptop would it reach 137mbps on the speedtest?

Now, before anyone starts shouting again at me about doing the test hard wired, the Yukon ethernet card in my laptop is only 10/100 so I will try hard wire test with my wifes work's laptop when she gets home , thats a lenovo windows 10 and thats bound to have a 10/100/1000 card in it (if it has an ethernet socket in it - I know these days they are starting to do away with the ethernet port in some laptops)

484793.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

137 is very good for wifi on an old laptop. I think you can stop testing now your FTTH is working fine.

tuxy wrote: »
    137 is very good for wifi on an old laptop. I think you can stop testing now your FTTH is working fine.

oh aye yeah and its fast yeah, no complaints at that and if truth be known a 50mbps would do many just fine, maybe more than enough - I was just thinking like with FTTH it would be near (or near to) to the 150mbps download you know like .

And then if it did start of at 150mbps or thereabouts then as you get further away from the router and starts loosing speed you wouldnt notice it as much

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

oh aye yeah and its fast yeah, no complaints at that and if truth be known a 50mbps would do many just fine, maybe more than enough - I was just thinking like with FTTH it would be near (or near to) to the 150mbps download you know like .

And then if it did start of at 150mbps or thereabouts then as you get further away from the router and starts loosing speed you wouldnt notice it as much

it will be wired.

Cyrus wrote: »
    it will be wired.

thanks. I am gonna try that later with the wife's Lenovo laptop. That should have a 10/100/1000 ethernet in it

• Advertisement

if I was maxing out at 100mbps with my wireless lan card in the laptop would it reach 137mbps on the speedtest?

I was taking the info you gave me earlier - 100mbs since you've changed it now - I'd say now that you were maxing out at 137mbs - your wifi tech is the bottleneck

Have you tried changing the wifi channel on the router? Have you any other wireless devices in the house - wifi cameras, baby monitors etc. Turn them off while running the test. You might see a small bump.

Here's a wee guide to keep you busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

KN putting up the black boxes on the Eir poles around my area, so exciting

What's normally the deadline after the black boxes are up when broadband can be ordered?

Also do KN have to have all the work done in the area before the customer can order?

Why I ask is I live pretty near the exchange so it be nice to go live before everyone else lol

Headshot wrote: »
    What's normally the deadline after the black boxes are up when broadband can be ordered?
    - Varies from a week to a couple of months - every area is different.
    Also do KN have to have all the work done in the area before the customer can order?
    - Er.. yeah of course
    Why I ask is I live pretty near the exchange so it be nice to go live before everyone else lol
    - Distance from the exchange is now a thing of the past ;)

In most areas it seems to all go live at once with exception of small pockets being delayed because of technical problems.

Had generally been at least a month. They are behind schedule now so may be less.

They can and have launched routes from exchanges while others were not finished so say perhaps a route north of an exchange would be launched before one to the south.

Keep checking the various ISP Eircode tools regularly.

They can and have launched routes from exchanges while others were not finished so say perhaps a route north of an exchange would be launched before one to the south.

Would that still be considered the same area though? Just because it's coming from the same exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is your house marked and designated to get FTTH? Just asking, because being near to an exchange might put you in range of fibre to the cabinet, which tends to put people out of range of FTTH.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Is your house marked and designated to get FTTH? Just asking, because being near to an exchange might put you in range of fibre to the cabinet, which tends to put people out of range of FTTH.

His village has no VDSL FTTC

I asked the KN guy installing mine "am I the first to get FTTH in the area?" - and he said yep! .. nice feeling that :D

OTOH though I could be the guinea pig , you know like they are using me as a guinea pig to see if everything is running as it should LOL

they normally say sometimes early adopters of something is a double edged sword - yes you could be one of the first ones to take something up ... but then again if you wait until its been out for a while you can let others have the teething troubles and problems and then hopefully when you get around to ordering it the problems will be sorted out (hopefully) - a bit like ordering a brand new car on the market , sometimes when they first come out they are riddled with little niggly problems , so your best to wait for when they have been out for a while.

Mind you I was so impulsive I could not sit back and know FTTH was live in my area and not order it as soon as it come out :)

• Advertisement

ITRules wrote: »
    You are the customer of Bluebox,NWE !!! How to fight with them-SIMPLE !!!
    1. Cancel your direct debit immediately !
    2. Pay only once a month for services delivered to you, If you didn't have services delivered for 10 days in a month pay only for 21 days - SIMPLE !!!
    3. Whenever speeds are drastic slow/no broadband available, keep records about date and time this is your fundamental reason to reduce bills for broadband. YOU HAVE RIGHT TO DO SO !!!
    4. If above didn't solve your problems change your Internet provider,look for solutions- Pay half a bill to your nearest neighbour who is connected to decent broadband (or upgrade with him) use same technology (Wi-Maxx) like NWE/Bluebox and you have fantastic steady speeds at the half price.
    5. Remember it's your money, let them work hard for it- you're for them not they for you !!! Be smart !

WTF?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement