Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

I asked the KN guy installing mine "am I the first to get FTTH in the area?" - and he said yep! .. nice feeling that :D

:D really to get it a week or 2 before the neighbour - that makes you feel good?
    Whatever floats yer boat I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

turbbo wrote: »
    Would that still be considered the same area though? Just because it's coming from the same exchange?

From an open eir pov they talk about exchange areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

From an open eir pov they talk about exchange areas.

Yeah that makes sense. Either side of an exchange would mean that one part of an area could go ahead of another - makes total sense when I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

turbbo wrote: »
    :D really to get it a week or 2 before the neighbour - that makes you feel good?
    Whatever floats yer boat I suppose.

sure - it dont take a lot to make me ecstatic ...

first one in the area nice ...

paid only 49.95eur install instead of 130eur

installer very friendly fella and went the whole yard to get me connected on the day , and routed the fibre where i wanted it

whats not to like? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Here's my situation, new build house in a village in midlands where fibre broadband is available.
    I have a valid eir code, went to Eir where they signed me up for fibre to the home, this was over 2 weeks ago now and the order has be cancelled and resubmitted because it seems Eir say I have access to Fibre but this doesnt seem to be matching up with the KN networks information so the order never gets processed and I don't get an engineer out to the house.
    My neighbor (new build house also) is also in the exact same situation.
    I can see the KN black box from my house and as I say all other houses in my area (apart from new build neighbor) have active Fibre connection.
    Anyone have any experience like this and whats the best way forward for me so that Eir and KN info can match?

• Advertisement

Here's my situation, new build house in a village in midlands where fibre broadband is available.
    I have a valid eir code, went to Eir where they signed me up for fibre to the home, this was over 2 weeks ago now and the order has be cancelled and resubmitted because it seems Eir say I have access to Fibre but this doesnt seem to be matching up with the KN networks information so the order never gets processed and I don't get an engineer out to the house.
    My neighbor (new build house also) is also in the exact same situation.
    I can see the KN black box from my house and as I say all other houses in my area (apart from new build neighbor) have active Fibre connection.
    Anyone have any experience like this and whats the best way forward for me so that Eir and KN info can match?

You need to attempt to contact open eir to ensure your Eircode is on their list known as the APQ file. The issue is they tend to be very hard to get a response from.

You can try
    fibrepower@openeir.ie
    @openeir on Twitter

If they fail which there is a decent chance of happening, try contacting the Department of Communication on Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie

eir are meant to enable new build Eircodes within a reasonable time.

A third option is to approach a smaller ISP who may deal with your issue personally. Airwire, Digiweb and Westnet get good reviews here.

This is a recurring problem and you may have difficulty getting it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm getting close to the end of contract with Eir, I had planned to switch to airwire but now their online checker shows my Eircode as available soon. I'm almost sure that airwire were showing me as available when I checked a few months ago. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jimmbo

Hi Gang would anyone know if I switched from 300mbs to 1000mbs would it take time for the download speeds to settle or would it be instant?

jimmbo wrote: »
    Hi Gang would anyone know if I switched from 300mbs to 1000mbs would it take time for the download speeds to settle or would it be instant?

The increased speed should be instant when the profile is switched over.
    You may find many download servers too slow to take advantage of 1000Mps

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

tuxy wrote: »
    The increased speed should be instant when the profile is switched over.
    You may find many download servers too slow to take advantage of 1000Mps

and very few wifi access points will give consistent full speed either

• Advertisement

I would love to see what 1gbps package gives and how fast it would be , just for the hell of it like.

there were some company that started you off on 1gbps for 3 months (might have been vodafone or eir, cant remember) and then dropped you down to 150mbps if you didnt want to take the 1gbps . i wonder if many went back to 150mbps though? - its a pretty good marketing strategy to be honest.

if i win the lottery I will get Digiweb to put me on 1Gbps :) - its good to have the facility of it there if wanted - IE at least its there if you wanted .... couldnt get that if it was FTTC VDSL available to you

I would love to see what 1gbps package gives and how fast it would be , just for the hell of it like.

On a wired connection you would get 940 - 950 Mbps real world speed when connected to servers with sufficient capacity.
    The 100Mbps upload that comes with that package may be more use to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

You need to attempt to contact open eir to ensure your Eircode is on their list known as the APQ file. The issue is they tend to be very hard to get a response from.

You can try
    fibrepower@openeir.ie
    @openeir on Twitter

If they fail which there is a decent chance of happening, try contacting the Department of Communication on Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie

eir are meant to enable new build Eircodes within a reasonable time.

A third option is to approach a smaller ISP who may deal with your issue personally. Airwire, Digiweb and Westnet get good reviews here.

This is a recurring problem and you may have difficulty getting it sorted.

Looks like I'm in for a treat trying to sort out so! Cheers for the info.

I have a 14 day cooling off if it doesn't suit me .. My speed test are the same as I was on 300 coming in at 285 download but the upload has gone from 48 to 95 so Im half way there ....LOL

On a wired connection you would get 940 - 950 Mbps real world speed when connected to servers with sufficient capacity.
    The 100Mbps upload that comes with that package may be more use to most people.

It Just kicked in .. A quick test shows 938 down 97 up :)

Seems odd that the upload profile would change before the download, you would think both would happen at the same time but at least it's working.

Seems odd that the upload profile would change before the download, you would think both would happen at the same time but at least it's working.
    Yes a bit strange for sure ... I will keep an eye on it and hopefully it will behave itself :)

jimmbo wrote: »
    It Just kicked in .. A quick test shows 938 down 97 up :)

not bad :D

OK so my install date has been pushed out repeatedly (by 3 months) over the past nine months.
    Got sick of it, seeing next Sept being the install projection (an entire year after every one of my neighbours), last month, so started elevating it to every avenue I could think of.

Eir were useless and no way of contacting Open Eir.
    Local councilors also useless, barring one who got me in contact with the local broadband officer (who has been chasing)
    ComReg, well also useless.
    Minister and Junior Minister of Comms, absolutely nothing.

Went through local TD's and only one bothered to do anything with it, in terms of getting info. They actually had ComReg reply that they would ask Eir for a reason. Further than I got, to be fair.

At the same time I sent a mail to Catherine Murphy's office, on a long shot. I am in East Cork Constituency so not expecting anything. Her office replied that day and within a week they had a mail back, from OpenEir, with an install date by the end of this week. Thought "Believe that when I see it" and I saw it today.

Now I am not sure if it was an unlikely coincidence or what but of everyone I contacted I only seemed to get movement when Deputy Murphy's office got involved and there was an immediate work date put in place and it has been stuck to.

so started elevating it to every avenue I could think of.

Out of interest which ISPs did you try?

• Advertisement

What was the particular issue preventing installation?

What was the particular issue preventing installation?

All the houses had ducting laid and their regular lines run through. Except they never bothered to bring my line down off the pole (I was coming from a different exchange) so when fibre roll out came along they would not install mine through overhead trees.
    Needed Open eir to come out and sink my line into the existing ducting.

Out of interest which ISPs did you try?

Eir: Came to my house and said I was getting fibre and were providing a good sign up deal. Then vanished behind OpenEir for 9 months.

Sky (current provider and admitted they would never be able to push open Eir)
    Virgin: Didn't really want to know

All the houses had ducting laid and their regular lines run through. Except they never bothered to bring my line down off the pole (I was coming from a different exchange) so when fibre roll out came along they would not install mine through overhead trees.
    Needed Open eir to come out and sink my line into the existing ducting.

Fair play for being persistent. I'm glad it's paid off for you.

Eir: Came to my house and said I was getting fibre and were providing a good sign up deal. Then vanished behind OpenEir for 9 months.

Sky (current provider and admitted they would never be able to push open Eir)
    Virgin: Didn't really want to know

Sounds about right Airwire and Digweb are the only providers willing to put any effort into contacting open eir.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Sounds about right Airwire and Digweb are the only providers willing to put any effort into contacting open eir.

:(

:(

Sorry Paul I always forget Westnet, it's just I don't know anyone living in the area you cover.

Honestly, now I'm going back to check who has the best deals.
    Cancelling my order, with Eir, if I can get better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

I leaving Eir this month going with Airwire just wondering is the fritz!box 7530 good for gaming my nephew comes over now and again and play on ps4.if anybody that with Airwire broadband have any problem with gaming thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Today the eir checker finally shows "Great News" , i'm onto eir now to see what they can offer while i consider providers. Is there supposed to be a light active on the black box up on the pole outside the house? I dont see one and people keep referring to "the light" on the DP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement