Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No light on the black box (DP). Light references relate to the small beige box in the home the fibre from the DP terminates to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Actually what people usually mean when they say it on here is that there can sometimes be no fibre optic light to the DP.
    This indicates there is a problem somewhere along the line. It's not actually light you can see, the installer will always do this test using a special instrument at the DP before starting an install.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Have an install date of 7th August now, really hope they can do it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Video wrote: »
    Today the eir checker finally shows "Great News" , i'm onto eir now to see what they can offer while i consider providers. Is there supposed to be a light active on the black box up on the pole outside the house? I dont see one and people keep referring to "the light" on the DP

It more correctly would be referred to light on the fibre cable or something like that.

The light referred to is the 'light' that is used to carry the data on the fibre optic cable.
    This is not visible light and is checked by the technicians who connect the fibre optic cable, using a special instrument for the purpose.

If it is absent then no data connection exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Anyone know is Martin gone on holidays? Haven't seen the airwire database update in the last 2 weeks

• Advertisement

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Anyone know is Martin gone on holidays? Haven't seen the airwire database update in the last 2 weeks

He may be, I sent him a PM last week and got no reply which I'd say is unusual for him.

I was wondering that too, clearly eir have updated today because yesterday there was no broadband available, today there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I was wondering that too, clearly eir have updated today because yesterday there was no broadband available, today there is.

Nothing changed for my parents address. None the less I'll still be steering them towards airwire when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

The no light installs have ended it's back to failed for no light.
    I'm actually surprised it lasted as long as it did

Were there issues where the no light installs were not done correctly and then the drop cable didn't work when the DP was activated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

when the KN installer lad done ours he opened up the DP in the chamber, put on his bit of equipment and said "well there's a light there - that's a good sign " :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

babi-hrse wrote: »
    The no light installs have ended it's back to failed for no light.
    I'm actually surprised it lasted as long as it did

Amazing incompetence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

rob808 wrote: »
    I leaving Eir this month going with Airwire just wondering is the fritz!box 7530 good for gaming my nephew comes over now and again and play on ps4.if anybody that with Airwire broadband have any problem with gaming thanks.
    I host a game server on it over a wifi connection, seem pretty stable even though this shouldn't be the best way to do it.
    I have very few issues playing other multiplayer games.

tuxy wrote: »
    Were there issues where the no light installs were not done correctly and then the drop cable didn't work when the DP was activated?

It was probably a couple of things but the key one would be installs in new urban areas where virgin were rolled out alongside open eir network. Install would be done with no light customer would have only bought the house being a new build doesn't want to wait for the service to start when they find out their neibhour went with virgin and are already up and running. So ya can imagine they cancel their order as it hasn't been completed yet only physical is in but not working so their not in contract yet.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

He knows how to pick his timing - over 16,000 new premises added nationwide in this week's APQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Any way to check if my eircode is part of this 16,000 without the Airwire check service? Fibrerollout page hasnt been updated in months by the looks of it.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Any way to check if my eircode is part of this 16,000 without the Airwire check service? Fibrerollout page hasnt been updated in months by the looks of it.

You can PM me an Eircode if you like, and I'll look it up for you.

Can anyone tell me if eir will switch us over to VOIP service when the time comes or we will continue receiving through the copper cabling that is already installed. Speaking to the sales agent there was no mention of VOIP but i also forgot to ask about it.

Can anyone tell me if eir will switch us over to VOIP service when the time comes or we will continue receiving through the copper cabling that is already installed. Speaking to the sales agent there was no mention of VOIP but i also forgot to ask about it.

You request it but it could go either way

Yeah Eir use a random number generator to make that decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Just looking for some clarification around ducting preparation.

A DP has gone on across from my home, our current phone/vdsl line comes across from that pole over the road onto an eircom pole outside our gates.

I believe there's ducting from that pole directly to into our house.

Is it possible for the install to go over head from the DP to that pole and then from there up to the duct or does a new duct have to be provided to the pole with the DP?

limnam wrote: »
    Is it possible for the install to go over head from the DP to that pole and then from there up to the duct or does a new duct have to be provided to the pole with the DP?

Yep that's how it's done.
    It doesn't have to go into a duct per se it's comes down to preference or lay of the land but if it's over your property and no duct present and your alright with it it can go overhead to the house provided there's somewhere to mount a bracket or eyebolt on the brickwork and not a ton of trees blocking the way.
    It just looks tidier if it's in a duct.
    They'll use your existing duct if it's blocked you'll be offered overhead option or given time to unblock it and have a follow up install.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Wireless speed test

Broadcom 43224AGN 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2 Wi-Fi Adapter

5Ghz

300mbps link speed

Digiweb Ultrafast FTTH 150mbps package:

FritzBox 7530 (as modem) and Vodafone HG659 (dual AC Wifi) as wireless router:

using tester: https://broadbandspeedtest.ie/ on windows 7 - Chrome browser:

485151.jpg

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

The update is based on data from OpenEIR on Wednesday 10.07.2019. They had 2 updates this week.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

A month to go

With a bit of luck...Thanks Martin!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Oh my god oh my god

This is new

RjKo6L4.png

God I'd love to know what is "Available soon" a month way, 2 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got "available soon" just under 3 weeks ago, and now this update has given me a date that's just over 3 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Headshot wrote: »
    Oh my god oh my god

This is new

God I'd love to know what is "Available soon" a month way, 2 months?

I got available soon on 11th of June and today it changed to available on 31st of July.

Speed of these available orders coming on stream they may almost make their deadline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

MartinL - I am sure I know the answer to this question, but I feel the need to ask anyway.
    The houses on the road at the end of our rural culture de sac will be able to order on July 31st.
    Is there any way the 4 of us can ask for a spur to be installed? We are not on OE's map, but neither was that road.
    Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement