Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Barry5714 wrote: »
    Shouldn't EIR be more upto date then Airwire since it's their infastructure.

Nope.

Airwire and Eir are both customers of OpenEir. They both receive the same data at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

fritzelly wrote: »
    A change to 1Gb takes a minute or two to implement and is usually up and running within an hour or two but can take a bit longer
    Get onto customer care, sounds like you have a new order

Yup, looks like new order. Will wait until Monday when the 'talk to' Eir folks are back to have them sort it. Don't want to deal with their 1st level sales or tech again on phone/chat. Pain in my hoop with their lack of knowledge.

When a change in FTTH speed happens, does the router need a bounce and/or the GPON unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

All happens in the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Pangea wrote: »
    Whats Eirs policy on new builds?
    I mentioned here before that my brother has a built a new house in a fibre-enabled area, he can see the fibre box from his house, he got an underground trench dug from the pole to the house, but now Eir say they cant do it, something to do with his house/ eircode not showing up on their google maps

New developments will get FTTH. But only after the 300k is completed. Until then it's USO, so could be mobile network based phoneline.

Barry5714 wrote: »
    Shouldn't EIR be more upto date then Airwire since it's their infastructure.

Eir don't update the data they get from OpenEIR very often. Maybe once a month. Airwire updates every week as OpenEIR hands out the data every week.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

Marlow wrote: »

New developments will get FTTH. But only after the 300k is completed. Until then it's USO, so could be mobile network based phoneline.

This is not true in my situation, I'm in a new development in Dublin and eir never ran copper thankfully but did roll in fibre and I've now got FTTH. This was all done in the last 6 months so they are definitely rolling out fibre in greenfields and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ping diff between VDSL2 and FTTH as noted by SmokePing from my home network;
    450635.jpg

digiman wrote: »
    This is not true in my situation, I'm in a new development in Dublin and eir never ran copper thankfully but did roll in fibre and I've now got FTTH. This was all done in the last 6 months so they are definitely rolling out fibre in greenfields and rightly so.

The statement that greenfield sites would more than likely be attended to after the 300k was only made about a month ago.

But even OpenEir has the attitude that copper is not worth investing in anymore. So they only use it where it's in place. There's no long term investment to be had.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The evening before installation my PTSN line (Vodafone resell) develops a fault. 800kb sync (again). Took over 14 months before to get them to fix it back to 3mb. August 2016-October 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Pangea wrote: »
    Whats Eirs policy on new builds?
    I mentioned here before that my brother has a built a new house in a fibre-enabled area, he can see the fibre box from his house, he got an underground trench dug from the pole to the house, but now Eir say they cant do it, something to do with his house/ eircode not showing up on their google maps
    They need the Eircode for their ordering system and the new house doesn't have one yet.

https://www.eircode.ie/getting-an-eircode

So, Eircode are notified by An Post every 3 months and a code can be assigned then. Hopefully, Eircode generates their own updates soon after that which would be passed on to Openeir, who then update their own system soon after that.

But there is potential for delay at either of those stages. Frustrating I imagine, when you can see the fibre box outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

If there is an existing pole and duct into the house, will they just use it? I have two poles from the road, then a 10m Hydrodare duct to a manhole outside the house.

It doesn’t have a drawstring in the duct though. Last time I needed a new copper line installed, the eir engineer used the old copper as a drawstring and taped the new cable to it.

• Advertisement

AidenL wrote: »
    If there is an existing pole and duct into the house, will they just use it? I have two poles from the road, then a 10m Hydrodare duct to a manhole outside the house.

It doesn’t have a drawstring in the duct though. Last time I needed a new copper line installed, the eir engineer used the old copper as a drawstring and taped the new cable to it.

They always use existing ducting etc if possible

They always use existing ducting etc if possible

As its existing, will I have to get a drawstring into it somehow or will they use the rods?

This duct is in 25 years.

As its existing, will I have to get a drawstring into it somehow or will they use the rods?

This duct is in 25 years.

They will try and rod it but ducting that old may have issues (crushed, blocked etc) so get a drawstring thru it if you can then should be plain sailing on the day

They will try and rod it but ducting that old may have issues (crushed, blocked etc) so get a drawstring thru it if you can then should be plain sailing on the day

It was clear three years ago, and no traffic passes over it, so hopefully ok.

How would I get a drawstring into it in advance? Hire rods myself?

Check youtube for vacuum ducting

Check youtube for vacuum ducting

That won't work, as my duct has the copper wire inside it already. Id say it would snag it.

That won't work, as my duct has the copper wire inside it already. Id say it would snag it.

Ahh ok, see how it goes on the day rather than spending money yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So, on the day, you should be able to pull out the copper with a line attached that can be used to pull in the fibre.

So, on the day, you should be able to pull out the copper with a line attached that can be used to pull in the fibre.

Can't. Due to EU legislation, OpenEIR (and hence KN) can't remove existing copper. It has to stay intact for other operators to use.

But if the duct is ok, a rod can be brought through and the fiber pulled then.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Marlow wrote: »
    Can't. Due to EU legislation, OpenEIR (and hence KN) can't remove existing copper. It has to stay intact for other operators to use.

But if the duct is ok, a rod can be brought through and the fiber pulled then.

/M

The copper must remain, even though fibre with VOIP capability, is being run to the premises?

I find that strange as that copper is being run through the private ducting of the owner.

I expect if I wish to remove a copper line from my ducting there is no one with the power to prevent me doing so.

• Advertisement

The techs won't do this (per Marlows comment above), and if the customer does they could end up with zero service for a long while if the install cannot happen on the day
    Ducting was clear 3 years ago so probably grand for a pain free install on the day

The copper must remain, even though fibre with VOIP capability, is being run to the premises?

I find that strange as that copper is being run through the private ducting of the owner.

I expect if I wish to remove a copper line from my ducting there is no one with the power to prevent me doing so.

You don't own the copper, but what you do on your land is your business but refer my comment above

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Installation due today , fingers crossed all goes well :)

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Installation due today , fingers crossed all goes well :)

Same. Was supposed to be last Wednesday

The fiber being able to feed phone service via VoIP is not the point. Not every provider offers service on FTTH with OpenEIR.

The old copper can still be used for phone, alarm, panic buttons, ADSL, VDSL, etc.

Matter of fact: panic buttons don't work over VoIP at the moment.

The legislation is about existing infrastructure. You can add more infrastructure, but OpenEIR can't remove infrastructure, that's in place.

If the owner removes the copper cable on his own, then there's nothing they can do against it. So if the copper is gone and a drawstring is in place instead, they'll use it. But he can't do it, while KN is there. KN will not touch the copper. They're not permitted to.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm not up to speed (pardon the pun) with this stuff.

Does VOIP work for alarm monitoring? If so, is it possible to get broadband only and not phone line to save on costs?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm not up to speed (pardon the pun) with this stuff.

Does VOIP work for alarm monitoring? If so, is it possible to get broadband only and not phone line to save on costs?

It depends on your provider for your alarm monitoring, but it will most likely not work over VoIP. A lot of them have a GSM option though, so you don't need the landline.

And yes, you can get broadband only on FTTH, but that depends on your provider.

Eir for example doesn't discount the broadband only ones and charge you full whack from day one. Can't find the pricing right now, but it's something the likes of 58 EUR/month for 150 Mbit/s FTTH.

Other providers tend to sell broadband only from the get go and then add phone service for a fee.

/M

Ladder put back in the van. Not a good sign. Meanwhile my ADSL is only 500kb

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

When did they start charging for ftth installation. Only noticed it on there site today. My area was due to go live in March still waiting. On the payment of installation when I signed back to Eir from sky 3 years ago nearly now. Part of my signing up was free fibre installation when it was available in my area. Ill fight them for it if I have too.

• Advertisement

eamo22 wrote: »
    When did they start charging for ftth installation. Only noticed it on there site today. My area was due to go live in March still waiting. On the payment of installation when I signed back to Eir from sky 3 years ago nearly now. Part of my signing up was free fibre installation when it was available in my area. Ill fight them for it if I have too.

1. May.

And the free installation was always promotional. The installation fee in the pricelist for Eir retail is 250 EUR and has been from the get go. So the 99 EUR installation fee on the 150 Mbit/s FTTH is still discounted.

Most other providers charge 199.

It costs the providers over 300 EUR, so you're getting a good deal no matter what.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement