Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

JonMac wrote: »
    Is there any way the 4 of us can ask for a spur to be installed? We are not on OE's map, but neither was that road.

OpenEIR won't run a spur down roads, that they haven't done so in the first place. It can however happen, that some of the additional spurs they have ran are not documented.

Your best bet is to have a look, if there is a DP down your spur and then write down the DP number and contact us. If there are no DPs, you'll have to wait for the NBP, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Thanks for answering my question. Unfortunately the nearest DP is on the rural road, just a hair over 500m from my house.
    The copper runs 3 poles, duct to first house, continuing duct to the other 3.
    Quite frustrating, particularly as most of the houses on the road are unlikely to use fibre as the folks are on the elderly side.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Could you get one of them to get it you pay and use some ubiquiti kit to send it down to you 500m is no distance

https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac-gen2/

Actually, I had been wondering about that. Twelve years back when we got the last dial-up broadband available on the exchange, I rigged a local network [shush] to 2 of the neighbours.
    The obvious house is a nice women in her 80's, recently widowed. Next time one of her daughters visits I'll make a gentle enquiry.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Airwire showed available soon for me and a couple of days later showed the 24th of this month. I just checked Eir checker and they say it's available now and also Digiweb. Sent Airwire an email there so hopefully will place an order with them tomorrow and the wait is nearly over!

• Advertisement

Cyrus - BTW, can one transmitter serve 3 receivers that are fairly close to each other?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

E46Dream wrote: »
    Airwire showed available soon for me and a couple of days later showed the 24th of this month. I just checked Eir checker and they say it's available now and also Digiweb. Sent Airwire an email there so hopefully will place an order with them tomorrow and the wait is nearly over!

Digiweb and Eir are pre-orders. You can order from them now and then they will place the order with open eir when it actually goes live.
    I don't know if Airwire do pre-orders but it won't delay your install if you wait to order with them.
    All providers can't actually process the install until the ready to order date which is the same for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

tuxy wrote: »
    Digiweb and Eir are pre-orders. You can order from them now and then they will place the order with open eir when it actually goes live.
    I don't know if Airwire do pre-orders but it won't delay your install if you wait to order with them.
    All providers can't actually process the install until the ready to order date which is the same for everyone.

Ah right I'll have to wait the 10 days then until 24th, what's the install time like? Done on 1st visit or 2nd?

Also I'm hoping to have it done through overhead wire straight off the pole which is about 15 meters or less from the house with no trees or anything in the way, is there anything I can do to make sure everything goes smooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

JonMac wrote: »
    Cyrus - BTW, can one transmitter serve 3 receivers that are fairly close to each other?
    Thanks.

That I don’t know but I’ll read up and see !

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Yes, we take pre-orders and look after the ordering for the customer at the ready-for-order date.

We are just realistic about when it will be available, unless there are other problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

E46Dream wrote: »
    Ah right I'll have to wait the 10 days then until 24th, what's the install time like? Done on 1st visit or 2nd?

Also I'm hoping to have it done through overhead wire straight off the pole which is about 15 meters or less from the house with no trees or anything in the way, is there anything I can do to make sure everything goes smooth?
    If it can get to that pole from dp and there's no external insulation and somewhere to drill an eyebolt onto the brickwork with clear line of sight to the pole you should have no issues getting it to you. It'll come in the wall you'll need two power sockets on otherside of wall to power ont and router.
    If the fibre is crossing a busy road it may need assistance or traffic management of it's really busy or a single unbroken line road (no overtaking)
    If the poles are defective a hoist will be needed
    If none of these apply you shouldn't have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It's no different to having an overhead pstn telephone line going across the road, but I wonder how many people are at risk of having those fibre lines hit with tall vehicles. I have seen quite a few times especially living in a rural area, tractors with large tall bales of hay hitting telephone lines and sometimes bringing them completely down , on lines going across the road .

Overhead Copper telephone lines are one thing they are pretty sturdy enough in places and have got to endure the wind and rain and snow and different wide range of temperatures but I wonder how the overhead fibre cable will compare I wonder.

Just thinking about it now on my install it was looking at one time like the duct was blocked and the installer was thinking about going OH , and although I was pretty desperate on the day for it to be installed I now am so much more happier he decided to try another duct in the chamber on the day and manage to bring it through that instead

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Copper lines sag a lot, the fibre lines between poles are much more taut and less inclined to sag.
    There should be no farmers loads hitting them.

Copper lines sag a lot, the fibre lines between poles are much more taut and less inclined to sag.
    There should be no farmers loads hitting them.

ah right good, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Hi Folks,
    Are eir and vodafone the only providers for tv and broadband bundles for FTTH?
    I've heard nothing but bad reviews for eir so thinking of going with someone like airwire or westnet. Our address just went live a few days ago according to the airwire availability checker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

There is Sky and Net1 also. Airwire are trialing a tv system, but it not available to customers yet.

/M

I suppose you could use IPTV with any FTTH provider cant ye? - can even get boxes now with IPTV built in

I suppose you could use IPTV with any FTTH provider cant ye? - can even get boxes now with IPTV built in

Yes. But you would have to pay extra for that. And legal IPTV services can be a costly add-on to your bill.

Illegal ones are already being clamped down on.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Marlow wrote: »
    And legal IPTV services can be a costly add-on to your bill.

Today in the courts - Court orders block on illegal streaming of English football matches
    In the Commercial Court on Monday, Football Association Premier League Ltd was granted Ireland’s first ever order compelling internet service providers (ISPs) to block live streaming of matches on computers, set top boxes and other devices

The order is against Eircom/Eir, Sky Ireland, Sky Subscriber Services, Virgin Media Ireland and Vodafone Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes. But you would have to pay extra for that. And legal IPTV services can be a costly add-on to your bill.

/M

Pay extra over what?

Are the independent legal IPTV providers not competitive with what the likes of Eir and Vodafone charge for IPTV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

/M

Wrong - IPTV services can be extremely cheap and represent a huge saving on your bill.

If you have a good provider, they are well worth it and any upcoming blocks in terms of the EPL are easily gotten around. Obviously, I can't and won't say any more about that here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

What does works being started look like? Vans around our area in the past couple of weeks, running an additional line right at the top of the poles separate from the existing phone lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Telecoms companies to face clampdown on ‘fake fibre’ adverts

Irish telcos may soon face a clampdown on how they market their broadband products amid a spike in complaints about so-called “fake fibre” adverts.

The Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland (ASAI) is planning to impose stricter rules that will stop providers promising “fibre” in their broadband adverts when the connections still rely on ageing copper lines.

The move follows complaints from consumer groups that broadband users are being duped into believing they are buying fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) products despite the technology only being available to less than 5 per cent of the State’s two million homes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/telecoms-companies-to-face-clampdown-on-fake-fibre-adverts-1.3957451

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

KOR101 wrote: »

Irish telcos may soon face a clampdown on how they market their broadband products amid a spike in complaints about so-called “fake fibre” adverts.

The Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland (ASAI) is planning to impose stricter rules that will stop providers promising “fibre” in their broadband adverts when the connections still rely on ageing copper lines.

The move follows complaints from consumer groups that broadband users are being duped into believing they are buying fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) products despite the technology only being available to less than 5 per cent of the State’s two million homes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/telecoms-companies-to-face-clampdown-on-fake-fibre-adverts-1.3957451

The Sunday Times reported on this a month ago, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057989130

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

glack wrote: »
    What does works being started look like? Vans around our area in the past couple of weeks, running an additional line right at the top of the poles separate from the existing phone lines.

That's what it looked like in my area. Narrower cable along the tops of the poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

KOR101 wrote: »

Tryna explain this to someone yesterday
    I have e fibre that's not fibre yes it is no it isn't look here's my fibre socket no that's a copper socket I'm here to give you actual fibre but I have efibre they were tryna tell me what fibre was. It was bemusing but this is how misleading this marketing is.

BandMember wrote: »
    Wrong - IPTV services can be extremely cheap and represent a huge saving on your bill.

If you have a good provider, they are well worth it and any upcoming blocks in terms of the EPL are easily gotten around. Obviously, I can't and won't say any more about that here. ;)

If their EPL gets blocked, then they're are most likely not legal. A lot of the cheap ones actually aren't. They are also big bandwidth hogs, because most of the illegal ones don't compress their streams properly, so they use a 20 Mbit/s stream that can't be buffered. Causes massive bandwidth issues.

Have a read at this: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/court-orders-internet-providers-to-block-illegal-streaming-of-live-football-matches-from-next-month-937093.html

The next stage from that is, that individuals using these services will be hunted down and fined. Already happening in many countries.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DaveToomey

Hi folks.

Our road has had the build phase (poles/cables etc) completed for a few weeks now but there is no sign of any connections happening.

What is the standard time for waiting for connection phase after the build phase?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Sorry guys, doing a quick dig through and while the OP mentions caveats for VOIP.
    Do you have to use Eir F2000 modem for their VOIP services. I know you can use a 3rd party modem for data, but what about VOIP. Technically it should be ok, but do Eir have this locked down or dont provide the config etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

DaveToomey wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Our road has had the build phase (poles/cables etc) completed for a few weeks now but there is no sign of any connections happening.

What is the standard time for waiting for connection phase after the build phase?

Thanks in advance.
    In my experience within 2 months.
    On my road the fibre multicore cable went up in late July. The DP boxes were installed on about the 20th August and it was officially live on the 6th of October and got connected 3 days later. I think waiting times would vary widely from area to area maybe other posters should add to their experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement