Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Jpmarn wrote: »
    I think waiting times would vary widely from area to area maybe other posters should add to their experience.

about a year for me since the black DP boxes and fibre went on the pole before it went live ... but thats not the norm it seems. - it was either exceptional problems in the area or something else, but I do know we were wating on a cabinet for the OLT . Once that was put in there I wold say about a month or 2 afterwards it went live in the area for FTTH.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Tryna explain this to someone yesterday
    I have e fibre that's not fibre yes it is no it isn't look here's my fibre socket no that's a copper socket I'm here to give you actual fibre but I have efibre they were tryna tell me what fibre was. It was bemusing but this is how misleading this marketing is.

have exactly the same kind of thing in my area . I do computer repairs and the people are like 'I should have better speeds I'm on fibre now why am I only getting 20mbps / 15mps??" and even some are down to ADSL speeds and then I explain its only fibre up to the cabinet in the village for their address and the rest is carried to its destination by the copper cable , and yeah with me when they phone me up they say over the phone "yeah I have fibre internet now" and when I get there they point to the telephone socket and VDSL modem router . I explain but a lot of the time I still think some people dont get it.

So , now we get onto this ... if providers are going to be pulled up on it and will no longer be able to call it fibre broadband if its FTTC what are they going to market/sell it as?
    I mean your normal joe public dont know what FTTC is or what it satands for most of the time so they wont be able to call it FTTC broadband...

er they cant call it "part broadband, part copper cable" that wont be a cool tagline...

er.. "Hybrid broadband maybe?" .... um, "fibre .. but not totally fibre" ??

I dunno but if they are pulled up on it and will no longer be able to call FTTC "Fibre Broadband" then I will be intrigued to see what name these providers will come up with...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They could call it what it is (and what some providers already call it): VDSL.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They could call it what it is (and what some providers already call it): VDSL.

and what does VDSL mean to most?

in my walk of life most people know what Fibre broadband means - hardly anyone knows what VDSL means .. more than likely think its a sexual disease :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

in my walk of life most people know what Fibre broadband means - hardly anyone knows what VDSL means .. more than likely think its a sexual disease :D

I think you'll find the problem is that most people dont actually know what fiber means. They think they do but due to the misleading advertising, they dont!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

Marlow wrote: »
    If their EPL gets blocked, then they're are most likely not legal. A lot of the cheap ones actually aren't. They are also big bandwidth hogs, because most of the illegal ones don't compress their streams properly, so they use a 20 Mbit/s stream that can't be buffered. Causes massive bandwidth issues.

Have a read at this: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/court-orders-internet-providers-to-block-illegal-streaming-of-live-football-matches-from-next-month-937093.html

The next stage from that is, that individuals using these services will be hunted down and fined. Already happening in many countries.

/M

As I've said already, I can't discuss this too much here. However......if you honestly think that block is going to make one bit of difference, then you really don't know what you're talking about on this issue. Your last point makes this very clear.

And now, back to FTTH!

Nobody knows what 5G or LTE means either. There's no point calling something "fibre" which isn't fibre just because people think they know what it means (and, as pointed out, they don't).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Very high speed digital subscriber line - or FTTC - seems to be the broadly used term here in Ireland - and tells it like it is - Fibre To The Cabinet.
    If people confuse that with an std then that's their problem. :D

turbbo wrote: »
    Very high speed digital subscriber line - or FTTC - seems to be the broadly used term here in Ireland - and tells it like it is - Fibre To The Cabinet.

Even FTTC is misleading, because it can also be eVDSL - exchange launched - in which case there is no cabinet.

At that point, it's "fibre to the exchange", which also describes dial-up.

If there isn't a strand of glass to the premises, it isn't fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Even FTTC is misleading, because it can also be eVDSL - exchange launched - in which case there is no cabinet.

At that point, it's "fibre to the exchange", which also describes dial-up.

If there isn't a strand of glass to the premises, it isn't fibre.

Are the providers selling that as fibre too?

• Advertisement

Are the providers selling that as fibre too?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If people confuse that with an std then that's their problem. :D

FTTC is advertising BS that should never have been allowed, when the service the consumer ends up with can be only 5 Mbps.

cnocbui wrote: »
    FTTC is advertising BS that should never have been allowed, when the service the consumer ends up with can be only 5 Mbps.

you dont normally see FTTC used in normal advertising tho..

Superfast broadband

Fibre

simply braodaband

ultrafast

those are the usual taglines

never heard FTTC used in advertising to joe public

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

never heard FTTC used in advertising to joe public

OpenEIR calls VDSL .. or FTTC .... = eFibre !!

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

/M

right so if this thing comes into effect then surely they wont be able to use the word 'Fibre' at all in eFibre ..

they will have to call it something like "e its fast , like fibre.... but not as fast as full fibre" ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Advertising standards can advise them to change the wording and the ISPs can ignore AS like they always do.
    They will continue to call it whatever the marketing determent thinks will sell best.

I still like the buzz word "Hybrid" broadband - like the Hybrid cars are not totally electric , the FTTC is not totally Fibre Broadband...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

/M
    Openeir do? I thought efibre was eir retail's brand name for vdsl/ftth?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jd wrote: »
    Openeir do? I thought efibre was eir retail's brand name for vdsl/ftth?

Apologies. Eir retail do. I'm a bit tired today.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

They call the NTU (phone socket)
    Fibre ready and that's really taking the Mick

So now that the trench was dug into the ducting I apparently have an install date of next monday.

Again, will believe when I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So now that the trench was dug into the ducting I apparently have an install date of next monday.

Again, will believe when I see it

That's the spirit.

I don't get optimists, they get to be wrong most of time and are never pleasantly surprised by anything, whereas realists get the smug satisfaction of being proved right, most of time, and are pleasantly surprised when not.

cnocbui wrote: »
    That's the spirit.

I don't get optimists, they get to be wrong most of time and are never pleasantly surprised by anything, whereas realists get the smug satisfaction of being proved right, most of time, and are pleasantly surprised when not.

on my install - I got a mixture of emotions :

KN man turns up:

KN Man: "thats a good sign - there's a light at the DP"
    Me: happy
    KN man starts feeding draw line down down duct going into outdoor terminal box
    KN man starts hitting obstacle - says "not a good sign"
    Me: Sad
    Me: "does that mean it wont get done today?"
    KN man starts looking at DP boxes on poles - says "I could go overhead"
    Me: thinks I would rather have it in duct but if it has to be overhead, then overhead it will be - Happy again that it isnt failed install
    KN man: "no cannot go overhead " - something about ducts not being on right pole at roadside...
    Me: sad yet again.
    Me: says to him "when you was rodding that drawer wire I am sure I heard that rattling on the duct on the left hand side of the chamber and not the right hand side" - (right hand side had a unused telephone copper wire coming out of duct with a bit of 'putty' on the end of the duct.
    KN man: puts what looks like a multimeter on the copper wires at the outdoor terminal at my house. - goes back to chamber and can hear 'clicking' sound off the cable with his little instrument. It is indeed the right cable .
    KN man: removes the putty from the end of the duct on the left hand side of chamber and attaches fibre cable to the PSTN cable and pulls it through the outdoor eircom box at the house while I unreel fibre cable at chamber end (an I get a splinter in the process cause I was unreeling using the wooden reel instead of unreeling pulling from the fibre cable) - eventually the fibre starts coming out of outdoor eircom box "thats it (he says optimistically) its through"
    Me: Happy.
    KN man: finishes off the install
    Me: extremely happy that it got installed and on the first visit and that he went that extra mile to get it fitted and that he listened to me when I said I could hear it rattling on the left hand side of the chamber instead of the right and investigated further and didnt just put it down as 'failed install'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Did he tell you not to talk about removing the PSTN line but you forgot?
    He could lose hos job over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail
    Hello Martin
    My neighbour has been showing as Available soon for the last 5 weeks or so. Any ideas when it is likely to go live? This month possibly? I can PM eircode if that helps at all.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

manshay wrote: »
    I had a no light install on 15 May, a few days later the PON started flashing green.
    KN were booked to come out again on 4th June but cancelled cause openeir told them the local infrastructure wasn't working.(which doesn't make sense according to openeir troubleshooting document)
    Airwire have escalated ticket to the maximum level 4 request with openeir, they have no feedback from openeir on the problem. Airwire are great from a customer service point of view, they actually answer the phone, but they are getting nowhere with openeir.

I was private messaging another person from this thread who had a long term in light install problem. He cancelled with Airwire and booked an install with another company which cleared the logjam.

I cannot go to Comreg because there is no contract in place until I actually receive a service, even if for one minute. I'm stuck in a catch 22 situation.

I'm extremely frustrated as it appears the fix is easy and quick.

Is there something I am missing? It seems that openeir are treating a small ISP, Airwire, badly, as well as me! Is there a nefarious reason for this or are they just incompetent?
    All advice greatly received.

Fibre finally!

On Monday Openeir turned up to check DP outside my home, there was as I expected light at the pole. My fibre tale of woe convinced the Openeir guys to come into my house and check and confirm there was light at my ONT.
    I and Airwave have tried to convince Openeir of that fact since 16th May.
    I informed Airwave of the existence of light on my connection, they advised the would let Openeir know.
    I again tried to call KN, who's engineer caused all this nonsense by not putting the correct ONT serial number in the system(or something similar). The guy at KN, (appointments line- I had no other number) listened to my tale of woe again... I explained it was the fault of their engineer. Strangely he listened, after all it was an appointments line! He put me on hold for a few minutes, them came back to me and said he was trying to sort it and would call back in 10 minutes. (I expected to never hear form him again) Within minutes the Airwire Fritzbox connected via fibre sent me a confirmation of connection email. KN guy called back to confirm it worked. Gobsmacked!!

Someone I know who has access to the Openeir system told me that a fibre install visit was booked into the system for the 22nd of July, after Mondays Openeir visit. Shows Openeir are clueless!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

manshay wrote: »
    Fibre finally!

On Monday Openeir turned up to check DP outside my home, there was as I expected light at the pole. My fibre tale of woe convinced the Openeir guys to come into my house and check and confirm there was light at my ONT.
    I and Airwave have tried to convince Openeir of that fact since 16th May.
    I informed Airwave of the existence of light on my connection, they advised the would let Openeir know.
    I again tried to call KN, who's engineer caused all this nonsense by not putting the correct ONT serial number in the system(or something similar). The guy at KN, (appointments line- I had no other number) listened to my tale of woe again... I explained it was the fault of their engineer. Strangely he listened, after all it was an appointments line! He put me on hold for a few minutes, them came back to me and said he was trying to sort it and would call back in 10 minutes. (I expected to never hear form him again) Within minutes the Airwire Fritzbox connected via fibre sent me a confirmation of connection email. KN guy called back to confirm it worked. Gobsmacked!!

Someone I know who has access to the Openeir system told me that a fibre install visit was booked into the system for the 22nd of July, after Mondays Openeir visit. Shows Openeir are clueless!

That is astounding that nobody activated your gpon till now I remember messaging you and telling you that it'd just be a 30second job that was a month and a half ago or so.
    It was ready to go the entire time since the light began blinking and never activated.
    What happened during that?! just being bounced around with noone knowing what the actual issue was?

What actually occourred in the timeline since your no light install?
    Baffling that nobody sussed the issue.

tuxy wrote: »
    Did he tell you not to talk about removing the PSTN line but you forgot?
    He could lose hos job over that.

PSTN line was in duct .. but when it terminated into chamber in the pavement outside the house it terminated to er ... nothing! - just lying there in the bottom of the chamber, no connections, no junction box .. nada!

And we never ever have had a PSTN/POTS phone service ever in this house - House was built 2008 and we the first tennants.

is he still in trouble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

PSTN line was in duct .. but when it terminated into chamber in the pavement outside the house it terminated to er ... nothing! - just lying there in the bottom of the chamber, no connections, no junction box .. nada!

And we never ever have had a PSTN/POTS phone service ever in this house - House was built 2008 and we the first tennants.

is he still in trouble?

It is theft to remove without permission someone else's property (Eircom's in this case).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement