Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

is he still in trouble?

He will be if you keep telling people. Best to just forget it ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It is theft to remove without permission someone else's property (Eircom's in this case).

ah shyte I dont want to get the poor lad in trouble he was so nice and helpful .

If house that was built in 2008 but never connected to any telephone pole or connected to anything in the chamber could that still have been openeir property? - IE could have open eir put that into the duct or could it have been an electrician wiring up the house (and telephone boxes) that just put a length of PSTN wire in?

see i dont know how these things work.

on another note I never actually see what he did as he was finishing up , I went inside to get a bite to eat .. maybe for all I know he put the PSTN line back into the duct .. not going back on what i said but its definatey a possibility

Tomorrow I shall nip out and open up the lid on the side of the house of the eircom box and have a look , see if he put it back ...

tcawley29 wrote: »
    He will be if you keep telling people. Best to just forget it ever happened.

only people I have told is you lot on here :o

whats said on boards should stay on boards ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

only people I have told is you lot on here :o

whats said on boards should stay on boards ;):)

If this was true I'd say we'd all have no problems using our real names

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ah shyte I dont want to get the poor lad in trouble he was so nice and helpful .

If house that was built in 2008 but never connected to any telephone pole or connected to anything in the chamber could that still have been openeir property? - IE could have open eir put that into the duct or could it have been an electrician wiring up the house (and telephone boxes) that just put a length of PSTN wire in?

see i dont know how these things work.

on another note I never actually see what he did as he was finishing up , I went inside to get a bite to eat .. maybe for all I know he put the PSTN line back into the duct .. not going back on what i said but its definatey a possibility

Tomorrow I shall nip out and open up the lid on the side of the house of the eircom box and have a look , see if he put it back ...

Do not post any results ...... leave it now with the above statement.

Yes the chamber and cable are owned by Eircom.
    In some cases the duct also.

Unless you have definite information to the contrary, then anyone, court or other, would reasonably assume the cable belongs to Eircom.

When the copper cable begins to be withdrawn, it will be stored securely because there is a considerable value in recovering all that copper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So so excited.

They are putting the black boxes up outside my house. The engineer said should be around 2 months from going live

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

I've also got a provisional date from the Airwire checker of 07/08/2019.

Fibre got run down the lane a few days ago and local DP's are going up.

Fingers crossed!

babi-hrse wrote: »
    If this was true I'd say we'd all have no problems using our real names

Touché lol

if thats a dig at me , in my defence, I only use my location in my handle so people can get a grip on what county i am from ... (oh hold on, lets re-phrase that, - what county I am living in)

no other agenda :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

When the copper cable begins to be withdrawn, it will be stored securely because there is a considerable value in recovering all that copper.

It would need to be 3 miles long before it was worth anything wasting your time with, newer telephone line has a the skinniest little copper strands in it. I had copper cladding stolen off my house when it was built.
    When I asked how much they would have got for it I was told about €20 - cost me €400 to replace it - the cost of most of it is installation.
    Copper value is very much exaggerated especially when you go to scrap it.
    You'd need be very desperate for money or just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jeepster_ie

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has info or advice on my situation.

I have a telephone pole at the entrance to my driveway, about 15 metres from my house. The nearest distribution point is a further 2 poles away, with the fibre wire reaching the pole at my driveway where it goes underground to an underground chamber about 20 metres further away. So the fibre line is passing my house.

According to the Airwire and eir checker, my area will go live on 07/08 but the checker is saying that its not available for my eircode. The nearest house to me that does get an available date is about 200 metres from me.

Is there any way to sort it or should I just wait until the live date and see then? Or am I just **** out of luck?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has info or advice on my situation.

I have a telephone pole at the entrance to my driveway, about 15 metres from my house. The nearest distribution point is a further 2 poles away, with the fibre wire reaching the pole at my driveway where it goes underground to an underground chamber about 20 metres further away. So the fibre line is passing my house.

According to the Airwire and eir checker, my area will go live on 07/08 but the checker is saying that its not available for my eircode. The nearest house to me that does get an available date is about 200 metres from me.

Is there any way to sort it or should I just wait until the live date and see then? Or am I just **** out of luck?

Is your house relatively new?

Do premises both to the left and right of yours have available dates?

Is is correct that your home is 15m from the road?

Is your house relatively new?

Do premises both to the left and right of yours have available dates?

Is is correct that your home is 15m from the road?

Thanks for the reply Dominique Loud Waistband.

The house was built in the mid 70s. There is a group of 3 houses next to me that are showing up as not available. So the nearest house with a go live date is about 200 metres away, then a gap of 100 metres or so until a group of 3 houses and I'm the last house of the 3.

And yes, 15 metres is correct.

Thanks for the reply navi.

The house was built in the mid 70s. There is a group of 3 houses next to me that are showing up as not available. So the nearest house with a go live date is about 200 metres away, then a gap of 100 metres or so until a group of 4 houses and I'm the last house of the 4.

And yes, 15 metres is correct. In the image below, 1 is the telephone pole at my house, 2 is the nearest DP and 3 is the nearest house that has a go live date.

How close are you to the exchange or nearest cabinet? Have you landline broadband at present? If so at what speed?

navi wrote: »
    How close are you to the exchange or nearest cabinet? Have you landline broadband at present? If so at what speed?

Im about 4km from the nearest exchange. The max speed of my landline broadband is 4MB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Noticed that Openeir have run a second fibre cable on top of the poles on our road. Seen it in a few other places as well now. What's the reasoning behind that? Capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MBSnr wrote: »
    Noticed that Openeir have run a second fibre cable on top of the poles on our road. Seen it in a few other places as well now. What's the reasoning behind that? Capacity?

If there are indeed two optical runs and not just optical + copper it may be a core run out to an exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

ED E wrote: »
    If there are indeed two optical runs and not just optical + copper it may be a core run out to an exchange.

They connected between Cloghan and Leabeg (Boora) in Offaly like that. Two fibre cables running out of Cloghan. One stops at the last house on the Cloghan list and the other cable continues on to Boora

Im about 4km from the nearest exchange. The max speed of my landline broadband is 4MB

It is hard to guess from an image what is going on. If you want to PM me one of the Eircodes of the group of four homes not included I can take a closer look to see what the situation is.

It is hard to guess from an image what is going on. If you want to PM me one of the Eircodes of the group of four homes not included I can take a closer look to see what the situation is.

PM sent. Thanks

PM sent. Thanks

If you put that Eircode into the fibrerollout.ie map you can see that your group of four plus the pub further on have been left out unfortunately. It is one of the more cruel omissions I've seen.

There are a few puzzling things though. You say there is a DP at point 2 in your image which is just past a small white cottage with a red roof. This building is also not included so I don't know why they have put a DP there.

You also say that the fibre cabling is passing your home when if you look at fibrerollout it should be coming from the opposite direction from the FF exchange. To have it passing your home and not be included would be odd.

I've seen areas like yours where they have included extra premises that were not on fibrerollout but I don't know how that tallies with Airwire saying you'll miss out.

I think all you can do is wait until live and hope you've been included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

ED E wrote: »

Ah that makes sense. There is a small exchange a few km that way.
    Thanks

You say there is a DP at point 2 in your image which is just past a small white cottage with a red roof. This building is also not included so I don't know why they have put a DP there.

Yeah Im confused by it myself. That cottage is listed and hasnt been lived in in 40+ years so I can understand why thats not included. OTOH, a pub thats been closed down for about 25 years is included.

There is also a road further on that is not meant to be covered according to the fibre rollout map but it also has a DP on it.

I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks. Thanks for spending your time on this Dominique Loud Waistband.

Yeah Im confused by it myself. That cottage is listed and hasnt been lived in in 40+ years so I can understand why thats not included. OTOH, a pub thats been closed down for about 25 years is included.

There is also a road further on that is not meant to be covered according to the fibre rollout map but it also has a DP on it.

I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks. Thanks for spending your time on this navi.

No problem. Sorry I can't be more definitive. Let us know what the outcome is.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

So it's almost time after a long wait for FTTH. Site survey is scheduled for sometime after wednesday next week as our ftth goes live on that day. Should be straight forward overhead install no trees or nothing in the way and the pole is close to the house.

Is it possible for them to install on the first visit or do they have to carry out the site survey first then return?

E46Dream wrote: »
    So it's almost time after a long wait for FTTH. Site survey is scheduled for sometime after wednesday next week as our ftth goes live on that day. Should be straight forward overhead install no trees or nothing in the way and the pole is close to the house.

Is it possible for them to install on the first visit or do they have to carry out the site survey first then return?

They'll install on the first visit if there are no issues.

They'll install on the first visit if there are no issues.

Ok cool. Now I've probably done the opposite to everyone else on here from what I've seen and we had an Eir sales rep call around and he convinced us to go with them because the pricing and they added in the bill pay for 10 euro a month phones. Total price 41 euro per month for 300mbps. Not sure if I'll regret this decision but anything will be better than the 3mbps I have now?

Ok cool. Now I've probably done the opposite to everyone else on here from what I've seen and we had an Eir sales rep call around and he convinced us to go with them because the pricing and they added in the bill pay for 10 euro a month phones. Total price 41 euro per month for 300mbps. Not sure if I'll regret this decision but anything will be better than the 3mbps I have now?

I'm with eir myself and have had no issues. Hopefully it will be similar for yourself.

I'm with eir myself and have had no issues. Hopefully it will be similar for yourself.

Oh that's ok I thought everyone was trying to get away from them. Can't wait to experience proper broadband sick of dealing with a slow inconsistent connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I am with eir ....... at nearly €60 per month for 150Mb/s and phone with the very lowest call plan possible.

At the time they were offering new customers a much lesser price, but refused to reduce mine although this household has been an eir/eircom customer since the mid 1980s.

So much for loyalty from eir to their customers.
    Screw them.
    I will be changing regardless cost before the end of year.

• Advertisement

I am with eir ....... at nearly €60 per month for 150Mb/s and phone with the very lowest call plan possible.

At the time they were offering new customers a much lesser price, but refused to reduce mine although this household has been an eir/eircom customer since the mid 1980s.

So much for loyalty from eir to their customers.
    Screw them.
    I will be changing regardless cost before the end of year.

Yeah I'm guessing they're offering this price to all the houses in my area too to try and get most to sign up with them. The rep did mention at the end of the 12 month contract it will go up in price most likely by a good bit, but the choice is ours whether we want to stay with them as our contract will have ended by the time the price goes up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement