Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

wow - ye wont know yourself going from 3mbps to 300mps . i went from 11mbps (on a good day) to 150mbps

- but the upload speed is a saviour too though, much much quicker now uploading videos up onto youtube and uploading files to dropbox etc ..

You will have 50mbps up on a 300mbps package wont you ..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

E46Dream wrote: »
    Yeah I'm guessing they're offering this price to all the houses in my area too to try and get most to sign up with them. The rep did mention at the end of the 12 month contract it will go up in price most likely by a good bit, but the choice is ours whether we want to stay with them as our contract will have ended by the time the price goes up.

There is a hefty fee for switching fiber between providers, so there is more to consider than just waiting for the end of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

cnocbui wrote: »
    There is a hefty fee for switching fiber between providers, so there is more to consider than just waiting for the end of the contract.

How much we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

How much we talking?

€170

The new ISP can absorb as much as they wish of that ...... some will absorb all of it for a longer than 12 month contract.

€170

The new ISP can absorb as much as they wish of that ...... some will absorb all of it for a longer than 12 month contract.

That's mad. I presume I won't have to pay as much for installation though as the fiber line will already be there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's mad. I presume I won't have to pay as much for installation though as the fiber line will already be there?

Under the old system the cost of a new install was €272 and a switch cost €2.50. Generally the ISP would charge €100 install to the customer and absorb the rest of the cost and get it back with whatever monthly billing model they used.
    Open Eir wanted to change this as companies like Sky were basing their whole business model around special offers to convince people to switch after the other provider had paid the large install cost. Because of the install cost the original provider could still be down money after 12 months but Sky could offer that customer really low rates and still make a profit.

The new system means the ISPs pays €170 for both an install and switch. So even if you have a line already installed the cost to the provider you switch to will be €170 and as Johnboy1951 said it's up to them how much of that is passed on to the customer and in some cases it is totally absorbed by the provider if you sign a long contract.

I appear to be one who 'fell between the cracks'.
    I paid €100 for installation, and the change cost at the time was €2.50, so I was prepared to take a chance on my first provider as it would cost little to change.

Then they (Comreg) changed the goal posts during my contract which means my change after contract expires could well cost me as much again as my initial installation, and not the €2.50 I had based my decision on.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,358 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Questions guys when Eir will be doing the site survey for installation of the Fibre, god forbid they cannot install on that day when would they be back to try re-installing or does that depend on why they couldn't install? Just like a better idea how it works?

I am slightly worried though that I'd like Eir to install the fibre in a converted attic and i'm unsure will they.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Headshot wrote: »

I am slightly worried though that I'd like Eir to install the fibre in a converted attic and i'm unsure will they.

Generally they don't but it depends on the installer on the day afaik.

limnam wrote: »
    Generally they don't but it depends on the installer on the day afaik.

Would they also be strict on connecting the fibre equipment to the mains or would an extension lead do?

• Advertisement

Having had my installation done in my attic, I would say the more you can do to make it the easiest and most logical option, the better your chances. I had mains sockets already installed and all the gear is plugged into and powered from a muti-socket power-board / extension lead. I offered to do, and did, the job of feeding the cable from where it entered the loft over to the floored section where the installation happened. The loft is also flood lit with plenty of light.

Having had my installation done in my attic, I would say the more you can do to make it the easiest and most logical option, the better your chances. I had mains sockets already installed and all the gear is plugged into and powered from a muti-socket power-board / extension lead. I offered to do, and did, the job of feeding the cable from where it entered the loft over to the floored section where the installation happened. The loft is also flood lit with plenty of light.

Thanks for your feedback.

How would feeding the cable stuff work? I was under the impression that Engineers would run that themselves but you did that? Would that of cause your install to be delayed and Engineers would have to come back another day?

Headshot wrote: »
    Would they also be strict on connecting the fibre equipment to the mains or would an extension lead do?

My install used an extension lead ..... there was work going on in the area and that was my excuse if there was an objection, but there was none. :)

They are forbidden from doing work in attics because of the danger of falling through or damaging the plasterboard ceiling. My cable comes from a duct, through a block wall into a boiler room and then ascends from the floor level hole up through a hole made in the ceiling for it. I was up in the loft perched on the beams and then pulled up a length of the cable while the installer fed it to me from in the boiler room. I then drew the cable across the loft to where it was to be terminated to the equipment.

I was told by the Eir sales team the cable could be brought to the chimney. Having been reading this thread for some time, I thought this very doubtful. I recounted this to the installer, saying I only agreed to sign up for fibre on the promise this could be done. He said they wouldn't I then asked for the loft as a secondary rout, offering to pull the cable, and asked to see a fibre terminating connector to see if it would fit through the duct in the wall the existing phone line passes through, saying if it would fit, I would pull the cable through the loft and feed it down to where the existing EIR phone socket and my broadband router was, and he could install it all there, but that after he had left, I would pull the fibre cable back up the wall into the loft where I would re-install everything. He then said he would install it in the loft.

I had earlier said that if he would only install it in a bedroom by bringing the cable overhead to wall, I would opt out of having fibre installed.

My FTTH seems to be playing silly buggers tonight. Speedtest starting off at 120mbps and then tailing off to 50mbps and down to 30mbps. Very unstable. Hasn't done that before. It's lashing down outside I know and my sky keeps going choppy , saying cannot receive signal I know that's a completely different thing and that's the rain on the lnb of the sky dish but bad rain shouldn't affect FTTH fibre really should it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No, I've never had any trouble during storms. Even with the overhead cable moving all over the place the light still finds its way just fine.

I want to have my fibre line coming in overhead aswell and into the attic where the phone line enters in. I can get up into the attic and feed the line down to the installer if need be, so hopefully that will be ok although I questioned the sales rep about it and he said the installer can go into the attic with my permission?

Also on another note I'm wondering how long you guys installation took? Particularly overhead as that's what I'll be going with. Will I need time off work to be at the house when it's being installed?

I want to have my fibre line coming in overhead aswell and into the attic where the phone line enters in. I can get up into the attic and feed the line down to the installer if need be, so hopefully that will be ok although I questioned the sales rep about it and he said the installer can go into the attic with my permission?

Also on another note I'm wondering how long you guys installation took? Particularly overhead as that's what I'll be going with. Will I need time off work to be at the house when it's being installed?

have all holes drilled - then put a rope through all the holes as a draw wire and leave it in situ where you want the fibre cable run - then theres no need to have installer go up in attic - dont forget to have a double electrical socket next (or near) to where the fibre cable will be so the installer can plug in the ONT and the wireless Router Modem .

leave yourself a couple of hours from start to finish. - I have never heard of any installs where the house owner hasnt have to attend . - and of course you will also need to be there at the time to let him into the house to terminate/splice the fibre cable to the ONT which will live indoors ..

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Going to go with eir for internet. Was offered unlimited broadband (non fibre) unlimited calls and eir sports for 1 year 40euro a month plus 40 installation fee. All I have is the ducting underground on my site. House built in the boom. In the ducting thou, there was a rope going through it. I can't see it now, it's either been cut and still there or someone has pulled it out. Does eir still manage to get the cable through or will I have to somehow get a new rope through it. It's in a small hill.

Another thing, I was asked on live chat for my banking details. Is it ok to give?

So you are not getting fibre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

So you are not getting fibre?

Can't get it. I'm in the country side

So am I and I have it. That's why it was referred to as the rural FTTH program.
    You are in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kingbhome is yet again in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

kingbhome wrote: »
    Going to go with eir for internet. Was offered unlimited broadband (non fibre) unlimited calls and eir sports for 1 year 40euro a month plus 40 installation fee. All I have is the ducting underground on my site. House built in the boom. In the ducting thou, there was a rope going through it. I can't see it now, it's either been cut and still there or someone has pulled it out. Does eir still manage to get the cable through or will I have to somehow get a new rope through it. It's in a small hill.

Another thing, I was asked on live chat for my banking details. Is it ok to give?

So yea not related to FTTH - but Eirs contractors even for a copper lines, would want a pull rope but most have cobra reel type devices to pull a rope and/or cable once both ends of that duct are free/accessible and there isn't any breaks/kinks in the duct. More info here.

So now that the trench was dug into the ducting I apparently have an install date of next monday.

Again, will believe when I see it

OK I believe it.

150 at the minute, cancelling that and going to push it to 350Mb (It's cheaper for some reason)

It's a full FTTH 1Gb line.
    Only took 9 months, and about 2 after I really started to make noise and, frankly, become obnoxious to whomever I spoke to on calls. I hate that I had to become an absolute dickhead to random people but it seems that is the only way to get this done.
    That and getting several TD's questioning them (at the opportune time, making their €1 Billion claim)

The squeaky wheel, gets the oil. Glad you finally have it. Sounds weird that 300 would be cheaper than 150. That is the first mention of such a thing i have seen on this thread. Most of the internet can't serve it up to you at 150, let alone 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

babi-hrse wrote: »
    That is astounding that nobody activated your gpon till now I remember messaging you and telling you that it'd just be a 30second job that was a month and a half ago or so.
    It was ready to go the entire time since the light began blinking and never activated.
    What happened during that?! just being bounced around with noone knowing what the actual issue was?

What actually occourred in the timeline since your no light install?
    Baffling that nobody sussed the issue.

No light install 15th May
    PON flashing green 16th May
    KN made an appointment for completion of install 4th June
    KN rang to cancel install(Openeir said DP was inactive) 31st May

I made many phone calls to Airwire.
    Airwire told me they have have 4 levels of fault with Openeir, they eventually escalated to the 4th level.
    Openeir seem to completely ignore them.
    The resolution was simple- it was in Openeir's own documents that a non expert like me could read!
    The installation process seems dysfunctional.

The squeaky wheel, gets the oil. Glad you finally have it. Sounds weird that 300 would be cheaper than 150. That is the first mention of such a thing i have seen on this thread. Most of the internet can't serve it up to you at 150, let alone 300.

485938.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

check after 12 month pricing

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    check after 12 month pricing

Yeah but I don't care about that as the contract is a 12month too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement