Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

My Eir supplied router has developed the famous wifi drop-out issues - possibly due to a lot of client devices. SOunds like it is pointless requesting a new one.

I have phone through this router and want to maintain this. WHat router would people recommend if I was to purchase my own router and leave the Eir device in bridge mode? Guessing the VOIP phone will still work with this configuration?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fritzbox is probably one of the best. I currently have a TP-Link C7 AC1750 as the main router with the F2000 connected to it to provide the VOIP functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Yeah but I don't care about that as the contract is a 12month too

What are your plans after 12 months?
    It's 170 to hop elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

babi-hrse wrote: »
    It is still free switch to Airwire (18 months contract)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

manshay wrote: »
    No light install 15th May
    PON flashing green 16th May
    KN made an appointment for completion of install 4th June
    KN rang to cancel install(Openeir said DP was inactive) 31st May

I made many phone calls to Airwire.
    Airwire told me they have have 4 levels of fault with Openeir, they eventually escalated to the 4th level.
    Openeir seem to completely ignore them.
    The resolution was simple- it was in Openeir's own documents that a non expert like me could read!
    The installation process seems dysfunctional.

So kn rang and said openeir told us dp is not active so we'll get back to you?

• Advertisement

babi-hrse wrote: »

Change tariff within same company or switch to another is maths work out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

cnocbui wrote: »
    Fritzbox is probably one of the best. I currently have a TP-Link C7 AC1750 as the main router with the F2000 connected to it to provide the VOIP functionality.

I have two Fritzboxes - a 7560 as the main mesh master and a 2nd 7530 as a mesh device. By far the best home router devices I've owned. Lots of nice tweaks that you can do with them. Emailed reports, changing the name of devices etc.

My only gripe is that AVM (main company) are getting slower in pushing updates for their International model versions. It's minor thing but an annoyance. The German version of the 7560 got v7.10 four months ago and only the other week got a bug fix update v7.11. Mine's still running v7.01. The International versions used to lag behind by a few weeks before getting the updates, but now it's months before they seem to get any software updates...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

MBSnr wrote: »
    I have two Fritzboxes - a 7560 as the main mesh master and a 2nd 7530 as a mesh device. By far the best home router devices I've owned. Lots of nice tweaks that you can do with them. Emailed reports, changing the name of devices etc.

My only gripe is that AVM (main company) are getting slower in pushing updates for their International model versions. It's minor thing but an annoyance. The German version of the 7560 got v7.10 four months ago and only the other week got a bug fix update v7.11. Mine's still running v7.01. The International versions used to lag behind by a few weeks before getting the updates, but now it's months before they seem to get any software updates...

My 7530 updated itself to 7.10 on 6th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Our area goes live for FTTH this wednesday, should I be expecting an install by Eir either on that day or Thursday/Friday?

On the sheet the rep gave us it says "Preferred survey date 24th of July".

iPhone. wrote: »
    My 7530 updated itself to 7.10 on 6th of May.

So did mine. However the 7560 is the mesh master and some functions (wifi mesh steering for example) require v7.10 and above. The 7560 is still running v7.01.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

So did mine. However the 7560 is the mesh master and some functions (wifi mesh steering for example) require v7.10 and above. The 7560 is still running v7.01.

That's a bit unintuitive of them alright, I know its of no use to you, but just wondering for my own set up, if I go the mesh route would it be better to use two 7530's or do you need a 7560 as the master?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I have two Fritzboxes - a 7560 The German version of the 7560 got v7.10 four months ago and only the other week got a bug fix update v7.11. Mine's still running v7.01. The International versions used to lag

Obvious question, could you flash it with German firmware somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

My FTTH connection is a bit over the shop at the moment - like when/as I do the speedtest us up and down. I am on the 150mbps package. My link speed from laptop to wireless router* is at constant 300mbps with no dropouts.

11ms seems good - 4ms jitter , I dont know whats going on there its normally 1ms jitter.

heres a screen capture I recorded whist doing the speed test so you can see how down the speed goes to as its doing the test

https://vimeo.com/349532459

*I know i'm checking it on wireless at the moment , and i know I should be testing hard wired , but I have pulled my back at the moment so tough to be crawling round on floor plugging in and out ethernet cables and the like ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yeah but I don't care about that as the contract is a 12month too
    Change tariff within same company or switch to another is maths work out

Change tariff with the same company (as in Eir) won't happen. That's why they have the pricing like that.

Even if you are a phone, ADSL or VDSL customer with them, they won't give you those prices. You have to be a "new" customer for that pricing to apply.

/M

So now you finally have fibre and you still aren't happy. By the way, I saw that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

So now you finally have fibre and you still aren't happy. By the way, I saw that coming.

Next he's going to try and replace the ONT with something he bought from eBay ..

/M

I have heard you can get ones from there that give you 3 times the speed with a much lower ping. It's a very popular mod I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have heard you can get ones from there that give you 3 times the speed with a much lower ping. It's a very popular mod I hear.

I hear if you run speed test 100 times a day for a month you unlock a special achievement. Or at least you would think so judging by the way some people obsessively run it.

hmmm ... I dont know about complaining , I'm not complaining at all I have much better speeds now .... would I have thought it would have been better/more reliable experience than it is ? ... answer is yes .

However when something is not consistent ,or thereabouts , it does I must say cause alarm bells ringing and I get a bit curious

No I am not goint to replace it with a different ONT, although I have not done any research into these clams I have listened to the greater powers on here who say that the ONT serial number is locked to the OLT and that a rogue ONT can affect other users in the area and felt the need not to pursue that line of curiousness any more

leex wrote: »
    .. WHat router would people recommend if I was to purchase my own router and leave the Eir device in bridge mode? Guessing the VOIP phone will still work with this configuration?

I have a FritzBox 7530 (with up to date firmware) and a Huawei HG659 AC wireless router.

I have tried both out and IRL in my house and with the equipment (laptops tablets, phones etc) I have found this the best set up personally :

Fritzbox as the Modem - HG659 as the Wireless Router for the house - phone plugged into fritzbox (correction the fritzbox has DECT built in so I have a DECT handset registered to that) - and a USB external HDD plugged into the fritzbox USB Fritznas socket .

This , in my situation I have found ideal and good signal around the house.

If i go back to using the Fritzbox as the wireless router there is a tablet I use in the upstairs room and the signal is pretty weak with the fritzbox and drops out a bit - with the HG659 its only about another 1 bar signal extra but it makes all the difference and doesnt cut out .

one of my laptops downstairs gets constant 300mbps link speed from 5g signal from the HG659 ... if i have the wireless from the Fritzbox on the same laptop the link speed goes down to 216mbps to 250mps at the most - so from that deduction i have deemed the HG659 to have better wireless coverage in my house than the Fritzbox ... even though a lot of people would go for a fritzbox over a HG659 any day ...

• Advertisement

alec76 wrote: »
    Obvious question, could you flash it with German firmware somehow?

Apparently not according to reports. To be honest, it's my minor gripe with them and it'll come eventually and I'll probably not notice much difference anyhow!

How can eir be doing this kind of thing?

only 12month contracts ... putting the price up after 12 months to higher price ... but knowing that the people would just go with another provider?

It does not seem like a logical way to keep / force the customer to stay with them .

Why dont they put the price up after 12months but require the subscriber to take out an 18 month contract or do a contract of 12months but price goes up after 6months - seems more logical and better for them?

So, a plan of say 12months contract but 30eur for 6months and 50eur (or whatever it is) after 6months

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

My FTTH connection is a bit over the shop at the moment - like when/as I do the speedtest us up and down. I am on the 150mbps package. My link speed from laptop to wireless router* is at constant 300mbps with no dropouts.

11ms seems good - 4ms jitter , I dont know whats going on there its normally 1ms jitter.

heres a screen capture I recorded whist doing the speed test so you can see how down the speed goes to as its doing the test

*I know i'm checking it on wireless at the moment , and i know I should be testing hard wired , but I have pulled my back at the moment so tough to be crawling round on floor plugging in and out ethernet cables and the like ..

Your speeds are fine any issues you have will be down to your config or equipment

iPhone. wrote: »
    That's a bit unintuitive of them alright, I know its of no use to you, but just wondering for my own set up, if I go the mesh route would it be better to use two 7530's or do you need a 7560 as the master?

You can use two 7530 devices. The only reason I have a 7560 as the master is that it was the device supplied by Digiweb and I bought the 7530 afterwards directly from Airwire. The 7560 has supposedly a slightly faster CPU over the 7530, so it made sense to keep it as the main device.

tuxy wrote: »
    I hear if you run speed test 100 times a day for a month you unlock a special achievement. Or at least you would think so judging by the way some people obsessively run it.

precisely running it 100 times a day would be obsessive

Running a few different times of the day to gauge how the connection/speeds are doing would be a sensible idea though - especially if you feel sometimes there might a problem somewhere with speeds and dropouts

You're on Digiweb, as am I. The ping we get is around 11-16ms for Irish sites. My neighbour has the same on their connection for Digiweb. I guess all traffic routes via a number of devices back to their own network in Dublin, so even though I'm on the west caost, tests to Airwire go via Dublin no doubt. Anyhow the ping makes no odds to me. Jitter can vary over wireless a fair bit. On wired it is normally about 1ms. Doing any test over wireless is meaningless as other factors can vary the results. My phone drops the speed if bluetooth is running....

Cyrus wrote: »
    Your speeds are fine any issues you have will be down to your config or equipment

I'll check more when my back is better. I will hard wire it to laptop and see what I have then before I make any more assumptions .

I would be the same if I bought a car that had an advertised speed of 160mph but i could only get 130mph out of it, I would be back to the dealers questioning why.

at the moment I am on a 150mbps package and I really thought I would get 150mbps solid on FTTH or thereabouts or say 140mps but on the whole I do a speed test its around the 90-100mbps on speedtest . and many variations in speed from one time of checking to the others . and sometimes going down as low as 30mbps !

But yeah as you say could be equipment or because I am checking it on a wireless connection maybe ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

Cyrus wrote: »

:cool:

You're on Digiweb, as am I. The ping we get is around 11-16ms for Irish sites. My neighbour has the same on their connection for Digiweb. I guess all traffic routes via a number of devices back to their own network in Dublin, so even though I'm on the west caost, tests to Airwire go via Dublin no doubt. Anyhow the ping makes no odds to me. Jitter can vary over wireless a fair bit. On wired it is normally about 1ms. Doing any test over wireless is meaningless as other factors can vary the results. My phone drops the speed if bluetooth is running....

funny you should say about phones - I got a Xiaomi there last Christmas , wireless Link speed (5g connection) reports 135mbps

whereas my old windows 7 laptop with a internal dual Band wireless card in it that I use reports a link speed to modem of 300mbps

You would think the phone seeing as its a lot newer would have a better link speed than 135mbs wouldnt you , I dont know whats going on there - and i have the bluetooth off . You would think if an old laptop can achieve 300mbps link speed from laptop to router that one of the latest mobile handsets could match that

• Advertisement

funny you should say about phones - I got a Xiaomi there last Christmas , wireless Link speed (5g connection) reports 135mbps

whereas my old windows 7 laptop with a internal dual Band wireless card in it that I use reports a link speed to modem of 300mbps

You would think the phone seeing as its a lot newer would have a better link speed than 135mbs wouldnt you , I dont know whats going on there - and i have the bluetooth off . You would think if an old laptop can achieve 300mbps link speed from laptop to router that one of the latest mobile handsets could match that

Put on the Fritzbox WLAN app from the Play Store. It'll tell you the connection speed to the router - even if not a Fritzbox. Mine is currently at 100Mbps on 2.4GHz. Turn on Bluetooth and it's 38Mbps....
    Seems that Bluetooth shares the antenna in the phone. Cheaper to do that I guess. The laptop probably has more expensive components in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement