Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have noticed when sharing files between devices via bluetooth, that if i turn off wifi on both devices, the transfer speed increases significantly. This happens even when of them is my Macbook Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

MBSnr wrote: »
    Put on the Fritzbox WLAN app from the Play Store. It'll tell you the connection speed to the router - even if not a Fritzbox. Mine is currently at 100Mbps on 2.4GHz. Turn on Bluetooth and it's 38Mbps....
    Seems that Bluetooth shares the antenna in the phone. Cheaper to do that I guess. The laptop probably has more expensive components in it.

Thank you - yep thats handy it works with other routers not just FritzBox.

Mines the same with and without bluetooth on , just tested it there

486016.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I'll check more

Don't bother, you're not going to change a thing, absolutely nothing.

I really don't see the point, you have been told so many times that a wired connection is the only way to go yet to seem to ignore the advice because it doesn't suit you.

The connection works, it's a lot better than what you had before.

Can you not just be happy

Marlow wrote: »
    Change tariff with the same company (as in Eir) won't happen. That's why they have the pricing like that.

Even if you are a phone, ADSL or VDSL customer with them, they won't give you those prices. You have to be a "new" customer for that pricing to apply.

/M

Advertised as re-contracting prices and new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Don't bother, you're not going to change a thing, absolutely nothing.

I really don't see the point, you have been told so many times that a wired connection is the only way to go yet to seem to ignore the advice because it doesn't suit you.

The connection works, it's a lot better than what you had before.

Can you not just be happy

Or else Andy - put your money where your mouth is and buy some wifi 6 devices :D

• Advertisement

turbbo wrote: »
    Or else Andy - put your money where your mouth is and buy some wifi 6 devices :D

I have already got a 300mbps link speed from my laptop to my router and only on a 150mbps ... tell me what / how a wifi 6 device is going to help me ?

Genuinly that is , i'm not being arsey or anything, just explain please - if I have a constant 300mbs link rate from laptop to wireless router and my broadband connection was at or near as dammit to 150mbps would I not be getting that?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have already got a 300mbps link speed from my laptop to my router and only on a 150mbps ... tell me what / how a wifi 6 device is going to help me ?

Genuinly that is , i'm not being arsey or anything, just explain please - if I have a constant 300mbs link rate from laptop to wireless router and my broadband connection was at or near as dammit to 150mbps would I not be getting that?

300Mb/s is the air interface rate. It has almost nothing whatsoever to do with the capacity of the radio link to carry traffic, apart from setting an absolute physical upper limit on it. It's basically a shorthand way of saying that the router's radio and your laptop's radio have agreed to connect with a particular channel bandwidth and modulation parameters that could, theoretically, in the most perfect conditions imaginable, send 300Mb/s unidirectionally in short bursts.

Speed tests on WiFi are meaningless. They tell you nothing about your fibre connection. If you judge the quality of your fibre connection by the speeds you get on wireless, you might just as well judge it by how fast the lights are blinking on the router.

Can someone explain to me if FTTH connections have / suffer from contentions like ADSL etc IE like 8:1 if one DP serves 8 connections like ?

and does SIRO suffer from contention? and does that work on GPON like FTTH?

I have tried googling to try and understand and getting conflicting views , one site saying FTTH is 1:1 but then another saying its a Gpon system and is shared and suffers from contention from other users but because its a fast connection you dont notice it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Can someone explain to me if FTTH connections have / suffer from contentions like ADSL etc IE like 8:1 if one DP serves 8 connections like ?

and does SIRO suffer from contention? and does that work on GPON like FTTH?

I have tried googling to try and understand and getting conflicting views , one site saying FTTH is 1:1 but then another saying its a Gpon system and is shared and suffers from contention from other users but because its a fast connection you dont notice it .

Dude, just search the thread. That has been asked and answered....and as usual at some point it was you that asked
    I suppose if you got 150mbps connection and even with contention (because its shared Gpon it still suffers contention doesnt it?) but because its such a high speed you would hardly notice it.

fritzelly wrote: »
    The point with higher speed downloads is that even with contention people are only using the bandwidth for a very short time instead of 30 mins and more on a DSL/FTTC connection
    Very few people would even notice contention on FTTH if at all.
    Even if one or 2 were using it at 1gbps there is traffic shaping so no one person can suddenly hamper all other users when they need BW
    of course yes i never thought of that, conversely if a file downloads quicker it is going to free up the connection quicker. it kind of makes sense

What has happened to common courtesy and help these days on here? - is it something to do with the moons at the moment ? - some people awful touchy.

I cant be (I know I'm not) to ask same questions over and over again on this thread where its already been asked numerously .. yet i seem to be the only one pulled up on it and told to do a search instead of someone just replying again ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Sorry Andy, but why should people have to continuously take the time to regurgitate information because you can't be bothered to search?

You've been pulled up on it because you've done it continuously, which is noticeable to even someone like me, who largely only browses this thread on the periphery and joined late at that.

Sorry Andy, but why should people have to continuously take the time to regurgitate information because you can't be bothered to search?....

Because they do it with other people and ask their questions who ask for the umpteenth time and don't tell them to go do a search through the thread ....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have Andy on ignore for quite a while, my heart sinks whenever they get involved in a thread because whilst most people can grasp a concept after a good or detailed explanation...
    Andy takes that explanation, reinterprets it, mangles that reinterpretation, then repeats it, mangles it some more, then forgets entirely what was painstakingly explained by some very patient contributers.

Then proceeds to ask the same question again a while later, not bothering to search the previous answers given, and gets a pissy "I'm only trying to learn" attitude.

Forums are by their nature quite repetitive, but it's when the same poster that is source of quite a big portion of the repetition, I must say it's hugely annoying (to me at least).

That other more dedicated and knowledgeable posters keep pace with the inanity and keep contributing really is a credit to their patience and altruism.

I shudder when I see him quoted even :(

I'm sure I have a similar effect on some others but across multiple forums, car crash and annoyance.
    I have people on here that I vehemently disagree with on a regular basis that aren't on ignore.
    Over my many many years on boards, it's a list of 2 and one of them was an actual stalker...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭KildareP

Because they do it with other people and ask their questions who ask for the umpteenth time and don't tell them to go do a search through the thread ....

Asking a repeat question because you ( don't know / can't understand / forgot ) the answer and you didn't search is one thing.

Asking a repeat question because you don't like the answer and associated explanation is another thing altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What has happened to common courtesy and help these days on here?

You abused and exhausted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

cnocbui wrote: »
    You abused and exhausted it.

Now that is if anything, an understatement ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Our FTTH is going live next week. Just ordered this evening with Digiweb. I must say it was so easy to order and get set up. If the install goes as smooth I’ll be delighted. Fingers crossed.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

tell me what / how a wifi 6 device is going to help me ?

It would give you faster speeds because that is WHAT you were complaining about now for the HOW - interference causes speed drops over wireless - wifi 6 is a technology that handles interference very well hence the suggestion. As many posters here have said - your fibre connection is not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It’s a good thing he didn’t get a 1gb connection is all I’ll say :D

• Advertisement

Just had a eir sales rep at the door :

"I see you got your Fibre installed?"

me: yep, i went with Digiweb,

Him: how much did they charge you?

Me: 49euro install and 55per month for 150mbps

Him: I could have matched that and give you 300mbps for 40per month

Me: you told me it would cost 99eur installation plus 29eur connection fee?

Him: yeah well thats changed now , we are given a certain amount of deals we can put into use ...

Cyrus wrote: »
    It’s a good thing he didn’t get a 1gb connection is all I’ll say :D

why? - I'd love to try it. I realise that most of the servers cannot handles 1gbps and that equipment and even 802.11ac and even a new laptop with ac card in it would more than likely give you on average around 850mbps mark on wireless if your lucky

But on my connection I am not talking 1gbps - I have 150mps (supposedly) and a constant link speed at 300mbps from laptop to wireless router on 802.11n according to my adapter info and near to router and no interfereance hampering that link

...I have... a constant link speed at 300mbps from laptop to wireless router...

No, you don't. Your laptop is reporting an air interface rate of 300Mb/s. That's not the same as link speed. I've explained this already, and you thanked the post where I explained it, so I assume you read it.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No, you don't. Your laptop is reporting an air interface rate of 300Mb/s. That's not the same as link speed. I've explained this already, and you thanked the post where I explained it, so I assume you read it.

OK , I am going to have to read up on it then because I thought the 300mbps the adaptor was showing in the adaptor info was link speed .

So now I will have to read up and educate myself on what the difference is between Link Speed and air interface rate - I apologise I thought they were the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

why? - I'd love to try it. I realise that most of the servers cannot handles 1gbps and that equipment and even 802.11ac and even a new laptop with ac card in it would more than likely give you on average around 850mbps mark on wireless if your lucky

But on my connection I am not talking 1gbps - I have 150mps (supposedly) and a constant link speed at 300mbps from laptop to wireless router on 802.11n according to my adapter info and near to router and no interfereance hampering that link

You would drive yourself made trying to get a consistent 1gb speed test download

As everyone has said just test it wired if you are getting full speed which you will be forget about it and enjoy your broadband

Are you experiencing any really world bottlenecks over WiFi ?

OK , I am going to have to read up on it then because I thought the 300mbps the adaptor was showing in the adaptor info was link speed .

So now I will have to read up and educate myself on what the difference is between Link Speed and air interface rate - I apologise I thought they were the same thing

Why do you care? If you're worried that you're not getting 150Mb/s from your FTTH connection, test wired. If you're trying to get 150Mb/s wirelessly, why? How exactly is the throughput you're currently getting cramping your style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Most my wifi devices are around 50Mbps, day to day use it feels the same as my pc that's wired. It's only when I need a really large file that I ensure I use the PC that's wired in.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

So ftth went live today in our area and they've already completed 3 houses supposedly. Rang eir today and they said our premises is due for Friday or Monday installation. Actually surprised I wonder how many people signed up with them in our area, it seems to be a lot. Does the installation go in order of who signed up first? Because I think they done 2 houses down one end of our road and 1 up the other end.

Also we're one of the closest houses other than 2 more that are nearest the exchange, will we receive closer to our package speeds than say a house furthest from the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

E46Dream wrote: »
    So ftth went live today in our area and they've already completed 3 houses supposedly. Rang eir today and they said our premises is due for Friday or Monday installation. Actually surprised I wonder how many people signed up with them in our area, it seems to be a lot. Does the installation go in order of who signed up first? Because I think they done 2 houses down one end of our road and 1 up the other end.

Also we're one of the closest houses other than 2 more that are nearest the exchange, will we receive closer to our package speeds than say a house furthest from the exchange?

If it's FTTH distance shouldn't have any impact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes with FTTH it either works at full speed or not at all.
    I believe the system Eir uses has a range of 20km from the exchange.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement