Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

And itll never operate at max range or max split ratio.

The only slowdown is you sharing with 30 other customers. In 2025 that might be a problem. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »
    And itll never operate at max range or max split ratio.

The only slowdown is you sharing with 30 other customers. In 2025 that might be a problem. Maybe.

It is a problem already now. But only on certain exchanges and only for customers with 1 Gbit/s FTTH connections. OpenEIR do not have enough capacity into some areas.

Those on 150 and 300 Mbit/s are fine.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

but an ISP could throttle FTTH surely - if you went over cap or something?

and want about where an ISP could change the Db figure or noise (SNR) thing whatever it was on the connection ? .. or does that only applicable to copper?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

but an ISP could throttle FTTH surely - if you went over cap or something?

yes, they can.
    and want about where an ISP could change the Db figure or noise (SNR) thing whatever it was on the connection ? .. or does that only applicable to copper?

No. That's not a thing with FTTH. FTTH either works ... or it does not. But that has already been explained to you.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    yes, they can.

No. That's not a thing with FTTH. FTTH either works ... or it does not. But that has already been explained to you.

/M

thank you , I apologize for double checking just to make sure I got it right :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

On Eir’s website it’s saying that I’m outside the scope of FTTH when I input my eircode (house is 100 metres from blue line, neighbours on both side of me are eligible) but on Airwire I have a go live date when I input my eircode? Could I be in luck?

Wow!! - 146mbps on a 150mbps FTTH package and this on a wireless N card fitted on my laptop and the laptop about 25ft from the router - this is definately the highest figure I have had since I got FTTH installed , I have been doing regular speedtests since I have had it installed and have normally been getting around 100 / 120mps on average.

If it stays like this that will be good. also feels quicker/more stable (but maybe its in my head especially after seeing the figure)

486283.jpg

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

So my initial install date is coming up in 2 weeks, i have been looking around to try and figure out the best way to setup for the installer. The copper line that supply's our house is run from a telephone pole located on my neighbours property. At the moment this is surrounded by small trees planted by our neighbour which have grown so high over the years that they are hitting off our line, most noticeably today during stronger winds.

What do you think will happen with this situation when the engineer comes out?

Where is the DP? If the span from the roadside isn't too long they might be able to come directly from existing poles.

OpenEir don't have an ESB style wayleave so if the neighbor gets stroppy it could be a pain for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Wow!! - 146mbps on a 150mbps FTTH package and this on a wireless N card fitted on my laptop and the laptop about 25ft from the router - this is definately the highest figure I have had since I got FTTH installed , I have been doing regular speedtests since I have had it installed and have normally been getting around 100 / 120mps on average.

If it stays like this that will be good. also feels quicker/more stable (but maybe its in my head especially after seeing the figure)

486283.jpg
    Give it a rest ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Video wrote: »
    So my initial install date is coming up in 2 weeks, i have been looking around to try and figure out the best way to setup for the installer. The copper line that supply's our house is run from a telephone pole located on my neighbours property. At the moment this is surrounded by small trees planted by our neighbour which have grown so high over the years that they are hitting off our line, most noticeably today during stronger winds.

What do you think will happen with this situation when the engineer comes out?

You'll need to seek permission from your neibhour for a line to be ran overhead across their property to you. Otherwise installer will send for the job to be rescheduled if your neibhour cannot be contacted on the day to grant permission. Other option is for a pole to be landed to bring network over to your garden and up to house but that is another 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

detective wrote: »
    On Eir’s website it’s saying that I’m outside the scope of FTTH when I input my eircode (house is 100 metres from blue line, neighbours on both side of me are eligible) but on Airwire I have a go live date when I input my eircode? Could I be in luck?

When you say the eir website do you mean fibrerollout.ie?

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Give it a rest ffs

try and be nicer to people ffs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Install got moved to tomorrow morning! Hopefully it will be straight forward and I can have it for the weekend!

What's the story with the router location will the installer figure where is best for it or do we choose? On our existing setup the router is down one end of the bungalow in a bedroom where it's safe from kids etc lol. I know they reccomend centre of the house which is probably best for coverage all round. If I want to connect something in a bedroom by ethernet how will this be possible? Is it possible to have 2 routers one either end?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

When you say the eir website do you mean fibrerollout.ie?

Yes that’s what I mean sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes with FTTH it either works at full speed or not at all.
    I believe the system Eir uses has a range of 20km from the exchange.
    Interesting, the KN guy said that the nearest exchange to me was in Westport, and the Fibre follows the exact path of the road all the way to Newport at the very least, putting me at ~50Km from the exchange
    rlXa7Qy.png

detective wrote: »
    Yes that’s what I mean sorry.

fibrerollout is not accurate. eir have passed additional premises that are not represented on that map. I assume that because you are getting a positive result on Airwire that you will be covered.

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Interesting, the KN guy said that the nearest exchange to me was in Westport, and the Fibre follows the exact path of the road all the way to Newport at the very least, putting me at ~50Km from the exchange

That is complete nonsense. There is no way the OLT is in Westport. There is an exchange in Mulranny? That is likely where your fibre is coming from.

Edit: There is also an exchange in Currane so you could be getting it from there either.

That is complete nonsense. There is no way the OLT is in Westport. There is an exchange in Mulranny? That is likely where your fibre is coming from.

Edit: There is also an exchange in Currane so you could be getting it from there either.
    There 100% isn't an exchange in Currane, there may be one in Mulranny if I've misunderstood what a fibre exchange entails, but there's minimal supporting infrastructure along the way. Same 2 thick lines and 1 fibre line on the poles all the way to Newport.
    Westport on the other hand does feed into Eir's main fibre network.
    g7v9h2Z.png

• Advertisement

Westport is the parent exchange of both Currane and Mulranny along with nine other smaller exchanges. Therefore technically your traffic will end up in Westport as that is where other ISPs will pick it up. However GPON has a maximum distance of 20km and the way eir have designed their network I'd be surprised if there are many >10km links so there has to be an OLT closer to you than Westport.

I'm not familiar with the area so am relying on maps and eir deployment plans. Currane has a planned cabinet that is not on Streetview and Mulranny is weird in that the "exchange" is up a lane that is not on Streetview and seems to be at the back of a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

try and be nicer to people ffs :D

Andy... We just don't need to know this stuff. You have 150Mbps internet. It works. Leave alone. Post if it doesn't work and you didn't break it yourself.

Go watch a cat video or something.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Andy... We just don't need to know this stuff. You have 150Mbps internet. It works. Leave alone. Post if it doesn't work and you didn't break it yourself.

Go watch a cat video or something.

i did post when it didnt work / only getting around 100mbps and look where it got me.

anyway its working as should now. maybe they put a brighter light through the fibre or re-spliced something or flicked another switch .. I dont know the ins and outs of how these things work

but anyway, it seems fixed now and more stable so yous will not hear from me again ....

about this subject :)

thought i was being nice following up my previous complaints with an update / telling people it had been fixed

Westport is the parent exchange of both Currane and Mulranny along with nine other smaller exchanges. Therefore technically your traffic will end up in Westport as that is where other ISPs will pick it up. However GPON has a maximum distance of 20km and the way eir have designed their network I'd be surprised if there are many >10km links so there has to be an OLT closer to you than Westport.

I'm not familiar with the area so am relying on maps and eir deployment plans. Currane has a planned cabinet that is not on Streetview and Mulranny is weird in that the "exchange" is up a lane that is not on Streetview and seems to be at the back of a house.
    The planned location in Currane is both in the middle of nowhere, and far from the existing location, but thinking about it now it does seem likely that the one in Mulranny is an actual exchange. I didn't think it was because as you say, it's in a strange location: It's a gravel road that does lead up to somewhere behind a few houses, occasionaly there'll be Openeir vans up there but I assumed it was for landlines only.
    vR2UaCX.jpg

The planned location in Currane is both in the middle of nowhere, and far from the existing location, but thinking about it now it does seem likely that the one in Mulranny is an actual exchange. I didn't think it was because as you say, it's in a strange location: It's a gravel road that does lead up to somewhere behind a few houses, occasionaly there'll be Openeir vans up there but I assumed it was for landlines only.

Yeah, you can see it better on Bing Maps. It's also on the Eircode finder site but it doesn't have an Eircode. There is likely an OLT there.

Out of interest were any cabinets added since you took that picture in Currane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

i did post when it didnt work / only getting around 100mbps and look where it got me.

anyway its working as should now. maybe they put a brighter light through the fibre or re-spliced something or flicked another switch .. I dont know the ins and outs of how these things work

but anyway, it seems fixed now and more stable so yous will not hear from me again ....

about this subject :)

thought i was being nice following up my previous complaints with an update / telling people it had been fixed

I'm not sure it was ever broken. You were told to test on wired but you didn't AFAIK. Tomorrow wireless will give you less than the 146 and we start again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

E46Dream wrote: »
    Install got moved to tomorrow morning! Hopefully it will be straight forward and I can have it for the weekend!

What's the story with the router location will the installer figure where is best for it or do we choose? On our existing setup the router is down one end of the bungalow in a bedroom where it's safe from kids etc lol. I know they reccomend centre of the house which is probably best for coverage all round. If I want to connect something in a bedroom by ethernet how will this be possible? Is it possible to have 2 routers one either end?

The router will probably be put in the same room where the fibre cable comes in through the wall.
    At a later date you can run some ethernet cable from the ONT to move the router to another room.
    You can't have two routers on one network it will cause havoc. But if you want to extend wifi access you can keep the router in the original location and run cable to a wifi access point. It's possible to turn most routers into a wifi access point by disabling the routing capabilities.

MBSnr wrote: »
    I'm not sure it was ever broken. You were told to test on wired but you didn't AFAIK. Tomorrow wireless will give you less than the 146 and we start again....

if its a interference on wireless signal I dare say it will ...

but i really dont think I have been suffering from wireless interference .. you wont agree with me but there ya go ...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

E46Dream wrote: »

He'll talk with you and together you'll both find a solution that works. Ideally if you have a Comms room in your house your set bring the ont into a room near a patch point then plug into the internals and cross patch to wherever you want the modem.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Currane, Achill Sound, Polranny and the western part of Tonragee are all listed as WST/AHS on APQ. Westport is the aggregation node, and AHS (Achill Sound) is the local exchange.

The "local exchange" may well be a small shed, or even a large street cabinet. This is the Achill Sound exchange.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement