Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Currane, Achill Sound, Polranny and the western part of Tonragee are all listed as WST/AHS on APQ. Westport is the aggregation node, and AHS (Achill Sound) is the local exchange.

The "local exchange" may well be a small shed, or even a large street cabinet. This is the Achill Sound exchange.

There has to be an OLT in Mulranny and likely Currane also as the distances don't add up otherwise. To get from the Achill Sound exchange to the end of the line in Mulranny is 20.9km assuming the line follows the R319. Also in the deployment plan it usually states in the notes if FTTH is coming from another exchange area. Neither Curanne nor Mulranny have such a note, at least in the version I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

ED E wrote: »
    kingbhome is yet again in the wrong place.

Where do I go into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

kingbhome wrote: »
    Where do I go into?

If there is no thread on the topic you want to talk about start a new one.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There has to be an OLT in Mulranny and likely Currane also as the distances don't add up otherwise. To get from the Achill Sound exchange to the end of the line in Mulranny is 20.9km assuming the line follows the R319. Also in the deployment plan it usually states in the notes if FTTH is coming from another exchange area. Neither Curanne nor Mulranny have such a note, at least in the version I have.

It's possible that there's an OLT in the cabinet (there's no exchange building) in Currane, but all premises in Currane are WST/AHS.

Mulranny (including east Tonragee) is WST/MRY.

It's possible that there's an OLT in the cabinet (there's no exchange building) in Currane, but all premises in Currane are WST/AHS.

Mulranny (including east Tonragee) is WST/MRY.

Ah right. That makes more sense! I thought Polranny was another name for Mulranny. As I said earlier I'm not familiar with the area. Achill Sound to Currane seems a more manageable distance for GPON so perhaps there is no new cabinet in Currane. Thanks for the clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Installation was finished there about 30 mins ago however on speed test on mobile its showing only 50mbps and we should be on 300mbps package. Installer said it will take a bit to go up something to do with Eirs end. Should I expect it to go up or is there something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

E46Dream wrote: »
    Installation was finished there about 30 mins ago however on speed test on mobile its showing only 50mbps and we should be on 300mbps package. Installer said it will take a bit to go up something to do with Eirs end. Should I expect it to go up or is there something wrong?

Speedtest on mobile is fairly pointless.
    As has been said previously on here, test wired and when sharing the test speed share the upload speed too.

That said there was one poster recently who had a profile issue that was at Eirs end.

There are so many variables with WiFi.

2.4 or 5 GHz?
    Is the device you're testing on known to be capable of >100Mb, >200Mb etc on WiFi?

The foolproof way of testing the connection is to use an Ethernet cabled laptop or desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yes that right , whatever band you are connected to can make a huge difference , for example heres me standing bang next to my wireless router.

on my mobile on 2.4ghz is only 86mbps link speed

switch it to the 5ghz band and link speed goes up to 433mbps link speed

486425.jpg

486426.jpg

only thing to remember is that normally with 5G you get faster data speed from phone (or computer) to wireless router but 5G doesnt normally stretch as far as 2.4G ... so if your device away from router and poor signal, switch to 2.4ghz (unless your device does it automatically) but your link speed wont be as much as if you were on 5G

Ah right I switched to 5g there and on wifi on mobile I get 210mbps standing next to the router on a 300mbps plan. Going to run a wired speed test on laptop and see what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

I change from Eir to Airwire today but the fritz!box 7530 terrible can't connect to the internet.I put in ssid and the wpan 2 but say it incorrect even doh it not.

I hope I can get this sort or I be using my 14 day cooling of period not impressed by Airwire though it would just work straight away :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Is there an implementation of iperf for mobile I wonder?

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Is there an implementation of iperf for mobile I wonder?

Magic iPerf on Android works. I don't know if there's anything for iOS.

I got into the fritz!box 7530 it say iPv4 no connected and ipv6 not connected any idea's on how to connect them don't have a clue about this stuff.

It say pppoe error timeout when I check.

rob808 wrote: »
    I got into the fritz!box 7530 it say iPv4 no connected and ipv6 not connected any idea's on how to connect them don't have a clue about this stuff.

The router should have come configured from Airwire so you just plug it in. Perhaps the transfer of the line from eir has not gone through yet. Have you tried reconnecting the eir router to see if you have a connection on it?

The router should have come configured from Airwire so you just plug it in. Perhaps the transfer of the line from eir has not gone through yet. Have you tried reconnecting the eir router to see if you have a connection on it?
    it change over it should just work straight away didn't want to be jumping through hoops still in my 14 day cooling of period might be going back to Eir headweck trying to set it up gave up trying now till tomorrow.

it change over it should just work straight away didn't want to be jumping through hoops still in my 14 day cooling of period might be going back to Eir headweck trying to set it up gave up trying now till tomorrow.

Jesus, dude, calm down. Have you even talked to Airwire?

There's no setting up to do. Plug LAN1 of the 7530 into the ONT. If you've been frigging around with the Internet settings on the Fritz, you've probably frigged it up, but have the decency to give Airwire a chance to correct your screwup before you do them out of €170.

Jesus, dude, calm down. Have you even talked to Airwire?

There's no setting up to do. Plug LAN1 of the 7530 into the ONT. If you've been frigging around with the Internet settings on the Fritz, you've probably frigged it up, but have the decency to give Airwire a chance to correct your screwup before you do them out of €170.
    Im ring them tomorrow don't want to go back to Eir.

I change from Eir to Airwire today but the fritz!box 7530 terrible can't connect to the internet.I put in ssid and the wpan 2 but say it incorrect even doh it not.

I hope I can get this sort or I be using my 14 day cooling of period not impressed by Airwire though it would just work straight away :(.

so, it sounds like theres Internet to router but you cannot log onto the router wirelessly???

not the actual airwire Internet username and logon for internet?

if you can actually get onto your fritzbox routers setup page (maybe by LAN/ETHERNET cable from a computer to the router on Lan2 or 3 or 4 socket) at http://192.168.178.1/ - then you can go into the wireless settings and write down the SSID and also the Wpa2 password - if you cannot get the wpa2 password you can go into the 'secirity' settin in the wlan section and get it from there or temporarily turn off wpa2 connection and log on with just the SSID (not recommended to use unencrypted forever but for checking/temporary should be OK)

You could also use WPS .. have you ever used that ? - Click WPS on the router page or press WPS button on your router then select WPS on your device or computer and you wont have to worry about inputting any ssid or password it will do it for you.

hope u get on OK anyway - take deep breaths LOL :D

Ok so done a wired speedtest on laptop and it showed 175mbps download and 48mbps upload. My package is 300mbps download and 50 upload. Upload seems to be on point but download not so much surely I should be getting near the full 300 on wired?

The download seems to fluctuate a lot on the speedtest aswell. I attached an image, Now I'm not the most tech savvy person but why does it say 1Gbps on the ethernet status?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Sounds like he got the modem early if the port has not migrated over to the other provider it won't work a tell tale sign is if your eir router is connected to the internet your still with eir. If eir modem is connected synched but has no internet then it means the port has changed over.
    No pppoe session.
    Alternatively turn off ont for 1 min then turn on wait then turn on modem.
    I've seen all sorts.

Ok so done a wired speedtest on laptop and it showed 175mbps download and 48mbps upload. My package is 300mbps download and 50 upload. Upload seems to be on point but download not so much surely I should be getting near the full 300 on wired?

The download seems to fluctuate a lot on the speedtest aswell. I attached an image, Now I'm not the most tech savvy person but why does it say 1Gbps on the ethernet status?

hmmm, what Speed tester are you using and the server you are choosing to connect to is is near and capable of testing 300mbps connection?

thats ok 1Gbps connection on ethernet is fine just means your card inside your computer is a gigabit LAN card , you most probably have a 10/100/1000 LAN car in your laptop/computer - a lot of old laptop/computers have a 10/100 card in them

hmmm, what Speed tester are you using and the server you are choosing to connect to is is near and capable of testing 300mbps connection?

thats ok 1Gbps connection on ethernet is fine just means your card inside your computer is a gigabit LAN card , you most probably have a 10/100/1000 LAN car in your laptop/computer - a lot of old laptop/computers have a 10/100 card in them

Yeah it's an old and slow PC I wonder is that the problem or should it be capable?

I was using speedtest.net and used Carlow blacknight server.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Sounds like he got the modem early if the port has not migrated over to the other provider it won't work a tell tale sign is if your eir router is connected to the internet your still with eir. If eir modem is connected synched but has no internet then it means the port has changed over.
    No pppoe session.
    Alternatively turn off ont for 1 min then turn on wait then turn on modem.
    I've seen all sorts.
    when I go into the router it say Airwire try the Eir router no connection so think switch over happen just can't connect to the internet.

when I go into the router it say Airwire try the Eir router no connection so think switch over happen just can't connect to the internet.

whats the pon and LOS light and Lan light doing on the ONT box? (the white box the fibre goes into and the LAN cable comes out of) - lit? - not lit?

whats the pon and LOS light and Lan light doing on the ONT box? (the white box the fibre goes into and the LAN cable comes out of) - lit? - not lit?
    The lan light on but not blinking I went into my xbox I get ip address and subnet mask but the Gateway blank.

The lan light on but not blinking I went into my xbox I get ip address and subnet mask but the Gateway blank.

Rob it's unlikely to be able to be fixed on your side. Best wait until tomorrow and speak to Airwire support.

Rob it's unlikely to be able to be fixed on your side. Best wait until tomorrow and speak to Airwire support.
    yea that what I will do Dominique Loud Waistband thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah it's an old and slow PC I wonder is that the problem or should it be capable?

I was using speedtest.net and used Carlow blacknight server.

Well if your phone is getting higher speed than your laptop wired at 1Gps then there is some issue with the laptop that needs to be resolved.

If it's a Dell make sure SmartByte is not installed.
    If it's another brand there could be some software causing issues.

I believe some browsers are better at running speedtest than others.
    Also have task manager open while running speed test, if your CPU is hitting 100% that's going to cause problems.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's an old and slow PC I wonder is that the problem...

Yes. That's the problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement