Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't believe Eir or Airwire have an FUP in their contract currently.

Digiweb have a 1TB FUP
    https://digiweb.ie/fair-usage-policy/

No idea if it's enforced.

ah right thanks.

just been perusing the Online Meter on the Fritz box supplied by digiweb:

486863.jpg

Current moth Total:
    278759mb = 0.278759tb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Vodafone don't seem to charge for excess usage anyway. This is from one of their brand managers:

https://twitter.com/rardagh/status/1155804493482725378

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Vodafone don't seem to charge for excess usage anyway. This is from one of their brand managers:

https://twitter.com/rardagh/status/1155804493482725378

Might be an interesting one.

"We'll talk to them" = stoppit or we'll disco you. If you're 4mo into an 18mo contract and need to breach then pulling 10TB/mo for two mo might be enough to get them to nullify it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Broadband and phone firms face 'unlimited' ban

Ireland's broadband and mobile operators may soon be banned from using the word "unlimited" for data services which have hidden cut-off points.

The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (ASAI) says it is to undertake a "comprehensive review" of telecoms companies' use of the term, which is leading to some customers getting unexpected additional monthly bills for exceeding hidden data limits.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/broadband-and-phone-firms-face-unlimited-ban-38364894.html

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

New Sky pricing is up. It's pretty awful. I have it down as the most expensive (€965) over 12 months for 300Mb which is the package i'll be looking for in a week.

a9mQyR6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Anyone out there using powerline adapters? i've had 2 sets of tp-link gigabit ones for a year or so now for the standard broadband.. how much speed can they handle for ftth?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Video wrote: »
    Anyone out there using powerline adapters? i've had 2 sets of tp-link gigabit ones for a year or so now for the standard broadband.. how much speed can they handle for ftth?

It’s a sub optimal solution for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2 30isthenew20

I've just seen fibre is to be activated in our area on the 7th, in yer past experience, can an appointment be booked for this date or will the order have to placed on the 7th and the appointment scheduled after this date?

I've just seen fibre is to be activated in our area on the 7th, in yer past experience, can an appointment be booked for this date or will the order have to placed on the 7th and the appointment scheduled after this date?

From looking at previous posts, it can only be ordered from that date onwards - engineer appointments to install will be booked for after that date - usually a good few days/weeks after.

However, some ISP's will take your "pre"-order sooner than the 7th, sit on it with varying degrees of transparency until the 7th arrives upon which they can order, but they can only lodge the order to install with OpenEir on the 7th.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

New Sky pricing is up. It's pretty awful. I have it down as the most expensive (€965) over 12 months for 300Mb which is the package i'll be looking for in a week.

a9mQyR6.jpg

that is by far the most expensive FTTH offering in the country and it has a 1tb fair usage policy too. One to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have a set of powerline adapters that work at 110Mps in one room and 20Mps in another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

On airwire it says fibre broadband is available from 31/07/2019. But when I check my address through Vodafone/ eir it says not available

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

physioman wrote: »
    On airwire it says fibre broadband is available from 31/07/2019. But when I check my address through Vodafone/ eir it says not available

By general consensus Airwire is the most accurate of the availability trackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Who do people think on here is the best in terms of support and reliability? Definitely not eir anyway!

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Who do people think on here is the best in terms of support and reliability? Definitely not eir anyway!

Airwire by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Officially went live this morning though it said 31st of July (must be mid night??) Pre ordered last week with Digiweb. Appointment just now confirmed for next Wednesday 7th. Fingers crossed

medoc wrote: »
    Officially went live this morning though it said 31st of July (must be mid night??) Pre ordered last week with Digiweb. Appointment just now confirmed for next Wednesday 7th. Fingers crossed

If you rang this morning to order rather than pre-order you probably would have got the same install date. Wait times for installs seems to be very low and usually about 7 days.

a9mQyR6.jpg

Gonzo wrote: »
    that is by far the most expensive FTTH offering in the country and it has a 1tb fair usage policy too. One to avoid.

good lord thats expensive at €75 after 6 months and €200 installation ... anyone would think they are pricing themselves out of the market on purpose ... for some reason? -

Well Sky are the provider that has a court case(still ongoing?) against Comreg about Open Eir's pricing structure, they claim it's not commercially viable.
    They would have to throw in some really good TV packages before people would take it up at that price and at a time when people are moving away from traditional TV even that may not work.

Well Sky are the provider that has a court case(still ongoing?) against Comreg about Open Eir's pricing structure, they claim it's not commercially viable.
    They would have to throw in some really good TV packages before people would take it up at that price and at a time when people are moving away from traditional TV even that may not work.

I'm with Sky for TV - I must have a lookey later in 'My Sky' account and have a look see if they are doing any special offfer deals for people who are already sky customers for FTTH .. I shouldnt think so because they havent even really got any deals for a SKY Q box if your and existing Sky + subscriber so I should think its the same with FTTH broadband , they seem to like new non customers these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

are sky in on the rural FTTH or something now? i haven't seen their name being involved, i thought they were with vodafone and siro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

are sky in on the rural FTTH or something now? i haven't seen their name being involved, i thought they were with vodafone and siro

They sell on both open eir and SIRO networks. The prices above are for open eir.

here (although its not very up to date I don't think - doesn't even list SKY for example) is a list of selection of providers offering FTTH - might be useful to someone shopping around who to choose:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/

486959.jpg

486960.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Unless you upload large files frequently, 300 is probably overkill. Even 150 is probably overkill as it exceeds most of the internets ability to serve content.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Unless you upload large files frequently, 300 is probably overkill. Even 150 is probably overkill as it exceeds most of the internets ability to serve content.

I agree with you in the case of most of the general public, but my usage scenario is different than most

cnocbui wrote: »

in the fast changing world of technology it wont be like that for very long , so you may as well be ready for it and have it in place already there for when the internet will be able to serve it.

we are where TV's where when they were being sold as 'HD Ready' - when they first came out there was hardly any programmes out in HD - but in a relatively short while HD programming flooded the market and people who had bought HD sets were ready for it.

I think I will one day upgrade to 300 or 1gbps one day when i can , what we talking another 20 a month on top of what I am paying for 150 , not bad all considered - I know my present equipment (and the internet servers) wont be ready to fully utilise 1gbps but I wouldnt think that would put me off to be honest. Maybe its the same with some other people

It's only as you get closer to 1Gbps that servers have trouble delivering content at that speed. Any server by a major company will server up 300Mps to loads of people at the same time no problem at all except for extreme cases where the servers are unusually busy. That said it would be rare that I need that kind of speed. No point in paying for 300 now when all it takes is a phone call and my service can be updated within a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

in the fast changing world of technology it wont be like that for very long , so you may as well be ready for it and have it in place already there for when the internet will be able to serve it.

we are where TV's where when they were being sold as 'HD Ready' - when they first came out there was hardly any programmes out in HD - but in a relatively short while HD programming flooded the market and people who had bought HD sets were ready for it.

I think I will one day upgrade to 300 or 1gbps one day when i can , what we talking another 20 a month on top of what I am paying for 150 , not bad all considered - I know my present equipment (and the internet servers) wont be ready to fully utilise 1gbps but I wouldnt think that would put me off to be honest. Maybe its the same with some other people

The fibre isn't any different. It makes not a jot of difference to future capacity or use cases whether you select 150 or 1000 Mbps today. Makes a noticeable difference to how much you pay annually.

It's only as you get closer to 1Gbps that servers have trouble delivering content at that speed. Any server by a major company will server up 300Mps to loads of people at the same time no problem at all except for extreme cases where the servers are unusually busy. That said it would be rare that I need that kind of speed. No point in paying for 300 now when all it takes is a phone call and my service can be updated within a few hours.

That doesn't coincide with my experience. Even my Usenet provider which advertises non-limited speeds only seems to manage roughly 120 Mbps.

I have mentioned previously that Microsoft Xbox game updates barely hit even 70 Mbps in rare busts, averaging probably only half that. Some have suggested HD speeds are limiting the speed but I have my doubts and think even when the next generation SSD based consoles arrive, MS still won't be serving it up at anything like 300 Mbps.

Loading the Daily Mail comes in at 16 Mbps. My son says he once saw his Azure server connect to Steam at 400 Mbps in spurts when downloading Arma.

150 MBPS will download that supposedly nonexistent 1 TB FUP in just under 15 minutes. What do you do for the other 44,625 minutes in the month?

I think the wholesale price of data has to fall spectacularly before we can even begin to harness a fraction of the capacity of fibre, even at 150 Mbps.

its strange there is nothing between 300mbps and 1gbps on FTTH is that a Technical reason or just to simplify things just having 3 speeds available to subscribe to?

• Advertisement

TP-Link ones normally had the AV 300 link and AV 600 link respectively (300mb and 600mb) - but of course IRL more than likely hardly ever reach them speeds between each other.

BTW (excuse my non technical knowlege about these powerline adaptors) but how is the Data transferred?

is it like you plug them into 13a socket just for power only and one is a transmitter and one is a receiver and all done wirelessly (by 2.4ghz and 5ghz) ?

or does the sender one transfer its data over the 230v the ring mains house wiring to the receiver plugged into another scocket in the house? - I am guessing 2.4 and 5ghz yes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement