Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

I'm not up to speed (pardon the pun) with this stuff.

Does VOIP work for alarm monitoring? If so, is it possible to get broadband only and not phone line to save on costs?
    Would something like this work? I was thinking of buying one, but haven't yet.

http://etross.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008825252177/pdtl/GSM-CDMA/1148405311/8848-GSM-FWT-Fixed-Wireless-Terminal-Gateway.htm

It's not VOIP but converts GSM to a PSTN interface for normal handsets, alarm systems etc. Obviously, you would have to add a UPS for it to work during power cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

plodder wrote: »
    Would something like this work? I was thinking of buying one, but haven't yet.

http://etross.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008825252177/pdtl/GSM-CDMA/1148405311/8848-GSM-FWT-Fixed-Wireless-Terminal-Gateway.htm

It's not VOIP but converts GSM to a PSTN interface for normal handsets, alarm systems etc. Obviously, you would have to add a UPS for it to work during power cuts.

No. That does not work. You need a data interface on GSM.

GSM has the same effect to data calls as VoIP. The data gets shredded. That was solved on GSM, by adding data profiles to the service.

So whatever device you have, needs to have a dedicated GSM data modem.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

DP not active and Eir can’t tell me when it will

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Marlow wrote: »
    No. That does not work. You need a data interface on GSM.

GSM has the same effect to data calls as VoIP. The data gets shredded. That was solved on GSM, by adding data profiles to the service.

So whatever device you have, needs to have a dedicated GSM data modem.

/M
    That's a good point. I hadn't considered that aspect. My own setup is a DIY alarm with a voice dialler attached. So, I assume that will still work. The dialler just makes regular (prerecorded) voice calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Install in progress , installer says dp is live .

Currently running fibre from dp to the pole outside my house , then across to my house .

We'll be pushing the cable up under the eaves into the attic ,then I'll be pulling the cable through the attic for him , then dropping it down to where the router and PC are ( older house with surface mounted trunking full of cat5e cables )

Very helpful KN guy .

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    That's a good point. I hadn't considered that aspect. My own setup is a DIY alarm with a voice dialler attached. So, I assume that will still work. The dialler just makes regular (prerecorded) voice calls.

Voice and DTMF should work no bother.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

DP not active and Eir can’t tell me when it will

Most common problem, could be fixed in a week or months

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

fritzelly wrote: »
    Most common problem, could be fixed in a week or months
    is this usually single DP problem or does it mean complete line from exchange containing all other DP’s not active as well.? KN crews finishing laying fibre on poles at kilfithmone and surrounding backroads this morning.This side of Borrisoleigh is now ready for DP splicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Told they have to do a survey. 14th of June

Well ,
    My install went smoothly .

Very helpful guy from KN Networks .
    He was very accommodating with what I wanted from the install .

He ran the fibre from the DP to the pole outside my house and from there he fed it under the eaves at the hall door into the attic (I had a hole already drilled )

I pulled it across the attic (carefully) and fed it back down to him in the corner of the room where the router / network switches and pc are installed .
    ( It's an older bungalow and I have surface mounted trunking with a load of CAT5e cables in it )

Neat job , he installed the ONT under my other sockets .

Speedtest from last week -
    450729.jpg

Speedtest from just now -
    450730.jpg

As an experiment I clicked "install" on a game in Steam last week , to see how long it would take to install .

Last week , it would take 4hrs42mins -
    450731.jpg

Today , it'll take 7mins 30 secs :eek::eek::eek:

450732.jpg

Not bad for a 10GB game :D

I can even load the funny gif thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057649989

It's been a long wait , all I can say is WOW .

I hope others get as lucky as me with their installers and installation .

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Yup, looks like new order. Will wait until Monday when the 'talk to' Eir folks are back to have them sort it. Don't want to deal with their 1st level sales or tech again on phone/chat. Pain in my hoop with their lack of knowledge.

When a change in FTTH speed happens, does the router need a bounce and/or the GPON unit?
    All happens in the exchange

Seems there is something that needs to change from a follow up today - no insight if its on the Eir end of mine. Wonder if your put on a different port on the DP at the pole for the 1Gbps service?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ninja 12 wrote: »
    450732.jpg

Steam is only using 2/3 of that connection too, only ticking over there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

So....ordered ftth about 3.5 weeks ago. Was told service went live last wed and they called me that morning to arrange the install. the KN tech arrived today to install.
    When he checked, there was no service being provided through the fibre so there’s a prob somewhere.

I mean, for God’s sake, why why why wasn’t this tested before the tech came out today ??
    Got a call from Eir which said the issue won’t be resolved for about 1 month........so frustrated and annoyed........awesome, thanks openeir!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

thehorse wrote: »
    So....ordered ftth about 3.5 weeks ago. Was told service went live last wed and they called me that morning to arrange the install. the KN tech arrived today to install.
    When he checked, there was no service being provided through the fibre so there’s a prob somewhere.

I mean, for God’s sake, why why why wasn’t this tested before the tech came out today ??
    Got a call from Eir which said the issue won’t be resolved for about 1 month........so frustrated and annoyed........awesome, thanks openeir!!!

It does seem bizarre that these issues are still cropping up so far into the project. It doesn't say much for their testing methodology. How hard would it be to get someone to go to each DP and verify that it is live.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

It does seem bizarre that these issues are still cropping up so far into the project. It doesn't say much for their testing methodology. How hard would it be to get someone to go to each DP and verify that it is live.

Agree 100% and I met with both the KN guys who spliced the D side and the eir guys who spliced the E side who told me that everything was sorted and ready to go......

They treat the installers as fault finders

That's not very fair on the customer though.

Nope but true, nearly all failed installs could be prevented with a check at the exchange

Thats why a dual wholesale marketplace is vital. OE have zero fúcks to give.

ED E wrote: »
    Steam is only using 2/3 of that connection too, only ticking over there ;)

The speed increased as the download progressed .

Later on , I set Steam to download about 7 or 8 games and the download speed went up to 30MB/s :D

I was initially going to order the 150 package but my wife said we've waited long enough for high speed internet access to arrive and that I should treat myself to the 300 package :D

So far it's brilliant .

My usage will obviously change but it's not that I want to go mad and download a load of crap just for the sake of it .

The main advantage is being able to do other things while downloading .

Before , if Windows or Steam was downloading , even browsing was useless and internet banking was unusable ( banking kept timing out ) .

Downloading large games meant that I'd have to leave my htpc running non stop ( Assassins Creed Origins took 30 hours ) wasting electricity .

Now I can download ( and do other stuff online at the same time ) and shut off the pc when required .

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

150 will be plenty for me.

I'm currently on 5 and would be lucky to get 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

Feeling the brunt of this right now.
    First visit from KN last week and he needed traffic management to complete the job. 
    OK fair enough.
    Second visit including two KN engineers annnnnndddddd the DP isn't live. 
    Report back to Eir apparently and they'll have to connect it. Gave a week estimate, but god really knows.
    Said the first guy should have all that checked.
    Whats the bets the billing department will have no problem charging for the service though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eh gringo!

KN guy called to my house and the rod got stuck at the bend in ducting below junction box. I told him I did not want or need the copper as i didnt use it in years, So we attached the Fibre to the copper out at the foothbath and pulled the Fibre through with the copper no problem. Rolled up copper and threw it in the shed.
    145MB download on 150 package and a nice tidy install exactly where I wanted it.
    KN guy was a pleasure to deal with.

Seems there is something that needs to change from a follow up today - no insight if its on the Eir end of mine. Wonder if your put on a different port on the DP at the pole for the 1Gbps service?

My download speeds just jumped from 150Mbps->300Mbps, with engineer works planned tomorrow to bring me up to 1000Mbps. I'm thinking that 1Gbps customers are placed on different ports on the DP

My download speeds just jumped from 150Mbps->300Mbps, with engineer works planned tomorrow to bring me up to 1000Mbps. I'm thinking that 1Gbps customers are placed on different ports on the DP

Wouldn't really make sense, the allocation is purely a software config on the OLT.

ED E wrote: »
    Wouldn't really make sense, the allocation is purely a software config on the OLT.

Will see if someone shows up tomorrow in the PM to see what their story is

There is a different issue here, that's causing this. I've seen an area in Kerry go live with RFO dates for the 9th. And then on the updated file on the 10th, all ports on said sub-exchange went unavailable. Now the story is end July/start August.

There's constant fiddling of figures going on. Sometimes orders on the fiddled lines go in and then you end up with ... well, the fiber is there, but no gear in the exchange. Or the gear they installed in the exchange turns up faulty.

That looks like being the reality of it. I won't spell it out further.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    There is a different issue here, that's causing this. I've seen an area in Kerry go live with RFO dates for the 9th. And then on the updated file on the 10th, all ports on said sub-exchange went unavailable. Now the story is end July/start August.

There's constant fiddling of figures going on. Sometimes orders on the fiddled lines go in and then you end up with ... well, the fiber is there, but no gear in the exchange. Or the gear they installed in the exchange turns up faulty.

That looks like being the reality of it. I won't spell it out further.

/M

Trying to meet Government deadlines?

Trying to meet Government deadlines?

More like shining figures for the dept. Happens on every update start of the month. Sometimes it backfires.

/M

• Advertisement

Did i mention, that the figures only get passed to the dept at the start of the month ?

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement