Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I'm just listening at the moment to 'The Last word' on Today FM . they are discussing this 'FUP' from providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Video wrote: »
    Anyone out there using powerline adapters? i've had 2 sets of tp-link gigabit ones for a year or so now for the standard broadband.. how much speed can they handle for ftth?

How they function is not only dependent on their own capabilities, but also (maybe more importantly) on the house wiring and what interference the signals might encounter between the devices.

Have you tested the speed between devices?
    If not then set up some means of checking the speed between them ...... that will let you know what they are capable of.

It has nothing at all to do with 'standard broadband' or FTTH ...... except that FTTH might well be faster than they are capable of, IF you get a fast enough connection.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

or does the sender one transfer its data over the 230v the ring mains house wiring to the receiver plugged into another scocket in the house?

They both transmit and receive data over the mains wiring. That's one of the reasons that they are a fairly appalling technical kludge: house wiring is designed to transmit power, not data.

In fact, if you were setting out to design the worst possible high-speed data transmission medium, the twin-and-earth used in household mains wiring would be a strong contender.

The reasons are too technical to get into, but in simple terms: the wires in a Cat5 cable are twisted for a very good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

cnocbui wrote: »
    The fibre isn't any different. It makes not a jot of difference to future capacity or use cases whether you select 150 or 1000 Mbps today. Makes a noticeable difference to how much you pay annually.

That doesn't coincide with my experience. Even my Usenet provider which advertises non-limited speeds only seems to manage roughly 120 Mbps.

I have mentioned previously that Microsoft Xbox game updates barely hit even 70 Mbps in rare busts, averaging probably only half that. Some have suggested HD speeds are limiting the speed but I have my doubts and think even when the next generation SSD based consoles arrive, MS still won't be serving it up at anything like 300 Mbps.

Loading the Daily Mail comes in at 16 Mbps. My son says he once saw his Azure server connect to Steam at 400 Mbps in spurts when downloading Arma.

150 MBPS will download that supposedly nonexistent 1 TB FUP in just under 15 minutes. What do you do for the other 44,625 minutes in the month?

I think the wholesale price of data has to fall spectacularly before we can even begin to harness a fraction of the capacity of fibre, even at 150 Mbps.

Get a better Usenet provider. Mine probably averages 30MB/s on a 300Mb connection. That's from Amsterdam.

Also 1TB would take 14 hours 48 minutes at 150Mb unless you meant 150MB/s which is greater than 1Gb/s. Even that would take nearly two hours for 1TB.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They both transmit and receive data over the mains wiring. ..

ah right , i was wondering like . Years ago I had an Intercom set which had a transmitter and receiver and that transmitted over the 230v main ... but then again quality wasnt a factor, it was very poor sound and buzzing on it (presumably picking up fluorescent light ballasts and whatever interferance) but then again it was only for intercom use so it wasnt important. - so I am still pretty surprised that these powerline transmit data over the mains wiring like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Electrical wires are unshielded when it comes to this type of radio signal, those adaptors nuke any shortwave radio signals in the area. Not many amateur radio enthusiasts left but if you happen to live near one they will be pissed!

I know mesh networks can be pricey to get a good setup but that really is the way to go these days if you have no way of running ethernet cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get a better Usenet provider. Mine probably averages 30MB/s on a 300Mb connection. That's from Amsterdam.

Also 1TB would take 14 hours 48 minutes at 150Mb unless you meant 150MB/s which is greater than 1Gb/s. Even that would take nearly two hours for 1TB.

You are right, my mistake. I am very happy with my Usenet provider. Still honouring a block of data I bought over 12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Those powerline adapters can mess with any sensitive audio equipment.

Give a hum on headphones or speakers, when they're plugged into the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Who do people think on here is the best in terms of support and reliability? Definitely not eir anyway!
    Westnet (if you're in their coverage area) have been pretty good so far, they're responsive over the phone (Calls always answered quite fast and no holding), email and even here on Boards. The service hasn't had any downtime that I've noticed for the last 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Might not be the appropriate place for this, so mods feel free to move of this is the case.

I'm contracted to eir ftth until October. Just wondering how others have fared when they come out of contract. Did you move to another supplier? Were you able to get a better deal by signing to a new eir contract? Can you access other suppliers (eg Sky etc) through the eir FTTH hardware?

• Advertisement

When I put my Eircode into the Westnet availability checker I get this

59168b555ac19663be1fb0cf1b43c5ba.jpg

What does it mean?

Expected date: outside

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Try Airwire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

its strange there is nothing between 300mbps and 1gbps on FTTH is that a Technical reason or just to simplify things just having 3 speeds available to subscribe to?

There is no technical reason for this. SIRO was offering 150, 350, 600 and 1000 Mbit/s residential packages until recently, but have removed the 350 and 600 Mbit/s offerings and replaced those with a 500 Mbit/s offering.

More speeds/packages .. more confusion.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

tuxy wrote: »
    What does it mean?

Westnet operates differently than many other providers. First of all, like Eir and Airwire, they don't have a cap nor a FUP. Unlimited means unlimited.

But they also send their own engineers out, to install the router, after OpenEIR have finished the installation .. (to my knowledge)

Beyond that, all of their network is in Mayo.

So they have chosen to only to offer service in Mayo and surrounding areas and only make the occasional exception to that. That way, they can guarantee the quality of their product.

Oh .. and being a regional provider, if they scaled their pricing and their service to a nationwide level, they would need deep pockets. They aim at long term customers, like many other regional providers. Not the ones that switch every year. So with their pricing, they are making a loss the first year.

You are outside of the area, that they deem their territory.

/M

I figured as much but it does say it will be available to me very soon. That's the bit I find confusing.

Marlow wrote: »
    Westnet operates differently than many other providers. First of all, like Eir and Airwire, they don't have a cap nor a FUP. Unlimited means unlimited.

But they also send their own engineers out, to install the router, after OpenEIR have finished the installation .. (to my knowledge)

Beyond that, all of their network is in Mayo.

So they have chosen to only to offer service in Mayo and surrounding areas and only make the occasional exception to that. That way, they can guarantee the quality of their product.

Oh .. and being a regional provider, if they scaled their pricing and their service to a nationwide level, they would need deep pockets. They aim at long term customers, like many other regional providers. Not the ones that switch every year. So with their pricing, they are making a loss the first year.

You are outside of the area, that they deem their territory.

/M

yeah I was going to go with westnet and we were emailing each other .. but when it came to about a week going live Paul said he couldnt do it because we werent in his area so we went with Digiweb . - I think paul is prepared to make a loss on customers because he is a good bloke and when he moved to mayo he was frustrated himself at the lack of broadband and so decided to start up his own company himself - sounds like a sound guy. he's a Hypnotherapist too!

I didnt realize that his crew come out and fit the wireless router though after openeir/KN have done their bit tho . I can see how that would be un-economical doing it out of the area if thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Video wrote: »
    Anyone out there using powerline adapters? i've had 2 sets of tp-link gigabit ones for a year or so now for the standard broadband.. how much speed can they handle for ftth?

I have a few AV1300 devices. They run at about 80Mbps to 150Mbps depending on what other devices are on like the washing machine etc. Fast enough for 4K streaming anyhow. One remote WiFi access point is connected to the LAN this way. So any device on that isn't getting full internet speed of 300Mbps I have. Not ideal, but it works for me in the absence of a physical cable connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

It's only as you get closer to 1Gbps that servers have trouble delivering content at that speed. Any server by a major company will server up 300Mps to loads of people at the same time no problem at all except for extreme cases where the servers are unusually busy. That said it would be rare that I need that kind of speed. No point in paying for 300 now when all it takes is a phone call and my service can be updated within a few hours.

Also people often assume one user.

With a busy household with multiple members hammering various different sites you'll use a fair whack of it. But won't need to worry about household contention ;)

Best thing to do would probably book an install and see what they say.
    Would digging a new trench from the road and installing you own duct be an option. Expensive but then you're sorted for decades with reliable fibre internet.

MBSnr wrote: »
    I have a few AV1300 devices. They run at about 80Mbps to 150Mbps depending on what other devices are on like the washing machine etc. Fast enough for 4K streaming anyhow. One remote WiFi access point is connected to the LAN this way. So any device on that isn't getting full internet speed of 300Mbps I have. Not ideal, but it works for me in the absence of a physical cable connection.

yes, really where they come into their own and are useful/handy is not having to run meters of Cat 5/5E/6 cables - just plug in and go near enough (with caveats of slower speed) - dont expect perfection and they seem grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

Best thing to do would probably book an install and see what they say.
    Would digging a new trench from the road and installing you own duct be an option. Expensive but then you're sorted for decades with reliable fibre internet.

Yes a trench with duct would also be possible. It is probably going to be the simplest way the more i think about it.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

What does it mean?

Expected date: outside

I don't know :)

I'll dig through the availability checker's code and see if I can figure out what it means. If you want to PM me an Eircode in the meantime, I can tell you exactly what's going on.

We don't send an installer out with a router; we post the router so it's on-site when the KN installer does his thing. We do offer a follow-up service where we'll evaluate your best options for getting full-house wireless coverage, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Current Eir customer until my contract runs out. Suffering regular wifi drop-outs in recent weeks - random devices not connecting while others could connect ok. I purchased an Archer C7 and have it up and running as my main router with VLAN tagging etc. I need to keep VOIP so made a few changes on my Eir router (turned off VLAN etc) and connected it into the TP_Link device. Phonecalls in and out were working ok when I set it up initially.

What I am seeing is after a period of time we cannot dial into the landline number. Dialling out still works fine and once I dial out, I can then dial in again for a short period of time. Looks like a timeout issue but I am not sure of config change needed (on the Eir device?).

Any tips or info would be appreciated.

I don't know :)

I'll dig through the availability checker's code and see if I can figure out what it means. If you want to PM me an Eircode in the meantime, I can tell you exactly what's going on.

My house is in North Tipp but I also tried this random Eir Code from just outside of Kinsale
    P17 YV07
    The checker returns the result "Good News! It looks like fibre will be available for you very soon."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

leex wrote: »
    Current Eir customer until my contract runs out. Suffering regular wifi drop-outs in recent weeks - random devices not connecting while others could connect ok. I purchased an Archer C7 and have it up and running as my main router with VLAN tagging etc. I need to keep VOIP so made a few changes on my Eir router (turned off VLAN etc) and connected it into the TP_Link device. Phonecalls in and out were working ok when I set it up initially.

What I am seeing is after a period of time we cannot dial into the landline number. Dialling out still works fine and once I dial out, I can then dial in again for a short period of time. Looks like a timeout issue but I am not sure of config change needed (on the Eir device?).

Sounds like a NAT issue. I'm not sure it's fixable. Some VoIP providers tell you to lower the registration period to prevent such issues but there doesn't seem to be a setting in the F2000 for registration timeout.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Sounds like a NAT issue. I'm not sure it's fixable. Some VoIP providers tell you to lower the registration period to prevent such issues but there doesn't seem to be a setting in the F2000 for registration timeout.

I've heard of another instance of this happening and they're looking to port number over to a landline as it's so frequent and costing them

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

leex wrote: »

Invert your setup.
    F2000: Router, ATA
    TP: Wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

ED E wrote: »
    Invert your setup.
    F2000: Router, ATA
    TP: Wifi

F2000 in bridge mode in this setup? Will this not disable VOIP function?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

So tried again with the ubiquity router.

So I left eth0 alone just configured for the wan.

For some crazy reason the router still looked like it was at 254 and I could still login to the interface for it. Even though no network cables were plugged into it and the desktop I was using doesn't have a wifi card. Couldn't get out onto the internet still too.

Ugh.

• Advertisement

genuine question here - just wondering what happens when FFTH fibre cable has to be repaired (which bound to be a time) at the OLT or DP on the pole you know like disconnected and re-spliced or even fibre cable replaced , what happens to subcribers ? - do they lose all Internet access then from those people served by FTTH from that OLT or DP when that takes place?

I should imagine on copper if its a repair they have to carry out in a cabinet or somewhere the engineer will use some kind of patch cables whilst they are carrying out repairs but I have always wondered what they do if its a fibre they are doing work on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement