Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

genuine question here - just wondering what happens when FFTH fibre cable has to be repaired (which bound to be a time) at the OLT or DP on the pole you know like disconnected and re-spliced or even fibre cable replaced , what happens to subcribers ? - do they lose all Internet access then from those people served by FTTH from that OLT or DP when that takes place?

I should imagine on copper if its a repair they have to carry out in a cabinet or somewhere the engineer will use some kind of patch cables whilst they are carrying out repairs but I have always wondered what they do if its a fibre they are doing work on?

An outage....?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Please, for the love of christ, can we move Andys musing to their own thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

ED E wrote: »

This thread is nearly at 10000 it'll be getting closed soon no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

you seem to have a lot of hate, let it go - it cant be making you well?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Musings, that's a very polite turn of phrase for what they actually are ;)

• Advertisement

I ask a decent question about FTTH ... Jaysus! :rolleyes:

limnam wrote: »
    An outage....?

I cant really see that ? - how I mean, when so many people would rely on it - that would cause and outrage with such a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

I take it the NBP is dead in the water at this stage as far as eir goes? On here to fish for one last drop of hope as both Three and Vodafones 3G and 4G networks have all hit sub 2Mbit. I'm not even going to bother trying the Eir sim in the modem :rolleyes: Might drag a few hundred meters of cat 6 from the house down the road that has FTTH at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

I cant really see that ? - how I mean, when so many people would rely on it - that would cause and outrage with such a lot of people

What are you talking about.

ESB a lot more critical service than been able to post on boards goes down for hundreds and thousands all the time.

If _your_ cable needs repair doesn't impact anyone else.

If it's a _major_ cable it's still only going to impact a specific amount of people

in rural ireland......I'm sure they can have a planned outage outside yahoo bingo prime time hours :)

It's not really something to worry about.

Outages happen. With OpenEir its at least one a week, more in the good old days of radio linked child exchanges. Daily during the storm season.

When a tree falls in a road do cars just crash into it? No, they stop. Go around. People deal with it. Same with outages. Most of the country has cellular fallbacks.

• Advertisement

Copies link to post for when the goldfish asks the same thing in two months

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

I take it the NBP is dead in the water at this stage as far as eir goes? On here to fish for one last drop of hope as both Three and Vodafones 3G and 4G networks have all hit sub 2Mbit. I'm not even going to bother trying the Eir sim in the modem :rolleyes: Might drag a few hundred meters of cat 6 from the house down the road that has FTTH at this rate.

Im pretty sure Eir use threes infrastructure anyway

ooh shush dont come up with that chestnut .. when I did once on here I got a lecture about lightning storms and it not being safe for the general public - a couple of mm of insulation is not gonna stop killovolts of lightening strikes ...

EDIT: in any case data along Cat6 can only travel so many meters - why dont you try a mesh system?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ooh shush dont come up with that chestnut .. when I did once on here I got a lecture about lightning storms and it not being safe for the general public - a couple of mm of insulation is not gonna stop killovolts of lightening strikes ...

If you were paying attention to the lecture, you'd have remembered that insulation wasn't remotely relevant to it.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you were paying attention to the lecture, you'd have remembered that insulation wasn't remotely relevant to it.

eh? - ok , its late i'm tired

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

You could try set up a point to point link with a willing neibhour if you have clear line of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sounds like a NAT issue. I'm not sure it's fixable. Some VoIP providers tell you to lower the registration period to prevent such issues but there doesn't seem to be a setting in the F2000 for registration timeout.

My son has been working on this and may have a solution. I have sent the details to leex. Perhaps he/she can verify if it works and then I could make it public.
    Invert your setup.
    F2000: Router, ATA
    TP: Wifi

The main reason we replaced the F2000 was because it was losing packets with increasing severity and would then crash, requiring a hard reboot. This was daily. That was in addition to it's terrible WiFi range.

So having the F2000 on the front end is not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cnocbui wrote: »

I have both a F2000 and Unifi router on the front end with two different public IP addresses using a basic HUB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

My son has been working on this and may have a solution. I have sent the details to leex. Perhaps he/she can verify if it works and then I could make it public.

The main reason we replaced the F2000 was because it was losing packets with increasing severity and would then crash, requiring a hard reboot. This was daily. That was in addition to it's terrible WiFi range.

That would be interesting to hear what he came up with in relation to VoIP.

As regards the F2000, I've had one for nearly two years now and I haven't had to reboot it once so I think it's a bit unfair to condemn it. I think most people replace it due to WiFi issues.

I had a Belkin N1 router that used to do that .. and when it crashed/locked up I felt casing and it was boiling .. really hot to the touch . So i put it down to overheating / some component(s) inside overheating (maybe capacitor(s) or something) - I didnt even bother taking it apart and investigating I just replaced it with a TP-Link router .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That would be interesting to hear what he came up with in relation to VoIP.

As regards the F2000, I've had one for nearly two years now and I haven't had to reboot it once so I think it's a bit unfair to condemn it. I think most people replace it due to WiFi issues.

Want to swap F2000s? ;)

It's perfectly fair to condemn the F2000 I have, given its issues. Obviously, it's not an absolute that all F2000s behave the same way.

It would be good to get independent verification, but here is what my son did (specific to TP-Link AC1750): -> NAT forwarding -> virtual server - add two entries: redirect port 6050 to the IP address of F2000 - on both UDP and TCP; redirect ports 10,000 - 10,100 to same F2000 IP address with the same protocols enabled.

He thinks the first entry might only need to be for TCP and the latter for UDP, but he hasn't tested that.

Want to swap F2000s? ;)

It's perfectly fair to condemn the F2000 I have, given its issues. Obviously, it's not an absolute that all F2000s behave the same way.

It would be good to get independent verification, but here is what my son did (specific to TP-Link AC1750): -> NAT forwarding -> virtual server - add two entries: redirect port 6050 to the IP address of F2000 - on both UDP and TCP; redirect ports 10,000 - 10,100 to same F2000 IP address with the same protocols enabled.

For other routers it would be called Port Forwarding.

He thinks the first entry might only need to be for TCP and the latter for UDP, but he hasn't tested that.

Worth a go. I've had to port forward for VoIP myself in the past. Generally both would be UDP, the first range for SIP and the second for RTP that carries the audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Hoping i could get some help with what is probably a simple fix...

I have recently had an install at the house here with eir and they supplied a F2000 and the Huawei Echolife HG8010H GPON terminal.

Been waiting a long long time for this as was sitting at 1.5 Mbps over copper for the last decade!

Problem im having is that i didnt like the fact it came with the eir_wifi host network broadcasting away for any eir customer to connect to. (i understand eir have the upload and download limited on this but im not a pub or guesthouse!) so i contacted them to turn off the host service which they did on their side but the eir_wifi is still broadcasting away over my wifi.

I thought this might be an f2000 option to turn off but couldnt see it anywhere in the router settings so i googled the echolife manual and it seems to be an option i can turn off in there. Problem is that it wont allow me to connect to its login page over ethernet at 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.1.1 as listed in the manual.

I just want to turn off this wifi connection (eir_wifi) - any ideas?

192.168.1.254 I believe

Thats for the f2000, (no issue connecting to that router), but im on about the echolife HG8010H unit before the router

Access wrote: »
    Thats for the f2000, (no issue connecting to that router), but im on about the echolife HG8010H unit before the router

It's got nothing to do with the HG8010H. It's broadcast from the router.

You can disable it from the My Eir website.

Login and go to More > eir Wifi and there should be an option there to disable it.

It's got nothing to do with the HG8010H. It's broadcast from the router.

You can disable it from the My Eir website.

Login and go to More > eir Wifi and there should be an option there to disable it.

Been there, no go...

My.eir tells me :-

eir WiFi Host status:

You are not eligible to be eir WiFi Host.

eir WiFi Guest status:

You are not eligible to be eir WiFi Guest.

they are telling me its deactivated, which if probably true, but its the router broadcast of the eir_wifi that i want to turn off.

Been there, no go...

My.eir tells me :-

eir WiFi Host status:

You are not eligible to be eir WiFi Host.

eir WiFi Guest status:

You are not eligible to be eir WiFi Guest.

they are telling me its deactivated, which if probably true, but its the router broadcast of the eir_wifi that i want to turn off.

When did you deactivate it? It can take 24 hours. The ONT cannot be broadcasting it as it doesn't have a wireless radio.

You are trying to hack the ONT?

Just want it off lad tbh, as i like being able to control what connections and broadcasts from my router. Shouldnt have to ask eir to turn off what i never wanted there in the first place.

• Advertisement

Just want it off lad tbh, as i like being able to control what connections and broadcasts from my router. Shouldnt have to ask eir to turn off what i never wanted there in the first place.

First of all hacking the ONT is Andy's job and second why do you want to disable your ONT?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement