Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

When did you deactivate it? It can take 24 hours. The ONT cannot be broadcasting it as it doesn't have a wireless radio.

BB is in about 8 weeks, contacted them to turn off after week one.

have 3 broadcasts from my router...

Wifi_Home

Wifi_Home_5g

eir_wifi

I have control over the first two no issues, but not eir_wifi.

tuxy wrote: »
    First of all hacking the ONT is Andy's job and second why do you want to disable your ONT?

Not wanting to disable the ont, just the eir_wifi broadcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The WiFI is coming from the F2000, I know there is some controversy over huawei at the moment but I don't think they would get away with hiding WIFI in an ONT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Access wrote: »
    BB is in about 8 weeks, contacted them to turn off after week one.

have 3 broadcasts from my router...

Wifi_Home

Wifi_Home_5g

eir_wifi

I have control over the first two no issues, but not eir_wifi.

You need to get back onto eir support and tell them it's still there. I was able to turn it off from My eir but that was months ago. They are constantly breaking the site.

The ONT belongs to open eir.

eir Wifi is a service of eir retail. The organisations are separate.

If you log into the ONT and change settings you're liable to lose your connection.

No probs, ill get back onto them and see what the story is.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

You need to get back onto eir support and tell them it's still there. I was able to turn it off from My eir but that was months ago. They are constantly breaking the site.

If you log into the ONT and change settings you're liable to lose your connection.

Ooh, can you log into the ONT can ya? That's interesting :)

What password and username for logging into the ONT configuration page ? ;)

You will have to log in there to retrieve the password to use on your ebay ont-router combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I tried several times to disable that 'sharing' eir wifi through my account, and always failed.
    I eventually gave up.

I expect it is not usable by anybody without specific action by the user ....... allow sharing on home connection to get access to other similarly set up connections when out and about.
    There is a limit on the throughput on that connection also which would not be added to my data count.
    I am not sure if my use of other's connections when out and about, would be added to my data count.
    Not that it matters as I have an unlimited connection with not FUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I tried several times to disable that 'sharing' eir wifi through my account, and always failed.
    I eventually gave up.

I expect it is not usable by anybody without specific action by the user ....... allow sharing on home connection to get access to other similarly set up connections when out and about.
    There is a limit on the throughput on that connection also which would not be added to my data count.
    I am not sure if my use of other's connections when out and about, would be added to my data count.
    Not that it matters as I have an unlimited connection with not FUP.

Could be a one time sharing WPS ssid

I know on some of the Vodafone HG routers you could enter the configuration page as a superuser by using superuser and password containing from a label on the router and then many more settings were available to change once you were logged in as a superuser rather than user or admin.

But I am not really sure the eir f2000 you can do the same kind of thing , I had a quick google to see if you could but didn't find anything.

If you did , you might find a solution to your problem about changing/ disabling some of the WiFi settings.

• Advertisement

On myeir account I have this showing

eir WiFi Host
    eir WiFi Host status:
    You are not eligible to be eir WiFi Host.

eir WiFi Guest
    eir WiFi Guest status:
    You are not eligible to be eir WiFi Guest.

So I guess that elinimates the possibility of me using others' connections or others using mine ...... regardless the SSID still showing.

Also it has this little nugget:-
    How do I disable eir WiFi Host service on my modem?
    You can opt out of eir WiFi Host service at any time via My eir portal.
    It may take up to 24hrs to process this request and update your eir Fibre modem.

I have no knowledge of this "My eir portal" or how it should be accessed :D

I have no knowledge of this "My eir portal" or how it should be accessed :D

My eir portal another fancy name for https://my.eir.ie/login ??

While looking at my eir account it seems I have about 1 month to go before the contract ends.

I intend to switch provider due to cost ...... it goes to €67.99 in early September for 150Mb/s and phone line with no calls included.

Now trying to find out what I need to do to ensure this happens as near seamlessly as possible, and at the earliest time possible.

I would need to put this in train on Tuesday.

While looking at my eir account it seems I have about 1 month to go before the contract ends.

I intend to switch provider due to cost ...... it goes to €67.99 in early September for 150Mb/s and phone line with no calls included.

Now trying to find out what I need to do to ensure this happens as near seamlessly as possible, and at the earliest time possible.

I would need to put this in train on Tuesday.

that is high .. but then it has been discounted for you for months so I suppose they have to try re-claiming their money - I am betting a lot of people would just stay with them for convenience and just pay the increased rate and not even bother going to different provider because they dont want the hassle of changing over or changing direct debit etc

Have you heard about this massive €190 charge they are now charging for people changing providers when their discounted contract is up on FTTH?

that is high .. but then it has been discounted for you for months so I suppose they have to try re-claiming their money - I am betting a lot of people would just stay with them for convenience and just pay the increased rate and not even bother going to different provider because they dont want the hassle of changing over or changing direct debit etc

Have you heard about this massive €190 charge they are now charging for people changing providers when their discounted contract is up on FTTH?

Discounted!!!!????
    New customers to eir got a similar service for less than €50, but they hammered existing customers! Way to go eir!
    I was willing to pay them because of the 'free' sports package, which has now been decimated so has no value.

Yes Comreg rip off this time ..... an amount of €170 whether new connection or moving.
    I had based my calculations on a move price of €2.50 which is what it was at the time.
    Most providers are charging near €100 for a move now and absorbing the difference in the rental agreement.
    I had hoped the challenge to the Comreg decision would be decided before I had to move ...... apparently not :(

I have the complication of the phone also ...... need to port it somewhere that will relay incoming calls to my voip account ...... as cheaply as possible.

I recall reading about a couple of such services but for the life of me I cannot now recall them :(

Discounted!!!!????
    New customers to eir got a similar service for less than €50, but they hammered existing customers! Way to go eir!
    (

So if your sub goes up to €67.99 in september , what have you been paying up to now then? - not 25eur P/M no?

So if your sub goes up to €67.99 in september , what have you been paying up to now then? - not 25eur P/M no?

The €10 less they show as discount.

Where did this €25 come from?

What I plan to do is send a registered letter about cancelling to Eir 30 days before I want to stitch.
    Cancel the direct debit I have with Eir.
    Contact the new ISP with my details when it gets close to the 30 days.
    It may run slightly over the 30 days but I don't expect Eir to cut me off until the switch over.
    I may end up owing Eir a small amount of money this way so I will pay this with a manual transfer once their final bill is correct.

The €10 less they show as discount.

Where did this €25 come from?

I might be getting the Vodafone €25 offer mixed up with the eir one - but that would not include any sports pack or TV or VOIP

I just did a quick calculation against what I understand to be Airwire prices for the service received from eir presently.
    150Mb/s broadband at €49.00 per month.
    [HTML]contract: 18 month 12 month
    move: 00.00 99.00
    broadband: 882.00 588.00
    router: 00.00 00.00
    Port phone: 15.00 15.00
    Phone service: 90.00 60.00
    Paper Invoice: 90.00 60.00
    Total: 1077.00/18 822.00/12
    = 59.83/m 68.50/m[/HTML]

This compares with eir's €67.99 per month.

Not a great deal of incentive there to switch provider ........ IF my figures are correct! In addition eir just might do something with their Sports offering to make it better which would be a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Ooh, can you log into the ONT can ya? That's interesting :)

What password and username for logging into the ONT configuration page ? ;)

Ok, no one say anything.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Just got to the end of my 12 months with Digiweb. Very happy with them. One large outage last week (9 hours), when I wanted to work from home... but I'm not sure it was their issue. Other than that all good. Ping times are higher than other ISPs but I'm not a gamer that would notice. Any issue I've had, and it's only been billing and accounts, has been resolved quickly.
    Anyhow phoned up to drop down to their 150Mbps package instead of the 300Mbps I'm on and they immediately offered me a 5 Euro discount to stay on the same package for another 12 months. Figured it was no harm taking out another 12 month contract, so went with that. I *could* have saved 60 Euro but meh....

I have tried to do a comparison of Digiweb charges and Eir's, but failed to get sufficient good information without going through their form which IMO is completely unnecessary, so lost interest.

I used Eir's Chat service to sales a few minutes ago, and asked one question ..... do I have to give notice to eir if I want to switch provider.
    First 'Nadeem' wanted to know if I am an eir customer!
    Obviously understanding English was not a strong point!

After I told her to read it again, she asked for my account details (why?). Told her they were not to hand.
    She told me to ring 1901 (who are not there presently! Idiot!
    Then asked if there was any ELSE she could help with ..... and repeated that several times.
    I insisted on having my question answered, and finally got a 'yes' and an immediate cut off of Chat. :D
    I never got a chance to ask how much notice I needed to give :D

Things have not changed a lot after all!

I hate having to deal with such stupid questions when all I wanted was some basic information that should be openly available.

I just did a quick calculation against what I understand to be Airwire prices for the service received from eir presently.
    150Mb/s broadband at €49.00 per month.
    [HTML]contract: 18 month 12 month
    move: 00.00 99.00
    broadband: 882.00 588.00
    router: 00.00 00.00
    Port phone: 15.00 15.00
    Phone service: 90.00 60.00
    Paper Invoice: 90.00 60.00
    Total: 1077.00/18 822.00/12
    = 59.83/m 68.50/m[/HTML]

This compares with eir's €67.99 per month.

Not a great deal of incentive there to switch provider ........ IF my figures are correct! In addition eir just might do something with their Sports offering to make it better which would be a bonus.

That breakdown is good, thanks. It shows in my case I will save a considerable amount when I switch to airwire. I don't need the phone service, paper invoice or sports. And since I've yet to hear a single bad report about airwire I think the 18 month contract is the way to go.

I have tried to do a comparison of Digiweb charges and Eir's, but failed to get sufficient good information without going through their form which IMO is completely unnecessary, so lost interest.

I used Eir's Chat service to sales a few minutes ago, and asked one question ..... do I have to give notice to eir if I want to switch provider.
    First 'Nadeem' wanted to know if I am an eir customer!
    Obviously understanding English was not a strong point!

After I told her to read it again, she asked for my account details (why?). Told her they were not to hand.
    She told me to ring 1901 (who are not there presently! Idiot!
    Then asked if there was any ELSE she could help with ..... and repeated that several times.
    I insisted on having my question answered, and finally got a 'yes' and an immediate cut off of Chat. :D
    I never got a chance to ask how much notice I needed to give :D

Things have not changed a lot after all!

I hate having to deal with such stupid questions when all I wanted was some basic information that should be openly available.

bloody weekend staff , and a bank holiday one at that .. you would have been better on tuesday or in the week maybe

MBSnr wrote: »
    Ok, no one say anything.....

spoilsports - I don't want to change anything or any parameters I just want to have a look , i'm inquisitive ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

What’s this moving charge and what does it cover ? I paid nothing moving from eir to sky

Cyrus wrote: »
    What’s this moving charge and what does it cover ? I paid nothing moving from eir to sky

Because of the restructure of the pricing on open eir FTTH switching ISP now costs the new provider €170. This means that some provider now have no choice but to pass on at least some of that charge to the customer.

When did you move to sky FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Must be 5 months ago now had eir initially and then to sky who were charging 50 a month for 300mb that time

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

MBSnr wrote: »
    One large outage last week (9 hours), when I wanted to work from home... but I'm not sure it was their issue.

It wasn't. There was an open eir fibre outage last week that took out Ballinrobe and a good chunk of the surrounding area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement