Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Cyrus wrote: »
    Must be 5 months ago now had eir initially and then to sky who were charging 50 a month for 300mb that time

That was before the price restructure it's currently €50 to switch to sky, 42.50 for 6 months and €85 after that.(300mb package) 12 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

tuxy wrote: »
    That was before the price restructure it's currently €50 to switch to sky, 42.50 for 6 months and €85 after that.(300mb package) 12 month contract.

I'm pretty sure there was a €50 "activation fee" when switching even on the old Sky packages. I'm not sure how Cyrus avoided it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

To be fair I was in the first week they had it and they waived the fee on the basis that I already had it installed must have been a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

cnocbui wrote: »
    My son has been working on this and may have a solution. I have sent the details to leex. Perhaps he/she can verify if it works and then I could make it public.

The main reason we replaced the F2000 was because it was losing packets with increasing severity and would then crash, requiring a hard reboot. This was daily. That was in addition to it's terrible WiFi range.

So having the F2000 on the front end is not an option.

After trialing these changes for past 24 hours it looks like all is working as expected. Phone connection is not dropping after a period of time. Thanks for your help Cnocbui.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

Does ONT box need separate power plug or can it be powered via POE?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Does ONT box need separate power plug or can it be powered via POE?

It needs separate power. POE is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

There are poe to 12v adapters if you really wanted to try

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Cyrus wrote: »
    There are poe to 12v adapters if you really wanted to try

...but check that they are gigabit-capable. Passive PoE devices that aren't gigabit-capable are much simpler and easier to make (they use two pairs for data and two for power, but gigabit needs all four pairs for data) so caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 peter33

That breakdown is good, thanks. It shows in my case I will save a considerable amount when I switch to airwire. I don't need the phone service, paper invoice or sports. And since I've yet to hear a single bad report about airwire I think the 18 month contract is the way to go.

Yes, how the Year has flown. On 150mb package, Test several times a week (cause I still can't believe it) to the same New York Server every time result 145/26. Never a problem But I know I can phone a Galway number and talk to an understanding human being in seconds if needed. Yes I pay 50pm but I way paying Sky 47pm for 4mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's got nothing to do with the HG8010H. It's broadcast from the router.

You can disable it from the My Eir website.

Login and go to More > eir Wifi and there should be an option there to disable it.

I had no problem disabling this 'feature' on the Eir website, as per Navi's post. Even got an email from Eir to confirm the deactivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I found a voucher in my router box -if I get someone (new subscriber) and they place an order for FTTH from Digiweb I get 30euro and they get 30euro

now ... where can I find a friend? .. I aint got any :'o

487346.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

I found a voucher in my router box -if I get someone (new subscriber) and they place an order for FTTH from Digiweb I get 30euro and they get 30euro

now ... where can I find a friend? .. I aint got any :'o

487346.jpg

I'll be your friend for the low low price of €76.98 per month.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

peter33 wrote: »
    Never a problem But I know I can phone a Galway number and talk to an understanding human being in seconds if needed.

If you're being charged 50 EUR, you should give us a shout. We lowered the price to 49 EUR a while ago. That also applies to you and will be applied retroactively to the date we changed the pricing, if it didn't happen automatically.

It's only 1 EUR/month, but every little helps, I guess.

so the initial appointment for installation is next week... our house is very old and the copper cable comes into a porch area (no attic) there... its connected to a very old distribution point and then wired back into the house with a standard rj11 4 wire cable which runs a long way to another room (again very old setup.) now the porch does not have any electrical sockets so where the main cable comes in, the engineer most likely wont be able to bring the fibre cable into the same location.

Will he drill a hole in the exterior wall to bring the cable into another room?

Main cable coming in :

btuqG82

Main cable runs through gutter and enters porch :

lRKYQVr

Video wrote: »
    Will he drill a hole in the exterior wall to bring the cable into another room?

Will it be an overhead install from a pole?
    If so drilling a new hole in an exterior wall is the standard procedure.

Will it be an overhead install from a pole?
    If so drilling a new hole in an exterior wall is the standard procedure.

yes it is an overhead install, updated the original post with pics. the original cable runs through the gutter or whatever you call it and into the porch.

i'm just unsure how he could pull off a hole in the wall, does he apply a sealant or something afterwards? :D apologies for being stupid but i've no idea how they install these things

I'm not sure exactly. I would expect something is used to seal it. The hole is tiny, mine was much neater than I expected it to be. The cable is secured up high, ran along a drain pipe to the ground floor and enters the house here.
    fbfa221b3754192d36263d0ceb49d165.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Just got installed today. Very easy, took just under two hours. Put the box exactly where I hoped it would go. Delighted with the speed. 240 on WiFi standing beside the router so I’m getting the full 300 package.

I’m with Digiweb and when I logged into the Fritzbox it says there is an active telephone number. It’s an 057 number so local for here. I haven’t signed up to a phone package with them. Would this number be active does anyone know? I’ll phone customer support later and ask if no one here knows. I don’t want to get charged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Gilbey

Fibre to the home suppose to be live in my area from 2day. However when I contacted Vodafone and sky they say it's not. Any reason for this. How long before they can sell me a package?? Thanks in advance!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Gilbey wrote: »
    Fibre to the home suppose to be live in my area from 2day. However when I contacted Vodafone and sky they say it's not. Any reason for this. How long before they can sell me a package?? Thanks in advance!!

When does the Airwire checker say it will be ready?

I placed an order today as mine is also due today, and the guy initially said it would be ready to order by the end of the day, but was able to process the order, and I have an install date of Monday.

Also not sure why you'd be looking at Sky unless you have TV or something with them as they are the most expensive option thus far.

Airwire and Digiweb seem to be the most popular choices

I'm hoping I get a sound engineer on Monday as I have a good idea of how/where I want to run the cable - fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Gilbey

When does the Airwire checker say it will be ready?

I placed an order today as mine is also due today, and the guy initially said it would be ready to order by the end of the day, but was able to process the order, and I have an install date of Monday.

Also not sure why you'd be looking at Sky unless you have TV or something with them as they are the most expensive option thus far.

Airwire and Digiweb seem to be the most popular choices

I'm hoping I get a sound engineer on Monday as I have a good idea of how/where I want to run the cable - fingers crossed!

On airwire it says 2day. The 7th Aug. Vodafone doing a good deal at the moment. Sky just wanted to see what deal they would do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gilbey wrote: »
    On airwire it says 2day. The 7th Aug. Vodafone doing a good deal at the moment. Sky just wanted to see what deal they would do for me.

That's because Vodafone etc. are very slow to update their database. It's not that they can't order it. Airwire is just more on the ball.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DaveToomey

Hey good folks...

Which FTTH providers are TRUE unlimited (no hidden cap)

I have a child with autism that is attached to his iPad with YouTube on 24/7 (well, it feels like that) and a teenager that loves to play games like Fortnite a lot and a wife that wants to stream box sets in 4k.

I just want football on Sky Sports :)

So, I need to make sure I'm not capped.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

DaveToomey wrote: »
    Hey good folks...

Which FTTH providers are TRUE unlimited (no hidden cap)

Dave
    Eir and Airwire , some local providers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Westnet also .. but they only service Mayo and border areas to Mayo.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2 30isthenew20

has anyone else pre-ordered , service was supposed to be activated in the area yesterday and i've still no appointment date, just says pending on the eir site... ive pre-ordered this weeks ago and thought it would go faster once the activation date came around.

Like someone said previously, christmas morning has come and gone with no presents

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

has anyone else pre-ordered , service was supposed to be activated in the area yesterday and i've still no appointment date, just says pending on the eir site... ive pre-ordered this weeks ago and thought it would go faster once the activation date came around.

Like someone said previously, christmas morning has come and gone with no presents

Pre-ordering doesn't make it any quicker.

The order request would have went in yesterday on the date it went live.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

limnam wrote: »
    The order request would have went in yesterday on the date it went live.

...unless UG is perversely rejecting those orders, like it is for Killadoon in Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

medoc wrote: »
    Just got installed today. Very easy, took just under two hours. Put the box exactly where I hoped it would go. Delighted with the speed. 240 on WiFi standing beside the router so I’m getting the full 300 package.

I’m with Digiweb and when I logged into the Fritzbox it says there is an active telephone number. It’s an 057 number so local for here. I haven’t signed up to a phone package with them. Would this number be active does anyone know? I’ll phone customer support later and ask if no one here knows. I don’t want to get charged for it.

Not sure about that number. We took the phone service with Digiweb and there was a local temp number there before they ported us over, which due to an issue, took 48 hours. I didn't connect up our phone to the Fritzbox before they ported us over as I was concerned it might get 'activated' if an outgoing call was made and cause billing issues.

Best ask customer service. Their web chat is great for these type of things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement