Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 poolfandar

In the process of selecting a provider for ftth.

Has anyone gone with vodafone recently? Seems they're doing free installation with 25 per month for first 6.

Anyone availed of this? Sky rep telling me there's no way to could be doing a free install!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mycarwontgo

Yes,
    I was offered same package today €25x6..€55x6 months.. FUP only 500gb on 150mb package.
    He did say installation and switch was free though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

FUP only 500gb on 150mb package.
    Don’t listen to sales reps, they’ve no idea... One of them told me it is 1tb for all packages “ but it is ONLY €1 for every gigabyte over the limit “

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Vodafone are hillarious. Are they getting any training or a manual ?

Looks like they are flying totally blind.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Marlow wrote: »
    Vodafone are hillarious. Are they getting any training or a manual ?

Looks like they are flying totally blind.

/M

Have you ever talked any Eir reps?
    Being able to bull**** to people without it playing on their conscious is the main requirement for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

Hey All. For those of you with 300 or 1000 Mb FTTH package. What upload speed do you get to YouTube or Google Drive and Dropbox? I am only getting ~5 Mb to dropbox and approx ~18 Mb to Google / Youtube which seems very poor. Download speed from both is great only upload is slow. Running a speedtest shows that I have almost the full 100 Mb upload speed but these tests make multiple connections when running the tests. P.S. I am connected over Ethernet not using wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

MBSnr wrote: »

Best ask customer service. Their web chat is great for these type of things.

I was on to them via web chat. Every connection comes with a local number as standard that can be activated or replaced with a porter number if the customer takes a fall package. My package is Broadband only.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Hey All. For those of you with 300 or 1000 Mb FTTH package. What upload speed do you get to YouTube or Google Drive and Dropbox? I am only getting ~5 Mb to dropbox and approx ~18 Mb to Google / Youtube which seems very poor. Download speed from both is great only upload is slow. Running a speedtest shows that I have almost the full 100 Mb upload speed but these tests make multiple connections when running the tests. P.S. I am connected over Ethernet not using wireless.

the issue isnt your side

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

You can do a few tests on

http://speedtest.tele2.net/

you can use single threaded ftp/http etc

It's based in amsterdam so should give a good indication for european servers.

limnam wrote: »
    You can do a few tests on

http://speedtest.tele2.net/

you can use single threaded ftp/http etc

It's based in amsterdam so should give a good indication for european servers.

Very interesting site. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Download is perfect and is hitting peaks of over 900 Mb. I couldn't get the http upload to work (curl: (3) <url> malformed) but I tried ftp. From a Linux VM it maxed out the 100 Mb upload but from filezilla on my Windows PC it only used around 10 Mb upload. Any idea why that would be?

• Advertisement

Very interesting site. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Download is perfect and is hitting peaks of over 900 Mb. I couldn't get the http upload to work (curl: (3) <url> malformed) but I tried ftp. From a Linux VM it maxed out the 100 Mb upload but from filezilla on my Windows PC it only used around 10 Mb upload. Any idea why that would be?

I could just throw out the windows TCP/IP stack is rubbish. But it's not the 90's! ;)

I don't really use windows in anger so i'm not sure.

Maybe have a look for any auto tuning / bandwidth reservations etc

But it looks like you've at least ruled out the actual connection and brought it closer to the OS

There's a few troubleshooting steps on

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/easy-fix-windows-10-slow-internet/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shotgundivorce

Finally got ftth installed on Tuesday. It was great for the first day and half. Woke up Thursday morning to a flashing red los light.

Got onto eir customer service who gave a few things to try. Nothing worked so they logged it. A kn engineer called today and checked things out. Turns out the fibre cable outside is damaged somewhere.

He said he needed the guys with the cheery picker to sort it out buy couldn't give any time frame as to when it'll be sorted.

At least it was nice for about 36 hours though!

Finally got ftth installed on Tuesday. It was great for the first day and half. Woke up Thursday morning to a flashing red los light.

Got onto eir customer service who gave a few things to try. Nothing worked so they logged it. A kn engineer called today and checked things out. Turns out the fibre cable outside is damaged somewhere.

He said he needed the guys with the cheery picker to sort it out buy couldn't give any time frame as to when it'll be sorted.

At least it was nice for about 36 hours though!

Fairly concerning

I assume there will be no charge for the period ?

Is it a pc/laptop that may have come with bloatware on it? Must be software based since your windows driver is working fine or else the VM would be impacted.

Fairly concerning

I assume there will be no charge for the period ?

That depends entirely on the provider. Because OpenEir is charging them, once the connection has been provisioned.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Quiksilver

Hi All,
    Got FTTH installed yesterday and was just wondering what kind of speeds people have been getting?
    I sprung for the Gigabit package as i've been on slow internet forever and wanted a taste of the fast life.
    After the install i was getting speed of 500-600Mbs, While absolutely fantastic is seemed a bit lower that what i was expecting for gigabit, i was expecting it to average out around the 900Mbs and down to the 800Mbs during peak times.
    But today, it seems to be stuck at 70-90Mbs all day.
    Is this the usual kinda speeds i should be expecting?

Quiksilver wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Got FTTH installed yesterday and was just wondering what kind of speeds people have been getting?
    I sprung for the Gigabit package as i've been on slow internet forever and wanted a taste of the fast life.
    After the install i was getting speed of 500-600Mbs, While absolutely fantastic is seemed a bit lower that what i was expecting for gigabit, i was expecting it to average out around the 900Mbs and down to the 800Mbs during peak times.

We would need more info on who your provider is and what hardware you're using.
    I'm only on 150 Mbps with Eir but I've seen a speedtest lower than 142 Mbps

With Eir, have what looks like their standard Eir box with a second router setup as a repeater. All speed tests on a hard wire connection. Just strange after less than 24Hr the speed took a complete nose dive. I would assume that people should get on average 70-80% of the rated speed.

Hi All,

2.4g?

Hard Wired.

• Advertisement

Hard Wired.

That's odd

Sure it's not a hardware issue ?

Got in contact with Tech Support, the guy was completely baffled as to how the speeds were so low. Went through loads of troubleshooting with him but got no resolution to the slow speeds. He logged it as a low speed issue and requested tech support to check the exchange.

Marlow wrote: »
    That depends entirely on the provider. Because OpenEir is charging them, once the connection has been provisioned.

/M

Is there no SLA's from open air to the isp?

Can hardly charge indefinitely for no service?

Is there no SLA's from open air to the isp?

Can hardly charge indefinitely for no service?

It's a residential product. OpenEir has 2 weeks if offline time, I think (need to look it up) before there are any repercussions.

/M

There is a new Fritz!OS version out for Fritzboxes.

Version 7.12 .. I've seen the update available both on 7530, 7490 and 7590, so it seems to be available across the board.

Updates are as follows:

* Over 50 new features and improvements: more performance and convenience in the wireless network, Mesh and Smart Home
    * Seamlessly connected in the Mesh: Mesh WiFi steering, shared telephone book and Smart Home
    * Well informed: Important information arrives simply and directly at the email address of your MyFRITZ! account
    * New in the internet: more information on DSL, faster LTE and expanded VPN functions
    * Added value for FRITZ!Fon: easy sharing of access to the wireless guest access, direct blocking of telephone numbers, and much more
    * Practical to operate: quick overview of updates for FRITZ! products, LEDs can be switched off
    * Stronger support for new products: FRITZ!Repeater 3000 and FRITZ!DECT 400 Smart Home switch

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I notice that the 7560 International model still only has v7.01 available. They've been more than a little slow in updating this, while the German version, moved to 7.10 in April, then 7.11 and now 7.12.

Even older models have got both German and Intl updates before the 7560. I thought this was a fairly flagship model used by many ISPs before the 7530 started replacing it, so it's a surprise. Perhaps they ran into an issue - but as far as I know the functionality is the same across the hardware and only the localisation and interface language is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Quick question. Anyone with Airwire, are you currently seeing issues with Netflix?

Sky box, xbox and phone only half loads the lists and stream is really low quality if it even starts. No issues with speed, says it can reach the Netflix servers. I’ve rebooted router too.

Knocking WiFi off on the phone and putting it on 4G and it loads no problem. Just wondering if Airwire is having an issue.

chris_ie wrote: »
    Quick question. Anyone with Airwire, are you currently seeing issues with Netflix?

Sky box, xbox and phone only half loads the lists and stream is really low quality if it even starts. No issues with speed, says it can reach the Netflix servers. I’ve rebooted router too.

Knocking WiFi off on the phone and putting it on 4G and it loads no problem. Just wondering if Airwire is having an issue.

Yes exactly the same as you since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Yes exactly the same as you since yesterday.

Cool, not just me then! Tried it through VPN there and no issues. Dropped the support mail a message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

chris_ie wrote: »

Ah, glad not just me :) Dropped into this forum on off change I spotted someone reporting similar, I'll sit tight so...confirming VPN doing job as workaround

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement