Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

lampsie wrote: »
    Ah, glad not just me :) Dropped into this forum on off change I spotted someone reporting similar, I'll sit tight so...confirming VPN doing job as workaround

Which VPN provider do you use? Netflix Blocked PIA for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Which VPN provider do you use? Netflix Blocked PIA for me.

Using Windscribe, got a 'lifetime' subscription last year for around $30 I think...just use their chrome extension occasionally when stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭celt262

Hi everyone. I'm moving to a house shortly which has rural broadband available.

I'm just wondering who to ring to get it setup there is no connection currently, do I have to go through Eir or can u use any provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

celt262 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm moving to a house shortly which has rural broadband available.

What type of rural broadband is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Marlow wrote: »
    There is a new Fritz!OS version out for Fritzboxes.
    Thankyou Marlow...with Airwire and our netflix on tv and ps4 refused to start but on imac/iphone and atv it worked..was onto netflix chat for ages...and decided to check here of all places... and even though the fritzbox said os was up to date.. at 7.10... I checked and it then showed 7.12... updated and netflix working again..:):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Thankyou Marlow...with Airwire and our netflix on tv and ps4 refused to start but on imac/iphone and atv it worked..was onto netflix chat for ages...and decided to check here of all places... and even though the fritzbox said os was up to date.. at 7.10... I checked and it then showed 7.12... updated and netflix working again..:):):):)

Wasn't the update. Mine has started working again now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Wasn't the update. Mine has started working again now too.
    must be a coincidence then as had tried just before updating to no avail...

Though maybe the chat person...- not a bot as grammatical errors in chat.. had raised my issue up higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Just got a response from Airwire. The issue wasn’t with them but they’ve rerouted Netflix traffic to another server which has improved things greatly.

Again, the support from Airwire is great. I can’t imagine getting a quick response from other providers that fast, let alone a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭celt262

tuxy wrote: »
    What type of rural broadband is available?

It is the one that comes along the phone lines. Apologies but i wouldn't be well up to speed on all this. I know that the next door has in and its piped into the house from a box at the entrance and it was done by Eir and they are with Eir for broadband.

Edit: It's fibre to he home

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

celt262 wrote: »
    I'm moving to a house shortly which has rural broadband available.

I'm just wondering who to ring to get it setup there is no connection currently, do I have to go through Eir or can u use any provider?

Enter the house Eircode here - https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Airwire are highly recommended here on boards but others are also available - https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Anyone have the spreadsheet comparing the different FTTH packages? I searched back a few pages but couldn't see it !

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

With airwire myself had that issue for a day and a bit thought it was the radio channel I was on as seems one of my neibhours decided to move themselves right into what was an empty channel that I had occupied changed channel and the quality immediately upscaled did not know there was a ISP issue with Netflix at the time but it resolved fairly quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

B Rabbit wrote: »
    Anyone have the spreadsheet comparing the different FTTH packages? I searched back a few pages but couldn't see it !

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110230713&postcount=152

It's most likely out of date now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shotgundivorce

limnam wrote: »
    Fairly concerning

I assume there will be no charge for the period ?

Just got sorted today. They had to redo the install. Eir are crediting my account with 20 euro for the loss of service

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Just got sorted today. They had to redo the install. Eir are crediting my account with 20 euro for the loss of service

Good news! :)

Redo? failed cpi standards or the cable was actually damaged along the length. I've never seen a cable with a break other than on the ends either in cradle or in dp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

just letting people know there is new update for FritzBox if your box hasnt already updated itself:

New in FRITZ!OS

Over 50 new features and improvement's: more performance and convenience in the wireless network, Mesh and Smart Home
    Seamlessly connected in the Mesh: Mesh WiFi steering, shared telephone book and Smart Home
    Well informed: Important information arrives simply and directly at the email address of your MyFRITZ! account >more
    New in the internet: more information on DSL, faster LTE and expanded VPN functions
    Added value for FRITZ!Fon: easy sharing of access to the wireless guest access, direct blocking of telephone numbers, and much more
    Practical to operate: quick overview of updates for FRITZ! products, LEDs can be switched off >more
    Stronger support for new products: FRITZ!Repeater 3000 and FRITZ!DECT 400 Smart Home switch

EDIT: Soz , just looked backwards in this thread and noticed Marlow already advised

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110933318&postcount=9716

medoc wrote: »
    Just got installed today. Very easy, took just under two hours. Put the box exactly where I hoped it would go. Delighted with the speed. 240 on WiFi standing beside the router so I’m getting the full 300 package.

I’m with Digiweb and when I logged into the Fritzbox it says there is an active telephone number. It’s an 057 number so local for here. I haven’t signed up to a phone package with them. Would this number be active does anyone know? I’ll phone customer support later and ask if no one here knows. I don’t want to get charged for it.

I with Digiweb and same thing, didnt take the phone package but a local 071 number in my fritzbox settings (although its an 07196 number and 96 seems to be Leitrim I think, not Sligo) but yeah I hooked up a DECT phone to the fritzbox and phone that number from my mobile phone and it run the DECT handset - so working . But same as you I havent made a call out on that number (to my mobile or any other number) just in case it activates the VOIP and I get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

So had my appointment to install and it unfortunately wasn't successful.

Engineer/Technician was incredibly sound and happily installed it how I wanted it, but sadly there wasn't any light/signal at the DP and so had to be deferred to another day.

Still - progress!

So had my appointment to install and it unfortunately wasn't successful.

Engineer/Technician was incredibly sound and happily installed it how I wanted it, but sadly there wasn't any light/signal at the DP and so had to be deferred to another day.

Still - progress!

yeah shame that - i had it installed on first engineer visit, just about. It was touch and go for a moment because he thought it was a blocked duct.

First thing he done with us was lifted the chamber cover, opened up the DP and checked for a light and said "well there's a light there so thats good"

So i sort of like got the idea that if there was no light at the DP that would have been an instant failed install. I didnt realise that they done the rest of the install even if there was no light at the DP box .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

2 days to install ... I've got a decent plan setup for installation.. fingers crossed for a nice engineer now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

has anyone had kn install ducting?

was chatting to an engineer who said they have a civs section who will install ducting etc

any rough figures on cost?

heres a point ... if the blocked part of the ducting is not on your land i.e. underneath the public pavement or underneath the road, are you as a homeowner liable for the cost to unblock it or dig up road etc / lay another duct under the road or pavement?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

heres a point ... if the blocked part of the ducting is not on your land i.e. underneath the public pavement or underneath the road, are you as a homeowner liable for the cost to unblock it or dig up road etc / lay another duct under the road or pavement?

No. That's OpenEIRs problem.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

I didnt realise that they done the rest of the install even if there was no light at the DP box .

No I believe he was entitled to leave, but he was sound and realised i'd taken the day off to facilitate the works. I wanted to run the fibre in 15 metres of crawl space and so he kindly assisted me to do so.

I've been given an estimated resolution date of 29th September(!) as apparently there is an issue with a duct further up the line - everything is overhead for about 3KM or so from what I can see so it must be very far up the line.

I hope this is a very generous placeholder date!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

limnam wrote: »
    has anyone had kn install ducting?

was chatting to an engineer who said they have a civs section who will install ducting etc

any rough figures on cost?

Ok that lad shouldn't have told you that yes they have a civil arm who may approach you and do the work for a fee like any other civil contractor but by no means is an encounter guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Decided to go with Airwire for the fact that I know I can pick up the phone and quickly talk to a person if anything goes wrong.
    Tommy also made it very easy to sign up over the phone. 10/10.

Hopefully installation goes well !

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Does the engineer show up with the modem with eir? i haven't got the modem yet and it's installation day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

Video wrote: »
    Does the engineer show up with the modem with eir? i haven't got the modem yet and it's installation day

Hope it is Installation Day for you......:)

I got a text last Thursday (8th Aug) saying it was Installation day for me last Monday 12th - woohoo

Nobody showed up.....:eek:

Rang on Tuesday 13th and was told there was "an issue with a 3rd party provider" and Eir made another appointment for tomorrow (Fri 16th).

Received a phone call this morning cancelling the appointment as "the DP is not active" :mad:

If the DP is not active how can they even be making appointments.

This stuff isn't difficult - Eir making a mess of even the simple things...!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement