Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Hope it is Installation Day for you......:)

I got a text last Thursday (8th Aug) saying it was Installation day for me last Monday 12th - woohoo

Nobody showed up.....:eek:

Rang on Tuesday 13th and was told there was "an issue with a 3rd party provider" and Eir made another appointment for tomorrow (Fri 16th).

Received a phone call this morning cancelling the appointment as "the DP is not active" :mad:

If the DP is not active how can they even be making appointments.

This stuff isn't difficult - Eir making a mess of even the simple things...!!!

Ive seen that alot over this thread...still no word from the engineer, any word on when yours will be active?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

Video wrote: »
    Ive seen that alot over this thread...still no word from the engineer, any word on when yours will be active?

Apparently the engineer should ring approx 1 hour before he gets to you so hopefully you will still be ok...

Back to the waiting game for me...:)

Airwire showing as "Fibre to the Home (150-1000 Mbit/s) Available" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Received a phone call this morning cancelling the appointment as "the DP is not active" :mad:

If the DP is not active how can they even be making appointments.

This stuff isn't difficult - Eir making a mess of even the simple things...!!!

Same I've had a similar experience.

How they can commission areas without testing end-to-end connectivity is beyond me.

It's possible that something has broken in the interim but given I ordered pretty much as soon as it was available it's hard to believe that this isn't a screw up.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

How they can commission areas without testing end-to-end connectivity is beyond me.

It's possible that something has broken in the interim but given I ordered pretty much as soon as it was available it's hard to believe that this isn't a screw up.

Sounds like exact same issue - my area went "Live" on 7th August

Have you got sorted since?

How long does it take to activate a DP point? :confused:

Engineer originally said there was no light at the DP and he usually calls someone at Eir to "connect it at the exchange end" but this person was out of office on the day.

He left site and my ISP since came back saying there was "an issue with a duct" and have quoted 29th September as the estimated resolution date (although he did infer that it could be resolved sooner but had no further indication).

It's frustrating, and if I was a cynical person, i'd say that given my install was supposed to be completed last year, i'd say they were rushing the rollout in order to satisfy some metrics/SLA to tick as box, leaving issues like this to be resolved as "post commissioning issues" or the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

limnam wrote:
    has anyone had kn install ducting?

was chatting to an engineer who said they have a civs section who will install ducting etc

any rough figures on cost?
    babi-hrse wrote: »
    Ok that lad shouldn't have told you that yes they have a civil arm who may approach you and do the work for a fee like any other civil contractor but by no means is an encounter guaranteed.

I do not understand this at all.

Why would not an employee of a company mention to a prosective customer, that the company provides a service which could solve a problem?

More to the point ...... why should he not have mentioned it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Why would not an employee of a company mention to a prosective customer, that the company provides a service which could solve a problem?

I'm guessing it might be a conflict of interest.

But I'm with you shouldn't be a problem.

limnam wrote: »
    I'm guessing it might be a conflict of interest.

But I'm with you shouldn't be a problem.

I am unsure if a conflict exists ...... do any of the service providers for broadband provide this service?
    If yes then I guess it could be conflict if they also were not mentioned.

Personally I see it as passing on information that should be openly visible to all.

I am unsure if a conflict exists ...... do any of the service providers for broadband provide this service?
    If yes then I guess it could be conflict if they also were not mentioned.

Personally I see it as passing on information that should be openly visible to all.

I was thinking more of survey finding "blocks" that don't exist.

tinfoil hat stuff! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

It's finally done!... the engineer was sound ....speed test seems to vary though, im using all cat-6 ethernet cables... the pc is capable of gigabit speeds but i dont seem to be getting the 300Mbs , im blaming my network card because im getting higher speeds over 5ghz wifi on my newer macbook

So delighted to go from 6 megs to this..

68491007-387907175244132-1522392346803568640-n.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

They've really slowed down the install in my area

The fibre cables are just bunched together hanging off the poles

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Video wrote: »
    It's finally done!... the engineer was sound ....speed test seems to vary though, im using all cat-6 ethernet cables... the pc is capable of gigabit speeds but i dont seem to be getting the 300Mbs , im blaming my network card because im getting higher speeds over 5ghz wifi on my newer macbook

So delighted to go from 6 megs to this..

68491007-387907175244132-1522392346803568640-n.png

you'll never get 300 on the 300 plan because of overheads. Max speed is about 290 download and 49 upload on speedtests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Headshot wrote: »
    They've really slowed down the install in my area

The fibre cables are just bunched together hanging off the poles

Similar story in my part of North Cork. They've recently ran fibre from Mallow to Charleville along the N20.

I've been 'Available Soon' almost twelve months now.
    Hopefully the DP's will go up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

So i finally have had FTTH installed now for about a week (nice guy from KN installed it exactly where i wanted it in about 90 minutes).

I have the 300/50 plan from Eir. So while the speeds had improved dramatically, i cannot get a consistent set of download speeds. I've had as high as 275, and as low as <10 - from the same laptop, connected via cat-6 (Admittedly through a Gigabit switch) (often within minutes of each other). The kids are saying the same thing, the speed is up and down all the time. Is this normal?

Upload is consistently >40. I just tried i there while i was typing this. I got 180 from fast.com and 60 from speedtest.net. I'm going from 6Mbps so this is obviously only annoying me because i'm paying for 300.

Is there a way to know if this is just the way it is - or might there be a problem with my input? I had always assumed that once i got fibre - it would just work consistently. Is the only way to know the speed of the network to plugin to the router by ethernet (surely the switch shouldn't matter?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

That's not normal. I get above 280Mb 24/7 on the 300Mb eir package. I have a device monitoring the connection hourly.

fast.com is not reliable for testing in my experience. speedtest should be provided you consistently use a known good server.

How are you doing the testing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

How are you doing the testing?

SamKnows box. I've had it for several years through a few different connections. I don't know if they are still giving them out.

https://samknows.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't think we have come across anyone on here yet that has had unstable speeds on FTTH.
    It has always turned out to be a hardware or software issue and in very rare cases some temporary issue at the local exchange.

I just plugged my laptop directly into the router. Speed was less than 100. Might be the laptop I guess, I’ll test it with my more powerful work laptop tomorrow. I notice the WiFi is all over the place as well. Sometimes greater than 150, mostly down at 30 ish.

I just plugged my laptop directly into the router. Speed was less than 100. Might be the laptop I guess, I’ll test it with my more powerful work laptop tomorrow. I notice the WiFi is all over the place as well. Sometimes greater than 150, mostly down at 30 ish.

Is it a dell? Also open task manager while running the test and see if the cpu usage spikes near 100%

• Advertisement

Yea it’s Dell. I’ll check cpu

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Yea it’s Dell. I’ll check cpu

Delete smartbyte comes preloaded on Dells causes slowdown

Because many won't get approached the issue is for the customer to resolve. A survey should be completed outlining the blockage or ducting then they ask the customer would they be open to being contacted and if so somebody may be in touch it's hit and miss not all get contacted maybe that'll be changing as they get more civil crews but they're not to:
    A tell a homeowner that someone will be out.
    B assume pricing on things they don't know
    C tell the customer it'll all be done the way they want it.
    All that gets discussed with the civils IF they show up. The idea is the homeowner should organise their own civils and not hold out hope of being contacted because a tech told that someone would be.

Delete smartbyte comes preloaded on Dells causes slowdown

Should be stickied at this point but there's not really an appropriate place to put it.

Is there a way to know if this is just the way it is - or might there be a problem with my input? I had always assumed that once i got fibre - it would just work consistently. Is the only way to know the speed of the network to plugin to the router by ethernet (surely the switch shouldn't matter?)

Does everything (I.e. you and the kids machines) go through the gig switch? If so, I would remove it and any other connections from the network and test a couple of machines one by one directly via ethernet to the router. Also try a couple of different cables if you can. At least then you can eliminate the switch as being the cause of the issue, and then it would be reasonable to assume that the issue is with the router or further upstream, and you can get on to your ISP then.

This is more than likely what they'd ask you to do before replacing the router or escalating further in any case.

Because many won't get approached the issue is for the customer to resolve. A survey should be completed outlining the blockage or ducting then they ask the customer would they be open to being contacted and if so somebody may be in touch it's hit and miss not all get contacted maybe that'll be changing as they get more civil crews but they're not to:
    A tell a homeowner that someone will be out.
    B assume pricing on things they don't know
    C tell the customer it'll all be done the way they want it.
    All that gets discussed with the civils IF they show up. The idea is the homeowner should organise their own civils and not hold out hope of being contacted because a tech told that someone would be.

None of those A, B, or C were mentioned ....... only the fact that the civils could be done by KN ..... if I read the post correctly.

That is what you said should not have been told to the customer.

First of all the wifi is dependent on your local environment and cannot be controlled by the ISP.
    Maybe changing the Wifi channel to one less busy would solve that.

The laptop connection speed is almost undoubtedly due to a 100Mb/s NIC in the lappie.

Check each individual device plugged directly into the router and see what speed they can get from a speedtest.
    That should sort out the slower devices from the higher speed ones.

None of those A, B, or C were mentioned ....... only the fact that the civils could be done by KN ..... if I read the post correctly.

That is what you said should not have been told to the customer.

Ok maybe I read it wrong
    Excerpt from post
    " wrote:
    limnam
    has anyone had kn install ducting?

was chatting to an engineer who said they have a civs section who will install ducting etc

any rough figures on cost
    Will implies that it's a certainty that they will do it which is not the case
    The rest of it was me outlining what they cannot/can tell the customer in a circular that was sent out to the field.

Ok maybe I read it wrong
    Excerpt from post

Will implies that it's a certainty that they will do it which is not the case
    The rest of it was me outlining what they cannot/can tell the customer in a circular that was sent out to the field.

No bother I appreciate it, you sorted out my expectation.

I'll try sort it myself

• Advertisement

First of all the wifi is dependent on your local environment and cannot be controlled by the ISP.
    Maybe changing the Wifi channel to one less busy would solve that.

The laptop connection speed is almost undoubtedly due to a 100Mb/s NIC in the lappie.

Check each individual device plugged directly into the router and see what speed they can get from a speedtest.
    That should sort out the slower devices from the higher speed ones.

But sometimes he gets over 200Mbps(post) and he was doing tested wired at first.
    It's a Dell laptop, he probably has the Dell Smartbyte software installed the problem with that software comes up fairly frequently on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement