Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

I'm still looking at this issue, speed is still all over the place. I'll isolate the switch tomorrow and have a look at a direct connection between the router and my laptop with nothing else connected (which will upset the family...). The laptop isn't the issue it has gigabit-capable network card (are they still cards?) - and i do get above 250Mbps here and there. Some good advice on here, wifi speeds are generally much lower (and i get why), but i have a playstation and xbox and my laptop connected with cat-6 via the switch, i would expect these to stay above 250 (on average). I doubt it matters but i also have 3 POE security cameras hanging off the switch.

I'll have a look for smartbyte and delete it - see if that helps.

Thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'll have a look for smartbyte and delete it - see if that helps.

It's been the problem for countless people on here it really is the first thing you need to remove before further tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

does anyone know how long eir give to pay the bill? first bill is being sent on the 26th, just wondering how long after do they actually take the money...given that it's gonna be fairly high for the installation costs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Video wrote: »
    does anyone know how long eir give to pay the bill? first bill is being sent on the 26th, just wondering how long after do they actually take the money...given that it's gonna be fairly high for the installation costs etc.

It's generally at least 14 days from bill issue until they take the direct debit from my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (ASAI) issues new guidelines relating to the advertising of mobile phone and broadband services

https://www.asai.ie/press-releases/advertising-standards-authority-for-ireland-asai-issues-new-guidelines-relating-to-the-advertising-of-mobile-phone-and-broadband-services/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jem2018

OpenEir Fibre Rollout map had my property available from 11 November 2018. Ordered then with Eir. Two subsequent KN (Know Nothing) Engineer visits for survey. I should have realised that there would be problems when the KN Engineer asked where the telephone pole was. He was standing beside it when he asked the question.

Frequently spot OpenEir vans in the area for brief periods on their way to a local pub where they park up for the day from 12.30 pm.

Latest email from Eir advises that the new forecast date is 18/10/19 “as underground ducting/cable work needs to be resolved”. Have logged this with ComReg and the Department of Communications as OpenEir are either guilty of incompetence or deceit in this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Moving house next month and the new place isn’t listed for FTTH, despite the infrastructure being in place and every other house in the area (neighbours literally next to the gate) being on it. I’m guessing the issue is, the house is behind a field and the length of the driveway meant it was by-passed. Is there any way to get them to include our place (and another new house next door) or is it a case of tough luck?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Moving house next month and the new place isn’t listed for FTTH, despite the infrastructure being in place and every other house in the area (neighbours literally next to the gate) being on it. I’m guessing the issue is, the house is behind a field and the length of the driveway meant it was by-passed. Is there any way to get them to include our place (and another new house next door) or is it a case of tough luck?

It depends on the distance from the road to the house. If it is over 150m, then it will be difficult. If it is less than that, then there is a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Gilbey

Hi

My eircode had say available last week as we went live on the 7th aug. Now it says "No ports available" in orange writing....what does this mean ???

Thanks

• Advertisement

Gilbey wrote: »
    My eircode had say available last week as we went live on the 7th aug. Now it says "No ports available" in orange writing....what does this mean ???

It can mean 2 things. Would you mind sending me a PM with your eircode and I'll be happy to elaborate a bit more precisely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Gilbey

It can mean 2 things. Would you mind sending me a PM with your eircode and I'll be happy to elaborate a bit more precisely ?

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Just curios, does this mean eir never installed enough dps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

It depends on the distance from the road to the house. If it is over 150m, then it will be difficult. If it is less than that, then there is a good chance.

I'm in the same boat. From the OpenEir map, they laid cable everywhere except down the main street of the village, missing out on the estate I'm moving to.

Thing is the fiber line is only 150m from the entrance of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If the village is already served by fibre to the cabinet, that would be why.

I'd say just under 150 to the new house, ours we be almost on that. Is there anything we could do to facilitate work etc. , if it is outside the 150m. e.g. could they install at the gate and leave it up to us to do the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I'd say just under 150 to the new house, ours we be almost on that. Is there anything we could do to facilitate work etc. , if it is outside the 150m. e.g. could they install at the gate and leave it up to us to do the rest?

when you say 'do it yourself' do you mean leave the fibre dangling at the gate and you go up and splice another bit of long fibre cable to your house? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

cnocbui wrote: »
    If the village is already served by fibre to the cabinet, that would be why.

So there'd be no way to get a cable ran to the nearest fibre poll?

Checking the Sky website with the postcode, they reckon they can deliver up to 100MB, I have my doubts though. Houses on the other side of the road can get 1GBps. :mad:

Checking the Sky website with the postcode, they reckon they can deliver up to 100MB, I have my doubts though. Houses on the other side of the road can get 1GBps. :mad:

when FTTC went live into our area they werent far wrong when i checked a website and it said speeds up to 100mbps - in reality I would have got around the 7mbps mark because of how far I was from the cabinet. See 1mbps / 4mbps /80mbps /99mbps .. all speeds up to 100mbps see thats how they cover themselves ... so they werent lying :)

so - do you reckon in your situation thomas anderson that you have FTTH on one side of the road .. and then on the other side of the road FTTC? - strange if it is, but i suppose anything is possible. Uless like the same in our area where FTTC became available and then it took a few months laterand then FTTH went live

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

If you mean run continuously from your house unbroken all the way through a duct to a pole with a ftth dp on top with enough left to bring up and connect into that would be possible. It's all moot if your eircode isn't on the rollout as it's not a matter of reaching it but more of a matter do they have something for you in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭John mac

oooh available soon.....:)

just a little wait from here

trust the airwire one as there is a dp across the road .

4 years :rolleyes:

when you say 'do it yourself' do you mean leave the fibre dangling at the gate and you go up and splice another bit of long fibre cable to your house? :D

No, I mean set it up as if that's where the house is. It's be easy to house the box and there's power.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

No, I mean set it up as if that's where the house is. It's be easy to house the box and there's power.

I'd wager in that case your gatepost would have to have an eircode that qualified for FTTH or FTTG rather:pac:. Interesting notion I admit.

Ah right I am having a bit of trouble , understanding. There is a physical house (you know, one with windows and doors and someone actually living in it?) At the gate .. And it has an eircode assigned to it ..... And whats more it has an eircode down for receiving fibre to the home (ftth) ?

And then your house is a bit away from the house at the gate but not down for ftth so you somehow want to finish off the distance of the house at the gate to your house by wireless say or wire? .... Is that what you mean? Have I that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

westyIrl wrote: »
    I'd wager in that case your gatepost would have to have an eircode that qualified for FTTH or FTTG rather:pac:. Interesting notion I admit.

Not necessarily. The eircode covers a premise. Sheds are also not given an eircode, so they are covered under the same eircode as the premise that they belong to.

It depends on how this is presented to OpenEir and the installer .. if they will accomodate it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DaveToomey

Well...

The AirWire check went from 'Not Available' to 'Available Soon' and four Eir vans and a KNG van are at the cabinet.

Hopefully, we're about to get somewhere. After years and years :)

69265655_368195404104630_6650582714112016384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQk5AOffIIC81G2kIceEReCdVDh4j_1P598B9MZSKu_krOwKfoz6h65i_CNixl2QVBU3Iea7us8bgm-UTsVvSbeZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=3a272488f3c34be1fa887dd2a2b62454&oe=5E0FA063

DaveToomey wrote: »
    Well...

The AirWire check went from 'Not Available' to 'Available Soon' and four Eir vans and a KNG van are at the cabinet.

Hopefully, we're about to get somewhere. After years and years :)

69265655_368195404104630_6650582714112016384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQk5AOffIIC81G2kIceEReCdVDh4j_1P598B9MZSKu_krOwKfoz6h65i_CNixl2QVBU3Iea7us8bgm-UTsVvSbeZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=3a272488f3c34be1fa887dd2a2b62454&oe=5E0FA063

Hopefully you will go from that word on the road to ultrafast fibre broadband very soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Ok - so going to get connected up with FTTH next week.

Going with Eir (the devil you know and all that)

My house is about 130 M from the road and I have a duct into which the current copper wire was pulled through so hopefully it will be straightforward enough.

One thing is that the "official" socket that my current router is connected to is in the home office and is not the same as the one at the back of the box outside where the cable comes to the house - this is in the kitchen. Will that cause a problem as regards final speed that I will get from the router?

I am using the F2000 router which I dont think is that great but I dont think Eir supply an alternative.

Is there anything else I should watch out for when the engineer calls next week to ensure I get the max from the line

arrowman wrote: »

My house is about 130 M from the road and I have a duct into which the current copper wire was pulled through so hopefully it will be straightforward enough.

One thing is that the "official" socket that my current router is connected to is in the home office and is not the same as the one at the back of the box outside where the cable comes to the house - this is in the kitchen. Will that cause a problem as regards final speed that I will get from the router?

I am using the F2000 router which I dont think is that great but I dont think Eir supply an alternative.

Is there anything else I should watch out for when the engineer calls next week to ensure I get the max from the line

do you mean that your router is plugged into a Telephone socket at the moment? for ADSL / VDSL? - if so dont worry about it, when you get FTTH installed it does not use your telephone socket. They will place a fibre ONT box on the wall the other side (inside) where your present phone line is coming into the house through the duct (if you have an extra nice installer you can even discuss if you want the ONT in a better place , he will be accomdating - within reason)

if you dont plan to keep the existing phone line and take a VOIP package on the FTTH then your existing phone socket will more than likely become dead anyway.

Bad Diagram alert :D :

488774.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

arrowman wrote: »

Eir have been a disaster for me with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement