Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just letting people know of a 802.11ac wireless USB dongle by TP-Link.

handy for peeps who maybe have an older laptop whereby they cannot connect to 5.Ghz their new FTTH connected router.

I am using a HP Pavillion G6 - 2013 model now and it only has 802.11b/g/n wireless nic card in it. so I am going to give this little mini dongle in it see how it goes.

up to 600 Mbps transfer speeds advertised , but IRL of course with environment in your house and things that can interfere with wireless signals and depending how far your laptop is from your wireless router that could be questionable.

Might be OK for people with 150mbps and 300mbps FTTH plans.

€22 eur in Currys PC World ... but I have someone up in NI today and they are getting one from ASDA up there for me £15 ukpound (€16)

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/wireless-adapters/tp-link-archer-t2u-v3-mini-usb-wireless-adapter-ac-600-dual-band-10078593-pdt.html

Why USB wifi?
    It's straightforard to replace the internal card in most laptops. You just have to make sure there is no whitelist and if there is you will need to pick a card from the witelist.
    You can get internal wifi 802.11ac cards for €10 - €15 on the UK amazon or €5 - €10 from aliexpress in china.
    The dual internal antenna in laptops that run up behind the screen get much better signal than small usb adapters.
    I know not everyone is comfortable opening up a laptop but I'd say the majority of peope who lurk on this thread would have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    Why USB wifi?
    It's straightforard to replace the internal card in most laptops. You just have to make sure there is no whitelist and if there is you will need to pick a card from the witelist.
    You can get internal wifi 802.11ac cards for €10 - €15 on the UK amazon or €5 - €10 from aliexpress in china.
    The dual internal antenna in laptops that run up behind the screen get much better signal than small usb adapters.
    I know not everyone is comfortable opening up a laptop but I'd say the majority of peope who lurk on this thread would have no problem.

you say that , but its for people who are not comfortable with opening up their laptops like you say yourself.

an awful lot of laptops on the market in the last few years with a wireless n card in it without removable door at the bottom of the laptop now. You have to split whole laptop case or at least remove the keyboard to get to wireless nic card - its pretty tricky with some - interesting you say about the aerials at the back of the screen - I have come across a few models where the nic card ave 2 aerial sockets 'main' and 'aux' and the manufacturers have (more than likely for costs reasons) have only 1 wire going to them, just the main one.

in my present laptop which is a 2013 HP G6 I thought I would be coy and put in an AC mini wireless card - opened up the door at bottom of my laptop , put it in , the laptop was having none of it - it installed the driver perfectly - but the onboard wireless button on the keyboard would not switch it on . Tried another nic , same thing - on further reading it seems laptops like this are limited to what internal wireless cards you can put in that work . - I think ones with railink chip work OK but trouble with others - so rather than pee'ing about , easiest thing for me I decided was to get a USB AC wireless adaptor.

thing confusing me - TP-Link AC600 advertised as 600mbps .. but its a USB2 dongle and transfer of the USB 2.0 devices are 480mbps if i'm understanding right , and usb 3.0 speeds up to 4,800 Mbps - so just a little surprised it not a USB 3.0 dongle

EDIT: ah right I see on the actual TP-Link manufacturers website it lists it as speeds of up to 433mbps on 5ghz - its just the other sites saying it reaches up to 600mbps

in my present laptop which is a 2013 HP G6 I thought I would be coy and put in an AC mini wireless card - opened up the door at bottom of my laptop , put it in , the laptop was having none of it - it installed the driver perfectly - but the onboard wireless button on the keyboard would not switch it on . Tried another nic , same thing - on further reading it seems laptops like this are limited to what internal wireless cards you can put in that work . - I think ones with railink chip work OK but trouble with others - so rather than pee'ing about , easiest thing for me I decided was to get a USB AC wireless adaptor.

That's why I said you have to check if there is a whitelist, thankfully most laptop manufacters have moved away from whitelists recently.
    If the laptop is very old there may not be an 802.11ac on the white list but I recently upgraded a 2013 thinkpad and it had an intel ac card on the list which was easy to find and cheap on aliexpress.

A last resort would be to use a CH341A programmer to mod the bios and remove the whitelist. Only possibe if there is a good guide or have a good understanding of x86 assembly. There are also forums where members will mod bios for you but I don't like the idea of running a bios that has been modified by some random lad in Russia.

I just realy hate small USB WIFI adaptors the antenna are far too small, there're fine if you are in the same room as the access point or if the house has very thin partition walls but that's it.
    The USB WIFI with connections for external antenna can be good but it takes away from the portability of the laptop.

• Advertisement

2 speedtest's done one after the other - it will give you an idea of what a massive difference if you can connect by 5Ghz over 2.4Ghz.

package is digiweb 150mbps FTTH

laptop is approx 15ft from wireless router - wireless router is FritzBox 7530 Dual band AC

the 2.4Ghz figure is with the hp G6 Laptop 802.11 b/g/n internal network card.

the 5Ghz test is with the new TP-Link 600 AC dongle

488993.jpg

488994.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Video wrote: »
    curious what kind of usage are ye pulling in around these parts? i've just gone over 300gigs - everything is hd now and it's great
    Quite a bit.
    upzCYq6.png

I had no idea I'd used so much this month!

e71bef226e32966cad8ff23a45e8daee.png

My router keeps logs of some activity and it doesn't really match Eir calculations. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

3.8TB Quite a bit :)

alec76 wrote: »

It is and while I think 1TB cap is unfair on FTTH I wouldn't be against 2 or 3 TB caps as I know many providers work on a small profit margin.
    I just remembered my routers stats are inaccurate as I reset it a few days ago. And now that I think about it I know why it's so high this month, upcapped at the moment so I've been careless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Does anyone know how long it takes for DPs to be added once the fibre is laid? Fibre was run between manholes in our estate last week but I can't see any DPs. Are there a set of separate stages when the infrastructure is being put in place? The road outside the estate has FTTH for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DaveToomey

limktime wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it takes for DPs to be added once the fibre is laid? Fibre was run between manholes in our estate last week but I can't see any DPs. Are there a set of separate stages when the infrastructure is being put in place? The road outside the estate has FTTH for over a year now.

For us it's been about 8 or 9 weeks.

I've read on here people say way longer and shorter. All depends on issues and backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Are the houses in the estate marked on the rollout map as being due to get FTTH? https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

bit of update on my end, August 7th was my available date which I was able to place order, I have had 2 failed installs so far, KN engineer never turned up, apparently there is no light on the DP the first time which then was apparently resolved and I was sent a new KN appointment, Monday came and gone no one turned up again, the annoying thing is I am not getting any calls or texts to update me, taking time off work for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

That's shocking.

Just a query that maybe one of the engineers or otherwise someone else might be able to answer.

How is it that the installations can be made available to place an order by a customer without some form of continuity/end-to-end testing to the DP's? Seems that a common issue is that there is no light/connectivity to the DP.

Not a slant on the engineers at all, and it's perfectly possible there's an explanation - just seems baffling from a connectivity perspective that at best there seems to be multiple issues with it, and at worst it seems it isn't being done!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That's all down to OpenEIR and how they manage it. It also has to do with them pushing premises as "live" to shine the figures of what they've passed towards what they submit to the department. And then string those premises along for a few months.

Nothing the provider can do anything about.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Marlow wrote: »
    That's all down to OpenEIR and how they manage it. It also has to do with them pushing premises as "live" to shine the figures of what they've passed towards what they submit to the department.

Sadly this is exactly what the cynic in me thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

alec76 wrote: »

In a month, just curious what causes that level of traffic. 4k morning noon and night?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Are the houses in the estate marked on the rollout map as being due to get FTTH? https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

No, they're not. I was advised by OpenEir that we're not part of the 335k rollout but they confirmed we will be served by FTTH. It's a new estate.

The past while there has been KN and Defusion Utility vans in and around the estate. There was some work for the developer to do before they could do anything and once that was done they came a few days later and started laying the fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

No, they're not. I was advised by OpenEir that we're not part of the 335k rollout but they confirmed we will be served by FTTH. It's a new estate.

The past while there has been KN and Defusion Utility vans in and around the estate. There was some work for the developer to do before they could do anything and once that was done they came a few days later and started laying the fibre.

To answer your question it is done in separate stages by different teams. The installation of DPs could be several days or weeks after cabling. It would depend on manpower availability. There may also be a gap of several weeks then before the service is live. Keep checking your Eircode on the Airwire or other checkers.

• Advertisement

To answer your question it is done in separate stages by different teams. The installation of DPs could be several days or weeks after cabling. It would depend on manpower availability. There may also be a gap of several weeks then before the service is live. Keep checking your Eircode on the Airwire or other checkers.

Thanks, I was wondering if there was a breakdown of the stages. I've been waiting for long enough, so a while longer won't matter. I'm just glad to have confirmation we're in the plans and that work has actually begun.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

What happens after they appear in the ground is that testing and connecting up on exchange end.

As for no light at dp.
    It appears it's down to the tech to check and report it. Seems like everything is done retroactively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Marlow wrote: »
    That's all down to OpenEIR and how they manage it. It also has to do with them pushing premises as "live" to shine the figures of what they've passed towards what they submit to the department. And then string those premises along for a few months.

Nothing the provider can do anything about.

/M
    How are the numbers looking. On track for year end, at least with some 'pushing'?

tototoe wrote: »
    In a month, just curious what causes that level of traffic. 4k morning noon and night?

Yeah, I watch content in UHD when available. Many games and upgates are over 100 GB per game now. I also updated windows + software on laptopps for a few people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

First noticed outage since April, flashing red once every 2 seconds
    YKRDPPX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    YKRDPPX.jpg

Break or temp outage

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

AirBiscuit wrote: »

There was a brief outage last night as part of a nationwide upgrade process by open eir. We were notified last Friday that the first phase of the upgrade would happen today, but we only got the list of affected endpoints yesterday, and we weren't able to convert that list into a list of customers in time to send out notifications.

Apologies to any of our customers who were impacted. There are further outages planned over the next couple of weeks - we'll ask open eir to provide the list of endpoints with more than 12 hours' notice in future, and we should have a process in place to turn those into customer notifications when we get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Richieq

I have an installation booked for tomorrow. Where the telegraph pole is, the fibre will have to come through a bunch of branches. This is the route that the copper is coming in. Can they cancel the install for this? Do they cut the branches back themselves. They are in farmers field and I dont think that he would have a problem with it. Any advice before they come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They will cancel because of the branches. Cut and clear the branches if you want the install to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement